Pointless dig at Robbies testiclemonial

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.hearts.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=108839

As we look ahead to this Sunday's testimonial match for Robbie Neilson at Tynecastle, an afternoon that will see the majority of the stars that helped to bring home the Scottish Cup for Hearts in both

1998 and 2006 making appearances, I've been thinking about whether or not Robbie truly does merit this honour.

To the best of my knowledge a testimonial is awarded to a player simply for ten years' service at one club, so by that token Robbie, who is now close to 12 years at Tynecastle, certainly measures up. But I wonder if these occasions should really be reserved solely for those who have been first-team regulars at a club for the vast majority of that time?

I suppose in the majority of cases, players who generally stay at one club for that length of time would have been in the first-team for most of the duration anyway, but when it comes to Robbie it's a little bit different. He is a player who only really broke through to the first-team in Craig Levein's last season as manager at Tynecastle (about 4-5 years ago) and although he has been a regular starter since then under several different managers, the supporters have never fully accepted him as being good enough for Hearts. Well, most of them anyway - you do get the occasionally staunch supporter of Robbie, but I would say they are in a pretty small minority.

But regardless of what the fans think of Neilson as a player, should he get a testimonial for being a first-team regular for just five seasons? I would tend to think not unless he had been the victim of some horrendous injuries like for example Craig Levein was. Or worse still, someone like Alan McLaren who had a benefit match because he had to cut his career short through injury.

But Neilson has been very lucky on the injury front and during the last five years, has never had any serious injuries that I can think of. It's funny how players like him tend to remain injury-free isn't it? Compare and contrast him with someone like his current manager Stevie Frail, who was twice the player Robbie was, for just one example of how it seems to be that the better players tend to be the ones who sustain more injuries. Sod's Law I suppose....

I'm not trying to begrudge Robbie his big day on Sunday here though - twelve years of service is twelve years of service regardless of what job he's been asked to do, so I suppose that's how the club must have viewed it when they agreed to the testimonial. And let's face it, we must be struggling to see this sort of occasion coming around again in the near future mustn't we? - can anyone seriously see many other Hearts players reaching this length of service given the way that the team and squad have been chopped and changed so much under the current regime? Difficult isn't it?

So regardless of the doubts I have over the merits of what should and shouldn't merit a testimonial match, I wish Robbie all the best for Sunday and hope that it turns out to be the entertaining day that it promises to be. I'm looking forward to it.....

So if twelve years of service is twelve years of service regardless - why write this pap?

itsnomarooned

You should try visiting this site more often. In my opinion it generates some good debate rather than the mindless flaps that some threads on JKB seem to degenrate into!!

Fail to see how the article is contradictory - it merely poses questions for a wider debate.

You should try visiting this site more often. In my opinion it generates some good debate rather than the mindless flaps that some threads on JKB seem to degenrate into!!

Fail to see how the article is contradictory - it merely poses questions for a wider debate.

aaah so you wrote it.

florahearts

I think it is disgusting the things so called fans write about Robbie, they always have to be picking on someone. I wish Robbie all the very best, I have met him and he is a gentleman. He never hides in a game, but he gives his all which is more than can be said for some of our so called super stars. Enjoy your day Robbie you deserve it and all the very best to your family

itsnomarooned
I think it is disgusting the things so called fans write about Robbie, they always have to be picking on someone. I wish Robbie all the very best, I have met him and he is a gentleman. He never hides in a game, but he gives his all which is more than can be said for some of our so called super stars. Enjoy your day Robbie you deserve it and all the very best to your family

No-one is saying anything against Robbie here so all's well.

lambojambo

You missed the "100% effort" bit! :rolleyes:

H J Simpson

Am i the only one on here who sees the irony of a guy starting a thread criticising someone for querying Robbie Neilsons right to haev a testimonial and calls the thread 'Robbies testiclemonial'.

cosanostra
Am i the only one on here who sees the irony of a guy starting a thread criticising someone for querying Robbie Neilsons right to haev a testimonial and calls the thread 'Robbies testiclemonial'.

He was clearly not using the word testiclemonial as a slight on Robbie.

