Powerline Adaptors

dougal

I've recently been having a bit of problem getting my pc to connect to the internet. Some times the computer says there's no network to connect to, other times it says that there is a problem with the router. I've searched around and tried all sorts of things like updating the drivers for the wireless usb adaptor that I'm using. It really just seems to be intermittent and after a few hours off when switching the pc back on I have no problems connecting to the internet (like just now - couldn't get on at all yesterday except via my mobile phone).

Anyway after searching around I read about powerline adaptors and I'm hoping that this could be an answer to the problem, however I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone here might be able to help with. Firstly has anyone used them and are they any good? Secondly, my house has different trip switches for sockets downstairs and upstairs, with the router being downstairs and the pc being upstairs will I be able to use the adaptors or do they need to run on the same circuit.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I should maybe just add that I am technological imbecile so any help would need to be broken down to the lowest common denominator, please. Cheers.

mrmarkus1981

I use them. They are great.

Mine really were just plug and play. Not sure about your concerns about the 'trip switch' though?

I've recently been having a bit of problem getting my pc to connect to the internet. Some times the computer says there's no network to connect to, other times it says that there is a problem with the router. I've searched around and tried all sorts of things like updating the drivers for the wireless usb adaptor that I'm using. It really just seems to be intermittent and after a few hours off when switching the pc back on I have no problems connecting to the internet (like just now - couldn't get on at all yesterday except via my mobile phone).

Anyway after searching around I read about powerline adaptors and I'm hoping that this could be an answer to the problem, however I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone here might be able to help with. Firstly has anyone used them and are they any good? Secondly, my house has different trip switches for sockets downstairs and upstairs, with the router being downstairs and the pc being upstairs will I be able to use the adaptors or do they need to run on the same circuit.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I should maybe just add that I am technological imbecile so any help would need to be broken down to the lowest common denominator, please. Cheers.

All the circuits are connected together in the consumer unit so it should work fine.

Archived