What line up and formation do you think would bring the changes necessary?

Gregory House M.D.

Gregory House M.D.

We are now at our lowest ebb of the season. Our manager sadly, just isn't good enough and neither is his current system. Locke seems to believe that we have little option other than the current line up. IMO, that is a lot of pish.

Our Goalkeeper picks himself. The rest though:

RB: McGhee, McKay, Hamill, Paterson and King have all played the position. Paterson offers the most experience there and is probably the strongest of the players. Bit to think about however with his attacking abilities. McGhee otherwise.

CB: McKay, McGhee, McGowan, Wilson. From this it is obviously now Wilson and McKay.

LB: McHattie, Wilson and Beith. Wilson is probably the strongest LB at the club on performances there but he is just too experienced to move from the centre. McHattie

CM: A.King, Holt (injured), Tapping, McGowan, Beith, Robinson, Hamill. This for me is the most baffling area outwith one. Every player I mention there's stand out ability is passing IMO maybe McGowans is a bit behind the rest. The one that stands out like a sore thumb here is Hamill. Not for the right reasons either. Yet he is the player in there that is seen as indispensible. The argument being that his experience is vital. That argument is nonsense IMO. His inability is far outweighing that at the moment. King, Robinson or McGowan and Tapping in there for me.

RM: B.King, Stevenson, Paterson, Smith, Walker, Carrick. For me it's Stevenson if we play Paterson RB. Paterson if we don't.

LM: Same players as above outwith maybe Paterson. Walker. All day long.

ST: The only position baffling me more than CM. Carrick, Stevenson, Paterson, Robinson, Oliver and Smith have all played there. For me right now, Oliver deserves a go at it. If Paterson is playing RM though it's Stevenson.

Some of the options are so close it actually takes a bit of thought to seperate the abilities and what they would add to the team. Yet Locke seems to have his team for the season picked and says it's a lack of options. Utter shite.

MacDonald

Paterson McKay Wilson McHattie

King Tapping Robinson

Stevenson Oliver Walker

MacDonald

McGhee McKay Wilson McHattie

King McGowan Tapping

Paterson Stevenson Walker

When Holt returns:

MacDonald

Holt King Tapping

Stevenson Oliver Walker

Any of these teams IMO, with the organisation required, would make a big difference to our set up. Organisation that Locke sadly doesn't offer. Yet we still have people telling us a new manager wouldn't make a difference? Surely people don't actually believe this?

What would you do, outwith the obvious sacking of Locke?

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm honestly past caring as we are going down regardless. As long as we keep the club going till we get out of admin the team that is picked won't matter.

Gregory House M.D.

I'm honestly past caring as we are going down regardless. As long as we keep the club going till we get out of admin the team that is picked won't matter.

Sadly a lot of fans are getting to this stage under the current incumbent. I've been thinking it myself at times. I'd want another throw of the dice first though if I had the chance even though it is probably beyond redemption.

To an extent I am like this, although I really really dont want to see McGowan or Tapping anywhere near the team.

Gregory House M.D.

To an extent I am like this, although I really really dont want to see McGowan or Tapping anywhere near the team.

Can I ask why? I knew you weren't a fan of McGowan but Tapping? He's a good player and given the chance could be very influential in a passing line up. Locke's set up admittedly has made him look a donkey at times.

Can I ask why? I knew you weren't a fan of McGowan but Tapping? He's a good player and given the chance could be very influential in a passing line up. Locke's set up admittedly has made him look a donkey at times.

Quite simply, I dont rate him. I think he needs too much time to do too little and doesnt do the basic things well enough.

I thought Tapping played well today, better than any other time he's spent on the park. I think a three up front scenario is worth a shot since we're garbage in defence. If you have minimal resource at the back might as well throw another striker or attacking midfielder in and have a go.

Gregory House M.D.

Quite simply, I dont rate him. I think he needs too much time to do too little and doesnt do the basic things well enough.

Fair enough. I think he'll turn your opinion. He's a class act on his game. Similar to Black without the red mist.

Fair enough. I think he'll turn your opinion. He's a class act on his game. Similar to Black without the red mist.

He has too many (really) bad games to compensate for the good ones. And he is absolutely NOTHING like Ian Black!!

Gregory House M.D.

