Elmore Leonard

Auld Reekin'

Auld Reekin'

I was sorry to hear on tonight's news that Elmore Leonard died today: one of my favourite authors, and not just of crime-fiction. Perhaps some of his more recent books haven't quite reached the heights that his writing did twenty or thirty years ago, but he's left a great legacy of work behind him anyway. He captured the speech-patterns and language-use of his characters perfectly and effortlessly transported the reader onto the mean and seedy streets of Detroit, and the parts of Florida the tourist doesn't see, as well as into the minds and the lives of the often low-life characters he depicted.

He was fantastic at writing dialogue too, and captured the patterns and rhythms of his characters speech superbly: it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a major influence in this facet of Irvine Welsh's writing either*.

Anyone else a fan?

(*By far the strongest aspect, as far as I am concerned.)

Tommy Wiseau

Hadn't heard this yet, just got in from work. Sad news. One of my favourite authors. Wrote Rum Punch, Out Of Sight, Get Shorty and Three-Ten To Yuma - not only was he a great pulp author, but he knew how to tell a story that would look great on celluloid.

Get Shorty, in particular, is a cracking read.

Think I've only read Freaky Deaky and Get Shorty but I agree with all the comments above. I really need to get hold of some more of his stuff.

Archived