Testimonial Matches From Yester Year ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

With not many testimonial games being played these days what matches from years gone by have been memorable ? Over the 80s n 90s i remember Walter Kidd's , Eamon Bannons , Gary MacKays v Everton,

John Robertson's v Newcastle however the one that sticks out was

Alex Macdonalds where Kevin Keegan starred for Hearts v Rangers .

I am quite looking forward to Robbie's match with all the cup legends on show more than the game on saturday .

Any truth in the rumour that there will be a 'long throw in' competition Neilson style ?

Is there any former players who deserved a testimonial game through years of service and never got one ?

WindyMiller

I remember going to Willie Bauld's.

5th November 1960 v Sheffield Wednesday(?).

Fireworks in the back-green when we got home!

speedbump

You'll find that Robbos was against Spurs, although we did play Newcastle that pre season.

Craig Levein's vs Hibs. John Leslie in goal for the Cabbage. I vowed never to go to another Testimonial. Pure ****e.

Neil Berry's v Olympique Lyonnaise

Hearts wore a natty pink Tartan strip :eek:

Poor Neil, if ever a player was going to get clattered and injure himself during his own testimonial...

I think the French won 2-0, although it may have been more.

Edit: just checked the wonderful London Hearts site. 3-1 to the French.

You'll find that Robbos was against Spurs, although we did play Newcastle that pre season.

Wrong.

Robbo's was on 27th July 1992 and an Ian Baird goal gave Hearts a 1-0 win over Newcastle in front of 11,105.;)

Ref. P239 of Gritty, Gallant, Glorious. There is a pic of the programme cover just to make sure.

Did Gary MacKay miss a penalty in his game before Joe Jordan came on and notched both in a 2-0 win over Everton???

speedbump
Wrong.

Robbo's was on 27th July 1992 and an Ian Baird goal gave Hearts a 1-0 win over Newcastle in front of 11,105.;)

Ref. P239 of Gritty, Gallant, Glorious. There is a pic of the programme cover just to make sure.

Did Gary MacKay miss a penalty in his game before Joe Jordan came on and notched both in a 2-0 win over Everton???

Yer right enough. I got slightly confused cause the game was on the monday night when it should have been on the saturday when we played spurs.:oopsoops::oopsoops:

With not many testimonial games being played these days what matches from years gone by have been memorable ? Over the 80s n 90s i remember Walter Kidd's , Eamon Bannons , Gary MacKays v Everton,

Alex Macdonalds where Kevin Keegan starred for Hearts v Rangers .

I am quite looking forward to Robbie's match with all the cup legends on show more than the game on saturday .

Any truth in the rumour that there will be a 'long throw in' competition Neilson style ?

Is there any former players who deserved a testimonial game through years of service and never got one ?

Yes, the legendary Cruickie who had a night out at the old Odeon arranged years later, but I don`t think it was by the club, but by the supporters.

I can remember being at Tynie for a testimonial in the late 70's but can't remember who is was for.

It was a scorching hot summer day and i can remember sitting on the terracing of the old away end (Gorgie Road end). I think it was against an East of Scotland select.

For some reason I have a vague memory that it was for John Cumming but he doesn't really fit as his last game was in the mid 60's.

Can anyone think of any testimonials that happened around that time?

Hearts Heritage

For some reason I have a vague memory that it was for John Cumming but he doesn't really fit as his last game was in the mid 60's.

Can anyone think of any testimonials that happened around that time?

John Cumming had a Hearts/Hibs select play a North East XI IIRC.

Testimonials, as a rule of thumb, are gash but I quite like the novelty factor with regards to this one. Although I have a feeling that may wear off before half time.

John Cumming had a Hearts/Hibs select play a North East XI IIRC.

Many thanks LH.

The reason i remember it was because it was the first time i had been in the old away end, the only other occasion was against Bayern Munich.

Do you know why they waited over ten years to give him a testimonial?

Oxford City

I think it was Bannon's testimonial when Mark Hughes was booked for persistent fouling. I remember being very impressed that someone put that level of effort and aggression into a testimonial.

Was it Craig Levein's against Coventry when a shockingly small crowd turned out and Allan McManus was sick on the pitch during the game?

bill duff

Yes, because Hearts, (over the years) have been Tom Kite in the PR department.

It should be automatic, that if a player has achieved certain things, (length of service, appearances, goals, whatever), that they should be rewarded by a testimonial. In fact, it's not likely to happen these days with the way contracts are written.

Cruikie, for one, was definitely shafted. I know we have tried recently to get him back and I know the reasons why he won't. However, in saying that, something should be done. The club, as a whole, should arrange something and I believe tha fans would do their part in supporting this. Obvioulsy, his attendance would make the occassion even better.

Before it's too late, let's get it done!

Prince Buaben

I remember going to watch Dave McPherson's testimonial v Rangers. I'm sure Gavin Hastings was in the hearts team may be wrong i was only 10!

I remember going to Willie Bauld's.

5th November 1960 v Sheffield Wednesday(?).

Fireworks in the back-green when we got home!

My recollection is that it was Sheffield United.