He has too many (really) bad games to compensate for the good ones. And he is absolutely NOTHING like Ian Black!!

My comparison to Ian Black is his ability to drop into positions of space and be available for the ball and his distribution. Doesn't quite offer the same defensive presence as Blackie but is probably more attacking minded than Blackie. Obviously not saying he is as good as Blackie yet but IMO he certainly could be. If not better.

A passing set up is vital to get the best out of Tapping.

When he first broke through, people seem to forget he had 3 brilliant matches on the bounce with a MoTM performance for Scotlands u21's inbetween then inexplicably started being used as a bit part and found himself out of the team down on confidence.

PoTY for the u20's as well and outshone Holt and Robinson at that level when I saw them together.

IMO it's unfair to judge him under this set up as Jason Holt has also looked a donkey at times along with all the other CM's this season.

Tayside Jambo

Agree with you about McGowan (if that's who you are referring to as donkey?). Has potential, but don't favour him as CB, think he'd be a better defensive mid type role. Tapping today put in a shift, more so that the other two in midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are now at our lowest ebb of the season. Our manager sadly, just isn't good enough and neither is his current system. Locke seems to believe that we have little option other than the current line up. IMO, that is a lot of pish.

Our Goalkeeper picks himself. The rest though:

RB: McGhee, McKay, Hamill, Paterson and King have all played the position. Paterson offers the most experience there and is probably the strongest of the players. Bit to think about however with his attacking abilities. McGhee otherwise.

CB: McKay, McGhee, McGowan, Wilson. From this it is obviously now Wilson and McKay.

LB: McHattie, Wilson and Beith. Wilson is probably the strongest LB at the club on performances there but he is just too experienced to move from the centre. McHattie

CM: A.King, Holt (injured), Tapping, McGowan, Beith, Robinson, Hamill. This for me is the most baffling area outwith one. Every player I mention there's stand out ability is passing IMO maybe McGowans is a bit behind the rest. The one that stands out like a sore thumb here is Hamill. Not for the right reasons either. Yet he is the player in there that is seen as indispensible. The argument being that his experience is vital. That argument is nonsense IMO. His inability is far outweighing that at the moment. King, Robinson or McGowan and Tapping in there for me.

RM: B.King, Stevenson, Paterson, Smith, Walker, Carrick. For me it's Stevenson if we play Paterson RB. Paterson if we don't.

LM: Same players as above outwith maybe Paterson. Walker. All day long.

ST: The only position baffling me more than CM. Carrick, Stevenson, Paterson, Robinson, Oliver and Smith have all played there. For me right now, Oliver deserves a go at it. If Paterson is playing RM though it's Stevenson.

Some of the options are so close it actually takes a bit of thought to seperate the abilities and what they would add to the team. Yet Locke seems to have his team for the season picked and says it's a lack of options. Utter shite.

MacDonald

King Tapping Robinson

Stevenson Oliver Walker

MacDonald

McGhee McKay Wilson McHattie

King McGowan Tapping

Paterson Stevenson Walker

When Holt returns:

MacDonald

Holt King Tapping

Stevenson Oliver Walker

Any of these teams IMO, with the organisation required, would make a big difference to our set up. Organisation that Locke sadly doesn't offer. Yet we still have people telling us a new manager wouldn't make a difference? Surely people don't actually believe this?

What would you do, outwith the obvious sacking of Locke?

It's a great post but I'm not sure how much of a difference overall it will make. Essentially it's a "tweak" of the existing setup (working within our confines, I know) and with all the best will in the world, our two main problems right now would still sink us. Firstly, our ability to lose soft goals and secondly our managers inability to read/change tactics when things don't go to plan. If it wasn't for these two overarching flaws, I'd say your suggestions would be bang on.

pettigrewsstylist

not sure anything can be done that will have any real effect

we are just chasing round the team now looking for shuffle improvement

IMHO the die is cast

I think we need a more physical midfield, I would go with the following:

...............McDonald

..McGhee.....McKay....Wilson....McHattie

................McGowan

...........Hamill....Stevenson

Patterson.....................Walker

................Carrick or Smith

Front three interchanging position. Teams are playing straight through the middle of us, in theory this should present a more physical barrier.

jimmy the jambo

The one biggest change I'd make is change the captain,maybe the burden is too much for Danny Wilson as I don't rate him as a playing captain,never hear him shouting instructions or having wee pep talks,if the arm band is taken off him,we might get a wee bit extra out of him as a player & this might shore the defence up,the only dilemma is who would be captain?

