Trains, Railways and Trams

chimpos

I have to admit to being a bit of train and railway geek/enthusiast

One of my favourites is the old lady of wuppertal hanging train.

Interested in other weird and wonderful railways out there that are worth a visit??

Can't get the images to work....

The White Cockade

Isle of Man fella

Oldest working steam train, electric tram and mountain tram network in the world

Isle of Man fella

Oldest working steam train, electric tram and mountain tram network in the world

any pics? I want pics. :2thumbsup:

Excellent, added to the list to visit.

I particularly like the electric one, do they not also have old london underground tube trains running on the isle of man or is that the ilse of wight?

The White Cockade

I particularly like the electric one, do they not also have old london underground tube trains running on the isle of man or is that the ilse of wight?

never heard of that

must be Isle of Wight

Zig zag railway to get from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu).

Alternatively visit the new bridges from the Brutalist school of architecture going up on the Borders Railway.

I have to admit to being a bit of train and railway geek/enthusiast

One of my favourites is the old lady of wuppertal hanging train.

Interested in other weird and wonderful railways out there that are worth a visit??

Can't get the images to work....

The Schwebebahn in Wuppertal is a fantastic structure. Went there last year and fulfilled a long-held ambition to go on it. What a way to get about town. It's just a pity Wuppertal itself is such a shithole.

Matthew Le Tissier

Isle of Wight

Hannibal Lecter

The Isle of Wight has ex 1938 London Underground stock.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

The West Yorkshire railway is pretty well run. Scenic down to Whitby too. Read a great article in the Observor a few weeks back about the Talyin Railway in Wales. Narrow guage and reopened as a working railway gradually years after it was closed.

CavySlaveJambo

Did this one in Australia, 52 degree slope, felt like it was vertical. :o

Good fun it is too.

What about the sleeper between Rome and Syracuse?

Been on the Katoomba railway,which was more of a theme park ride than a railway journey.

The Lemon Express is a nice journey up the Costa Blanca ,leaving from Benidorm and heading up into the mountains,

In terms of an great journey the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago is pretty good. And those huge double decker American trains with the glass roofed carriage in the middle.

In terms of an great journey the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago is pretty good. And those huge double decker American trains with the glass roofed carriage in the middle.

That'd be the Amtrak. They actually go from somewhere further north than Chicago and all the way to LA as well, with sleeper coaches incorporated. Think it takes about 3 days for the complete journey.

I took it from Chicago to St Louis last March and it was pretty decent (albeit slow, taking 7 hours), the "observation coach" was quite good. They have a proper chef on board doing lunch and dinner as well.

edit: HUGE trains, much bigger than anything else I've ever been on, I'm sure it was bigger than the 18 coach TGV that took me through France.

double edit: They even let you check in your luggage at a number of stations so you don't even carry a suitcase on board. Most of the stations we stopped at were tiny and the train would just stop, blocking the main street in a hick town so that two or three of its coaches could be sit by a tiny platform.

That'd be the Amtrak. They actually go from somewhere further north than Chicago and all the way to LA as well, with sleeper coaches incorporated. Think it takes about 3 days for the complete journey.

I took it from Chicago to St Louis last March and it was pretty decent (albeit slow, taking 7 hours), the "observation coach" was quite good. They have a proper chef on board doing lunch and dinner as well.

edit: HUGE trains, much bigger than anything else I've ever been on, I'm sure it was bigger than the 18 coach TGV that took me through France.

Yep, AMTRAK. I've mentioned it here before but I did the LA to New York run. LA to Chicago, then the train from Chicago to New York. 72 hours not including the transfer time in Chicago. There are several routes and you can get all the way to Toronto as well. Amazing going through the desert and then onto the plains, makes you realise just how huge the US is.

Yep, AMTRAK. I've mentioned it here before but I did the LA to New York run. LA to Chicago, then the train from Chicago to New York. 72 hours not including the transfer time in Chicago. There are several routes and you can get all the way to Toronto as well. Amazing going through the desert and then onto the plains, makes you realise just how huge the US is.

