Interesting Quote from Roy Keane

Guest GhostHunter

Guest GhostHunter
Sunderland boss Roy Keane has delivered a hands-off message to any clubs thinking of signing Kenwyne Jones or Craig Gordon. (Times)

Maybe he's saying hand's off unless you come in with an agreeable amount.

Would be interesting to see how much CG may go for in his next transfer....

Jack Torrance

Maybe we could offer ?500k with guarantees if we stay up in the SPL at the end of next season.

We could offer Craig a performance bonus. ?3k a week & 20 gallons of chippy sauce for every clean sheet.

We'd pesh the league next season guaranteed.

The Old Tolbooth
As long as he plays 100 games for them.

Thats all I am concerned about.

I wouldn't be surprised if the flogged him on to someone else round about the 98 game mark mate to be honest. I just hope they don't do what Rangers do and stick them in the reserves for 2 years to rot to avoid paying other clubs an appearance fee.

speedbump

Aye cause Sunderland really need to worry about paying out an extra ?1 million. Not every club in the world does it's business like Hearts/Rangers when it comes to payments/contract clauses.

Salvatori5

He had such a great season with Sunderland the big clubs must be flocking to sign him! :confused:

Looks like Keano is using this tactic to start the "punting process" as Gordon or Jones have not really lived up to their values.

Guest JamboRobbo
He had such a great season with Sunderland the big clubs must be flocking to sign him! :confused:

Looks like Keano is using this tactic to start the "punting process" as Gordon or Jones have not really lived up to their values.

aye, that'll be it. :rofl:

I wouldn't be surprised if the flogged him on to someone else round about the 98 game mark mate to be honest. I just hope they don't do what Rangers do and stick them in the reserves for 2 years to rot to avoid paying other clubs an appearance fee.

I'm sure I read on Talk107 that the last ?1m is in instyallments after the 50th, 75th and 100th game so if he stays we should get all the money.

Spitonastranger

Bo****ks, playing behind a poor defence what do you expect, :mad:

The Old Tolbooth
I'm sure I read on Talk107 that the last ?1m is in instyallments after the 50th, 75th and 100th game so if he stays we should get all the money.

Ah right, I didn't realise that, oh well, looks like we may well get what's due to us for a change, or at least Vlad will get more money for to play with.

Not sure about CG, but I heard a rumour that Liverpool wanted Jones for around ?9m.

i think you will find that if he does not play the required games then we would re-coup through a sell on clause

interista
i think you will find that if he does not play the required games then we would re-coup through a sell on clause

If not then whoever drafted the contract was a right numpty

True.

Also, not gospel but if he is sold before he reaches 100 games there is a sell on clause in the contract. That's not a definite though.

:4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72:

...Gordon or Jones have not really lived up to their values.

I'd agree with this up to a point, no matter how much ridicule it gets.

Gordon's had a solid, if unspectacular first season in the Premiership.

For a (fairly) young 'keeper, in a much harder league than he was used to and at a struggling club, that's good.

For the most expensive goalkeeper in the history of British football, it's disappointing - hence, he's not lived up to his value.

As for Jones, he strikes me as being a bit overrated, but certainly vital to Sunderland.

For a (fairly) young 'keeper, in a much harder league than he was used to and at a struggling club, that's good.

For the most expensive goalkeeper in the history of British football, it's disappointing - hence, he's not lived up to his value.

As for Jones, he strikes me as being a bit overrated, but certainly vital to Sunderland.

I think the "ridicule" as you put it is not aimed at what the poster said about them living up to their titles feck ?9M? Its his first season with a different club in a different league, a club that was fighting against relegation for most of the season, it'd be hard to live up to a ?9M value.

What is laughable is that Roy Keane is trying to "punt" them? Give me a break!

True.

Also, not gospel but if he is sold before he reaches 100 games there is a sell on clause in the contract. That's not a definite though.

Any chance it is a 99% sell on clause.

the voice from above

any idea how many time he's playe for them so far?

Maybe Ive just took the bait but clearly you've not watched them much this season!!! you don't know what you are talking about mate. They have both been outstanding and allowed the club to stay in the division.

Gordons price tag was a burden, couldn't expect much more from him at this stage. Hes going from stength to strength.

As for Jones if you watch him week in week out you'd see how much he does for the team and is great on the ball too. Not in the slightest over rated deserves every bit of praise. Largely responsible for keeping the mackems up.

Rumour mill has it spurs and liverpool are looking at around ?12m for him and if couch is valued at ?15m by rafa then jones is certainly worth ?12m!

Salvatori5
You don't know what you are talking about mate.

That's a tad harsh mate. I feel I do know what I am talking about so we best agree to differ. My comments were based on having watched Sunderland in person, several games on TV and having 2 friends who hold season tickets. Fairly good ground for research I'd have thought.

My comments on Gordon centre around his kicking and taking crosses - both well below "the best league in the world" standard.

I think Keane forked out the money on Gordon and Jones because while they may not be worth it now, with three years of premiership experience behind them they'd both be ripe for a move to a bigger club, or at least prove their value over a longer time period.

No player can justify their value in one season, not even Fernando Torres has.

alwaysthereinspirit
I think Keane forked out the money on Gordon and Jones because while they may not be worth it now, with three years of premiership experience behind them they'd both be ripe for a move to a bigger club, or at least prove their value over a longer time period.

No player can justify their value in one season, not even Fernando Torres has.

Gordon will be fine. This season was a learning experience for him.

Have great faith in him and that McGregor will never wear the Scotland #1 shirt in a game that matters.

portobellojambo1

Was listening to Roy Keane talking on Sky Sports Extra or News (!!), one of the fecking channels anyway, in relation to players in/out over the Summer in general Dex, and once again I was highly impressed by the way he spoke, in relation to what he expected from his players, what he expected from the board, how he interacted with the board, how each party had total confidence in the other etc. etc.

He has huge plans for Sunderland, as does Niall Quinn according to what he was saying, and it all sounded mightily impressive. Keane was someone I respected as a player, but like most good players of that style he had an element which at time made you think "the guy is an erse".

That appears to have gone now as he has totally focused on the job in hand, and that job seems to be trying to ensure Sunderland do the business on the park.

"When you look at Kenwyne and our goalkeeper, there are certain players who you think are definitely not going anywhere. No means no, without a doubt.

"It would set us back a hell of a lot of time, even if we got crazy money for them. It's all ifs and ands. Kenwyne and Craig are on long-term contracts."

Clearly he is looking to chase the guy out the door.

That's a tad harsh mate. I feel I do know what I am talking about so we best agree to differ. My comments were based on having watched Sunderland in person, several games on TV and having 2 friends who hold season tickets. Fairly good ground for research I'd have thought.

My comments on Gordon centre around his kicking and taking crosses - both well below "the best league in the world" standard.

you're right mate, it was a bit harsh, didn't mean to come over like that.

Sunderland are my '2nd team' though and Ive been down to a good few games this season and keep a close eye.

Gordons kicking and cross taking have both greatly improved this season. So I don't know what more you can ask really? surely sunderland know they paid the large fee on the basis he could become great premiership keeper, so as long as hes improving you can't ask much more of him yet.

Archived