Places to go to in scotland

Lt.Speirs

Lt.Speirs

Morning kickbackers,

I`m on holiday on the first 2 weeks in June, and due to the wife being pregnant we are not going anywhere, so we are going to take the wee one(3)

round about Scotland has anyone got any good ideas, somewhere there is nice walks and maybe animals. We have the obvious ones in the botanical gardens,zoo and beecraigs but we have 2 weeks to fill

any help will be great

Morning kickbackers,

I`m on holiday on the first 2 weeks in June, and due to the wife being pregnant we are not going anywhere, so we are going to take the wee one(3)

round about Scotland has anyone got any good ideas, somewhere there is nice walks and maybe animals. We have the obvious ones in the botanical gardens,zoo and beecraigs but we have 2 weeks to fill

any help will be great

Take a drive up to SKy m8 lovely views and there is 2 different roads so you will see both coasts.

John Findlay

Feed the ducks at Loch Lomond.

Birdworld at North Berwick. Trip round the Bass rock by boat is a must.

Tantallon Castle.

St Abbs Head and Eyemouth. That's just the South East Coast of Scotland.

John

deesidejambo

Go to Oban, take the ferry to Mull and the wee ferry to Iona. Get back to Oban for an evening **** up in the pub.

jambopompey

for a local walk, i would suggest even walking along the union canal, i done a few miles of it last night/ early evening, i am planning to do the Winchburgh to Ratho in the next few weeks, a nice pub lunch at Ratho and either walk back or get a bus back. even the water of Leith is a good walk where you can decide where to start/stop.

i would also recommend Creiff area, there is a nice walk in Comrie where you take in devil's cauldron, but also some really nice views along the way.

You will be amazed on how close some good walks are

Ray Winstone

Go to Elie!

Go sailing/ pedal boating / putting / tennis whatever.

The weather is always brilliant and its a nice friendly place.

i would also recommend Creiff area, there is a nice walk in Comrie where you take in devil's cauldron, but also some really nice views along the way.

You will be amazed on how close some good walks are

This will be good for one day (two at most)

Had a lot of experience of the area and there not really much to do except walks, you can go up to the Turret dam and walk right round the loch if I remember correctly (The Famous Grouse experience is on the way for a cheeky nip)

You tried Blair Drummond Safari Park mate

thats what I was going to say.

the zoo has the new ape enclosure now too, I fancy a look at that myself, always a good day out there.

Someone mentioned Skye it is lovely up there and won't take you too long in the car. Done it by train myself last time though. Missed the connection though and ended up having to get a taxi from Inverness to Edinburgh!

Oban is also nice. If you take the ferry to Mull thats where that balamory is filmed, wee one might reconise it. Both these places are a bit away though so depends how your wee one travels.

Auchingarrich wildlife centre always used to be quite good when I was a bit younger. Probably needs to be a nice day for it though.

http://www.auchingarrich.co.uk/index.html

Or else St Andrews for the beach. You get good ice cream there too!

Been there loads as a kid, was always a good day out and theres a play area as well I think.

Then theres Loch Earn, sure you can hire a boat there if you wanted

thats what I was going to say.

the zoo has the new ape enclosure now too, I fancy a look at that myself, always a good day out there.

Someone mentioned Skye it is lovely up there and won't take you too long in the car. Done it by train myself last time though. Missed the connection though and ended up having to get a taxi from Inverness to Edinburgh!

Oban is also nice. If you take the ferry to Mull thats where that balamory is filmed, wee one might reconise it. Both these places are a bit away though so depends how your wee one travels.

I've been to where balamory is filmed and to be honest there isn't all that much to see apart from some different coloured houses and loads of shops trying to flog Balamory stuff. Suppose it might be a bit more exciting for a young kid, but I'm not sure it would be exciting for very long.

Would definitely recommend going to Iona, although you would probably be best trying to stay somewhere overnight . I've done it in a day and its a lot of travelling. Beautiful island on a nice day though.

Skye is good to go as well, as already said, and the bridge is free so thats you a fiver (I think) better off, or two pints more to drink!!

MackaysCentreSpot
I've been to where balamory is filmed and to be honest there isn't all that much to see apart from some different coloured houses and loads of shops trying to flog Balamory stuff. Suppose it might be a bit more exciting for a young kid, but I'm not sure it would be exciting for very long.

Would definitely recommend going to Iona, although you would probably be best trying to stay somewhere overnight . I've done it in a day and its a lot of travelling. Beautiful island on a nice day though.

That will be Tobermory, on the Isle of Mull.

Aye i was there before the balamory thing. Its pretty. I wouldn't have suggested it but someone already mentioned Oban, Mull and the boat to Iona. So i only mentioned the kid might reconise it. While both Iona and Mull are pretty they aren't greatly exciting. Highlight is probably the boat trip.

I P Knightley

First thought when I saw that you have a 3-year-old in tow was to recommend Tobermory for the Balamory connection. It doesn't take much to thrill a 3-year-old and a boat trip & seeing Josie Jump's house would make you a hero for a while! You'd also get to take in some pretty special scenery.

When I last visited Embra with my (at the time) 3-yr-old folk on here recommended a fine list of things including the Dalkeith Country Park (which I never got to - shut in October), East Fortune for the air museum - the wee one loved it and there's plenty of outdoor runaround space, the zoo (obviously!), Deep Sea World and more. Of course, these are all day trips if you're Edinburgh based and you may want to get away for a bit.