I think it was Bannon's testimonial when Mark Hughes was booked for persistent fouling. I remember being very impressed that someone put that level of effort and aggression into a testimonial.

Was it Craig Levein's against Coventry when a shockingly small crowd turned out and Allan McManus was sick on the pitch during the game?

I'm sure your right, it was under 3,000 and IIRC they arranged another one for him against Hibs for when he had to retire.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (as if has been known in the past!! ;) )

Say What Again
Here it is

1980051101%20North%20East%20XI%203-4%20Tynecastle.jpg

Robbie must have had me in a testimonial mood last week. I bought that programme and the Alex McDonald one mentioned above from eBay - for the grand total of ?2.10.

lambojambo
Yes, because Hearts, (over the years) have been Tom Kite in the PR department.

It should be automatic, that if a player has achieved certain things, (length of service, appearances, goals, whatever), that they should be rewarded by a testimonial. In fact, it's not likely to happen these days with the way contracts are written.

Cruikie, for one, was definitely shafted. I know we have tried recently to get him back and I know the reasons why he won't. However, in saying that, something should be done. The club, as a whole, should arrange something and I believe tha fans would do their part in supporting this. Obvioulsy, his attendance would make the occassion even better.

Before it's too late, let's get it done!

Absolutely spot on Mate!

Unlike the player to be 'honoured' on Sunday, Jim Cruikshank WAS a real Legend for HMFC.

I know many on here are too young to have seen him play however, from the mid 60's to early 70's Cruikie was one of the few good reasons to go to Tynecastle. As our pish poor team of the time was getting pummelled against the likes of the OF and Hibs - there was one man standing up to the heat - JIM CRUIKSHANK. I lost count of the number of penalties he saved!

Guys like Pressley and Neilson being mentioned in the same "Legend" category as Jim is, too many in my age group, a joke!

If this guy passes away without being honoured by HMFC then that will be a total disgrace!

[/b]

Absolutely spot on Mate!

Unlike the player to be 'honoured' on Sunday, Jim Cruikshank WAS a real Legend for HMFC.

I know many on here are too young to have seen him play however, from the mid 60's to early 70's Cruikie was one of the few good reasons to go to Tynecastle. As our pish poor team of the time was getting pummelled against the likes of the OF and Hibs - there was one man standing up to the heat - JIM CRUIKSHANK. I lost count of the number of penalties he saved!

Guys like Pressley and Neilson being mentioned in the same "Legend" category as Jim is, too many in my age group, a joke!

If this guy passes away without being honoured by HMFC then that will be a total disgrace!

I entirely agree.

Can't someone out there build a few bridges and get this man back to Tynecastle.

The sobriquet "Hearts Legend" could have been coined for him.

Hearts Heritage
[/b]

Absolutely spot on Mate!

Pressley WAS one of the great Hearts Captains. Only Bobby Parker was captain at the club for more seasons.

You all know my take on that overused word Legend.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/aalegends.html

Many thanks LH.

The reason i remember it was because it was the first time i had been in the old away end, the only other occasion was against Bayern Munich.

Obviosly just a young un'. Some of us remember the Gorgie Road End and the "old" Home end.;)

Many thanks LH.

John Cummings was still Hearts Physio during the 70's so I suspect his testimonial was in 1980 shortly after he retired.

I seem to recall Hearts seemed to stop doing testimonials for a while after the shambles when they made Willie Bauld pay for the match ball for his own testimonial. IIRC that was one of the reasons why Willie didn't return to Tynie for years.

Winston Ingram

Felt sorry for Levein the first time around.. We had been horsed on the Saturday (at Killie, I think) and the low crowd was inevitable. It was a bad time, the team were brutal.. Jefferies' first season when we slumped to bottom of the league maybe?

Oh, and I had that pink tartan number!! A "leisure shirt" it was!!

Bootboy100

Remember a testimonial against Everton we won 2 nil and our then manager Joe Jordan came on and scored the 2 goals. That game was dire!!!

My first ever Hearts game I believe was Roddy MacDonald's testimonial against Arsenal which we won 3-2 and Charlie Nicholas was playing for the gunners.

You seem to forget. The game itself is not a matter of who wins, but to celebrate the achievments of the player himself.

Yes, it will be nice to see the old faces of the players who won the cup in 98 etc., but remember, they are 10 years older. Yes, some are still active, but most are not playing week in and week out.

With your attendance, you are honoring the player himself.

With regards to the Jim Cruickshank situation, a committee should be set up looking in to the possibility of having a testimonial game, with or without him in attendance just to show how much we, the fans, really appreciated his service to the club.

At some point, we have to let bygones be bygones. There are no management personnel left at the club now from his day and now just might be the right time to organise something.

Would the fans support such an idea?

Doctor FinnBarr
Steve Sherwoods game at Watford was a good one.

I can remember trying to conga round the pitch at half time, the old bill stopping us and the Watford fans giving them pelters!

:653:

the spurs game was eammon bannons testamonial was it not?

gasgoine and lineker both played for spurs that night iirc.

I can remember trying to conga round the pitch at half time, the old bill stopping us and the Watford fans giving them pelters!

:653:

My memory from that game was being hit by the smell of alcohol when walked into the Hearts support that night.

Archived