United ban the BBC

Horatio Caine

I mentioned on the Hamill thread that you are more likely to be done after the games when that game has been televised, simply because there are more cameras.

But who decides what footage is shown and what incidents are "missed" by the cameras?

Well done United. The BBC and STV do **** all for Scottish football anyway.

people in the entertainment business banning media is sooooo dumb, its not even funny

however I think it is worth pointing out that when the papers first started reporting on matches, in the late 1800s, the chairmen tried hard to make sure that they got to vet all the match reports, before they were published

they'd do the same now with TV coverage if they got the chance

the basic problem is that the people who run football clubs are a bunch of trumped up, ego-inflated clowns, always have been, always will be. Unless FoH changes all that, of course

people in the entertainment business banning media is sooooo dumb, its not even funny

however I think it is worth pointing out that when the papers first started reporting on matches, in the late 1800s, the chairmen tried hard to make sure that they got to vet all the match reports, before they were published

they'd do the same now with TV coverage if they got the chance

the basic problem is that the people who run football clubs are a bunch of trumped up, ego-inflated clowns, always have been, always will be. Unless FoH changes all that, of course

No, it's dumb to roll over and have your tummy tickled by an organisation that is funded by the people but gives our game nothing in return.

The media exists in Scotland to promote the old firm with the odd diversion into a diddy team playing well. Dundee Utd are one of the few teams that 'gets' it and they should be applauded for this.

More importantly, they should be backed up by other clubs......and Doncaster et al

I mentioned on the Hamill thread that you are more likely to be done after the games when that game has been televised, simply because there are more cameras.

But who decides what footage is shown and what incidents are "missed" by the cameras?

Well done United. The BBC and STV do **** all for Scottish football anyway.

You say this and yet it was video evidence that got hamill off with his red card? Works both ways.

Robbo got done for punching saint tommy burns in an off the ball missed by the ref think that might have been the first case

No, it's dumb to roll over and have your tummy tickled by an organisation that is funded by the people but gives our game nothing in return.

The media exists in Scotland to promote the old firm with the odd diversion into a diddy team playing well. Dundee Utd are one of the few teams that 'gets' it and they should be applauded for this.

More importantly, they should be backed up by other clubs......and Doncaster et al

Nothing in return? Do you think the BBC gets tv and radio rights for free?

Gunning was banned for kicking an opposition player. You can have as many cameras as you like, operated by anyone you like, but if you don't kick an opponent then they can't show anything.

Don't get it.

You say this and yet it was video evidence that got hamill off with his red card? Works both ways.

Aye, I know it's hypocritical but that was quite a clear incident that was always going to be featured as it led to the pen.

What United are saying is that there were other incidents that were not highlighted.....so who decides the agenda? Of course, Jackie McNamara, with his background, knows the answer to that already.

How much do they pay United?

Don't have a scooby. Presumably avoiding my question is you acknowledging you were talking nonsense and the BBC do contribute to the game.

The Porcupine

I still haven't seen this tackle. I've looked for it on the internet but to no avail.

Anyway, it's simply pathetic that a club would do this. I seriously don't understand it.

I'm sure I saw the incident in Sky first.

As I haven't watched Sportscene or the bbc scitland web, only place could be sky.

gorgie rd eh11

United are quite right to be upset at the selective way video evidence is used but i don't have a lot of sympathy for them. It's happened to other teams but i've not heard them complain to loudly about it.

The Porcupine

I'm sure I saw the incident in Sky first.

As I haven't watched Sportscene or the bbc scitland web, only place could be sky.

I'll take a look. Cheers!

Don't have a scooby. Presumably avoiding my question is you acknowledging you were talking nonsense and the BBC do contribute to the game.

So when you say "do you think the BBC gets tv and radio rights for free?", it was actually a serious question?

It';s not free but it's still piss poor and certainly not worth the clubs bending over backwards for.

I seen the incident on on sportscene and said to the missus ''If that was a Hearts player he'd be getting a ban for that !'' I don't have a problem with people getting pulled up retrospectively but it's the random nature of it . Rowan Vine in the derby and McJake at ne'er day both got off scot free after actually injuring an opponent .

So when you say "do you think the BBC gets tv and radio rights for free?", it was actually a serious question?

It';s not free but it's still piss poor and certainly not worth the clubs bending over backwards for.

Yes. You said they gave nothing in return. They do. Throwing the toys out the pram and banning them because you didn't like the highlights they showed is juvenile and smacks of Sevco.

Rudolf's Mate

I seen the incident on on sportscene and said to the missus ''If that was a Hearts player he'd be getting a ban for that !'' I don't have a problem with people getting pulled up retrospectively but it's the random nature of it . Rowan Vine in the derby and McJake at ne'er day both got off scot free after actually injuring an opponent .