It was a play on the word testi-monial and nothing more.

That's the way i took it any way.

lambojambo

I think the whole thing is a load of Balls! ;)

Dr. Bapswent
He was clearly not using the word testiclemonial as a slight on Robbie.

It was a play on the word testi-monial and nothing more.

That's the way i took it any way.

Dont be silly...

I originaly called it Robbies **** ****** big ****** erse ******** *** *** *******!!

itsnomarooned
Dont be silly...

I originaly called it Robbies **** ****** big ****** erse ******** *** *** *******!!

I think it is disgusting the things so called fans .......... etc etc

Well, without descending into a personal dig, do you really think he merits it?

He`s been at Hearts what? 10-12 years and how many of that has been played at first team level? He`s not exactly a fans hero or a very talented player.

So, an Under 14 player just now who might make it all the way to the first team can look forward to a testimonial when he`s at the ripe old age of 24?

Imo, it seems Robbie is well liked as a person and that`s fine, i`ve nothing agaist him as a person, but i feel this has been engineered by his fan club within and outwith the club just because he`s well thought of as a friend and it`s a sort of 2 fingers up to his critics.

MacDonald Jardine
Well, without descending into a personal dig, do you really think he merits it?

He`s been at Hearts what? 10-12 years and how many of that has been played at first team level? He`s not exactly a fans hero or a very talented player.

So, an Under 14 player just now who might make it all the way to the first team can look forward to a testimonial when he`s at the ripe old age of 24?

Imo, it seems Robbie is well liked as a person and that`s fine, i`ve nothing agaist him as a person, but i feel this has been engineered by his fan club within and outwith the club just because he`s well thought of as a friend and it`s a sort of 2 fingers up to his critics.

So who does merit it?

The fact is that most of the players that are the club for that length of time don't exactly have a queue of clubs wanting them.

He's been here 12 years, in the first team for about 8 and has always given 100%.

I'm not going to argue he's an above average player but what's wrong with hin having his day?

Didn't read all of the article, but I'd agree with the main point being made up to an extent - usually, a testimonial would go to a player who'd been in the first team for ten years, as opposed to just on the books.

But really, who the **** cares? :laugh:

"Testiclemonial" is about as a funny as a kick in the...well, it's pretty appropriate, come to think about it.

The People's Chimp

I'd say that the tacit implication behind the injury comments, for example, do not sit very well against the whole 'robbie's had 12 years of service' and i wish him well pap. The article is riddled with inconsistency.

Anyway 100% (always) looking forward to sunday.

The People's Chimp
Didn't read all of the article, but I'd agree with the main point being made up to an extent - usually, a testimonial would go to a player who'd been in the first team for ten years, as opposed to just on the books.

But really, who the **** cares? :laugh:

"Testiclemonial" is about as a funny as a kick in the...well, it's pretty appropriate, come to think about it.

very true.

bighusref
Terrible article.

Who writes it?

The name of the "site journalist" is the name of the JKB poster that writes it. His posts are generally ALL promoting his input to said site. ;)

Fair play to those slating this article - it's pretty poor on reflection.

I was merely attempting to ask what people's views were on testimonials generally and who should merit them. The 'inconsistencies' were my forlorn attempts to remain reasonably balanced on it, which clearly ended up confusing more people than making sense.

I have nothing against Neilson personally - was just questioning whether players who've only been first team regulars for five years should be entitled to this.

Apologies gents....

Dave Ross

Would accept the argument about Robbie not having 10 years in the first team but the consistency he's shown in the last few years has been fantastic (had a poor spell this year but who didn't?). Only the second Hearts player after Bobby Walker to have a Scottish Cup final named after him as well.

Pete Seeger
You missed the "100% effort" bit! :rolleyes:

He doesn't pick himself. One thing you can't argue with is his commitment and yes, he gives 100%. Hope he has a good day and he deserves it for his professionalism over the past few years. Well done Robbie

...the consistency he's shown in the last few years has been fantastic...

Where's lambojambo when you need him?

consistently PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and then another nine billion exclamation marks) , etc.

Testimonials should really only be for players who have went above and beyond the call of duty to give to the club over a lengthy period.

