Understanding the basics

Groot

Do our players know the basic rules of football?

I noticed a few occasions yesterday when St Mirren were taking a goal kick we kept a higher line but Thompson was beyond them as you can't be offside from a goal kick ( despite what the guys around me in lower G thought) which when he was going for the header gave him an even greater advantage than he seemed to have most of the game

I know they are you and inexperienced but they should know that and I'd also expect the bench to keep them right

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Do our players know the basic rules of football?

I noticed a few occasions yesterday when St Mirren were taking a goal kick we kept a higher line but Thompson was beyond them as you can't be offside from a goal kick ( despite what the guys around me in lower G thought) which when he was going for the header gave him an even greater advantage than he seemed to have most of the game

I know they are you and inexperienced but they should know that and I'd also expect the bench to keep them right

you are spot on here.

Don't think the players did anything wrong in this instance. The ball is not going to travel from A to B in 0.01 seconds - its not going to evade everyone without them being able to get back goal side of Thompson. If they win the header and it makes it's way through to Thompson, he is off side.

When the ball made its way up the park, was there any time that it made its way straight to Thompson without a touch + we were not goal side?

Point I'm make G-A is the defenders are running back under the flight of the ball so we were giving Thompson the advantage and as we were struggling with him all day anyway that is something we can't afford to do. In that situation the defensive line is caught flat so it only requires one decent flick on and a good run beyond from a midfielder and you're in trouble

Point I'm make G-A is the defenders are running back under the flight of the ball so we were giving Thompson the advantage and as we were struggling with him all day anyway that is something we can't afford to do. In that situation the defensive line is caught flat so it only requires one decent flick on and a good run beyond from a midfielder and you're in trouble

TBH Malky, I don't think that is so uncommon in football when its a bye kick. When the ball is further up the park would expect players to be more goal side.

Anyway, will bow out of this now.

One last point is the striker is goal side at the time which is where the difference is and gives them greater advantage which is what my poorly worded point was trying to make

Archived