US government to possibly shut down

AlphonseCapone

AlphonseCapone

Never heard of this sort of thing before tonight. Apparently happened a couple of times in the past though. Sounds ridiculous.

Usually it's a scare tactic the President uses to force congress to stop arguing like a bunch of children.

Sometimes they call his bluff and govt shuts down.

AlphonseCapone

If it happens then a lot of ordinary folk employed by the government won't get paid.

Seems so ridiculous these guys are meant to represent the people. That's politics I guess though.

Repuucan right is holding a gun to Obamas head. Basically abandon the health reforms or we'll shut down the Federal government and blame you.

Whoever wins this showdown kinda opens up a strong lead and momentum into the 2016 Presidential election, not to mention midterms.

Geoff Kilpatrick

With America printing money and hitting debt ceilings constantly, what can possibly go wrong? Get those greenbacks out there!

Does this not happen in an episode if the West Wing?

Obviously. And Jed totally takes Hapfley apart. Goes to the Hill by walking there and all that. Spooks the Republicans and he wins... Josh also plays a big role in winning respect back..

Your move Obama...

Obviously. And Jed totally takes Hapfley apart. Goes to the Hill by walking there and all that. Spooks the Republicans and he wins... Josh also plays a big role in winning respect back..

Your move Obama...

:lol:

Great show.

:lol:

Great show.

Indeed.

Clinton and Kerry hated it as it placed "unrealistic expectations" on democrats. Obama adopted the hyperbole and has largely failed to live up to the change he offered. If he loses in the shutdown he should just give up and hand the keys to Biden.

Indeed.

Clinton and Kerry hated it as it placed "unrealistic expectations" on democrats. Obama adopted the hyperbole and has largely failed to live up to the change he offered. If he loses in the shutdown he should just give up and hand the keys to Biden.

It's quite amazing how Sorkin went from writing one of the best shows of all time to writing something as backwards, dull and sexist as The Newsroom.

With the exception of the 9/11 tribute episode I can't think of any scenes in The West Wing that bring about the same amount of distaste as I feel watching the average episode of that.

It's quite amazing how Sorkin went from writing one of the best shows of all time to writing something as backwards, dull and sexist as The Newsroom.

With the exception of the 9/11 tribute episode I can't think of any scenes in The West Wing that bring about the same amount of distaste as I feel watching the average episode of that.

Arguably West Wing was a tad sexist. Only CJ had a senior position, other women were mainly assistants and secretaries. Except for a few minor exceptions the West Wing mainly placed women in supporting roles.

That being said it is still a television masterpeice and is one of the best and most accessible political dramas. Only things like Borgen, A Very British Coup and the Channel 4 two parter The Deal have matched it as interesting and well written political dramas.

Arguably West Wing was a tad sexist. Only CJ had a senior position, other women were mainly assistants and secretaries. Except for a few minor exceptions the West Wing mainly placed women in supporting roles.

That being said it is still a television masterpeice and is one of the best and most accessible political dramas. Only things like Borgen, A Very British Coup and the Channel 4 two parter The Deal have matched it as interesting and well written political dramas.

Never watched any of those 3 but love a good political drama. Thanks.

And I agree with your point about sexism but seriously, compare the West Wing which started in the 90s and it's streets ahead of The Newsroom (2012) in terms of portrayal of women. The Newsroom is actively offensive in that regard.

Never watched any of those 3 but love a good political drama. Thanks.

And I agree with your point about sexism but seriously, compare the West Wing which started in the 90s and it's streets ahead of The Newsroom (2012) in terms of portrayal of women. The Newsroom is actively offensive in that regard.

Its on the list for when I have some money to buy it haha. Sad to hear its crap. But still need to see it.

Usually it's a scare tactic the President uses to force congress to stop arguing like a bunch of children.

Sometimes they call his bluff and govt shuts down.

No offence dude, but this in entirely incorrect.

It's a tactic the House of Representatives is using to attempt to prevent the healthcare law taking effect. Basically, the House needs to pass a bill that funds the government for another year and are refusing to pass any bill that includes funding for said legislation. If they don't pass a funding bill, the government is forced to shut down.

Note : This is a law that has already been passed, they're trying to make sure its not funded (and therefore impossible to implement) because they lost the battle to prevent it being passed.

Moderate Republicans fail in revolt against Boehner. If this happens stocks will tumble. Economically fragile recoveries could stumble. The reserve currency of the world being manipulated over moderate Health care proposals is a joke.

Boehner says "why cant our citizens be treated like us?" - so is Boehner offering an extension of congressional health care to the American people? Such a warped model of government.

House of Cards?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I hope they get it sorted because I'd quite like to go to Liberty and Ellis islands tomorrow.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This happened before under Clinton, did it not?

Yes, in 1996.

It backfired on the Republicans as the Democrats won both houses in the subsequent mid-terms.

I might be exposing myself as a dinosaur here, but what's so sexist about 'The Newsroom'?

It's way below the dramatic standard of the 'West Wing', but half the main characters are female, most of them have their shit together (well, at least as much as the men do... Which admittedly isn't saying much), and they're not just sideshows to the male characters.

I might be exposing myself as a dinosaur here, but what's so sexist about 'The Newsroom'?

It's way below the dramatic standard of the 'West Wing', but half the main characters are female, most of them have their shit together (well, at least as much as the men do... Which admittedly isn't saying much), and they're not just sideshows to the male characters.

Indeed. I got the "dull" part, but a bit puzzled by the "sexist" bit.

As an aside, that Olivia Munn berd definitely would.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Maybe someone slagged off women's football on it.

