Speed Cameras and Points..

S.N.T.H.

If i, as a 19 yearold with no points, go through a speed camera, and get a letter through the door, how many points is this on my licence?

And how many am i allowed before being banned?

Thanks in advance...

3 points per ticket

once you reach 6 points within your first 2 years of having a licence you would lose it.

after that it is a 12 point limit

also i don't think you get banned you only lose your licence which means you would have to resit your tests (both practival and theory) it happened to a friend of mine and a couple of weeks after losing his licence he had a new one which included his endorsements

Therapist
If i, as a 19 yearold with no points, go through a speed camera, and get a letter through the door, how many points is this on my licence?

And how many am i allowed before being banned?

Thanks in advance...

If it's a "normal" NIP and you hold your hand up, it's 3 points and a ?60 fine.

I thought 6 points within 2 years of passing your test meant a ban?

3 points? Is this regardless of how much you've broken it by? (Obviously 100MPH in a 3o would cop you a ban, but y'know what i mean..)

How much is the fine?

from the dvla website

Your driving licence is automatically revoked if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test. This includes any penalty points you had before passing the test, which are still valid. You’ll have to reapply for your driving licence as a learner driver and resit your driving

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022566

Therapist
Say, though, you went 40MPH in a 30MPH zone... :whistling:

Then there could be bad news on the way.

upthehill

If you have the money for a smart lawyer they'll get you off... Andrew Flintoff, Jeremy Clarkson & Alex Ferguson have used the ?10,000 per day man Mr.Loophole http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1932176/Andrew-Flintoff-cleared-of-speeding---thanks-to-Mr-Loophole.html

there are cheaper ones around aswell though like Michael Lyon http://www.theroadtrafficlawyer.com who do similar work on loopholes

Is there a chance of DQ if someone was to get caught?

All depends on A: what speed you were doing and B: what the speed limit for that road was.

If it is as you say 40 m.p.h in a 30 m.p.h, then as other people have told you it will be 3 points and ?60 fine.

All depends on A: what speed you were doing and B: what the speed limit for that road was.

If it is as you say 40 m.p.h in a 30 m.p.h, then as other people have told you it will be 3 points and ?60 fine.

Thanks for that!

Jambof3tornado
Thanks for that!

SPEED KILLS

3 points and a ?60 fine and you got off lucky. Run over someones child at that speed and you wont be so lucky.

Its a 30MPH for a reason folks.

Lecture over.

Oh and dont forget to tell your insurance company about your SP30. Will add a nice wee lump onto your insurance.

SPEED KILLS

3 points and a ?60 fine and you got off lucky. Run over someones child at that speed and you wont be so lucky.

Its a 30MPH for a reason folks.

Lecture over.

Oh and dont forget to tell your insurance company about your SP30. Will add a nice wee lump onto your insurance.

Oh, aren't you the big man!

:mw_rolleyes:

Stewart MacD

It depends how many ks above the limit. Stick to the train/bus/taxi.

Jambof3tornado
Oh, aren't you the big man!

:mw_rolleyes:

Yes,I am the big man that spends some of his time scraping young people off stupid idiots cars and taking them to hospital in an attempt to save their lives. Grow up,its a 30 for a reason. When you have kids of your own you may change your attitude.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
If you hit me at thirty miles an hour... :sad:

or 40 miles per hour, if you don't want to leave a witness! :oopsoops:

The Real Maroonblood
Thanks for that!

You should also inform your car insurers as it could affect your next insurance premiums.

You should also inform your car insurers as it could affect your next insurance premiums.

that would just be silly. i'm sure you're not obliged to disclose this to insurers until your NEXT renewal.

3 points for speeding doesn't make much difference to a permium, neither does 6 for that matter

Miller Jambo 60
that would just be silly. i'm sure you're not obliged to disclose this to insurers until your NEXT renewal.

3 points for speeding doesn't make much difference to a permium, neither does 6 for that matter

You have to disclose it to the insurance company right away.

3 points wont effect your premium but 6 will.:107years::107years:

You should inform your insurers as soon as the points go on as failure to do so can invalidate your policy.

3 points (and obviously 6) can and does make a difference to your premiums.

I found all this out quite recently and before age is brought up, i've been driving for over 19 years.

You should inform your insurers as soon as the points go on as failure to do so can invalidate your policy.

3 points (and obviously 6) can and does make a difference to your premiums.

I found all this out quite recently and before age is brought up, i've been driving for over 19 years.

oops, i never told mine til the renewal came around and there was no comeback.

quite honestly, my premium only had about ?50 of a difference in it when i went from 0 - 6 points in one go.

oops, i never told mine til the renewal came around and there was no comeback.

quite honestly, my premium only had about ?50 of a difference in it when i went from 0 - 6 points in one go.

There would only be comeback if you needed to claim on the policy and, when you sent in a copy of your licence, they spotted it.

But then again, you could always claim that you did phone up to inform them as soon as it happened and that you couldn't be held responsible for their staff's failure to process the information onto your policy.

But that would be slightly immoral though wouldn't it. ;)

speed cameras are there for a reason, but tbh, often not in the right places.

what i'd rather have is police officers out solving crimes rather than sitting in vans with speed cameras...

Yes,I am the big man that spends some of his time scraping young people off stupid idiots cars and taking them to hospital in an attempt to save their lives. Grow up,its a 30 for a reason. When you have kids of your own you may change your attitude.

Deal with it, pal.

Jambof3tornado
speed cameras are there for a reason, but tbh, often not in the right places.

what i'd rather have is police officers out solving crimes rather than sitting in vans with speed cameras...

I didnt think it was police officers that sat in the vans,but I agree that more polis out there would help,especially to spot ***** who still think its fine to drive while having a mobile phone wedged between shoulder and ear. Its amazing how many wrecked cars have mobiles lying in the footwell still connected to a caller!!!!:evilno:

:sad:Ok you win,well done for being a speeder. :sad:

I have every respect for the work that you do, but if you think i believe you're Mr Holier Than Thou then you're mistaken.

We all make mistakes and just because i've broken a speed limit doesn't mean anyones life was in danger.

Jambof3tornado
I have every respect for the work that you do, but if you think i believe you're Mr Holier Than Thou then you're mistaken.

We all make mistakes and just because i've broken a speed limit doesn't mean anyones life was in danger.

You quoted doing 40 in a 30,that I have a problem with as 30's tend to be areas where lots of accidents involving pedestrians happen. Now had you said you were doing 90 on the motorway I would have had a different attitude,as I believe that modern cars are built to a much higher standard and quality that when the 70 limit was brought in and would love to see the limit upped. Speeding does kill,and I am not holier than thou,and hope that you have learned a valuable lesson.

What I was getting at was that 3 points and a fine is getting off lightly because no one means to have an accident,no one means to not notice the kid on a bike or the wee lad in a jambo top who runs in front of you after his football.

Just imagine your child or little brother or sister being scooped up 15 feet in the air or dragged under your wheels for 30 yards and you will understand where I get my attitude.:)

just out of curiosity - was the speed camera on your side of the road? If it was on the other side (ie: if you could see the flash and lens as you drive towards it) then you're OK - GATSO cameras can't get you if you're facing them. :D

If not, how did you not see it? They've got fluorescent stripes on the back of them for that very reason!! (assuming it was a gatso of course!!)

Archived