Is there a word for ...

jambovambo

... the pluralisation of things, which can't be plural?

E.g. Craig Paterson talking about "... the Nicky Laws, the Lee McCullochs ..."

Then you get the guff about "you have to win the games against the St Mirrens, Partick Thistles ..."

Bah

I put it down to impending old age!

Never mind "what would John Smeaton do?"

What would Happy Hutton have said?

It's a horrible turn of phrase.

I can excuse it if one thing is pluralized to represent a collective group for example in a discussion about football hard men one may refer to the 'Pasquale Brunos of the game'. But when Billy Dodds says "you've got your Motherwells, your Invernesses, your Dundee Uniteds, your Aberdeens, your St Johnstones all challenging for second place'" why pluralize if you're going to name them all Billyzzssszs?

Never mind "what would John Smeaton do?"

What would Happy Hutton have said?

He would just have smacked you on the side of the head!

It's a horrible turn of phrase.

I can excuse it if one thing is pluralized to represent a collective group for example in a discussion about football hard men one may refer to the 'Pasquale Brunos of the game'. But when Billy Dodds says "you've got your Motherwells, your Invernesses, your Dundee Uniteds, your Aberdeens, your St Johnstones all challenging for second place'" why pluralize if you're going to name them all Billyzzssszs?

:thumbsup: Exactly.

Indeed. Two-year jail sentence for that, these days.

Aye they get off with things too easily nowadays. Bring back corporal punishment for poor English (and numeracy too!)

Amoruso Lets it Run ...

... the pluralisation of things, which can't be plural?

E.g. Craig Paterson talking about "... the Nicky Laws, the Lee McCullochs ..."

Then you get the guff about "you have to win the games against the St Mirrens, Partick Thistles ..."

Bah

Not sure, but thankfully there's plenty words to describe the utter welts of summarisers we have inflicted on us, like Craig Paterson, Craigan, Walker, Dodds etc which can be pluralised.

SectionDJambo

It shows up the poor language and presentation skills that some of these pundits have. Most of them are as thick as the hills, although I suppose they shouldn't need to have an honours degree in English. Just talking properly would be good.

The other one that gets me is when they come out with "he just about kept that in", when the player has kept it in, or the goalkeeper "just about kept that out", when he has made a save.

"Afters" - that's another one.

"After" is the German for "anus". And if German formed its plurals by adding an -s, which it tends not to, "Afters" would be anuses. Which I suppose brings us back round to Billy Dodds, Chick Young etc.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Why are Scottish football TV and radio programmes mostly garbage?

Except Off the Ball.

Because the bulk of their coverage is aimed at the lowest common denominator amongst their audience - Rangers and Celtic fans.

Because the bulk of their coverage is aimed at the lowest common denominator amongst their audience - Rangers and Celtic fans.

the ranjurses & sellicks of the world. :tiny:

A Boy Named Crow

Is it not a case that it is an incomplete sentence rather than inappropriate pluralisation. For example one might say "The Rudi Skacels of this world", which would refer to people who were akin to Rudi Skacel, but it has become popular to shorten this to "Your Rudi Skacels"

Aye they get off with things too easily nowadays. Bring back corporal punishment for poor English (and numeracy too!)

And hard labour for rich ones. Boom Boom

Send Sky's Alan Smith to the same set of stocks.

He has an absolutely infuriating habit of finishing sentences with the subject of that sentence, Alan Smith.

He managed three successive sentences in the Newcastle game with the subject, the duff commentator.

Archived