AlphonseCapone

Yes, in 1996.

It backfired on the Republicans as the Democrats won both houses in the subsequent mid-terms.

Was that the most recent time? I was focusing on my primary school homework more than sky news at that point haha.

So I see it has happened, are the republicans completely in the wrong here, closing down services because they won't fund something that has already passed? Is it that simple?

House of Cards?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

You could say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Was that the most recent time? I was focusing on my primary school homework more than sky news at that point haha.

So I see it has happened, are the republicans completely in the wrong here, closing down services because they won't fund something that has already passed? Is it that simple?

Yes it is that simple.

All Obama has done, limp wristedly perhaps, is to offer, what Tom Johnston would've described as bringing "a few amenities of life to the peasant and his wife". In offering a minimum net of health provision to some Americans tge Republicans have lost their marbles and went off the rails and have shut down all but the essential parts of the Federal government.

Social Security cheques not sent, Postal, Medicare/caid claims not processed, Pensions not delivered, Departmentnof Justice prosecutions backlogging and much much more, all because Obama wants a fairer and reformed Health care market.

I appreciate each nation is entitled to its own politics and destiny, but for the worlds richest nation - "leader of the free world" - to view the right to own a machine gun as more valuable than that of receiving health care for free at the point of need or having a national insurance scheme is quite frankly idiotic and backwards.

I appreciate each nation is entitled to its own politics and destiny, but for the worlds richest nation - "leader of the free world" - to view the right to own a machine gun as more valuable than that of receiving health care for free at the point of need or having a national insurance scheme is quite frankly idiotic and backwards.

The second part of your post contradicts the first. I don't agree with their priorities either, but don't be a hypocrite by giving them the freedom to choose and then criticising them because you don't agree with their choice.

The second part of your post contradicts the first. I don't agree with their priorities either, but don't be a hypocrite by giving them the freedom to choose and then criticising them because you don't agree with their choice.

Nonsense. They have the freedom to choose, and he has the freedom to criticise them as much as he likes.

You cant agree though that a right created at the end of the 18th century to form militia to defend from colonial and native aggression is still relevant in a nation with chronic health issues and no national system of health provision even similar to any other nation in Western democracy. Can you?

I may well be being hypocritical here but its ridiculous.

TheMaganator

What's the deal with Medicare?

Always thought that was what was available for those unable to fund medical insurance!

Kalamazoo Jambo

What's the deal with Medicare?

Always thought that was what was available for those unable to fund medical insurance!

Medicare is (mainly) for people over 65 and also people with disabilities. Medicaid is (mainly) for lower income families. Both Medicare and Medicaid will continue to operate regardless of the 'shutdown'. Funding for the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) provisions is also largely unaffected. Which makes the actions of the House particularly idiotic.

Edit: Medicaid doesn't cover everyone who may need insurance but struggles with affordability so there has always been a gap.

You cant agree though that a right created at the end of the 18th century to form militia to defend from colonial and native aggression is still relevant in a nation with chronic health issues and no national system of health provision even similar to any other nation in Western democracy. Can you?

I may well be being hypocritical here but its ridiculous.

I'd argue that you're falling into the Republicans trap by calling this a political issue.

It's not. Funding the government is not a 'tactic' or a 'ploy', it's their effin job. Partisan issues such as Obamacare and gun control have no relevance to what is one of the fundamental responsibilities of the legislative branch of government, regardless of where you stand on them.

I'd argue that you're falling into the Republicans trap by calling this a political issue.

It's not. Funding the government is not a 'tactic' or a 'ploy', it's their effin job. Partisan issues such as Obamacare and gun control have no relevance to what is one of the fundamental responsibilities of the legislative branch of government, regardless of where you stand on them.

But they are basing their rejection of passing a budget on Obamacare funding. Surely they're playing politics with this as much as Senate Democrats and Obama?

Personally this to me shows the limits of the system in a government struggling to get votes in a legislature. But then again this is partly why it was designed this way.

TheMaganator

Medicare is (mainly) for people over 65 and also people with disabilities. Medicaid is (mainly) for lower income families. Both Medicare and Medicaid will continue to operate regardless of the 'shutdown'. Funding for the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) provisions is also largely unaffected. Which makes the actions of the House particularly idiotic.

Edit: Medicaid doesn't cover everyone who may need insurance but struggles with affordability so there has always been a gap.

Cool, thanks.

Makes you realise, though it has faults, how lucky we are with the NHS!

Craig Gordons Gloves

Both sides have valid points but they've gone totally the wrong way about fixing them. The point of having the executive branch and the legislative branch is to encourage co-operation, compromise and ensure that what is best for the USA is what is passed into law. However, the Republicans have been at pains to block absolutely everything they can that the President proposes and the democrats aren't doing a great job of countering this.

It's crazy that the US is shutdown, i've been imprisoned in the house all day with no leccy, water, gas, etc... :)

Funnily enough, the govt is shut down, yet the polticians are still being paid...

As for The Newsroom being sexist - really?? Really!! The owner of the multi billion dollar company that owns ACN is a woman ffs! The executive producer of the flaship show is a woman ffs! Dear god.

Guest C00l K1d

My bird flys to new york mid october. Would be a shame for this to effect her trip as she's really into her museums and art galleries. Hopefully it's all sorted out, especially for my sake as i'll never hear the end of her moaning :laugh:

AlphonseCapone

In regards to the debt ceiling level, if they don't agree to raise it and the US defaults on its debts for the first time, what would be the actual consequences? Would the global economy go into complete meltdown?

Archived