Robbie is probably owe us more than anything else

Spellczech

Personally I think it should be 10 years from your first team debut. Otherwise why make the fuss we do about a young lad?s debut in the First XI?

lost in leith
Personally I think it should be 10 years from your first team debut. Otherwise why make the fuss we do about a young lad?s debut in the First XI?

Fair point. Scott Severin was 25 when he left Hearts. This was more than 7 years after his first team debut, but possibly more than 10 years after he signed as a youth player. Not a dig at Robie BTW. Hope it goes well on Sunday and there's a decent crowd there.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

When was Robbies debut?

It was fairly young was it not?

Don't agree with him getting a testimonial but he's a good guy and I hope it goes well for him.

Again this pointless debate 2 days before his testimonial the usual crap about whether he deserves one or not who gives a toss HE'S GETTING ONE its not a debate about whether its deserved or not its clearly deserved because he has stayed at one club for ten years , eight years since his debut 254 appearances(31 games a season on average).

Why was there no discussion about testimonials for Robbo, Davie mcp or Bannon all players who left the club and came back the richer for it,I personally attended these games and have a lot of respect for them but Robbie has stayed and before anyone gives it no one would buy him how any of us know what offers have been on the table.

Sunday will be a celebration of one mans commitment to one club for some

and a celebration for the cup wins for others for me I will enjoy a foot in both camps.

Remember a game vs the most recent BIG cup winners is one game the Norwich City wanabees from leith would have real problems arranging :106years:

lost in leith
Again this pointless debate 2 days before his testimonial the usual crap about whether he deserves one or not who gives a toss HE'S GETTING ONE its not a debate about whether its deserved or not its clearly deserved because he has stayed at one club for ten years , eight years since his debut 254 appearances(31 games a season on average).

Why was there no discussion about testimonials for Robbo, Davie mcp or Bannon all players who left the club and came back the richer for it,I personally attended these games and have a lot of respect for them but Robbie has stayed and before anyone gives it no one would buy him how any of us know what offers have been on the table.

Sunday will be a celebration of one mans commitment to one club for some

and a celebration for the cup wins for others for me I will enjoy a foot in both camps.

Remember a game vs the most recent BIG cup winners is one game the Norwich City wanabees from leith would have real problems arranging :106years:

Good post, particularly the bit in bold above. I do find it a bit ironic that some on here slate a guy like Robbie who is an honest player who has made the most of his abilities. Over on hibs.net they worship Sauzee. A class player, but he played less than 80 games and went on to be the worst manager in their history :107years:

Have always thought that testimonials were traditionally awarded as a 'reward' for players loyallty for staying at the same club for an extended period of time when they could have made more money in cuts from transfer fees for moving around. Robbie probably doesn't fall into this category as I can't remember too many opportunities for him to do this, clubs knocking on the door to sign him, etc. but the seems to be an unwritten '10 year' rule these days and in addition to that I would say he deserves his day for three reasons :

1) THAT goal against Basel

2) THAT tackle (and his penalty) against Gretna in the 2006 Cup Final

3) His attitude when dropped during the turmoil of the 2005/06 Season

I'm taking my kids and four of their friends along for what should be a good day out on Sunday and wish him all the best.

Broxburn_Jambo

Before anyone tries to crucify me I like Robbie, was at his testimonial dinner and am going to the match and dinner on Sunday, but..

does the OP not make a valid point about 10 years of service being in the first team? If someone joins Hearts at 13 and leaves at the first opportunity at 23 are they due a testimonial?

Before anyone tries to crucify me I like Robbie, was at his testimonial dinner and am going to the match and dinner on Sunday, but..

does the OP not make a valid point about 10 years of service being in the first team? If someone joins Hearts at 13 and leaves at the first opportunity at 23 are they due a testimonial?

Good point, but how many players will stay at a club 12 years and have 8 years in the first team? Not many.

Robbo27_22

All the testimonials I can remember previously were for players who had played in the first team for 10 seasons.

Neilson hasn't done that - it's a VR stunt to say "Look, we reward our Scottish players".

It's a joke.

Archived