Today's Referee

Deevers

Simply dreadful. We seem to have had more than our fair share of him over the last few seasons at Tynecastle and he"s been honking in every one.

Simply dreadful. We seem to have had more than our fair share of him over the last few seasons at Tynecastle and he"s been honking in every one.

Forget the result but he was totally incompetent,

He had a trio of mystifying decisions within a few minutes of each other in the second half. Looked like a very decent penalty shout from where I was.

Jambof3tornado

I think he is in some kind of relationship with Davidson, saints no 18.

You mean the squealing falling over dick?

Ignoring the obvious and whistling for nothing - the man is a clown - what is worse is that he is sporting a FIFA badge.

His linesman, who cost us the second goal and any remote chance getting back into the game with a quite incredible missed offside call was the bigger problem.

That said, the foul by Davidson on Stevenson which he ignored in the second half was laughably bad.

I didn't think he was that bad and don't think he got any major calls wrong. Have seen much worse

He was rotten. But the only major call was the offside before the second goal which was nowt to do with him. It was at least 2 yards and unbelievable that he missed it.

I think he is in some kind of relationship with Davidson, saints no 18.

Three free kicks for Davidson because he squealed when tackled, not one was a foul.

Penalty claim - sorry never in a month of Sundays.

Sadly, Madden is our top ref just now, shows how bad the rest really are.

Don't think the ref was that bad. For what it's worth my first thought on the penalty call was 'free kick'. He was no worse than the already poor standard of Scottish refs.

The main stand linesman was far worse. Missing the offside for their second, giving a goal kick to us then changing his mind when the ref pointed for a corner and generally just being ten yards behind play at all times.

Four times he fell for him squealing like a little guy. I am also surprised he did not book him for the challenge in the first half.

Balgreenjambo

Why was hasslebank not booked after scoring.if stevensons was a booking for celebrating in front of his own fans his today surely was a booking.

Good shout for a penalty in the 2nd half followed by a saints player putting it out for a corner.he gave a goal kick.

There was a corner in the 2nd half to us where the ref and the wheatfield linesman just looked at each other for ages before they gave it.

And finally Davidson got away with murder today and the ref fell for it.

The ref was garbage.

There were a couple of occasions when our players needed to be stronger but the ref and Wheatfield lino were absolutely honking. Was the Holt free kick actually a pen? It looked it from my seat but that was a long way away.

So many questionable decisions today.

The big one for me, why wasn't (I think) Davidson booked when he brought down Holt just outside the box in the first half?

Or why was Hasselbaink not booked for gesturing to the Hearts fans after he scored the opening goal?

Should we have had a penalty in the second half? I want to see this again.

A very frustrating afternoon. St Johnstone weren't great but they took their chances and didn't let us in too often so probably deserved to win the game.

Nothing surprises me now when it comes to the officials but i`m not even going there to blame them for today.

We`re too powderpuff and shit it in many 50/50sor when a tackle was there to be made we didn`t do it.

We`re too powderpuff and shit it in many 50/50sor when a tackle was there to be made we didn`t do it.

Its no longer a 50/50 when we are involved!!! More of a 85/15 as were chicken shit of maybe winning the balls!!

Was the Holt free kick actually a pen? It looked it from my seat but that was a long way away.

No, I sit directly in line with it. Close (closer than where the free kick was actually taken), but just outside. Correct call.

I certainly thought there was an offside before May scored but there had a been a lot of pinball going on in the build up and I couldn't say for certain exactly where each player was, and where the 'offside' player may have made a run from.

Was the Holt free kick actually a pen? It looked it from my seat but that was a long way away.

Was a good call, as was a defo a FK not a pen, should still have been booked.

To fair to the officials they are typical of the SFA standard, crap, inept, and on occasions spectacularly blind.

Seymour M Hersh

When a ref wants to **** you all he has to do is adhere to the letter of the law for one team while being lenient/forgiving to the other. Really simple to do and hard to prove otherwise.

The barge on Carrick (?) inside the box was a clear penalty. And why, not just us, do the linesmen always have to consult with the ref before giving a throw in decision?

His decision to not give a foul when Davidson brought down Stevo was laughable.

His linesmans decision not to give the offside at the second goal though was nothing short of a disgrace and ruined any slim chance we had of getting back into it. It's hard enough with the squad we have but when the basics are going against us how are we meant to have a chance?

Sadly, Madden is our top ref just now, shows how bad the rest really are.

If, for one moment, I thought this was true, I'd give up on Scottish football immediately.

Thankfully, it isn't.

Aside from what looked like as clear an offside as you'll see in the lead up to their 2nd, there was an offside given against us 2nd half against a player not even looking to get involved whilst Stevenson, who went for it, was clearly on.

Standards of officiating I'm this country are frighteningly low.

Not low enough yet though that Madden is at its pinnacle.

If, for one moment, I thought this was true, I'd give up on Scottish football immediately.

Thankfully, it isn't.

Aside from what looked like as clear an offside as you'll see in the lead up to their 2nd, there was an offside given against us 2nd half against a player not even looking to get involved whilst Stevenson, who went for it, was clearly on.

