Dobbie - The New Paul Hartley

JCLEG

With speculation of Hearts interest in Stephen Dobbie doing the rounds i was just wondering what everyones view on him now.

No doubt get shot down at first be he could turn out like Paul Hartley - emptied at ER, done well in the first division then came o us.

I think it is worth a risk and the kind of player we should be going for!

Do the right thing Vlad

With speculation of Hearts interest in Stephen Dobbie doing the rounds i was just wondering what everyones view on him now.

No doubt get shot down at first be he could turn out like Paul Hartley - emptied at ER, done well in the first division then came o us.

Do the right thing Vlad

What speculation?:confused:

RockyBalboa

Do the right thing Vlad

Dobbie is signing for Kilmarnock not Hearts. Think you have missed read Jumbo instead of Jambo ;)

bighusref

A fat striker that doesn't score goals and hasn't scored goals since he played for R@ng*rs reserves? No ta.

Stinks of a wind up.

A fat striker that doesn't score goals and hasn't scored goals since he played for R@ng*rs reserves? No ta.

Stinks of a wind up.

well to be fair he has scored a fair few goals in the last couple of seasons, albeit some of them in the third division...

I have even thought for a split second that I would rather keep Elliot.

That says it all about Dobbie.

bighusref
well to be fair he has scored a fair few goals in the last couple of seasons, albeit some of them in the third division...

If that is the standard then surely we cannot rule out Makela (three in three back home)

Rubbish for Hibs, rubbish for years.

Hartley got a good move to Milwall that (not unlike many Scots going down south) fell apart when the manager that took him there was sacked. Since his return he was hit and miss for Hibs and excellent for St Johnstone. No comparison IMO.

Again, stinks of a wind up.

Charlie-Brown

I actually thought Dobbie looked quite good in the semi final against Aberdeen before he got injured - certainly has been knocking them in regularly for QoS - I would maybe wait & see how he does against Rangers before having any further thoughts but certainly a regularly goalscorer (like Velicka) isn't to be sniffed at and like Hartley it would his late chance to finally make something of his career.......no idea if the OP is genuine or a wind up as I haven't heard any Dobbie speculation but he could prove to be a good value sgning for an SPL team if he can carry his form up a league.

...excellent for St Johnstone.

No he wasn't. He was average at best for them in the SPL, then quite good - but not a great deal more - in the first division. His career only took off once he signed for us.

On topic...hang on, there's no point saying anything on topic because the topic's a load of pish. If we're going to sign a Queen of the South player, I say we bring back Neil MacFarlane.

bighusref
No he wasn't. He was average at best for them in the SPL, then quite good - but not a great deal more - in the first division. His career only took off once he signed for us.

On topic...hang on, there's no point saying anything on topic because the topic's a load of pish. If we're going to sign a Queen of the South player, I say we bring back Neil MacFarlane.

If that were the case then why were Aberdeen and IIRC Dundee United battling us for his signature?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

There will never be another Paul Hartley. :)

If that were the case then why were Aberdeen and IIRC Dundee United battling us for his signature?

Are you sure that you're not getting him mixed up with Wyness? I remember Aberdeen battling with us for his signature, but don't remember the same thing happening with Hartley.

In any case, was this not at roughly the same time as Aberdeen (in particular) and Dundee United were snapping up first division players like hot cakes?

Edit : Speaking of hot cakes, there was a cake sale at my work today. It was great.

The White Cockade

Dobbie

Is that not that weird gremlin type thing in Harry Potter..........

Charlie-Brown
Dobbie

Is that not that weird gremlin type thing in Harry Potter..........

Goblin!

This is the first I've heard of this! No chat on P&B either, which is what you'd expect.

Dobbie is a fantastic finisher, and has fairly quick feet, but that's about it. His workrate isn't the best, and he's often been taken off for John Stewart at the 60-70 minute mark. I would be surprised if Hearts signed him, as we don't play the sort of football that Dobbie thrives on. Our service to strikers has been woeful for years now, which would never help a player like him.

I'd liken him to Wyness, really. Wouldn't suit Hearts.

lost in leith
This is the first I've heard of this! No chat on P&B either, which is what you'd expect.

Dobbie is a fantastic finisher, and has fairly quick feet, but that's about it. His workrate isn't the best, and he's often been taken off for John Stewart at the 60-70 minute mark. I would be surprised if Hearts signed him, as we don't play the sort of football that Dobbie thrives on. Our service to strikers has been woeful for years now, which would never help a player like him.

I'd liken him to Wyness, really. Wouldn't suit Hearts.

In terms of skill and a football brain, I think he's ahead of Elliot and Mole (not hard). I'm not convinced that he would lose half a stone and gain a bit of pace, which is what he would need to make a difference at SPL level. Having said that, if we could get rid of Nade and get Dobbie we would probably be about 7-8k a week better off, and Dobbie would probably be available more.

Bit harsh to say he doesn't score goals Bighusref - 19 in competitive games so far this season. Other than Velicka our top scorer this season is Larry with 6 :eek:

maroonedinoz

Dobbie played a year in Australia on loan form Rangers to one of their so called 'feeder' clubs in Sdney, the now defunct Northern Spirit.

I used to watch them, an d Dobbie was excellent at that standard and finished top scorer I think.

He then went back to Rangers and was freed the next season.

Don't know what he is like now, but a few years ago he was certainly very good.

Interestingly there is somone on Hibsnet who brings up Dobbie in a similar manner every few months, so no doubt this is a wind up by a visitor ;)

Are you sure that you're not getting him mixed up with Wyness? I remember Aberdeen battling with us for his signature, but don't remember the same thing happening with Hartley.

In any case, was this not at roughly the same time as Aberdeen (in particular) and Dundee United were snapping up first division players like hot cakes?

Edit : Speaking of hot cakes, there was a cake sale at my work today. It was great.

was nade there!?

rudi must stay

Do the right thing Vlad

He hasn't even done that well in the First Division, which says enough. Even Killie will need to aim for better players if they want to avoid the drop next year

Do the right thing Vlad

please do not insult this forums intelligence with pure 100% tosh.

In terms of skill and a football brain, I think he's ahead of Elliot and Mole (not hard). I'm not convinced that he would lose half a stone and gain a bit of pace, which is what he would need to make a difference at SPL level. Having said that, if we could get rid of Nade and get Dobbie we would probably be about 7-8k a week better off, and Dobbie would probably be available more.

Bit harsh to say he doesn't score goals Bighusref - 19 in competitive games so far this season. Other than Velicka our top scorer this season is Larry with 6 :eek:

I would concede that it is more goals than I thought. Having said that, I remember him all too well in THIS division with Hibs, I would wager important parts of my body that he will not get anywhere near that amount in the Premier League.

portobellojambo1
I think he's pish, and I think the OP is at the wind up.

Agree

Dobbie's pish, and according to my Killie mate is signing for them.

There's more chance of us signing Ronaldinho.

marshallschunkychicken

This rumour originated on fibs.net.

That tells me all I need to know about both the rumour, and the OP.

Archived