:spoton:

What I find disturbing is that teams are lobbying for players to be disciplined - Hibs with Templeton and Stevenson (although McPake made a much worse challenge on Robinson in the game which put Scott out for months), and Celtic clamoring to get players reviewed and suspended now.

It's disappointing that Lunny only acts if managers/players kick up a stink in the press, he doesn't seem to act on what he sees. Teams are getting rewarded for stirring up trouble for other teams.

Horatio Caine

Yes. You said they gave nothing in return. They do. Throwing the toys out the pram and banning them because you didn't like the highlights they showed is juvenile and smacks of Sevco.

Yes! If Gunning hadn't kicked out in the first place, there would be no footage to show. Whilst I can understand all the seethe against the BBC, it wasn't the BBC who tried to kick an opponent.

McNamara is complaining about the set-up of the panel which included a former ref but no former players. I do not seem to recall him voicing concerns over such matters when he played with Celtic. In any case, would a former player say he didn't aim a kick or that the player had a bad knee which caused a reflex action.

I think they have a point there is very little consistency although gunning is in the wrong.

having watched the clip you can see van dijk or whatever his name is hit his shin with his foot so maybe gunning kicked him back in the heat of the moment, I'm not saying van dijk kicked him deliberately or anything just that gunning got caught up in the heat of the moment,

But then again he misses the game against us so IDC :D

If this is how it's going to work then they should have every single game filmed and reviewed afterwards by compliance. If he hadn't done it, he wouldn't be in trouble but the idea that someone somewhere is picking this stuff at will for broadcast isn't too alien or far-fetched a concept. I can understand why they're a bit annoyed.

As mentioned above, it's the "random" nature that irritates the most. Especially on the occasions when it seems anything but random.

Bizarre decision I reckon. The game was shown live on Sky and the incident was mentioned by the commentary team as well. Are Sky banned from Tannadice ?

Am I rigt in saying that the highlights the BBC screen are actually provided by Sky anyway ? Not sure the dear old beeb have any/much edotrial control over what is shown.

Also agree that the TV coverage got Hamil off as well so it works both ways.

Gunning is a muppet for kicking out, if he hadn't done it then it wouldn't be in any coverage at all.

Think this was mentioned in the other thread, but if retrospectiveTV evidence is to be used, then the panel need to view every game in full, and base anh findings on this, not highlights packages if this is what they do)

Nothing in return? Do you think the BBC gets tv and radio rights for free?

It was suggested a couple of years ago that the BBC was not having to pay anything for the pathetic clips it obtained from Setanta to serve up to its Scottish viewers as a highlights package. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me at all, though.

If this is how it's going to work then they should have every single game filmed and reviewed afterwards by compliance.

Thats exactly how its done in other sports and other football leagues. Its mainly used as a tool to help officials and raise their performances.

Cant think why it isnt used in Scotland.:rolleyes:

gorgie rd eh11

What I find disturbing is that teams are lobbying for players to be disciplined - Hibs with Templeton and Stevenson (although McPake made a much worse challenge on Robinson in the game which put Scott out for months), and Celtic clamoring to get players reviewed and suspended now.

It's disappointing that Lunny only acts if managers/players kick up a stink in the press, he doesn't seem to act on what he sees. Teams are getting rewarded for stirring up trouble for other teams.

I think Ryan McGowan was also banned after an incident with sproule in a derby.

If this was hearts nearly everyone on here would be saying well done to the club etc and all the conspiracy pish.

alwaysthereinspirit

I thought I read that Gunning was retaliating to an incident from the Celtic player he kicked out at.

Was the original foul by said Celtic player highlighted or is this what Dundee Utd are upset over?

We know Celtic players can run to their fans after a goal,

we know Celtic players (fact) get to foul more before cards are given,

we know Celtic players are suspended less during a season than other teams players (see previous),

we know Celtic managers get to swear and scream at officials more than other managers,

we know Celtic managers can leave their coaching areas more than other managers,

we know Celtic players can argue in refs faces more than other teams players,

we know Celtic players would NEVER see red for heading the ball away,

we know Celtic players cheat to win penalties,

We know Celtic managers have association bans altered when suited,

We know Celtic can cancell league games to play money spinning friendlies,

We know all this and yet we do nothing to change it.

Well done Dundee Utd.

Feel free to add your own "we know"

It's crazy, STV have been hosting the clip since it was announced, are they getting banned?

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/dundee-united/238396-gavin-gunning-offered-three-match-ban-for-kicking-virgil-van-dijk/

United are chucking the toys out of the pram. Have they always been against retrospective punishments, or is it only when it affects their players?

