Wage Bills...

Deans9

Does anyone know where/have the wage bills for all SPFL Premiership teams for this season as it stands? Especially Vs last year?

Only reason I'm interested is from reading articles I can gather ours has dropped from around ?5million eighteen months ago, to ?1.5million for this season? These figures may be off, and if someone can correct me that would be appreciated. I'm also interested to see what other clubs are doing. Obviously most would be down with the current climate, warnings after the debacle of rangers and the crises of ourselves, Dunfermline and now, The Rangers.

Thanks in advance.

We must now have the lowest in the SPFL

Is that the lowest in total or the fact everyone is on half wages?

Would be interesting to see the total wage bills of the other clubs........and compared to their turnovers.....see how close to the wind they are sailing

tartofmidlothian

IIRC ours is now 800k for the year, but that's taking into account that four (five with Wilson?) players have agreed to a wage cut. I presume the intention is to put them back on full wages after admin.

Think we're lower even than Partick now, maybe not without the wage cut.

Hungry hippo

Is that the lowest in total or the fact everyone is on half wages?

Do you think those who have have reductions will return to their previous salaries post admin?

My understanding is that they have agreed to amend their contracts so the total wages and reduced wages are the same thing.

Do you think those who have have reductions will return to their previous salaries post admin?

My understanding is that they have agreed to amend their contracts so the total wages and reduced wages are the same thing.

Fair enough......I did actually think it was a pay cut for the short term...my bad

Hungry hippo

Fair enough......I did actually think it was a pay cut for the short term...my bad

I'm not 100% either mate. Wasn't trying to correct you - just stating my understanding.

tartofmidlothian

I'm not 100% either mate. Wasn't trying to correct you - just stating my understanding.

I got the impression it was a temporary cut while in admin, but I don't have evidence.

And what about Wilson? He signed on the wages he's on, so not quite a cut.

Hungry hippo

I got the impression it was a temporary cut while in admin, but I don't have evidence.

And what about Wilson? He signed on the wages he's on, so not quite a cut.

I think if it was temporary we would never have got rid of Sutton.

I doubt that our wage bill is anywhere near the lowest in the SPFL "Premiership".

Based on what? Barely a senior player left and the few that are took wage cuts. I'd be astounded if it wasn't one of the lowest

Francis Albert

Based on what? Barely a senior player left and the few that are took wage cuts. I'd be astounded if it wasn't one of the lowest

Based on a guess. Like everyone else's. And I was excluding temporary voluntary wage cuts.

Based on a guess. Like everyone else's. And I was excluding temporary voluntary wage cuts.

Even without the wage cuts I'd still think we're one of the lowest. Most of the young players are on their first senior contract. A couple signed improved deals. We've got the smallest squad by a distance as well.

I was told today that we had a player who earned more per week with bonuses etc then the entire squad earns now. Scary stuff.

I was told today that we had a player who earned more per week with bonuses etc then the entire squad earns now. Scary stuff.

Zal I would have thought.

If reports are correct, and the annual wage bill is ?800k (~?15k/week) it is believable...

To e fair out youth players probably would be on more than particks first team. I think hearts pay(or at least used to) the most outside the old firm for our youth players so from 16 and up you are on like 300 to 400 a week. Older players probably double that(templetons 5 year deal was signed at 800 a week iirc?)

To e fair out youth players probably would be on more than particks first team. I think hearts pay(or at least used to) the most outside the old firm for our youth players so from 16 and up you are on like 300 to 400 a week. Older players probably double that(templetons 5 year deal was signed at 800 a week iirc?)

you are way off the mark with the wages for hearts youth players, they are certainly not big earners. When the players get their first real pro contract at 19, then they start to earn. I think Mathew Park was the last player on the books who was earning funny money on a very long term contract, he left last summer without ever playing for the first team at the age of 25.

Hearts squandered fortunes on similar players who were getting 5 year contracts, many of them never to feature for the first team, instead they were loaned out to clubs in the lower divisions.. At last the club is living within its means and they have the best crop of young players on it's books since the 1950's. The number of youth players in recent seasons has been drastically reduced which in turn gives the fan what they want, quality rather than quantity.

kingantti1874

Wage bill is ?800k, expect only Partick's could be lower.