Standards of officiating I'm this country are frighteningly low.

Not low enough yet though that Madden is at its pinnacle.

. Then who is? Thompson? Collum? Brines? All of them shockingly dreadful!

. Then who is? Thompson? Collum? Brines? All of them shockingly dreadful!

Thomson and Collum are better than Madden.

To identify the best Scottish referee though is to damn with faint praise, there is no denying that.

Thunderstruck

The barge on Carrick (?) inside the box was a clear penalty. And why, not just us, do the linesmen always have to consult with the ref before giving a throw in decision?

Correct. He was giving free kicks all over the park for that type if tackle but, curiously, he thought that fair.

The tackle from behind in Stevo was a free kick and should have seen a yellow.

One of the better refs - God help us.

His decision to not give a foul when Davidson brought down Stevo was laughable.

If that was the challenge on the 70th minute then that's the time i left! Never left a game so early even being more than 2-0 down. I know we were crap today but the officals were worse! That was a foul all day long!! Also If it wasn't a pen in 1st half then the foul was closer than the actual free kick was taken! The ref only walked 8 paces (not the normal 10) so wall was closer than should have ben. There 2nd had 2 players in off side position when ball was played (although we switched off when ball went to May). But goal kick/corner descion was just bizarre! It was a St Johnstone player who kicked it out!!! It was probably the most obvious/blantant error of the game as far as am concened. Happy to be proved wrong on any of them as not seen any highlights back

The only thing the ref got right was not booking Stevenson after he was fouled by Davidson.

Stevo was nipping at the ref for a wee while after it before the ref had a word.

I thought it was a yellow but fair play to him just told him to shut up.

There wasn't a thread like this on Wednesday.

We are a bunch of moaners and conspiracy hunters now, just like Celtic.

The second goal was clearly offside in the buildup but it made no impact on the game. We were never gonna score.

Was a good call, as was a defo a FK not a pen, should still have been booked.

Cheers. Certainly didn't seem to be where it was wasted from.

While it had no bearing on the end result, he was spectacularly bad in the 2nd half.

There was about a 20 min period in the 2nd half where free kicks seemed to be turned off. And the amount of times he and his linesman had to stare at each other for a few seconds because neither had a clue what the decision was was crazy.

The second goal was clearly offside in the buildup but it made no impact on the game. We were never gonna score.

The game was 1-0, of course it had an impact. We didn't look like scoring, but we never looked like scoring on Wednesday til we produced something out the blue. The 2nd killed the game, we were still in it til then.

The game was 1-0, of course it had an impact. We didn't look like scoring, but we never looked like scoring on Wednesday til we produced something out the blue. The 2nd killed the game, we were still in it til then.

Well to even it up I think that Holt should have had a penalty against him - and perhaps a red card for handball when the guy behind him was in a clear goalscoring opportunity. Any TV of this?

The one where Davidson actually apologised to the ref then looked on bemused as the foul wasn't given was laughable.

And what happened to the rule (that cost us in the first St Johnstone game of the season) that a player had to touch the ball to be offside?

That all said, I feel a bit sorry for refs and linesmen. Thankless task.

This post is unbelievable. This was a low key game, no bookings and no controversy, but still people seek to criticise/blame the referee. Time to get a grip, there are many reasons why we lost and none can be attributed to the ref; this is getting more and more like a Celtic forum.

East Region Jambo

What is the point of having Assistant Referee's if they can't make a decision or make a decision & then let themselves be over-ruled by an incompetent Ref?

We would still be trying to score. One nil against Locke's team means defeat. Always.

MacDonald Jardine

This post is unbelievable. This was a low key game, no bookings and no controversy, but still people seek to criticise/blame the referee. Time to get a grip, there are many reasons why we lost and none can be attributed to the ref; this is getting more and more like a Celtic forum.

You don't think the non offside call before the second was in any way controversial?

Well to even it up I think that Holt should have had a penalty against him - and perhaps a red card for handball when the guy behind him was in a clear goalscoring opportunity. Any TV of this?

The one where Davidson actually apologised to the ref then looked on bemused as the foul wasn't given was laughable.

And what happened to the rule (that cost us in the first St Johnstone game of the season) that a player had to touch the ball to be offside?

I'll have to see it, but was the Holt one a clear, deliberate handball to deny a goal scoring opportunity, or one of these could have gone either way? The Carrick decision was a clear 100% deliberate barge in the box that both the ref and his assistant couldn't have missed.

We were never going to score two or three goals but may just have managed one goal so it was a game changer for me.

We were never going to score two or three goals but may just have managed one goal so it was a game changer for me.

As was the blatant barge on Carrick in the box right under his nose!

Perhaps not exactly like this but there's certainly plenty of comments regarding the referee's lack of action on the 'Liam Craig' thread. And several mentions of other players who, in the poster's opinion, should have been dealt with more stringently.

Edit - and indeed the preposterousness of Stevenson (our one)'s booking

I don't, and it isn't. Referees got ?840 for doing SPL games 2 seasons ago - I can't find more up-to-date figures than that.

Archived