BBC2 now. Real men

Tazio

Great documentary comparing the 1957 FA cup final with the 2007 FA cup final.

Christ they were tough in those days. Keepers flattened, tackles from behind, elbows and retribution.

Tough as hell. John Cumming would have loved it.

vegas-voss

Im watching it unreal how they just haul the keepers jersey off them when he is out of him.

The Wicker Man
Christ they were tough in those days. Keepers flattened, tackles from behind, elbows and retribution.

Reminds me of the 1988 Scottish Cup semi against Celtic :mad:

vegas-voss

Did you see the training compared to Preston now and the teams of 57.The 57 training is what Hearts are using now pre season no wonder we are ****e what an absolute joke.

loveofthegame

Was superb viewing, the differences between now and then are astronomical!

No subs, FA Cup Final and Man U's keeper is injured early doors (turned out to be a broken cheekbone!). He disappears off, an outfield player is put in goal and Utd get on with it. Goalie then reappears looking completely dazed and slots in at right back!!

They gave a great comparison of what Utd did would be like in todays game- for Chelsea, it would have been like Cech going off injured, Terry going in goal, Lampard moving to centre half and then Cech reappearing to play RB/RM!!

These guys were tough, so much respect goes out. Great viewing

I have to laugh at comparisons between C Ronaldo and Best, when George played real hard men put in real tackles, Ronaldo would not last 5 mins.

John Findlay
I have to laugh at comparisons between C Ronaldo and Best, when George played real hard men put in real tackles, Ronaldo would not last 5 mins.

I agree. But then C. Ronaldo would not have been playing in England if he was a footballer in the 50s and 60s.

Jack Charlton, Dave MacKay, Tommy Smith, Ron Harris, Billy Bremner would only have needed to look at some of the modern day footballers and they would have been running down the tunnel for a change of underwear and shorts.

John

Archived