Yep this is the figure which has been mentioned on a few occasions, given we have the fewest players, and the youngest players in the country... We do have the smallest wage bill in the league.

you are way off the mark with the wages for hearts youth players, they are certainly not big earners. When the players get their first real pro contract at 19, then they start to earn. I think Mathew Park was the last player on the books who was earning funny money on a very long term contract, he left last summer without ever playing for the first team at the age of 25.

Hearts squandered fortunes on similar players who were getting 5 year contracts, many of them never to feature for the first team, instead they were loaned out to clubs in the lower divisions.. At last the club is living within its means and they have the best crop of young players on it's books since the 1950's. The number of youth players in recent seasons has been drastically reduced which in turn gives the fan what they want, quality rather than quantity.

I could be wrong but I believe they were tied into five year deals because the club didnt want them leaving for zilch if they did amount to anything. I personally thought this was wrong. I thought they'll just get comfy earning their pay packet doing nothing (eg Matthew park.) I thought they should be on one year rolling contracts, development monitored, then reviewed in December/January offered a new contract or told to buck up their ideas.

Might sound a bit harsh, but it is a business the men at the top are trying to run after all the cheers and tears of a match day and success or failure.

I know the club hasn't been run properly for years and know why we're in this mess. This being one of the many examples of why.

Francis Albert

If the wage bill really is something like ?800k, why do FoH need to make a working capital injection of ?3.75m?

If the wage bill really is something like ?800k, why do FoH need to make a working capital injection of ?3.75m?

There's a lot more to the finances of a club than just the wage bill.

For a start, we will eventually have to increase the wages of those who took cuts.

We'll have to look to bring in some experience, increasing the size of the playing staff.

We will have to prepare to offer more to those youngsters who show that they've got it to stop them disappearing with no income to the club.

etc.

I heard that our more experienced young players (Patterson, Holt, McHattie, etc) are on around ?700 a week. If they win a match that they started then they get a ?1000 bonus. The only players on higher wages would be McDonald, Hamill and Stevenson so I could believe that our wage bill is the lowest in the league.

Wage bill is ?800k, expect only Partick's could be lower.

?800k wage bill. To think under the bad old days we had a wage bill (inc other staff) of over ?10M. No wonder we went into admin.

If we have a turnover of around ?6M - ?8M and can keep a wage to turnover ration of no more than 50%, we sould never get into the crap again.

kingantti1874

I asked this before, it's worst case scenario including the cost offootball debts and relegation.. It's not just working cap for this season

just done a quick calculation of yearly earning based on 25 quid ticket and crowd of 13000. would give us 6175000 million. (this is no sponsers tv etc) minus the 800k sounds like a nice kitty if we can get out of admin and the CVA get approved then get through this season.

I'd believe we're maybe on the lowest but I wouldn't think it was by a large margin.

Got to take into account, coaching staff, admin staff etc.

I reckon we still have more people working in the club shop, ticket office etc. Than a few clubs even with the job cuts.

Buffalo Bill

IF we get out of admin, the club will never be allowed to fall into debt again. With a turnover of about ?7M, we could still afford a cracking squad, but on sensible wages.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I'd believe we're maybe on the lowest but I wouldn't think it was by a large margin.

I reckon we still have more people working in the club shop, ticket office etc. Than a few clubs even with the job cuts.

This, along with the catering and hospitality, is outsourced.

Agreed. Even outwith those reasons, the average wage and squad depth won't be hugely different for most other teams in league. I'd imagine average wage at most teams will be short of ?1kpw

IF we get out of admin, the club will never be allowed to fall into debt again. With a turnover of about ?7M, we could still afford a cracking squad, but on sensible wages.

Only thing I'd add is that, with success on the park especially, I think our turnover should be more than ?7M. I think we're capable of closer to ?10M if we get it right (Aberdeen's turnover has been more than ?7M recently I think... would need to check). That would put us at a massive advantage in Scottish football.

Agreed. Even outwith those reasons, the average wage and squad depth won't be hugely different for most other teams in league. I'd imagine average wage at most teams will be short of ?1kpw

Only thing I'd add is that, with success on the park especially, I think our turnover should be more than ?7M. I think we're capable of closer to ?10M if we get it right (Aberdeen's turnover has been more than ?7M recently I think... would need to check). That would put us at a massive advantage in Scottish football.

