footballers and their sons

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I think there is starting to be more sons of footballers becoming footballers in their own right. Looking at the U17 Scotland team there are a few sons of footballers there. I wonder if this is becoming more common due to the attraction of being employed in football and better connections.

Was hearing that Paul Scholes 11 year old son has as great a touch as his father, think at least one of David Beckham's son will be a proffesional footballer and just look at Paulo Maldini's son Daniel (think he is under 7):

Charlie-Brown

There's always been a lot of nepotism in football and who you know being as important sometimes than how good you are.

jamboinglasgow
There's always been a lot of nepotism in football and who you know being as important sometimes than how good you are.

I know that may happen but I do think that having a father who is a pro will help development.

Charlie-Brown

Alex Ferguson & Gordon Strachan & Kenny Dalglish all had sons who managed to play at Clubs way beyond their ability because of who their Dad was.

The Old Tolbooth
Alex Ferguson & Gordon Strachan & Kenny Dalglish all had sons who managed to play at Clubs way beyond their ability because of who their Dad was.

Brian Clough too

Apparantly Robert Flecks son or nephew is going to be a great player, according to some Huns I have spoken to

jamboinglasgow
Apparantly Robert Flecks son or nephew is going to be a great player, according to some Huns I have spoken to

the player is John Fleck, is Scotland's U17 captain and has already played for Rangers (even though it was a cup game v east sterlingshire and he came on when they were 5-0 up) but from everything I hear he should be a great player.

Chad Sexington
the player is John Fleck, is Scotland's U17 captain and has already played for Rangers (even though it was a cup game v east sterlingshire and he came on when they were 5-0 up) but from everything I hear he should be a great player.

I saw him the other day playing for Scotland U17's on Eurosport.

He looked decent but he's not the new Ronaldo or anything.

Alex Ferguson & Gordon Strachan & Kenny Dalglish all had sons who managed to play at Clubs way beyond their ability because of who their Dad was.[/quote']Brian Clough too

You can't really say that Nigel Clough managed to play at a level beyond his ability.

Forest's second highest goalscorer of all time and 14 full caps for England would say to me that he deserved to play at the level he reached.

currently in the game:

Charlie Sheringham

Kasper Schmiechel

Scott Durie is meant to have alot of potential.(playing in u17 championships)

theres bound to be alot more.

Jordi Cryuff was another who played above his level when he was on contract at man utd. Saying that he done well for alaves.

Oxford City
Brian Clough too

Nigel Clough was a very good player at Forest; going to Liverpool was probably a mistake. He's been a very useful manager at Burton Albion at the Conference - surprising no League team has given him a go yet.

You often get a lot of players' sons at Youth level who never really make it. I think that having a parent in the game is useful ay a lower level but in the end it doesn't help you to make it at first team level. If your dad was a real legend the pressure can't help - look at Jack Nicklaus's sons in golf.

Hearts have had the sons of Alex Young, Terry Christie, Gordon Smith in recent years (there are probably others) and while at least a couple of those looked promising they didn't make it at Hearts at any rate.

He did nothing for 89 minutes in the U19's Scottish Cup against us and then destroyed us with one piece of magic and by far the best bit of skill in the whole match. He then scored 2 in the final v Celtic to help them win 3-2. Definetely one to watch out for though let's hope he's not a Rangers long !

Thig Ar Latha

Hearts have had the sons of Alex Young, Terry Christie, Gordon Smith in recent years (there are probably others) and while at least a couple of those looked promising they didn't make it at Hearts at any rate.

Dave Bowman started at Hearts, His father was Andy Bowman who played for Hearts in the fifties. Alfie Conn, son of Alfie Conn who played for Hearts in the fifties also played for Hearts for a couple of years in the late seventies:confused:. When Tony Ford was Manager of Hearts around 1980/81? his son was on the books at Tynecaslle.

jamboinglasgow
You mean Cesare Maldini's grandson

Imagine the pressure young Daniel must have if he takes up football when both your dad and grandad are Italian football legends.

Dave Bowman started at Hearts, His father was Andy Bowman who played for Hearts in the fifties. Alfie Conn, son of Alfie Conn who played for Hearts in the fifties also played for Hearts for a couple of years in the late seventies:confused:. When Tony Ford was Manager of Hearts around 1980/81? his son was on the books at Tynecaslle.

