Homosexuality, religion and political correctness

colinmaroon

As always, the focus will be on the players who opt not to wear them rather than the players showing their support.

Especially if they happen to be Christians - what a gift that will be to the intolerance of tolerance!

PS According to the Office of National Statistics earlier this year, in the biggest sample poll taken on the subject, 1.87% of the population are genuinely gay - as opposed to those who just like sticking their bobey wherever they fancy!

[Modnote: Posts about religion and sexual orientation moved to their own thread from the Terrace thread about homophobia in sport.]

Especially if they happen to be Christians - what a gift that will be to the intolerance of tolerance!

PS According to the Office of National Statistics earlier this year, in the biggest sample poll taken on the subject, 1.87% of the population are genuinely gay - as opposed to those who just like sticking their bobey wherever they fancy!

Ha ha ha ha.

Whay does it matter if it's 1.87% or 0.187% or 0.000187%?

Kalamazoo Jambo

You do understand that no-one actually knows exactly how many people are gay, right? I can't find the 1.87% number you're referring to but if it was self-reported data it would be a significant understatement of the actual number.

Having said that, I'm not sure why that number matters.

And finally, most of the Christians that I know are very supportive of gay rights.

1,000's of football players???

Eh? I didn't say that and I dont think there are. I think there are possibly dozens but it doesn't make any difference if there are thousands or dozens or one.

Eh? I didn't say that and I dont think there are. I think there are possibly dozens but it doesn't make any difference if there are thousands or dozens or one.

Didn't say you did.

See this:

There will be thousands of gay players.

The only reason I mention numbers and quoted that Office of National Statistics survey - I believe it was around October last year - was that someone's lying for their own reasons.

With all the luminous boots being worn nowadays how will we be able to tell if they are wearing the rainbow laces or not?

You'll be able to tell by the hate mail for those not wearing them.

You'll be able to tell by the hate mail for those not wearing them.

Colin, seriously, what's your point?

jamboinglasgow

Do Christians really believe that being gay is a lifestyle choice.

Genuine question.

Can we not tar all Christians under the homophobic brush. Find most of those Christians who cant handle homosexuality do it under their own homophobic nature and try to twist the bible round to justify their intolerant views.

Can we not tar all Christians under the homophobic brush. Find most of those Christians who cant handle homosexuality do it under their own homophobic nature and try to twist the bible round to justify their intolerant views.

twist?

To me its the case they focus so much on one or two lines in old testament books yet, and slavish stick to that, yet ignore many other old laws and commands from the old testament, its almost pick and choose to suit your agenda while calling it Gods laws but ignoring the other laws if you dont like them.

Well then that's twisting the agenda to ignore the other stuff. It's following the bits on the gays.

The ancient jews never had a chance though. Sandals you see. No places for laces.

jamboinglasgow

Well then that's twisting the agenda to ignore the other stuff. It's following the bits on the gays.

The ancient jews never had a chance though. Sandals you see. No places for laces.

Maybe thats a better way to say it.

What I am just trying to say is its too easy for people to label all Christians as gay-haters who refuse to live in the modern world, sadly there are too many who do fit this bill and then yell they are being persecuted if they dont get their own way.

Maybe thats a better way to say it.

What I am just trying to say is its too easy for people to label all Christians as gay-haters who refuse to live in the modern world, sadly there are too many who do fit this bill and then yell they are being persecuted if they dont get their own way.

This is true. It's also easy to defend christianity by saying there are millions of utterly reasonable humans who can see past the bronze age views put forward in the bible when in fact the central book of the faith states unequivocally unpalatable views on dozens of topics.

First, please don't speak to what you obviously don't know. To say that Christians who consider the physical homosexual act (specifically) a "sin", twist the Bible, is to show complete ignorance of what the Bible actually says. You don't have to agree with it but please, don't you try and twist what you know nothing about.

Second, because Christians hold such a Bible-based opinion does not mean they hate homosexuals. After all, the Bible says it's a "sin" to lie; to steal; to commit adultery etc. - and yet, we don't get a furore about our attitude to these "sins". Before man, we are entitled to our opinions but, before God is a different matter. You choose to reject that point, fair enough but, I hold to it and I do know what the Bible says!

Third, the very term "homophobic" is a nonsense. Has our education system so deteriorated that we accept a word that says nothing like the interpretation put on it?

Homo - Greek = of the same kind

Phobia - Greek = fear

Not a hint of "hate"!

The abuse of gays is reprehensible but, if there is any "hate" involved it is demonstrated in some of the outrageous actions taken by government, local authorities etc. in persecuting those who simply state that, for example, they disagree with the redefinition of marriage. Getting demoted with a 60% cut in salary, for posting a simple statement on their own Facebook account that it was a "step too far" is reprehensible- not to mention the hate campaigns from militant gay extremists.

The intolerance of tolerance, right enough.

The whole thing is the tip of the tail wagging the dog!

First, please don't speak to what you obviously don't know. To say that Christians who consider the physical homosexual act (specifically) a "sin", twist the Bible, is to show complete ignorance of what the Bible actually says. You don't have to agree with it but please, don't you try and twist what you know nothing about.

Second, because Christians hold such a Bible-based opinion does not mean they hate homosexuals. After all, the Bible says it's a "sin" to lie; to steal; to commit adultery etc. - and yet, we don't get a furore about our attitude to these "sins". Before man, we are entitled to our opinions but, before God is a different matter. You choose to reject that point, fair enough but, I hold to it and I do know what the Bible says!

Third, the very term "homophobic" is a nonsense. Has our education system so deteriorated that we accept a word that says nothing like the interpretation put on it?

Phobia - Greek = fear

Not a hint of "hate"!

