Jose for 2 million...surely not.

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Lee-Wallace-looks-to-cement.4067470.jp

ALTHOUGH widely regarded as one of Hearts' most dedicated and accomplished players, Lee Wallace might feel thankful that tomorrow's visit of Kilmarnock marks the last home game of the season.

The full-back's 2007/08 campaign has mimicked that of his club, in that its consistent theme has been one of frustration. Personal injuries combined with infrequent starts and a bottom-six finish make the last year one to forget, and not surprisinglyADVERTISEMENTWallace is already looking ahead ? not to bronzing his torso on a sun-kissed beach, but to next season when he intends to establish himself as Hearts' undisputed first-choice left-back.

Some would argue he is already worthy of that status but Vladimir Romanov's desire to sell the Portuguese Jose Goncalves has left Wallace an undeserving victim of late.

Thirteen starts in total isn't enough to satisfy the 20-year-old who, despite his relative youth, is participating in his fourth campaign at first-team level. He left the Falkirk Stadium on Monday evening having been one of Hearts' better performers as a left midfield substitute, however that guarantees nothing tomorrow.

The need to showcase Goncalves in the hope of attracting a transfer offer in the ?2million bracket means Wallace must continue playing second fiddle for the moment. He takes such fate in his stride, diplomatically focusing on the quest for personal improvement first and foremost.

"That's obviously the manager's option regarding the selection of the defence," he said. "It's hard when you're watching, whether it's from the bench, the stand or on TV. Everyone can see what's going wrong and everyone makes defensive mistakes. We are all big enough and man enough to get on with things but it is hard watching it. The way we lost the goals on Monday against Falkirk made it hard to watch.

"I've played regularly in little spells, four and five games at a time, but I haven't had the best of seasons. I've been working hard on all the stuff you need to practise, even away from training. I've had a few decent performances but I feel I haven't performed to my best. I'm looking at next season to try and improve.

"When I've been left out I've just taken it as the manager's decision, that's all I have to understand. I'm disappointed not to be playing but happy that I'm still involved with the squad. You are always learning at this club, even sitting on the bench. I just need to fight to get my place back.

"It's all about doing well in training and showing what I can do. The manager knows what I'm capable of but if I do get my chance I'll need to stay consistent. If I do that it'll only help my case for selection. A lot of it is about concentration and taking my chance when I do play."

Christophe Berra and Saulius Mikoliunas, whom Wallace replaced against Falkirk, will be absent tomorrow. The club captain is just one caution away from a two-match ban effective from the start of next season, whilst Mikoliunas is home in Lithuania awaiting the birth of his first child. Gary Glen is rated in the "touch-and-go" category with a calf strain, but Wallace won't count on being asked to deputise for any of the above.

Of his fleeting appearances, it's difficult to recall a sub-standard display from the versatile Scotland under-21 cap. Whether in midfield or defence, he rarely lets Hearts down. Included in his generation of academy graduates are similarly reliable youngsters who have evolved into first-team mainstays in recent seasons.

He continued: "There have been a lot of good performances and some players have played a large number of games, like Christophe. There's been Eggert Jonsson and Andy Driver, who've also played a fair bit, and Robbie Neilson is always a regular. A lot of folk have done themselves justice and played really well but others haven't quite managed it. Talking of myself, I haven't really pulled things together and performed."

It's difficult to decipher whether the personal condemnation is down to modesty during a one-to-one interview or evidence of a young player with exceedingly high standards. Both factors are likely to apply where Wallace is concerned.

He has taken on the win-at-all-costs mentality of Stephen Frail, his former coach at under-19 level, and tried to implement it at first-team level. However, as Monday evening's 2-1 defeat confirmed, there remains a select few of his colleagues who have yet to properly grasp that mindset.

"What Shaggy basically said after the game was why does it take for us to go 2-0 down before we roll the sleeves up and show a bit of desire and commitment. I think everyone in the dressing room would have agreed with that," said Wallace.

"We had won our two previous games and were on our way to getting a little bit of pride back after a poor season but things weren't right at Falkirk. They played well but, when we started to step it up in the second half, it was too late. Winning has been the emphasis since we were consigned to the bottom six.

"We wanted to win our remaining games and go out on a high. Depending on the teams above, you can end up finishing with more points than some of those in the top six. Whether that happens or not, we intend to beat Kilmarnock tomorrow and then Gretna on Tuesday."

In truth, that would not appease many who frequent Tynecastle. Supporters remain disillusioned by this season's mediocrity but have commendably shown faith through one of the most exasperating campaigns of recent years. Having turned up in their thousands all year, the club announced earlier this week that season tickets for next season are selling at a rate comparable with the same stage of last year's renewal phase.