Hamill & it might mature him a bit? Stevenson & he might not bugger off at the first chance (second chance,he buggered off before)?MacDonald would be a good pick as he seems to give a feck & doesn't give a toss how he speaks to the players,however I feel Stevenson would be the right choice.

The OP is right

There are alternatives - which may or may not work - but which haven't been tried, for no obvious reason.

I also agree with Martin T that we need to rethink midfield.

I'd have Paterson and Stevenson in midfield. Possibly with McGowan as DM. Walker and Holt when back.

I'd be interested to see Nicholson get introduced more.

I'd give Oliver 2 or 3 games

We aren't far off. It's the manager and the style that's the problem.

MacDonald

McGhee, McKay, Wilson, McHattie

McGowan

Paterson, Robinson, King, Walker

Stevenson

Fines for hoofing the ball. Don't sit so fecking deep and absolutely no Jamie Hamill.

McDonald

McGhee McKay Wilson mchattie

McGowan

Hamill Stevenson tapping walker

Paterson

That's on the basis that hamill always plays

Agree Tapping at the start of the season seemed like he was the type of player who wanted to play the simple pass keeping possession but Locke wants the ball up the park ASAP

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Its not the formation or the players, its basic defending that's the problem. They play zonal for a start which is clearly not working, so change it. Pick up your man and stick to him.

There is zero communication at the back and I include the goalkeeper in this, so change it.

Midfield for me is not that far away, or as good as its going to get with the players we have, they can't battle it out though, so why bother, slow it down a bit, keep the ball, they are all decent technically and can pass the ball well, we have seen glimpses of this. They look lost though, no direction.

I said it months ago, we must work to defend, play for clean sheets, practice, practice, practice.

Sadly, nothing changes and that's the problem, same mistakes and the same excuses from Locke. There are a hundred things we could change and everyone has a different opinion, Locke changes nothing and that worries me more than anything.

A formation that has the players in there preffered positions and set out to have a go from the start would be a change worth considering.

McDonald

McGhee

Wilson

McKay

McHattie

Tapping

Nicholson

A.King

Stevenson

Walker

Oliver

Subs Goalie, McGowan, Robinson, B.King, Smith, Paterson, Carrick,

Defence could be tweaked if needed, Tapping to mainly sit in front of back four to protect them and set things up, midfield to take the game to the opposition, I have Stevenson in there to beef it up.

A formation which puts players in their natural positions, tactics that are designed to go and try to win a game instead of not losing a game and football played on the deck.

"I'll get my jacket" - Billy Brown.

The problem is experience in at CB. This is where the controlbof the whole team comes from and where we fall short for the first time I can remember. This suggestion I suspect wi be ridiculed rotten (as will my spelling) and about as popular as a fart in a space suit, but, I would like to see Hammil in beside Wilson like when we brought Lee Wallace in at CB a few seasons ago (cant remember why we had to do that but it worked).

Whilst I fully appreciate Hammil is no Wallace, his experience and limited abilities might be the missing link in defense.

Not beinv able to keep one of Zal or Webster has been the biggest single factor IMO in being able to compete in games.

For me Tapping has looked a shadow of the player he did in his first half dozen games or so when he looked like he really was something different ie a composed, sitting midfielder. It took SPL managers that long to realise he was one paced and easily pressured. The one good game I've seen him have since his initial burst of six was at RM against Aberdeen when his remit was obviously to protect McGowan and use the wee bit extra space you get on the wing to initiate counter-attacks. When being used in the centre he has set up ONE goal this season that I can recall and it's possibly the reason we are 14pts behind Ross County rather than 10.

Anyway, on topic I wholeheartedly agree that McGowan and Hamill should be punted, temporarily at least, due to poor form, simple as that. I've said for yonks that Paterson should be tried at RB again and I feel McGhee needs a wee rest too. It may have been tactical but McGhee(and McHattie) tucked in far too much last week, giving Celtic's wide guys and full backs acres to play in. Unfortunately for us ( fortunately for him) McHattie has nobody close to replacing him at the moment.