I think the highest turnover we achieved was somewhere in the ?10m-?12m range, but that was probably with half-decent TV money. I guess a turnover of even ?8m should allow us to put a ?5m squad on the park, which should allow us to be very competitive in SPL terms.

Hopefully we can finally build a new main stand at some point in a couple of years or so?

That is years off, even if we do come out of the whole liquidation possibility down the CVA route, we will still have to be run carefully for the foreseeable until we build up some cash in the bank. Hopefully helped through player sales. Any immediate surplus cash should be ploughed into expanding our scouting network to find the next Craig Gordon/Templeton/Driver etc and into youth development.

You may be right I'm a couple years out on my facts, they were correct in 2009 /10 but I guess a lot could of changes since then

That is years off, even if we do come out of the whole liquidation possibility down the CVA route, we will still have to be run carefully for the foreseeable until we build up some cash in the bank. Hopefully helped through player sales. Any immediate surplus cash should be ploughed into expanding our scouting network to find the next Craig Gordon/Templeton/Driver etc and into youth development.

I dunno I mean if the FOH think its a good idea then i can see them putting in a little capital each to boost the funds towards it, Romanovs stand claimed it could bring in around another ?2.25m per season generating another ?1.5m(?) for the local economy

If it can be justified and they make their money back quickly I cannot see why it couldn't be done within the next 10 years

How much roughly would a new stand cost ? ?20m ? If we can maintain a wage bill of ?3m for the next 5 years + pledges the FOH wouldnt even need to put capital in

Just a thought,

And your bang on with searching the lower leagues for the next templeton. I would also be hunting for players who are going to appreciate the playing for us (IE lower level but will take it seriously and not **** about)

a forward would be nice

Allowayjambo1874

Does anyone know where/have the wage bills for all SPFL Premiership teams for this season as it stands? Especially Vs last year?

Only reason I'm interested is from reading articles I can gather ours has dropped from around ?5million eighteen months ago, to ?1.5million for this season? These figures may be off, and if someone can correct me that would be appreciated. I'm also interested to see what other clubs are doing. Obviously most would be down with the current climate, warnings after the debacle of rangers and the crises of ourselves, Dunfermline and now, The Rangers.

Thanks in advance.

A recent report by BDO indicated that nearly every single club in Scotland were either maintaining current level of wage bill or reducing for the upcoming season.

As it stands I believe every club in Scotland is now pretty much abiding by the FPP rules in that wages are around 65-70% of turnover which puts most clubs wage bills between about ?3-?4m. (excluding the great unwashed)

If we manage to get through this CVA and are paying off soft loans via FOH in the region of about ?5m then the clubs with significant debt will be Sheep (approx ?15m), Killie (approx ?10m) Hibs (about ?5m) Dundee U (about ?4m) Ross C I think are about ?2m in debt to owner and Partick are about 850,000 in debt. St Mirren, Motherwell, St Johnstone are all cutting about evens now. Timothy's are obviously rolling in it and I cannot find out any info on ICT.

This is not 100% accurate info just going on various reports etc so some of this could be out and anyone with more up to date info can confirm.

For all the doom and gloom surrounding Scottish football it's kind of refreshing that nearly everyone has eventually got their shit together from a financial perspective.

Aberdeen are screwed the moment Milne walks or calls in his marker and Killie's hotel is worth about ?3m. Hibs are going backwards financially (losing about a mill a year) and unless their crowds up they may have to start cutting back. Dundee U have made inroads over last 2 seasons from about 7.5m to current level but that's been supplemented by some big player sales.

How much roughly would a new stand cost ? ?20m ? If we can maintain a wage bill of ?3m for the next 5 years + pledges the FOH wouldn't even need to put capital in

Apparently the last stand Hibs built only cost around ?3m.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Apparently the last stand Hibs built only cost around ?3m.

That's correct. Their former CEO told me that the original price was ?6m but the the builder was going through a quiet spell and offered to do it half price and they jumped at the chance.

That's correct. Their former CEO told me that the original price was ?6m but the the builder was going through a quiet spell and offered to do it half price and they jumped at the chance.

Their main stand was ?6m also but they got if for ?2m through the deal they did for the land it is built on.

Archived