Its funny but I don't normally consider going to the same place twice (long haul) but I loved Chicago and would go again. I'd seriously consider going to Vegas and San Fran before getting to LA and taking the Amtrak to Chicago. I wish I'd been on that train longer to appreciate the journey more (very jealous of your 72 hours!), but that said we had a great time driving from St Louis to Memphis and onto NOLA with a couple of stops.

Similar to that is the train journey from Sydney to Perth, 3 nights / 4 days and is 4,352km :o

We were going to do it but decided to drive instead.

Four that I've enjoyed are: The Peak in Hong Kong, up Penang Hill in Malaysia, TranzAlpine train in NZ and the Kuranda Scenic Railway in Queensland:

still not able to get pics to embed, any tips

Anyway Funicular are amongst my favourites, that one in Australia looks awesome.

Theres one in barcelona too that takes you up to a fun fair and monastary, best thing about that one was you had to

take a metro and then an old fashioned tram up the hill to get to the bottom of the funicular, triple the fun.

Another favoutie is in the image below, In haifa in Israel, the carmelit metro, an underground funicular up the inside of mount carmel in the centre of the city, puts the fun i funicular.

http://img585.images...5/2706/wv5n.jpg

Come on guys I am sure there are more railway buffs out here, some good stuff already posted but looking for more European stuff that is easier for me to get to.

Big metro enthusiast too so any good metro systems would be great, my favourite is Paris at the moment.I although London and Berlin run it close.

Big metro enthusiast too so any good metro systems would be great, my favourite is Paris at the moment.I although London and Berlin run it close.

You need to go to Moscow then. Exceptional.

Doctor FinnBarr

Come on guys I am sure there are more railway buffs out here, some good stuff already posted but looking for more European stuff that is easier for me to get to.

Nowt too exciting but if you look on youtube for the Burbach-Betzdorf railway sure theres a few vids, narrow gauge I think. Not too far from Cologne.

There's the old wooden ones in Mallorca that run from the beach at Port de Soller right up the mountains to Soller.

That looks brilliant but would be put off by having to go to mallorca? Still its on my list now.

Forgot about these 2 funiculars a wee bit closer to home.

Scarborough

Yeah done both of them.

Like them but crave more

Bournemouth

Nowt too exciting but if you look on youtube for the Burbach-Betzdorf railway sure theres a few vids, narrow gauge I think. Not too far from Cologne.

Germany seems to have a good few, will check this one out when I get on proper Internet and not just my phone.

Hasn't the Scarborough one gone now?

Quite probably, it was a million years ago that I was last down there. The one in Bournemouth was defo there 4 years ago. ;)

Just remembered the funicular at Montreal Olympic stadium, mental, starts of as a funicular and then goes vertical, up the top of the tower on top of the stadium itself.

Shame the view at the top was of Montreal.

Still awesome.

Doctor FinnBarr

Quite probably, it was a million years ago that I was last down there. The one in Bournemouth was defo there 4 years ago. ;)

It was 13/14 years since I've been there but I'm certain it was just empty tracks on the hillside.

Chimpos, Bridgenorth in Shropshire has a funicular as well.

It was 13/14 years since I've been there but I'm certain it was just empty tracks on the hillside.

Chimpos, Bridgenorth in Shropshire has a funicular as well.

Noted, cheers.

Prague Metro was super cool back in the communist days. Probably ordinary now.

Trams in San Francisco, Melbourne, Porto (I think) and Prague are good. Trams in edinburgh?

kawasakijambo

Hasn't the Scarborough one gone now?

It was there last April, think it cost about 10 bob.

Prague Metro was super cool back in the communist days. Probably ordinary now.

Trams in San Francisco, Melbourne, Porto (I think) and Prague are good. Trams in edinburgh?

The trams in San San Francisco are good but the cable cars are amazing!

Archived