Whats Westfield like these days

Alva-Jambo

forty years since I lived in Westfield Road where I was brought up. Went to Roseburn Primary.

Learnt to swim in the burn.

Played in the crescent and in the backgreens.

There were tram sheds and we got

in and played with the sand in the sandboxes for the winter rails.

Used to fight with the lads from Westfield court.

But also we were not Gorgie Boys - but now of course it's different.

My u

ncle Will Colburn kept doos round the road to Murrayfield beyond damhead.

We had Westfield Autocar, with smart Morris cars to admire with white tyres.

Good old Roxie Cinema with Mr Poole at the start, and the Micky Mouse club on Saturday mornings.

Cox's glue works and the gulls, I always think of Westfield and the cry of seagulls.

They brought on the cup in 56.

Gorgie Crescent - remembered them demolished. Still got some old pics.

How's Westfield these days anyone.

forty years since I lived in Westfield Road where I was brought up. Went to Roseburn Primary.

Learnt to swim in the burn.

Played in the crescent and in the backgreens.

There were tram sheds and we got

in and played with the sand in the sandboxes for the winter rails.

Used to fight with the lads from Westfield court.

But also we were not Gorgie Boys - but now of course it's different.

My u

ncle Will Colburn kept doos round the road to Murrayfield beyond damhead.

We had Westfield Autocar, with smart Morris cars to admire with white tyres.

Good old Roxie Cinema with Mr Poole at the start, and the Micky Mouse club on Saturday mornings.

Cox's glue works and the gulls, I always think of Westfield and the cry of seagulls.

They brought on the cup in 56.

Gorgie Crescent - remembered them demolished. Still got some old pics.

How's Westfield these days anyone.

Well the Westfield is the Gorgie Cavendish so I'm told, the rivers still got shopping trolleys in it, the Roxie sells beds, there is still a flock of seagulls shitin everywhere and the h1b5 fans buzzed the glue, the cups made 3 more appearances and h1b5 will get demolished soon, wasn't the pub called the Final Furlong back then?

William H. Bonney

I stay on westfield road and its a complete shithole. Biggest mistake of my life moving here. The pub is a complete nightmare, constant bother.

I stay on westfield road and its a complete shithole. Biggest mistake of my life moving here. The pub is a complete nightmare, constant bother.

Me and my mate ventured there after the last derby. All kicked off a few times but we kept ourselves to ourselves and got no hassle at all.

Kind of enjoyed it in the end as mad as it sounds.

Mr Bonney you can talk with a handl like that!

Moving on there must be a lot of Jambos in Westfield Road and Westfield Street.

But I remember when the Huns used to come marching along the street before matches, I saw bottles flying,

bus windows put in, and shops too, what a mess they made. But it was quite a good street , and we used to think we were just a bit above

the other streets around! OF course that was probably just us.

There was a crescent of grass opposite numbers 17 to 9, which is now 1960s flats. So we could play footie there and sometimes had battles with the lads from Westfield Court

the Bannana flats. The Station BAr was the only pub until the 70s . I never liked the look of that dive opposite. My mum lived therde till she died in 1980 and I've only ever lookts in on the street about twice since. Sauchton Park was a good place to hang out when young. I bet its a dump now.

Anyone else here go to the Roxy on Saturday mornings, it was in the 50's so most are probably deed.

Fxxx the SPFL

Anyone else here go to the Roxy on Saturday mornings, it was in the 50's so most are probably deed.

I was brought up in wheatfield place 1957-1979 used to play with mates at the banana flats the mowat twins (sadly Ian passed away last year) their dad used to be the caretaker. Can't remember any scrapping going on between the different streets. We used to go down to roseburn and play footi at a bit they called the wreck back of riversdale somewhere. Used to go to the Tivoli picture hoose and throw peanuts at the manager who was a right old baldy git he used to lose the plot and chuck anybody out for laughing. I rememebr during bambi we all started cheering when the deer was shot and he chucked about six of us out. Aye the good old days. Derek O'Conner lived two stairs from me.

Do u remember the o Brian bros from wheatfield place or the knob ends from the banana flats bev cunnie Gary lynch

Right opposite the Roxy (Alexander Place ?) was Mr Sutherland the dentist, he was married to the sister of John Lennons (Beatle) mother. JL used to spend a lot of his young years (1950's) , in Edinburgh and I believe Mr Sutherland also had a cottage in the North.

Aye as a youth he was my dentist, freckin' sadist !

Cox's was gelatine not solvent glue works, just smell and nae buzz. I spent a good bit of my apprenticeship in the Bertrams iron foundry by the burn at Westfield also.

jt

Archived