My team would be

Jamie Mc

RB Paterson

LB McHattie

CB ® McKay

CB (L) Wilson

RM Tapping

CM Robinson

CM Stevenson

CM A King (entirely based on him being talked up on here but what do we have to lose?)

LM Walker

CF Oliver (based on having nothing to lose!)

I really wanted to give Walker a free role behind the striker but could not come up with a decent LM option. Am I missing someone obvious???

At the risk of leaking more, attack. create a powerful striking lineup so we score at least two per match. Then we might end up with some draws.

Just an idea, who can tell, we dont have the manpower and we are going down.

What we dont want is to have some of the team wanting to stay in bed

rather than turn up for a drubbing. Some of them will already be scared to death to get up for Celtic park- thats coming up very fast.

Sorry can't be more constructive.

Nelly Terraces

With the players we have, I have no idea why he hasn't tried 3-5-2.

Indeed. He didn't even bother trying it with a gash Ross County team down to 10men when it was screaming out for it. Bit clueless really.

We aren't far off. It's the manager and the style that's the problem.

MacDonald

McGhee, McKay, Wilson, McHattie

McGowan

Paterson, Robinson, King, Walker

Stevenson

Fines for hoofing the ball. Don't sit so fecking deep and absolutely no Jamie Hamill.

I like the look of your team. McGowan would hopefully give a wee bit of protection to the defence like Barr did last 2 years. I'd swap Robinson for Holt when he is fit. I've been a bit disappointed in our midfield with Hamill, Tapping and Robinson needs changing.

After watching Stevo over the years and agree he has to play an in advanced position had done well on the right at times but ideally has to play up front or just behind the striker.

Is that Adam or Billy King you picked? I thought Adam looked decent against Wolfsburg and worth a run in the team

Tokyo Drifter

Intrigued by the thought of Paterson at the back, which is where he started out, wasn't it? The new Lee Wallace? We've been missing someone who can attack down the flanks, so it's worth a go.

Think Tapping is potentially one of the most skilful and creative players we have and I still like Robinson, so I'd have them playing most games. Think I'd have Hammil in defence as well and drop Stevo back a bit to support two strikes: Carrick and King?

Can't remember if it was this post or another one, but on the subject of captaincy, it has to be Jamie Mac if it isn't Wilson. I'd give it to him in a shot except I think it would further disrupt the team morale.

Gregory House M.D.

3-5-2 is a formation that would work as well IMO.

MacDonald

McKay McGowan Wilson

Paterson King Tapping McHattie

Walker

Stevenson Oliver

Given that Lockes ta tactics seem to be the full backs tucking in and protecting the box while the wideman plays the opposition winger it is utterly baffling he hasn't at least tried it.

Just a thought. Maybe the team is picked on the success at training and who looks better during the week.

What we need to do is learn to dive / play act more convincingly as the only games in which we've picked up points recently have been when the opposition are down to 10 men. If we can get someone sent off from the other team then we may do better.

Failing that we need to become more defensive for a few games and stem the flow of goals as are conceding far too many. In doing this we also need to make more of the set pieces we get so some serious work on the training ground in that respect would also benefit the team.

Gregory House M.D.

Just a thought. Maybe the team is picked on the success at training and who looks better during the week.

Novel idea but maybe he should start paying attention to actual games then.

Novel idea but maybe he should start paying attention to actual games then.

And replace who with who?

Alwaysinourshadows

The most annoying thing for me about the centre of midfield is that every game hamill and robinson just sit back infront of the defence even when we are attaking. Locke needs to tell them that one of them can attack while the other sits back.

willie wallace

I really wanted to give Walker a free role behind the striker but could not come up with a decent LM option. Am I missing someone obvious???

I have been thinking the same.We must use what little strengths we have and an an out and out attacking Jamie Walker seems the best option.We need someone else to fill that left side of midfield defensively but like you i cannot think of anyone.

Maybe one of the guys who watch the youth teams would have a better idea.

Gregory House M.D.

And replace who with who?