Mind you, I think I was about 8 before having a holiday any further away than North Berwick and it hasn't affected me one little bit!

blondejamtart

In Midlothian, there's Dobbies Garden Centre and the Butterfly World right next door. Scottish Mining Museum at Newtongrange just a bit further down the road - Dalkeith Country Park (as someone else has mentioned) and Vogrie Country Park near Gorebridge. All nice days out and all have cafes/restaurants for when you need that wee break!

Aye i was there before the balamory thing. Its pretty. I wouldn't have suggested it but someone already mentioned Oban, Mull and the boat to Iona. So i only mentioned the kid might reconise it. While both Iona and Mull are pretty they aren't greatly exciting. Highlight is probably the boat trip.

Unless you get seasick of course :confused:

Although not overly exciting I would say there is plenty to do if the weather is nice, on Iona especially - nice walks, beaches, could even play some golf on their 'golf course'. Spent a couple of holidays there a few years ago and had a great time.

Another place might be Beecraigs Country Park. Its a deer farm and has plenty of space to run around etc. The one warning I will give is that its easy to get lost trying to drive home, or at least my grandad was driving round in circles for an hour before he managed to get out.

Lt.Speirs

thanks guys

plenty of good ideas sure i will find things to do now

just hope the weather is like today

Your kid might enjoy M&D's over in Glasgow aswell, nice short day trip for you all

Get down the beach at N Berwick. Great fish n chips , a paddling pool (when the tide is out !) and an award winning visitors centre. On a nice day it's good fun.

yvonnejambo

Come up to the highlands plenty of good walks, boat trips and wildlife.

As someone else mentioned St Andrews is always a good day out, or you could head along to Tayport, we've got Tentsmuir Forest and Kinshaldie Beachon our doorstep, my wee girl is 3 and a half and she loves running about there.

And as a bonus you might get the jet fighters flying about Leuchars, that's when I turn into as big a kid as my daughter with lots of oooo's and aaaaahhh's :P

Tom Heaney
Feed the ducks at Loch Lomond.

Birdworld at North Berwick. Trip round the Bass rock by boat is a must.

Tantallon Castle.

St Abbs Head and Eyemouth. That's just the South East Coast of Scotland.

John

John, I think my buddy who owns Duck Bay, Loch Lomond may have issue with your geography. Your'e no a signalman with Scotrail, Are you ?;)

You could head up the A9 to Newtonmore and visit the Highland Folk Museum.

Then drive up to the Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig.

The following day take in the Landmark Forest theme park at Carrbridge.

Finally go Dolphin spotting in the Moray Firth.

http://www.highlandfolk.museum/newtonmore.php

http://www.highlandwildlifepark.org/

http://www.landmark-centre.co.uk/

http://www.inverness-dolphin-cruises.co.uk/map.html

Era Macaroons

There is a good book my misses refers to

'Things to do in Edinburgh for under 5s' (and surrounding areas)

really usefull for suggestions on where to go

especially on what places are child friendly for meals etc and what times you are welcome.

cant wait till the boy does his sequeal....'places to get taken when your over 40';)

The Wicker Man

John Muir Centre down at West Barnes ( Dunbar ) - has a small animal enclosure and good for walks.

Yellow Craigs beach at Dirleton.

Deer farm near Cupar.

If it's raining Deep Sea World at North Queensferry.

The sad part is that it probably costs more to stay at home - than 2 weeks in Spain. :sad:

Chip Douglas

Make East Links Family Park, near Dunbar, one of your top priorities.

The wee one will love it there.

dodethejambo

Pitlochry,

A walk along the dam down past the theatre over the suspension bridge then up to the 'The Mill' for a pint of Magners (there is a play area with climbing frame for the wee one)

great wee walk when its sunny

Legend Claws
Go to Oban, take the ferry to Mull and the wee ferry to Iona. Get back to Oban for an evening **** up in the pub.

Took the words out of my mouth!

I spend a lot of time in Oban as my Mum's family are up there and it is a nice wee town. Def head to Mull etc too!

Make East Links Family Park, near Dunbar, one of your top priorities.

The wee one will love it there.

Got to agree, have been there a few times and I am going tomorrow as I work in a nursery and it's the first of our summer trips.

This has got to be the best place for under 5's ,every year they add something new .

No doubt about it you have to go

jambopompey
This will be good for one day (two at most)

Had a lot of experience of the area and there not really much to do except walks, you can go up to the Turret dam and walk right round the loch if I remember correctly (The Famous Grouse experience is on the way for a cheeky nip)

a friend of mines booked a log cabin there last september where i stayed for a long weekend, it in-between Creiff and Comrie, not sure of the correct name of it, it has a small loch in the grounds, with a good path all the way round. with some wild life to see as well as a small play park.

there is 2 ways to get to devil's cauldron, one is an easy route for small kids with you, there is also a nice walk along the river in Comrie as well as good priced pubs for a meal.

I am now realizing how much is on our doorstep.

You could go swimming with your kid, Time capsule and Perth Leisure Pool (I was there last month and the 10,000,000 th customer was going to get a car!!!) are both good pools for children (and older children as well)

Archived