Train delays

number-16

The ScotRail train down from Aberdeen is running about half an hour late meaning I'm probably going to miss a chunk of the game.

Does anyone know whether train companies offer compensation for delays? They've said the reason was a a fault with the train.

The ScotRail train down from Aberdeen is running about half an hour late meaning I'm probably going to miss a chunk of the game.

Does anyone know whether train companies offer compensation for delays? They've said the reason was a a fault with the train.

You'll get zip for half an hour. There are guidelines they have to operate within, eg. Virgin give half your fare back if you're delayed by an hour or more (not sure what it is for 2 hours+). First Great Western give half of your complete fare for an hours delay, and a complete refund (return included) if you're delayed by 2 hours. Things out of their control would bust a claim, eg. severe weather.

Samuel Camazzola

Train companies sign up to the passenger's charter meaning you're entitled to 50% of your fare compensated if you are delayed by 30 minutes. You can get the form to complete and send freepost from any station. Also, if Scotrail don't respond within 7 days, you are entitled to further compensation by the way of rail vouchers.

Train companies sign up to the passenger's charter meaning you're entitled to 50% of your fare compensated if you are delayed by 30 minutes. You can get the form to complete and send freepost from any station. Also, if Scotrail don't respond within 7 days, you are entitled to further compensation by the way of rail vouchers.

The passengers charter for each rail company is written by the train company concerned. They have to have one, but they don't 'sign up' to it as it's their own. They operate within set regulations, some only just towing the line and some giving more. No train franchise gives out any sort of refund for a 30 minute delay. Any refund will always be given in rail vouchers, but a claim for a delay of less than an hour is a waste of the saliva on a stamp.

Just found this on the Scotrail website:

All other ticket holders

(including Weekly Season Tickets)

If your train is delayed or cancelled and it is our fault, or

that of the rail industry, we will look into each case on an

individual basis.

As a rough guide, if your train is delayed for more than

30 minutes on a ScotRail service, or causes a 30 minute

or more delay to your journey, you can normally expect

National Rail travel vouchers to the value of 50% of that

journey. If you are delayed for more than one hour, you

will receive travel vouchers to the value of 100% of that

leg of the journey

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/PassengerCharter_Oct12.pdf

Might drop them a wee email.

Hannibal Lecter

The passengers charter for each rail company is written by the train company concerned. They have to have one, but they don't 'sign up' to it as it's their own. They operate within set regulations, some only just towing the line and some giving more. No train franchise gives out any sort of refund for a 30 minute delay. Any refund will always be given in rail vouchers, but a claim for a delay of less than an hour is a waste of the saliva on a stamp.

That's not true. A number of them do for over 30 minutes under Delay Repay. It is now a condition under new franchises for a few years now to operate one with set repay starting at 30 mins plus. Only the older franchises currently don't but will when they are re-let.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

That's not true. A number of them do for over 30 minutes under Delay Repay. It is now a condition under new franchises for a few years now to operate one with set repay starting at 30 mins plus. Only the older franchises currently don't but will when they are re-let.

I stand corrected :) That can only be bad news really as it ultimately means that network rail will be handing more money back to the train companies for the delays that are their fault (most of them). That means they're going to be asking for more from them in the first place and the consumer will pay more just to cover the refunds that they might get.

I stand corrected :) That can only be bad news really as it ultimately means that network rail will be handing more money back to the train companies for the delays that are their fault (most of them). That means they're going to be asking for more from them in the first place and the consumer will pay more just to cover the refunds that they might get.

Or it might encourage them to run the bloody things to timetable. ;)

Or it might encourage them to run the bloody things to timetable. ;)

You're not really reading what you've quoted, either that you don't understand. Most delays are down to a combination of points failure, track circuit failure/signal failure, and problems with things like lineside equipment. You can't run a line to timetable with these faults. These things are network rails responsibilities and outwith the train operating companies control.

The more refunds given for these things, the more network rail are paying out. 49% of your ticket money goes to network rail and train companies are going to be compensated by network rail for refunds given due to the above things.

The only outcome will be maximum price rises.

I can't believe I didn't know about the compensation mechanism.

I've taken about a zillion trains in the last 5 years and a good 15% or thereabouts have been delayed in one way or another.