"Apart from wanting the victory tomorrow, the main thing is to give something back to the fans," stressed Wallace. "The whole dressing room wants to show the fans our appreciation for this season because they've been great. It's a case of getting everyone performing to give something back to them.

"I think after the game, no matter the result, we'll all be out applauding the supporters. It's the last home game, they've been brilliant and we haven't really given them everything this season. We need to repay them next year."

The Comedian

If Vlad thinks he will get 2 million for Goncalves then he's going to be in for a shock. Nobody will pay that for a guy who is more or less just a athlete. He clearly learned football as a after-thought.

I'd say holding out for such a high fee will trap Goncalves here, Vlad will have to accept a lower fee as I don't see anyone paying such a high amount. If we can recoup what we've paid for him and his wages I'll be happy. Then Lee Wallace can get a solid run in the team and progress, he's a much better football player.

jambojim52

The point I don't understand is,"They need to showcase him" anyone watching him lately would not touch him with a barge pole.

lambojambo

"Widely acknowledged as one of Hearts most dedicated and accomplished players"??????????????????:confused:

It is Lee Wallace they are referring to?????:rolleyes:

the voice from above
Allegedly, we turned down 1.3M for him. Why, I'll never know.

one of a long list of idiotic decisions.

we also turned down something in the region of 400,000 for Tall last summer knowing fine well he would be walking this summer.:evilno:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I like Lee Wallace, whenever he plays I always think he is one of the better performers and has massive potential.

His attitude is admirable considering he is being shat on from a great height from the powers that be.

Hopefully next season he get's a fair chance at making LB/LM his own position, amazing to think he has been around for 4 years and he is only 20.

LEE WALLACE HAS A GUN HE SHOOTS HIBEES!

Chad Sexington

I really liked the look of Jose when he first arrived.

Remember that tackle he pulled off in his debut against the sheep? He was excellent right up until he was crocked in the semi against the vermin.

Now I'd take 2 million lira for him. He's woeful.

Guest JamboRobbo

Same here. But then I thought he maybe just needed to adjust his touch to the pace of the SPL, rather than having to learn that a football is not a hot potato. :laugh:

Looking back now, I think players like Jose and Clum, prove that you don't have to be a top player to look good if you have good players round about you.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Remember that tackle he pulled off in his debut against the sheep? He was excellent right up until he was crocked in the semi against the vermin.

Indeed.

I remember folk on here being certain he was a future Real Madrid player. :eek:

Same here. But then I thought he maybe just needed to adjust his touch to the pace of the SPL, rather than having to learn that a football is not a hot potato. :laugh:

Looking back now, I think players like Jose and Clum, prove that you don't have to be a top player to look good if you have good players round about you.

If you look good surrounded by good players, can you not also look bad when surrounded by bad players?

It was 1.3 million euros from celta Virgo, so about ?800,000 at the time. The main problem with Goncalves is his positioning is shocking, keeps on drifting into the middle and away from opposition players. He also seems to have an attitude problem, against st mirren Berra was screaming at him to go out to the touch line and mark some one. Goncalves thought that marking a man in the left back area was just plain silly and ignored Berra. He blatantly he ignored the orders of the captain, on top of the storming out after the rangers game. I would play him at centre back tomorrow, if he wants to be in the centre when he's a left back then lets see what he can do there.

Guest JamboRobbo
If you look good surrounded by good players, can you not also look bad when surrounded by bad players?

Yep. If you ain't really very good, you're weaknesses will be cruelly exposed as soon as your team mates can't carry you - as is happening to Jose, Clum etc.

But even when surrounded by mediocrity, a good player will be able to show flashes at least, (look at Larry for an example).

Guest JamboRobbo
It was 1.3 million euros from celta Virgo, so about ?800,000 at the time. The main problem with Goncalves is his positioning is shocking, keeps on drifting into the middle and away from opposition players.

I agree, and I wonder if that might have anything to do with him being a centre half before he came to us, but us using him as a left back?

Yep. If you ain't really very good, you're weaknesses will be cruelly exposed as soon as your team mates can't carry you - as is happening to Jose, Clum etc.

Even when surrounded by mediocrity, a good player will be able to show flashes at least, (look at Larry for an example).

Personally i don't think Jose is as bad as is made out.

I can't deny he has had a few shockers, but he does try to play football rather than simply lump it. If surrounded by better players I reckon we would get the best out of him.