Read the OP. Hamill for a start needs replaced and I don't believe for one second that his experience is currently outweighing his flaws. The whole point in the experience argument is organisaion. We are so unorganised it is painful to watch. McGowan needs to be replaced by McKay at CB as well. We need to play our natural ball players as well and a natural forward. Even if Oliver doesn't deliver goals galore. He offers a bit of composure in passing and has a decent touch from what I have seen (which admittedly is very little).

Adam King offers more presence in midfield than most of the current midfielders outwith McGowan and is a playmaker and ball player. While I am no fan of Robinson, Robinson brings the ball out of the air 9/10 to play along the deck and is left utterly optionless with Hamill in support. Tapping and King are both good at finding space to recieve a pass along the deck and they have class distribution.

Again, the argument of "we need experience in there" will be made. We don't. Infact, we've never replicated a midfield display as good as the last time we dropped the experience out of there with Holt, Tapping and Robinson.

Gregory House M.D.

I have been thinking the same.We must use what little strengths we have and an an out and out attacking Jamie Walker seems the best option.We need someone else to fill that left side of midfield defensively but like you i cannot think of anyone.

Maybe one of the guys who watch the youth teams would have a better idea.

David Smith.

I have been slightly disappointed with Holt this year as he was often not taking enough responsibility to try things and instead playing negative passes just to keep possession. But it is clear that we are missing the continuity in the game that a player like that brings. Is he going to be back anytime soon?

Until Holt returns my main aim in changing things would be to 1) strengthen the midfield and 2) release Walker into a free role close to the striker. First thing has to be to make us harder to beat.

Macdonald

McGhee-Mackay-Wilson-McHattie

Paterson-King-Robinson-Tapping

Walker

Stevenson

Read the OP. Hamill for a start needs replaced and I don't believe for one second that his experience is currently outweighing his flaws. The whole point in the experience argument is organisaion. We are so unorganised it is painful to watch. McGowan needs to be replaced by McKay at CB as well. We need to play our natural ball players as well and a natural forward. Even if Oliver doesn't deliver goals galore. He offers a bit of composure in passing and has a decent touch from what I have seen (which admittedly is very little).

Adam King offers more presence in midfield than most of the current midfielders outwith McGowan and is a playmaker and ball player. While I am no fan of Robinson, Robinson brings the ball out of the air 9/10 to play along the deck and is left utterly optionless with Hamill in support. Tapping and King are both good at finding space to recieve a pass along the deck and they have class distribution.

Again, the argument of "we need experience in there" will be made. We don't. Infact, we've never replicated a midfield display as good as the last time we dropped the experience out of there with Holt, Tapping and Robinson.

In training he might be the best option. Reminds me of people doing their fm2014 bit and suggesting who to replace with who.

There is no options. I remember people wanting smith instead of sutton last year, and when he played he was just as bad.

We dont have the players or depth and no formation tweak or substitute will change anything. Speculate away.

Dagger Is Back

MacDonald

Hammill - defence needs an old head

McGhee

Wilson

McHattie

Robinson

Tapping

Walker

B King

Paterson

Stevenson

McKay offers more physical presence in defence and seems more keen to organise than either McGowan or Wilson. I'd start McKay alongside Wilson.

I'd consider keeping Hamill in the side but he needs to be given focused instructions.

If Hamill were to sit in front of the defence and kick everything that came his way and just pass it to the side (essentially become Jim Goodwin), he'd be perfect for our team.

Unfortunately right now, he's trying to break up attacks as well as start them and he's doing neither very well.

By the way I don't necessarily disagree with Paterson at right back

But McGlynn got absolute pelters for playing him there.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...

By the way I don't necessarily disagree with Paterson at right back

But McGlynn got absolute pelters for playing him there.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...

Possibly because he was also playing our cup winning right back in attacking midfield

Mcgowan certainly wouldn't be near my starting 11 and i would be tempted to.play Walker just off Stevenson. 3-5-2 would be my preferred formation.

Gregory House M.D.

In training he might be the best option. Reminds me of people doing their fm2014 bit and suggesting who to replace with who.

There is no options. I remember people wanting smith instead of sutton last year, and when he played he was just as bad.

We dont have the players or depth and no formation tweak or substitute will change anything. Speculate away.

When Smith started playing we got a decent bit of form.

Obviousky your in the Gary No Options camp so I'll agree to disagree.

Archived