I'd come to the point where from September onwards I kind of expect to spend an unfortunate amount of time sitting in a carriage at Berwick.

No more missus nice redm. I'm getting me some compensation from now on, even vouchers would be great. Train fares are ridiculous these days.

I used to commute to school on the train (Bathgate to Haymarket and back). Of ten journeys per week, a minimum of four and quite often all ten, were delayed.

It's one of the few advantages of Spain: companies get absolutely hammered with fines for even small delays so most trains are on time.

Hannibal Lecter

I can't believe I didn't know about the compensation mechanism.

I've taken about a zillion trains in the last 5 years and a good 15% or thereabouts have been delayed in one way or another.

I'd come to the point where from September onwards I kind of expect to spend an unfortunate amount of time sitting in a carriage at Berwick.

No more missus nice redm. I'm getting me some compensation from now on, even vouchers would be great. Train fares are ridiculous these days.

For most train companies it works like this:

If you arrive at your destination station late as a result of a delay to and/or cancellation of a service, you can claim:

• 30 to 59 minutes delay ? 50% of the cost of a single ticket or 50% of the cost of the relevant portion* of a return ticket;
  • 60 to 119 minutes delay ? 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of the cost of the relevant portion of a return ticket; and
  • 120 minutes delay or longer ? 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of the cost of a return ticket (i.e. both ways, not just one way).
  • By portion we mean either the outward or the return part of a return ticket. By relevant we mean the portion of the journey on which you were delayed.

It will generally be paid in rail vouchers.

If you arrive at your destination station late as a result of a delay to and/or cancellation of a service, you can claim:

• 30 to 59 minutes delay ? 50% of the cost of a single ticket or 50% of the cost of the relevant portion* of a return ticket;
  • 60 to 119 minutes delay ? 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of the cost of the relevant portion of a return ticket; and
  • 120 minutes delay or longer ? 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of the cost of a return ticket (i.e. both ways, not just one way).
  • By portion we mean either the outward or the return part of a return ticket. By relevant we mean the portion of the journey on which you were delayed.

No compensation for up to 30 minutes late?

Plenty folk would be late for work with that. There's no excuse for most late trains.

Auldreekie1874

I travelled down to London with the family from Leuchars a couple of months ago and as we approached Kirkcaldy we were held up for around 90 mins due to a broken down train in front of us. We eventually arrived at kings cross 1hr 58 mins late.

When I applied for the compo I claimed for the full refund stating the train was over 2 hours late and was surprised when I received it. ?361 returned in rail vouchers. Not bad, especially since I only paid ?336 for the journey :whistling:

loveofthegame

I lived in London for 6 months and claimed on "Delay Repay" 3 or 4 times. You only get compensated in train vouchers but still better than nothing.

You're not really reading what you've quoted, either that you don't understand. Most delays are down to a combination of points failure, track circuit failure/signal failure, and problems with things like lineside equipment. You can't run a line to timetable with these faults. These things are network rails responsibilities and outwith the train operating companies control.

The more refunds given for these things, the more network rail are paying out. 49% of your ticket money goes to network rail and train companies are going to be compensated by network rail for refunds given due to the above things.

The only outcome will be maximum price rises.

See the wee winky smily think at the end of my post? I thought that made it clear that I wasn't being serious, apologies for the misunderstanding.

I could've amassed a small fortune in vouchers. Grrr.

See the wee winky smily think at the end of my post? I thought that made it clear that I wasn't being serious, apologies for the misunderstanding.

I certainly misunderstood :) my apologies for assuming you were one of the outraged irrational morons that use trains everyday :)

I certainly misunderstood :) my apologies for assuming you were one of the outraged irrational morons that use trains everyday :)

Honestly don't think I've ever had a problem on the trains, planes on the other hand :veryangry2:

Hannibal Lecter

Plenty folk would be late for work with that. There's no excuse for most late trains.

Nope. Some of the older franchises that were let before the delay repay was included in all new ones you don't start being eligible for compensation until 60 mins. When those franchises are re-let it will be included as part of it though.

No excuse? That's just being silly now.

Honestly don't think I've ever had a problem on the trains, planes on the other hand :veryangry2:

Snakes?? :whistling:

Archived