Uruguay set to legalise and tax cannabis.

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23516966

Seems like a sensible decision to me. Most problems with illegal substances arise from those who control its supply, the dealers, gangs and so on who use the funds to organise crime and in money laundering for other offences. Medically, it's less dangerous than alcohol and historically, prohibition and the 'War on Drugs' just hasn't worked. I doubt that it'll open up a debate in the UK, given that drug advisors have been sacked for reporting facts which are contrary to the government/party line.

Roll on a free, independent, left-wing republic Scotland setting an example to the world and legalising and taxing all drugs.

Alba gu Brath

Roll on a free, independent, left-wing republic Scotland setting an example to the world and legalising and taxing all drugs.

We could fund our own NHS with the contributions from Hibs' players alone.

Hmm, I think it's a decent enough idea but there are problems...

I don't think it should be legalised and sold the same way as cigarettes (it's good Uruguay aren't doing that).

I quite like the idea of certain places where it is allowed in Amsterdam.

I think it would be a good idea but it should only be allowed to be used in designated bars/cafes and in homes where children do not live.

fabienleclerq

Hmm, I think it's a decent enough idea but there are problems...

I don't think it should be legalised and sold the same way as cigarettes (it's good Uruguay aren't doing that).

I quite like the idea of certain places where it is allowed in Amsterdam.

I think it would be a good idea but it should only be allowed to be used in designated bars/cafes and in homes where children do not live.

If they only legalise it in certain areas is there much point? Surely that'll mean the drug dealers carry on as normal and sell it tax free.

The People's Chimp

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-23516966

Seems like a sensible decision to me. Most problems with illegal substances arise from those who control its supply, the dealers, gangs and so on who use the funds to organise crime and in money laundering for other offences. Medically, it's less dangerous than alcohol and historically, prohibition and the 'War on Drugs' just hasn't worked. I doubt that it'll open up a debate in the UK, given that drug advisors have been sacked for reporting facts which are contrary to the government/party line.

Dozens of young adults and teenagers have died from PMA poisoning having taken dud ecstasy pills which contained PMA and not MDMA. That's dozens this year. Those young adults have died across the UK. It's a scandal and if individually one young adult dies in other circumstances there is an outcry. In this case? Nothing. Some papers, although others reported it in a more knowledgeable manner, blamed "Ecstasy" for the deaths. These deaths were as a direct result of 'prohibition' and the fear of having an adult/reasonable conversation about drug taking, such as allowing testing of drugs. The only people who currently benefit from prohibition are gangsters and organised crime.

Gangsters cut costs and produce PMA pills, the end result, dozens of young people dying across the country.

I P Knightley

With the revenue from Glasgow, Dundee and Leith, Scotland would have the best financed Public sector in the world.

Seriously, I struggle to come up with any reason NOT to control the supply and quality of drugs in a similar way to fags'n'booze. Not only increasing the govvy's tax take but also clipping the social costs of the current illegal market.

dobmisterdobster

I thought you hated people who smoke weed.

ArcticJambo

Certain jurisdictions in N America are heading in a similar direction.

Here in the North we have a major problem with alcohol especially,and to a lesser extent soft drugs. The main problem being the very high usage by a significant proportion of the population - I wouldn't quote me on it but it I'd say in the figures are in the region of 35-40%, who frequently smoke weed. Now this isn't a problem per se, however where it does hit families hard is in the pocket as costs range from $30 a gram in the capital to $60-100 in the communities pretty much irrespective of demand. Kids often grow hungry as weed-dependent parents blow significant portions of their income trying to escape the boredom and the trauma of their past.

Also, we're seeing (or at least I believe we're seeing) the effects of long-term usage from an early age, kids who've regularly been smoking since they were 12/13 ... increased schizophrenic episodes. This of course manifests itself in an individual's disordered dealings with society. One of the kids I coached at least 10 yrs back, just yesterday relapsed (he went South for treatment previously) and is now in custody and will likely be sent out again.

Legailization wouldn't necessarily stop this but at least prices would be cheaper and there would be better control on who distributes. Education and all the rest too.

I thought you hated people who smoke weed.

I think it's juvenille, yes.

But I also don't like tobacco smoking.

However - I understand other people do, and that's fair enough. However at least with rank tobbaco smokers they're paying their own way without making criminals rich whilst buying sub-standard merch.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Where is he btw?