It's crazy, STV have been hosting the clip since it was announced, are they getting banned?

http://sport.stv.tv/...irgil-van-dijk/

United are chucking the toys out of the pram. Have they always been against retrospective punishments, or is it only when it affects their players?

no sympathy for them at all but that is just down to how the United chairman signed Rudi on the sly and how he tried to stop us resigning Danny Wilson

The Wicker Man

If the camera never lies - why did they not look into the Hartson elbow or the Lennon kick on Pressley a few years back ?

If the camera never lies - why did they not look into the Hartson elbow or the Lennon kick on Pressley a few years back ?

I think reason given was it was Hearts own cameras that caught it and not the official camera or something like that ,anyway Martin O'Neill reckoned Webster elbowed himself in the face :D

Utd have every right to be angry singling out Gunning. There was other incidents too Celtic have got away with.

Utd have every right to be angry singling out Gunning. There was other incidents too Celtic have got away with.

Rubbish.

The player committed the offence... it was right to charge him.

Cannot understand the logic of wanting to ignore an offence just because another offence was not prosecuted.

Of course the fact that it was against Celtic has nothing to do with peoples opinions.

Oh and having sympathy for the Dundee United chairman just takes the biscuit.

Rubbish.

Cannot understand the logic of wanting to ignore an offence just because another offence was not prosecuted.

Of course the fact that it was against Celtic has nothing to do with peoples opinions.

You're correct - in that two wrongs don't make right - but a bit of clarity over the process might stop all this nonsense.

Thunderstruck

I think reason given was it was Hearts own cameras that caught it and not the official camera or something like that ,anyway Martin O'Neill reckoned Webster elbowed himself in the face :D

Or events at Tannadice where we had a couple of players sent off. Stewart was fair enough but Zal was simply trying to disengage himself from a choke-hold by a Utd player and got a red. It's a while ago but it might also have been a pen even though ball was out of play at half way by time Ref took action.

Rubbish.

Of course it's right to charge him. Celtic get off scot free though that is Uniteds gripe and rightly so.

Of course it's right to charge him. Celtic get off scot free though that is Uniteds gripe and rightly so.

So what has that got to do with banning the BBC and STV.............nothing thats what.

Please tell me why BT Sport and Sky have not been banned ?..............is it because of TV fees ?.........surely nothing as cynical as that........I mean its surely principal driving Uniteds actions despite the fact both of the other TV stations mentioned the incident......................or is it just because they can hit BBC and STV with little financial penalty.

alwaysthereinspirit

So what has that got to do with banning the BBC and STV.............nothing thats what.

Please tell me why BT Sport and Sky have not been banned ?..............is it because of TV fees ?.........surely nothing as cynical as that........I mean its surely principal driving Uniteds actions despite the fact both of the other TV stations mentioned the incident......................or is it just because they can hit BBC and STV with little financial penalty.

Neither BT Sport or Sky are deemed as Scottish. BBC Scotland and STV are. Therefore Utd believe they should both have an unbiased and fair production during news or sports highlights. They dont.

Utd feel aggrieved by what they perceive to be biased sports reporting with regards to two seperate incidents in the same game. They agree Gunning was wrong and should be punished. They want to know why a similar incident in the same televised game is not picked up on. Its time for Scottish football to have a swift kick up the @$$ and I wish more teams would demand answers to obvious questions. I applaud Utd. I wish more teams would take our associations to task.

Neither BT Sport or Sky are deemed as Scottish. BBC Scotland and STV are. Therefore Utd believe they should both have an unbiased and fair production during news or sports highlights. They dont.

Utd feel aggrieved by what they perceive to be biased sports reporting with regards to two seperate incidents in the same game. They agree Gunning was wrong and should be punished. They want to know why a similar incident in the same televised game is not picked up on. Its time for Scottish football to have a swift kick up the @$$ and I wish more teams would demand answers to obvious questions. I applaud Utd. I wish more teams would take our associations to task.

They agreed so much they appealed the decision............how can you type ' They agree Gunning was wrong and should be punished' when it is clearly false........they appealed not because they agreed but because they did not.

The decisions re 'punishment' are not that of the BBC or STV so whether highlighted or not it was not their decision to make.

All matches are looked at and any incidents reported are investigated...............so moan at the investigation process but not the TV companies.

alwaysthereinspirit

They agreed so much they appealed the decision............how can you type ' They agree Gunning was wrong and should be punished' when it is clearly false........they appealed not because they agreed but because they did not.

The decisions re 'punishment' are not that of the BBC or STV so whether highlighted or not it was not their decision to make.

All matches are looked at and any incidents reported are investigated...............so moan at the investigation process but not the TV companies.

I think they appealed to show up the system for what it is. Flawed. Only an idiot would believe they had a case for reversal, they knew they didn't but they want an explanation as to why an incident in the same game is not looked at in the same way. Consistency in Scottish football has always been a gripe when it came to either one of the two favoured sons.

Archived