Guest JamboRobbo

I can't deny he has had a few shockers, but he does try to play football rather than simply lump it. If surrounded by better players I reckon we would get the best out of him.

Agree he tries. And he can run fast, and throw it a long way. And he's the best "usherer out" of the ball in Europe IMO.

It's just that playing football clearly ain't his thing. He can't even control the most basic of balls, and the whole time he has the ball "under control", both he and the crowd are in complete panic till the moment he gets rid of it again (more often than not, in a random direction). Just my opinion of course.

Really promising start, Nasty injury, Never really got it together again at Hearts, looks set to move on for a hefty fee, still young enough to come good

There's Parallells with Roman Bednar

The Merse

And fails miserably.

If we can't sell him I'd release the fecker. He's ganting.

:)

Dr. Bapswent

I suggested during the Falkirk game that we adopt a new tactic to make the msot of our strengths.

And that is - Jose shoudl play up front, not left back. Any time we get position in the oppposition half, we pass the ball into the net and allow Jose to 'shelter' the ball over the line.

Surely we'd score EVERY time!

Jose could end up being responsible for our highest ever goal scoring tally, without ever touching the ball and actually gaining credit for any of them.

The irony would fit in perfectly with the club.

The Merse
I suggested during the Falkirk game that we adopt a new tactic to make the msot of our strengths.

And that is - Jose shoudl play up front, not left back. Any time we get position in the oppposition half, we pass the ball into the net and allow Jose to 'shelter' the ball over the line.

Jose could end up being responsible for our highest ever goal scoring tally, without ever touching the ball and actually gaining credit for any of them.

I like it.

Jose would have 20 out of 20 for shepherding on Champ Man if that was one of the stats used.

Seymour M Hersh

How much did rankgers pay for the hobo full back?

Guest JamboRobbo

Using players to their strengths. I like it.

But the scouts from other teams want to see him played at left back, so thats what we'll do.

Guest JamboRobbo

25 billion?

I'd say the main difference is that the ex hobo full back can control a football, whilst Jose can't.

The Merse

Near enough 2 million, but he can play football.

Ginger God Is Back

Guys...guys...you are reading this thread all wrong........

We pay someone ?2M quid and they take the big useless girls blouse off our hands....

Its quite simple really....

joe.gausden

Surely the guy means 2 million Ugandan Dollars. That sounds nearer his present value!!

We_are_the_Hearts

With good coaching and man management there is a defender in Jose. He has performed well in the Champions League and for Portugal U21s in the past. He must regret his move here though as he is getting worse by the game. H e also really struggles when under pressure.

boabyarsebiscuit
With good coaching and man management there is a defender in Jose. He has performed well in the Champions League and for Portugal U21s in the past. He must regret his move here though as he is getting worse by the game. H e also really struggles when under pressure.

That's it really. About 75% of our under-achieving 1st team squad would do well elsewhere (look at Bednar). I just can't see what the problem is at Hearts.

The Mighty Thor

We will not get ?2 million for the 400 metre runner.

He'll never be a professional footballer as long as his arse points down the way.

Thought Wallace was awful and put in a really lazy performance against Falkirk, although I've never really rated him as a left midfield. I don't think he has quite enough spark to make it big at that level where as at full back if he improves on his defending he can become a top player. Needs to pull head out of arse at times though.

The worst (and that takes some doing) ever left back to play for the JTs.. no wait a minute .. the worst left back ever

Dr. Bapswent

In truth, I also think that Jose could actually be a half decent player.

But as with the rest of the team, he is underachieving through bad player management and coaching.

hmfc_steve
We will not get ?2 million for the 400 metre runner.

He'll never be a professional footballer as long as his arse points down the way.

:confused: as in sitting on the pan ? ..... pointing up the way ?..... is that not a bit hoboish ?

winston churchill
I agree, and I wonder if that might have anything to do with him being a centre half before he came to us, but us using him as a left back?

a centre half that cant head a ball.it always looks to me like he is heading a bag of cement.

Any time Jose got the ball this season everyone in my part of the ground just pished themselves

Whenever Jose had to defend everyone crapped themselves....and then started pishing themselves after the panic was over

Everytime

Nobody ever ranted or shouted abuse at him though - too busy laughing

The only footballer I have seen who has a square heid in addition to 2 square feet

The worst (and that takes some doing) ever left back to play for the JTs.. no wait a minute .. the worst left back ever

The most exaggerated statement of the day... no wait a minute... the most exaggerated statement ever.

