Whisky Choices.

Ray Winstone

Ray Winstone

Right I will start by saying No blends!

I was started young on the single Malts and after enjoying Balvenie 12 years, Highland Park 12 - 18 years I inherited a bottle of Balvenie doublewood 12 years which I must say is amazing!

What are other people's favourites?

The Doctor

The Macallan.

Old Pulteney.

Rosebank.

Saying no blends is a bit arrogant though, I have a very nice bottle (actually a litre) of Johnnie Walker Blue Label which is highly regarded (and worth over ?150 I've just found out) and sought after. J&B is a lovely blend as well, it's not all about Grouse, Bells and Teachers.

speedbump

Never been a fan of the stuff but if pushed Highland Park.

chester copperpot
Never been a fan of the stuff but if pushed Highland Park.

Whisky is gash. :evilno:

Chip Douglas

My current tipple of choice is a Springbank 9 year old Masala Wood Expression.

Mind the splash of water though, it's 58%.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Irish rules - you can't beat Bushmills!

My favourite Scotch is Lagavulin.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

That's what I love about Whisky is that there's something for everyone

My all time favourite is Macallan Gran Reserva (unfortunately I drank the last bottle and to find another these days your looking at ?250 plus)

Everyday stuff I'll have an Ardbeg or a Highland Park

Stuart Lyon

Macallan Gran Rrva - matured in Spanish sherry casks?

Haven't tasted a bad malt - Jura, Highland Park, Auld Pultney and even Tesco's own brand have all been enjoyed recently.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Macallan Gran Rrva - matured in Spanish sherry casks?.

Yeah, well all macallan is in sherry casks (except fine oak) but these were two or three exceptional casks that they found

I tried a few Japanese malts at the last whisky festival at the SECC. Thought the 18y.o. Yamazaki from Suntori was amazing, it wiped the floor with Highland Park 18 & Talisker 18s.

Whisky of the day though was 40 y.o. Jura though, but far too expensive to actualy buy, luckily the guy on the Jura stand was a good bloke and a bit merry with it.:P

The Macallan.

Old Pulteney.

Rosebank.

Saying no blends is a bit arrogant though, I have a very nice bottle (actually a litre) of Johnnie Walker Blue Label which is highly regarded (and worth over ?150 I've just found out) and sought after. J&B is a lovely blend as well, it's not all about Grouse, Bells and Teachers.

I'll concur regarding the JW Blue label. Very smooth. My Bro-in-law has a bottle.

Malts or blends? Whatever floats your boat. There are plenty of deluxe whiskys that while not single malts are very nice indeed.

Stuart Lyon

Boris I agree there are lots of excellent blends from the basic to the deluxe brands.

John Findlay

Was not a whisky man myself until on the bus to Braga a fellow traveller and supporter gave me a nip of malt. From that day I have taking a great liking for

Laphoiag. Yes I have tried other malts but, nothing tingles my taste buds like my first.

John

Not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination (Jack Daniels drinker normally) but I really like bunnahabhain.

Stewart MacD

Well, if you spell it that way, you must mean Irish or American, and the latter is only for cleaning the toilet.

Not an expert, but I like a Jameson's.

Well, if you spell it that way, you must mean Irish or American, and the latter is only for cleaning the toilet.

Not an expert, but I like a Jameson's.

I like Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey. Does this mean I have a potty mouth?;)

japanjambo
I tried a few Japanese malts at the last whisky festival at the SECC. Thought the 18y.o. Yamazaki from Suntori was amazing, it wiped the floor with Highland Park 18 & Talisker 18s.

Whisky of the day though was 40 y.o. Jura though, but far too expensive to actualy buy, luckily the guy on the Jura stand was a good bloke and a bit merry with it.:P

I've been to the Suntory whisky brewery a few times. Not the one in Yamazaki, but the one in Hakushu. At the end of the tour there's a wee tasting session, where for about 20 minutes you are given snacks and can help yourself to the whisky! They also make beer and various kinds of juice. Huge company.

Lynn :ninja:

rossi_1983

Not a fan of whisky

Have a bottle of Jura single malt in my cupboard, that I won in a pub quiz about 5 years ago, sitting untouched

Carl Fredrickson

I like the Springbanks - Caedenheads shop being a favourite of mine.

My all time favourite is a 21 year old North British which I beleive was stored next to Tynie!

Therapist
I was started young on the single Malts and after enjoying Balvenie 12 years, Highland Park 12 - 18 years I inherited a bottle of Balvenie doublewood 12 years which I must say is amazing!

None of those mentioned are whiskey. :sad:

If you mean whisky, then I prefer Highland Park. :)

I don't drink whiskey so can't comment on them.

If there is one thing I hate is all the snobs who come on here and say "I only drink single malt"

I bet if I gave you 2 decent blends and a malt you couldn't tell me which was which.

I have just bought a bottle of Monkey Shoulder, a blend of 3 Speyside whiskies and it is the bee's knee's. A bargain at ?21.

IMA MAROON
If there is one thing I hate is all the snobs who come on here and say "I only drink single malt"

I bet if I gave you 2 decent blends and a malt you couldn't tell me which was which.