The abuse of gays is reprehensible but, if there is any "hate" involved it is demonstrated in some of the outrageous actions taken by government, local authorities etc. in persecuting those who simply state that, for example, they disagree with the redefinition of marriage. Getting demoted with a 60% cut in salary, for posting a simple statement on their own Facebook account that it was a "step too far" is reprehensible- not to mention the hate campaigns from militant gay extremists.

Lying, stealing and adultery are all choices though, and pretty horrible ones at that which affect other people.

To compare these acts to two consenting adults engaging in same sex relations is disgusting.

EDIT: I'm not saying you hold them the same, but the fact they are all categorised under the heading 'sins' is awful.

actually forget it, dont want to get into a debate about religion as those threads on kickback bore me.

From the NEW Testament:

Romans 1:26-28, "God gave them up to dishonourable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; (27) and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. (28) And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done."

Phobia - Greek = fear

Not a hint of "hate"!

that's where the word comes from, it's not necessarily what it means. See charles green's defence of his use of bigot.

Lying, stealing and adultery are all choices though, and pretty horrible ones at that which affect other people.

To compare these acts to two consenting adults engaging in same sex relations is disgusting.

EDIT: I'm not saying you hold them the same, but the fact they are all categorised under the heading 'sins' is awful.

I stressed the physical act, which is a choice you make.

The Bible teaches that the only sexual practice should be between husband and wife/male and female.

Obviously, the children of this age, or any other outside of Christ, don't accept that but, it doesn't change the truth.

As a way of testing the waters, why don't any gay members of kickback announce themselves to be so? Since there is near-consensus (apparently) that bigotry is unthinkable, I take it it will be taken with a shrug of the shoulders.

And see how Colin reacts (I am confident it wouldn't be with hostility).

It doesn't sit right with me that some Christians (I'm not referring to you Colin) seem a little more interested in the private sex lives of other people.

It's like an obsession with some.

From the NEW Testament:

Romans 1:26-28, "God gave them up to dishonourable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; (27) and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. (28) And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done."

Why did omnipotent God make them gay? Sounds like a shyster.

The People's Chimp

The Bible teaches that the only sexual practice should be between husband and wife/male and female.

Obviously, the children of this age, or any other outside of Christ, don't accept that but, it doesn't change the truth.

The problem, of course, being that the bible isn't 'the truth.'

Yes, which as I said, is disgusting.

The pattern of thinking is exactly the same as a bigotted pattern of thinking:

1. There is a certain "truth".

2. Believing in this truth and stating it frequently, mostly to enhance one's reputation, is compulsory.

3. Anybody who disagrees shall be an outcast.

Oh, colin. Ah. Man, i dont know how to tell you this, but...well...GW just called you a bigot.

How incredibly presumptuous.

It's happened on many, many occasions over the past few years on other issues in the same debate. I don't consider at all presumptuous!

Oh, colin. Ah. Man, i dont know how to tell you this, but...well...GW just called you a bigot.

It's okay!

Did you not know that anyone who suggests you shouldn't stick your bobey wherever you want, is a bigot!

Anyway, GW's logic is - well, it's not!

It's happened on many, many occasions over the past few years on other issues in the same debate. I don't consider at all presumptuous!

I don't find that surprising considering its your presumption...

As a way of testing the waters, why don't any gay members of kickback announce themselves to be so? Since there is near-consensus (apparently) that bigotry is unthinkable, I take it it will be taken with a shrug of the shoulders.

And see how Colin reacts (I am confident it wouldn't be with hostility).

Law of averages state there will be a few, but I can't see them outing themselves on here.

Don't know if its a fear factor in regards to the reaction they would get or if its a case of enjoying the relative anonymity of posting on here.

Do Christians really believe that being gay is a lifestyle choice.

Genuine question.

Bingo!!

I think they do and until they think otherwise nothing will change.

Having said that, I couldn't give a toss about their views.

Rankeillor_hearts

The bible was written by a group of intolerant, sexist, homophobic, sexually frustrated men and anyone with a bit common sense will agree that Darwin proved through logic that it is a load of nonsense.

Yes, which as I said, is disgusting.

So faithfulness in marriage is "disgusting"???

The world is going to hell in a hand basket!

Law of averages state there will be a few, but I can't see them outing themselves on here.

Don't know if its a fear factor in regards to the reaction they would get or if its a case of enjoying the relative anonymity of posting on here.

I'm sure the "fear factor" will be the reason in many cases. Because they'll know that giggling, tittering slagging of "gays" is what right on people do when they're not reciting the anti-homophobia catechism. That is to say, they know they won't be welcome.

So faithfulness in marriage is "disgusting"???

The world is going to hell in a hand basket!

Very good, well done.

Thinking that others are 'sinning' because they are engaging in relationships that are natural to them and harm nobody around them is disgusting.

The problem, of course, being that the bible isn't 'the truth.'

If you're right, it's sad that you won't be able to say, "I told you so," as we'll just have disappeared back into the primordial swamp you think we came from.

If I'm right, that really will be sad!

Phobia - Greek = fear

Not a hint of "hate"!

I'm sure the "fear factor" will be the reason in many cases. Because they'll know that giggling, tittering slagging of "gays" is what right on people do when they're not reciting the anti-homophobia catechism. That is to say, they know they won't be welcome.

I make satirical ****** jokes when i'm not slating full-time homophobes, thank you very much.

Very good, well done.

Thinking that others are 'sinning' because they are engaging in relationships that are natural to them and harm nobody around them is disgusting.

Very shaky generalisation!

..........or how about Leviticus 18 and 20

18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination

20:13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their bloodshall be upon them.

I'm simply feeling the love and tolerance oozing from that bible text.

Even if I took Pascal's wager at face value I can't force myself to believe something.

Is rather this thread stayed on topic. Can we keep this chat to the thread in the shed?

Archived