:rolleyes:

Chad Sexington
Any time Jose got the ball this season everyone in my part of the ground just pished themselves

Whenever Jose had to defend everyone crapped themselves....and then started pishing themselves after the panic was over

Everytime

Nobody ever ranted or shouted abuse at him though - too busy laughing

The only footballer I have seen who has a square heid in addition to 2 square feet

The frustrating thing is, like a few have already said, there may be a footballer in there somewhere. He looks like he has had all his talented coached out of him thanks to our crappy set up.

Every time the ball comes near him it's like Basra on ice. I can only watch through the cracks in my fingers.

Guest JamboRobbo
a centre half that cant head a ball.it always looks to me like he is heading a bag of cement.

All we need now is a goal who can't catch - queue the return of Kurskis.

The Mighty Thor
:confused: as in sitting on the pan ? ..... pointing up the way ?..... is that not a bit hoboish ?

Down the pan. As in his career.

As for the other bits i couldnae comment. Not my scene. :cool:

boabyarsebiscuit
The most exaggerated statement of the day... no wait a minute... the most exaggerated statement ever.

:rolleyes:

How many millions of times have I told you not to exaggerate?

The frustrating thing is, like a few have already said, there may be a footballer in there somewhere. He looks like he has had all his talented coached out of him thanks to our crappy set up.

Every time the ball comes near him it's like Basra on ice. I can only watch through the cracks in my fingers.

I've never thought much of Jose to be honest. When he first came in he did alright but I thought some on here were going well over the top on here about how good he was.

He's a fit lad and is really quick but that's it, an athlete not a footballer IMO.

If Jose is as bad as many on here claim then why does he still play for Portugal at U21 level? I would have thought that Portugal would have had a few left backs that could play for their national team yet somehow Jose keeps on playing?

?2m is realistic for a Portugese U21 international I would have thought. Lets face it he can only improve.

funktasticlad

I honestly hope Jose stays and proves everyone wrong. Would rather see him at LB than Wallace any day. He's no way as bad as folk on this forum make him out to be and last thing i'd want is for him to do a bednar and come good somewhere else.

Give Jose Wallace's control and passing ability and you have a much much much better left-back.

If we get an offer for him we should sell.

Wallace? I'm still unsure about. Not sure what is best position is.

Nelly Terraces

A bloke who can't even defend against Falkirk in the SPL. Aye, worth 2million quid right enough.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

"What Shaggy basically said after the game was why does it take for us to go 2-0 down before we roll the sleeves up and show a bit of desire and commitment. I think everyone in the dressing room would have agreed with that," said Wallace.

WTF.

Is this for real?

For two years now (St Mirren game apart) we've folded like a cheap Thai hooker every time the other team score first.

WTF is he on about?

zicoinexile

He's gash.

Every manager in the league has been able to see where the weakness in our team is. One of the most basic aspects to his job is positioning - people on here go on about "he keeps drifting to the centre therefore he must be a centre back...."

eh naw, he just doesn't have a clue about where he's supposed to be so let's just look at his weaknesses and then tell me "there is a footballer in there..."

1. Cannot pass the ball.

2. Cannot control the ball.

3. Cannot hold his correct defensive position.

4. Cannot head the ball.

Sorry I cannot see a footballer anywhere - may be a good 400ms hurdler or something.

?2m? If Kirk Broadfoot can get into a European final I suppose anything is possible but really, who would pay ?200,000 for this guy?

He's gash, I tell ya.

There's more nonsense talked about Jose than any other player on JKB. He'll be a tremendous player with the right coaching. He's probably we have the only player that would benefit from a move to a bigger club.

Broxburn_Jambo

I've been to every game bar 2 this season and i simply can't agree, he has been woeful, the worst positionally that i have ever seen from a left back, constantly blames other players for his mistakes and seems to spend most games trying to rectify his own mistakes. Only positives are he is athletic and can shepherd a ball out better than anyone else but bottom line he isn't good enough to play for Hearts imo.

I think that Lee Wallace should have had most of the games this year.

The long term cost will not be realising the value of the young players we bring through (in terms of them being good players for us) as they are not getting enough time on the pitch.

Michael Stewart is a great example. He lacks maturity in his game - because he hasn't played enough first team games after so long in the United reserves. Maybury was another one - lacked football maturity because he hadn't many games when in the reserves at Leeds.

We have only given Jonsson and Driver enough games for them to 'kick on' next year or the year after. And Wallace should have been pushing for a Scotland place next year or the year after and most likely will not now due to his lack of games.

I am still laughing at the suggestion someone made that Goncalves asked his agent to find him a 20k a week club!

Archived