I have just bought a bottle of Monkey Shoulder, a blend of 3 Speyside whiskies and it is the bee's knee's. A bargain at ?21.

?21!!!

You get a decent malt for ?21. :P

?21!!!

You get a decent malt for ?21. :P

I am sure you do, I am just not that pretentious. :kiss2:

IMA MAROON
I am sure you do, I am just not that pretentious. :kiss2:

Ha ha. I'll drink anything. I'll be looking out for your recommendation, see if I can get it when it is on offer.

Im not a whisky fan but I can drink it.

has any one had knobs creek? ok so its an american whiskEy and has a gay name but its 45% and tastes braw.

Im not a whisky fan but I can drink it.

has any one had knobs creek? ok so its an american whiskEy and has a gay name but its 45% and tastes braw.

I had a bottle at christmas, I tried it straight, but preferred it with some diet coke. I would be as well getting a bottle of Lidl's own bourbon at ?8.99.

Now wine that is a different story. :)

super_vlad

nothing beats laphroaig ! Good whisky should tell you the same story every time you drink it !

In terms of bourbon, then maker's mark and wild turkey are pretty decent. In the last year i've moved away from whisky and moved on to rum ! Appleton estate is the dogs balls the now !

At least your taste in whisky is better than your taste in tequila ;)

Any single malt is likely to be a nice whisky, the Islay distillieries are my favourite :)

Ray Winstone
None of those mentioned are whiskey. :sad:

I don't drink whiskey so can't comment on them.

The thread title is WHISKY CHOICES rather than WHISKEY, which may account for the lack of WHISKEYS I have mentioned.

Boris I agree there are lots of excellent blends from the basic to the deluxe brands.

It's funny, I have no time for Islay malts. Too peaty for me, yet one of my favourite blends is Black Bottle. :confused: Must be the cola i dilute it with.:P

J&B is one of my favourites too.

Stewart MacD
The thread title is WHISKY CHOICES rather than WHISKEY, which may account for the lack of WHISKEYS I have mentioned.

Title has been amended?

Agree with Boris I dont like Islay malts reminds me of visits to the dentists when I was wee.

Enjoy my local tipple Glenkinchie

Used to drink Old Parr but cant seem to get it anywhere now probably export only and its a blend.

Stuart Lyon

Boris - J&B is one of my favourite lends. Cockburns of Leith's on blend was/is very similar and just as nice.

Therapist
At least your taste in whisky is better than your taste in tequila ;)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :evilno:

That was a reposada-quality sipping tequila, the second best, and way better than the Jose Cuervo "only good for cocktails" pesh.

And you've got a cheek considering you gatecrashed my pre cup final champagne breakfast party so it was all free. :sad::mad:

It's funny, I have no time for Islay malts. Too peaty for me, yet one of my favourite blends is Black Bottle. :confused: Must be the cola i dilute it with.:P

J&B is one of my favourites too.

You should try a Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain then. Or possibly even a Bowmore. From the north of Islay and still have the sweetness but without the overpowering phenolic taste.

Mmm, think I might have to raid the work's sample store!

gorgiegirl
Boris - J&B is one of my favourite lends. Cockburns of Leith's on blend was/is very similar and just as nice.

J & B is what we usually purchase on holiday, great value ay approx ?5 a litre. Caol Ila is my favourite malt, have a bottle of the cask strength unopened (probably not for long). Johnny Walker blue label is great as is the JW oldest, have them both but don't want to open them, might just open my Dad's bottles. :P

Cappuccino Kid

Highland Park or Scapa would be my usual choice. Like others not a big fan of Islay whisky.

Off to the Whisky Society for a spot of lunch so may explore some new whisky's this afternoon.

Ray Winstone

Its not arogance - I enjoy a Jonny Walker now and again.

I just forgot to put Malt in the title and had to make a wee bit of alteration to the opening line.

As for amending the title from Whiskey to Whisky - I can assure you it was Whisky when I started it has not been amended.

Hence why I dont understand Therapist getting his knickers in a twist because I have not mentioned any Whiskeys.

Stuart Lyon

Forgot about Bowmore - nice. Benromach is also quality. I think I might be a whisky slut!

japanjambo
Forgot about Bowmore - nice. Benromach is also quality. I think I might be a whisky slut!

You wouldn't believe the price of imported whisky over here! Must be the cheapest on the planet! Actually make that imported *boose*...hic! LOL!

I LOVE JAPAN!

Lynn:mj_zivili:

Doctor FinnBarr
Its not arogance - I enjoy a Jonny Walker now and again.

I just forgot to put Malt in the title and had to make a wee bit of alteration to the opening line.

As for amending the title from Whiskey to Whisky - I can assure you it was Whisky when I started it has not been amended.

Hence why I dont understand Therapist getting his knickers in a twist because I have not mentioned any Whiskeys.

It WAS Whiskey to start with! I remember seeing it and thought about commenting.

;)

japanjambo
It WAS Whiskey to start with! I remember seeing it and thought about commenting.

;)

Ditto!

Archived