Deep Heat

tosheeturtle

tosheeturtle

Last few days that I have been out running the bottom inside of my calf muscles have been really sore... so thought i would try deep heat!! never used it before but think I have had a bad reaction too it...both legs are bright red and the skins is a bit raised, i know its called deep heat but my legs feel like they are burnt!! Dont think i sprayed that much either!! Anyone know if this is abnormal? :confused:

PeterCapital
Last few days that I have been out running the bottom inside of my calf muscles have been really sore... so thought i would try deep heat!! never used it before but think I have had a bad reaction too it...both legs are bright red and the skins is a bit raised, i know its called deep heat but my legs feel like they are burnt!! Dont think i sprayed that much either!! Anyone know if this is abnormal? :confused:

Red skin and burning would be normal and I know I get that. The name gives it away, it meant to be hot.

Guest S.U.S.S.

It will settle, have faith!;)

Tams bird

Maybe you sprayed it too close to your skin. NEVER get it sprayed on the bottom of your back so it runs down your skin:eek::eek::eek:

hughesie27

It's makes your skin heat up in order to make it heal quicker. It must draw blood to the area you spray it on or something hence the redness.

Ray Winstone

Whatever you do with deap heat - NEVER GET IT ON YOU BALLS!

Had me writhing around on the floor for a good 20mins.

jamboinglasgow

I was getting told that a london university rowing club have an initation for novices where they have to swim in a lake collecting things and the last one home has to spray deep heat on their gentials. This is normally a guy race but apparntly one girl came last and willing did the deep heat thing.

Ray Winstone
I was getting told that a london university rowing club have an initation for novices where they have to swim in a lake collecting things and the last one home has to spray deep heat on their gentials. This is normally a guy race but apparntly one girl came last and willing did the deep heat thing.

I dont envy them!

It is soooo sore.

DarthVodka

Never use the spray stuff! Wash your hands after using the cream!

speedbump

Done that when playing rugby:eek1::1222::nooo:

Jimmy McNulty

Dont do what I did last season. Rub it in to my legs, then go for a pee (forgot it was still on my hands).

Ouch.

Deep Heat is possibly one of the worst ways to treat muscular pain. It basically masks the pain so you think that it is ok, when in fact you apply pressure on the muscle and have a high chance of doing further damage.

Ibuprofen Gel is far safer as it reduces the swelling in the fibres but I would still urge caution to use the muscle heavily until it has healed.

Muscle's tend to heal better with hot and cold compresses.

When a muscle becomes damaged, the fibres are typically stretched. By applying heat only the fibres stretch even more which makes them weaker than they were originally. The cold compress allows the fibres to contract and heal in a more natural shape. When a cold compress is followed by the hot compress it then allows blood back into the muscle to help repair the muscle.

Also use a damp tea-towel when using a cold compress and no longer than 15-20 minutes otherwise there is a small risk of frost-bite.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Have a proper stretch instead.

Then you won't need any fancy-dan creams or sprays.

Definitely the way to go. Creams and sprays are for poofs :evilno:

A 5 minute stretch / warm up before any sport is all that is required.

Definitely the way to go. Creams and sprays are for poofs :evilno:

A 5 minute stretch / warm up before any sport is all that is required.

You have to be careful on how you define stretch.

A static stretch should only be done two times (any more than that an it becomes innefective) and held for 20seconds. You should try to only do static stretching after exercise, when the muscles are warm. This aids in stretching the muscle more.

Dynamic stretching should be done prior to exercise and this should take 15 - 20 minutes. Dynamic stretching allows the muscles to loosen but more importantly allows all of the joints to warm-up properly and reduce the possibility of joint injury.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
You have to be careful on how you define stretch.

A static stretch should only be done two times (any more than that an it becomes innefective) and held for 20seconds. You should try to only do static stretching after exercise, when the muscles are warm. This aids in stretching the muscle more.

Dynamic stretching should be done prior to exercise and this should take 15 - 20 minutes. Dynamic stretching allows the muscles to loosen but more importantly allows all of the joints to warm-up properly and reduce the possibility of joint injury.

Most people would be knackered after the warm up ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

:oopsoops:

Got the spray on my balls a couple weeks back after pullin my calf training, jeezo that is pain, goes pure red and I was over the sink getting as much cold water to the area ASAP. eyes water up and feels like your on fire.

dont wish it on anyone ;)

Most people would be knackered after the warm up ;)

It would certainly knacker me :biggrin:;)

japanjambo
It seems that Deep Heat knackers your knackers! :)

LOL! I pulled a hamstring ten pin bowling, about 7 weeks ago. It's still sore. I've just tried to let it heal on it's own right enough. At least I *think* it was a hamstring! Something *gave* in my leg when I threw my first bowl. I was bowling with three older japanese ladies, so carried on bowling for two games! Probably a stupid thing to do, as it was agony. But I didny want to wimp out! :cool:

Lynn...I've just totally rambled there! :ninja:

PS. And before anybody asks...naw! I've not touched a drop tonight!;)

Archived