There has always been a lot of players kids around the game. More often that not though, they are under so much pressure to be better than their Dad and they don't make it. Managers can't afford passengers just for sentimental reasons.

Also, I can honestly say that my old man always said to me that if I was going to make it in football, it would have to be on my own abilty, as he never coached me in any way. I guess he didn't want me to recognised as Willie's son, which in a way was a good thing.

I had a trial for the current buns and the scout reminded me that I was the player now, not my Dad. Most probably the reason I ended up at Albion Rovers after that.

If I remember rightly, Bobby Conn was also at Tynecastle when I was there. When we lived in Clerwood, Gordon Marshall must have been about 6 or 7 and I seem to remember him saying that he didn't like football.

Andy Townsend's father played at Charlton back in the late 50's. He turned out to be better than his old man.

Not to forget Alex Miller's 2 sons, Greg and Graeme. Even the very poor Hibs team of the time was way beyond their abilities.

Prince Buaben

For some of the mentioned above players the Pressure will be massive..

Imagine Zidane/Beckham/Scholes laddie always compared to your old man..

One that is going on at the moment is Kasper Schmeical, who looks a good goalkeeper

Jimmy McNulty

I knew Jason Young at High School. Possibly the most talented player I ever had the pleasure playing with. Unfortunately, he got chunks kicked out of him on a weekly basis, and suffered some pretty bad injuries while still pretty young (a broken leg in his teens IIRC). Anyways, without those injuries, who knows....

Thig Ar Latha
I knew Jason Young at High School. Possibly the most talented player I ever had the pleasure playing with. Unfortunately, he got chunks kicked out of him on a weekly basis, and suffered some pretty bad injuries while still pretty young (a broken leg in his teens IIRC). Anyways, without those injuries, who knows....

Was he not in a bad Motor Cycle accident which more or less finished his career? (I think it was against Club rules to use a Motor Bike at the time)

Jimmy McNulty
Was he not in a bad Motor Cycle accident which more or less finished his career? (I think it was against Club rules to use a Motor Bike at the time)

I don't remember that (I don't remember Jason owning a bike, but stand to be corrected). He played until very recently for Penicuik Athletic (2006-2007 season?).

Thig Ar Latha
I don't remember that (I don't remember Jason owning a bike, but stand to be corrected). He played until very recently for Penicuik Athletic (2006-2007 season?).

Not a 100% certain on this by any means. Just seem to recall an article in the EEN about a very promising youngster's future in the game being at risk due to an accident. It may not have been Jason Young, but IIRC it may well have been. Mid eighties possibily.

Nigel Clough was a very good player at Forest; going to Liverpool was probably a mistake. He's been a very useful manager at Burton Albion at the Conference - surprising no League team has given him a go yet.

You often get a lot of players' sons at Youth level who never really make it. I think that having a parent in the game is useful ay a lower level but in the end it doesn't help you to make it at first team level. If your dad was a real legend the pressure can't help - look at Jack Nicklaus's sons in golf.

BC has turned down opportunities of managing at a higher level because he wants to work part-time for a club like Burton so that he gets to spend more time with his children.

Once they've grown up I can imagine Clough managing at a high level.

Jimmy McNulty
Not a 100% certain on this by any means. Just seem to recall an article in the EEN about a very promising youngster's future in the game being at risk due to an accident. It may not have been Jason Young, but IIRC it may well have been. Mid eighties possibily.

Couldn't have been JY then: He's a year younger than me, and in mid 1980s would have been 13 years old!!

Am intrigued who you'd be talking about though. Dunno why someone would risk their career doing something so risky...

Hearts Heritage

The 2 greatest to play for Hearts were

Barney%20Battles%20Snr.jpg

and

Barney%20Battles%20Jnr.jpg

Tragically BB snr died before his son was born. Celtic donated the proceeds from the stand shortly after he died to his widow.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Rumour has it that every one Pinnila's 847 illegtimate sons are spending the summer training with us to see if they are any good.

steve banks son lewis whom i'm friends with is a decent keeper , me and him get tips of banksy he takes them better than me.

Archived