If it means that much to you, our esteemed Uruguay correspondent posted the same on Facebook. Ask him!

Geoff Kilpatrick

With the revenue from Glasgow, Dundee and Leith, Scotland would have the best financed Public sector in the world.

Seriously, I struggle to come up with any reason NOT to control the supply and quality of drugs in a similar way to fags'n'booze. Not only increasing the govvy's tax take but also clipping the social costs of the current illegal market.

Correct.

The only question is whether it would place greater burdens on creaking health systems.

I P Knightley

Correct.

The only question is whether it would place greater burdens on creaking health systems.

Some swings and roundabouts, I'd imagine.

A lot of savings in the criminal/justice system; savings in health costs due to users receiving controlled dope; less frequency of being exposed to the harder, nastier stuff with the associated methadone costs etc.

Given that weed is so easy to come by, it would be interesting to see by just how much usage were to increase if you could buy the stuff at Boots. I doubt that we'd turn into a nation of Dylan the rabbits.

ArcticJambo

Some swings and roundabouts, I'd imagine.

A lot of savings in the criminal/justice system; savings in health costs due to users receiving controlled dope; less frequency of being exposed to the harder, nastier stuff with the associated methadone costs etc.

Given that weed is so easy to come by, it would be interesting to see by just how much usage were to increase if you could buy the stuff at Boots. I doubt that we'd turn into a nation of Dylan the rabbits.

Is it easy to come by in Scotland ? Is the quality any good, generally?

What percentage smoke ... say a recreational smoke once a week, maybe before going out for a few drinks on a Sat night (or mid-Sat night drinks), or before a movie for instance ?

Our circle of friends, before I left the country certainly had plenty of access to hash (and it was generally crap) but weed was hardly ever seen ... this was 15-20 yrs ago mind.

Guest C00l K1d

Is it easy to come by in Scotland ? Is the quality any good, generally?

What percentage smoke ... say a recreational smoke once a week, maybe before going out for a few drinks on a Sat night (or mid-Sat night drinks), or before a movie for instance ?

Our circle of friends, before I left the country certainly had plenty of access to hash (and it was generally crap) but weed was hardly ever seen ... this was 15-20 yrs ago mind.

It's very easy to get if you want it and the quality depends on what your willing to pay tbf.

I don't smoke it a lot but it's no secret that you could ask any tom dick or harry where to get it and they could point you in the right direction :laugh:

ArcticJambo

It's very easy to get if you want it and the quality depends on what your willing to pay tbf.

I don't smoke it a lot but it's no secret that you could ask any tom dick or harry where to get it and they could point you in the right direction :laugh:

Changed days. Maybe we were just poor, and easily gullible back then. Saying that more recently, well about 8yrs back, Mrs AJ manged to sniff out some up Arthur's Seat within minutes of our arrival near the top. Struck up a conversation and ended up with a contact in the West End. Excellent quality. So yes, you're right ... if you so desire you'll find a way.

PsychocAndy

It's been about 18 years since I last had a joint, used as a painkiller, and if it was legalised here, I'd be back on it in a flash. It would save on a hell of a lot of prescription drugs just now that I'm getting. That is if it still works the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Harry Palmer

If it means that much to you, our esteemed Uruguay correspondent posted the same on Facebook. Ask him!

Thank feck, as I was about to say that he's slavering guff on Facebook, feck knows about twitter but he'd probably have difficulty lolzzzzzzzzz!

Anyway, I'm for this. A nice trial area, pay and safe environment etc etc etc...

Geoff Kilpatrick

Thank feck, as I was about to say that he's slavering guff on Facebook, feck knows about twitter but he'd probably have difficulty lolzzzzzzzzz!

Anyway, I'm for this. A nice trial area, pay and safe environment etc etc etc...

I actually think he's still on here, under an alias, but that is his choice.

Check out the Wimbledon thread. :)

Great read. Uly nailed it :lol:

So he has chucked the toys out the pram and isn't posting? :rofl:

Really?

:rofl:

Mind you, I remember feeling similarly when Wisau & co acted extremely badly toward me after the Holly pic.

:muggy:

Really?

:rofl:

Mind you, I remember feeling similarly when Wisau & co acted extremely badly toward me after the Holly pic.

:muggy:

Disgusting. Was nothing short of bullying.

Archived