Tynecastle Park

Drumelzier

I posted a similar question on another thread and was encouraged to give it a thread of it's own, so here goes, does anyone on here have a rough idea of how many folk had their ashes interned or scattered at Tynecastle ?

RIP to all.

queensferryjambo

I have no idea but surely if you contacted the club they must have some kind of record of this.

If they don't then shame on them.

Floridajambo

So wouldn't that then make Tynecastle a cemetery/sacred ground and restrict change of use to...er...apartments? its probably haunted...

So wouldn't that then make Tynecastle a cemetery/sacred ground and restrict change of use to...er...apartments? its probably haunted...

That's kind of where I was coming from, legal stuff could tie a potential property developer up for ages, I'm sure you know who I mean.

queensferryjambo

Hearts legend Bobby Kirk was scattered at Tynecastle.

His son was on the forum recently saying his father's ashes were scattered on the pitch.

Two that i know of are Ian Crawford (2 goals in '56 final) and wee Sinky. They now create a hole in the pitch (behind goal) and once ashes are scattered,fill it in.

Hearts legend Bobby Kirk was scattered at Tynecastle.

His son was on the forum recently saying his father's ashes were scattered on the pitch.

Bobby was a great guy, done a lot of physio for me.

Punks No Deid

With all the health and safety nonsense thats goes on nowadays its bound to be a nightmare. Risk assessment and method statement for scattering ashes on grass ...jeez

Fxxx the SPFL

I have already told the wife to scatter my ashes behind the goals hopefully Tynie will still be here. my old man was a Hibbie and his ashes are scattered in the trees at Carricknowe golf course 13th hole his favorite course. I still keep some in a small wooden box that I made in first year at Tynie School circa 1968. i have him to thank for taking me to Tynie in 1961. We did live in Wheatfield Place happy memories lets hope we have years more and hopefully if my offspring ever produce granbairns they will get the chance to visit the hallowed ground.

HHGH

I posted a similar question on another thread and was encouraged to give it a thread of it's own, so here goes, does anyone on here have a rough idea of how many folk had their ashes interned or scattered at Tynecastle ?

RIP to all.

This is a good question.

If I'm not mistaken, if ashes were scattered on a particular site then the site could be classed as sacred ground restricting any future planning and building on that site.

Arsenal had issues with this for the Highbury development I think. There were plans to cover the entire site with houses/flats but plans had to be altered so that the footprint of the pitch was not built upon. The developers then spun it as leaving a green space for residents but it severely reduced the units and income from that site.

We/Hearts/FoH or fans should be clever and apply for an order to be put on Tynecastle. It would really make it difficult for UKIO admin to consider selling it in liquidation.

My Grandad was scattered at the Gorgie end about two years ago.. not behind the goal but in the goal mouth and theres some of his ashes on the penalty spot aswell.. ;)

GuitarJambo

ashes arent scattered in tynie now, theyre burried behind the goals at the gorgie end.

I know this because my step dads dad was done there last year

Urban myth as far as I'm aware.

Buffalo Bill

I don't fancy being cremated so just bury my body behind the goal, thanks. Maybe leave a toe poking up.

scott herbertson

I don't fancy being cremated so just bury my body behind the goal, thanks. Maybe leave a toe poking up.

On the goal line for me - just leave a hand in a keeper's glove sticking up

WeeToonJambo

Football clubs tend not to allow it these days as it is seen as a bio hazard .

Ashes were scattered at Palmerston last Saturday, after our game with QOS.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I can't see myself coming back in the Angel guise so I would like my remains scattered all over Easter Rodent if possible please !

Haunt the ******* !

Not saying that the thread has got disrespectful, but just in case it does can it be taken back on topic.

My dad's ashes were scattered along the front of section D where I sit, it was comforting for my mum to think he was there with me. You couldn't put them on the pitch itself just around the edge. This was 10 years ago mind.

Have to say that Hearts were brilliant to deal with arranging it all, and were so good with us on the day.

fabienleclerq

This is a good question.

If I'm not mistaken, if ashes were scattered on a particular site then the site could be classed as sacred ground restricting any future planning and building on that site.

Arsenal had issues with this for the Highbury development I think. There were plans to cover the entire site with houses/flats but plans had to be altered so that the footprint of the pitch was not built upon. The developers then spun it as leaving a green space for residents but it severely reduced the units and income from that site.

We/Hearts/FoH or fans should be clever and apply for an order to be put on Tynecastle. It would really make it difficult for UKIO admin to consider selling it in liquidation.

I don't think it'd be that clever tbh, what happens if we want to move in the future? Then we have reduced the value of the land we want to sell.

Shanks said no

My Uncle was scattered there and he had left specific instructions that the funeral courtege was to pass along Gorgie Road, a long detour!, so he could see Tynecastle one last time. One of those days when you know how special Hearts are to an awful lot of people.

I don't think it'd be that clever tbh, what happens if we want to move in the future? Then we have reduced the value of the land we want to sell.

Correct, and we could potentially scupper the Foundation, if any of their funding is secured against the value of Tynecastle.

I checked this out with an Arsenal fan, it's not a show stopper but certainly another delay for any potential buyers.....

"What happened at Highbury, and presumably it'll be the same up there, is; the developers had to publish notices around the site to say they were developing on a memorial site. Anyone who had relatives ashes scattered within the last 25 years had the right to come forward and state the relatives details, Arsenal had a record of most of them anyway. I think you had around 12 weeks to do so. The relatives can then remove, an urn for example, and move to the memorial site that the developer has to create for the remains/ashes (which has to be within a certain distance of the actual burial site (as it's known), if there's nothing to remove then your relatives name is simply added to the memorial. Different situation of course, we knew we we're moving and the memorial garden was being created. I guess it doesn't stop anything but puts another barrier in the way for a builder, as I'd suggest you could wait the full 12 weeks and kick off about the memorial location etc etc. Hope that helps. Good Luck with saving your club"

Archived