Zero tolerance for match fixers? (Hearts content)

ERjambo

Alan Shearer has said there should be a zero tolerance policy for players accepting bribes. I know there was some sympathy on here for Ian Black when his name came up, but maybe players might think twice if they knew the severity of the punishment.

Have to say I agree with big Al - this kind of thing could so easily be the ruination of the greatest sport ever played.

Thoughts?

is ruination a word? learn something new every day. :)

Yes! And so is 'dictionary'!

But here's the really weird thing: the word 'gullible' doesn't appear in any English dictionary. FACT!

;)

I wonder if Le Tiss will be charged if there is.

I doubt it will be retrospective.

And yes - it's in!

When was Ian Black involved in match fixing?

News to me.

What I was about to suggest.

He bet on football matches. Some that he was involved in. Some that were against his own team. That doesn't make him guilty of match fixing though.

Fairly hard to influence the outcome of a match unless you are giving away daft penalties.

Yellows and Reds are much easier.

Fairly hard to influence the outcome of a match unless you are giving away daft penalties.

If he'd been betting on himself to get them he would've made a mint!!!!

He bet on football matches. Some that he was involved in. Some that were against his own team. That doesn't make him guilty of match fixing though.

Fixing any outcome in a match is surely match fixing? To a point at least.

I don't understand why there's not zero tolerance already to be honest.

I'd lump the betting thing in there too. Way too much potential for shady goings on, just make it a career ender and that's all the deterrent you should need.

I don't understand why there's not zero tolerance already to be honest.

I'd lump the betting thing in there too. Way too much potential for shady goings on, just make it a career ender and that's all the deterrent you should need.

My point exactly.

For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would disagree!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He's an interesting guy Shearer.

Reached a new level of insight last week when he said that "England are going to have to play whoever they draw" at the World Cup.

itsnomarooned

I take it the fact that I've just looked up "gullible" in the dictionary makes me a bit of a laughing stock!

Anyway, yes to zero tolerance but what would the punishement be? That snooker huy was banned for ages and ages but was there not a case of ana athlete appealing against an excessively large ban which effectively meant he wouldn't have been able to be an athlete any more?

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Anyone found guilty of throwing games/deliberately getting sent off etc should be going to jail & banned from football for life.

Allowayjambo1874

Anyone found guilty of throwing games/deliberately getting sent off etc should be going to jail & banned from football for life.

I get what your saying mate and whilst I agree with the sentiment there are people like Lee Hughes and Luke McCormack who have literally killed and yet are welcomed back into football with open arms. Double standards all round where football is concerned!

Son Of Anarchy

What did "le tiss" do?

Oh and just a thought but imagine if a ref was caught getting someone to bet on yellow/red cards etc eh? The games already fecked so that would be the final nail.

Allowayjambo1874

What did "le tiss" do?

Oh and just a thought but imagine if a ref was caught getting someone to bet on yellow/red cards etc eh? The games already fecked so that would be the final nail.

Tried to win spread betting on time of first throw

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/6130280/Matthew-Le-Tissier-admits-being-part-of-attempted-betting-scam-at-Southampton.html

You don't think someone getting a red card influences the outcome of a match?

You don't think someone getting a red card influences the outcome of a match?

Zactly.

(Not in yet btw!)

Probably - but to to any great enough degree suggest this interesting article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25339340

Id imagine that's almost spot on. You won't be able to make serious money backing a player to be sent off without arousing suspicion.

A sending off will have a big influence on the outcome of a match and give anyone who knows it's coming a big edge even though it won't guarantee a result. Just like card counting in black jack doesn't guarantee a win but gives you an edge and puts the odds in your favour over the long term. Plus you'll be able to get as much as you like on the result without it arousing suspicion.

Archived