Victor Wanyama

Niko

Signs for Southampton for ?12.5m.

Unbelievable, even though he is an absolutely fantastic player.

Celtic signed him for ?900k.

I thought Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, Barcelona, R Madrid, both Milan Clubs and PSG all wanted him he is so utterly, fantastically, brilliant.

Southampton eh? Surely not the compliant Scottish media over-hyping a RanTic player?

Mind you, judging by how they misused Rudi, they'll probably have him at right back.

:)

oh ah grantona

Never seen enough to rate him at 12.5m great business by celtic tho. They have to bite the hand off at that kind of money you wont get more

Crazy money! If he played for any other SPL team, he'd be worth a fraction of what Southampton have paid. Good player, though, he'll do well down there.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Never worth that money and im glad he has gone. Always played pretty well against us.

Apart from giving away two penalties!

Generic Username

I thought Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, Barcelona, R Madrid, both Milan Clubs and PSG all wanted him he is so utterly, fantastically, brilliant.

Southampton eh? Surely not the compliant Scottish media over-hyping a RanTic player?

Mind you, judging by how they misused Rudi, they'll probably have him at right back.

I think it'll be a nap he's got a clause built into the contract that any bid from a "bigger" club is accepted. He'll have gone there to show he can hack it at that level then earn a move to a top club later on. Still a young laddie and he's got everything it takes to succeed.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

Great business by Celtic, is he worth 12.5 million though?

of course he is,only because it was celtic, put him in in other spl team with the same performances and he"d be valued at a million if he was lucky

heartmussel

I believe its a package,this takes his wages into the total deal Craig Burley recently said the SPL was a pub

league so how can anyone justify a fee like this. Will be interesting to see how he performs down South granted he is an outstanding player.

Never worth that, great business by Celtic ...that would buy hearts twice over....

They are in the fortunate position that they play in a league structure designed entirely to make them money. They can therefore pay ?800k on a young player in the first place. If they do it often enough and with any degree of skill, they will get lucky eventually, making them even more money.

Remind me why I buy a season ticket for a Scottish club which isn't Celtic again?

jamboinglasgow

Its what agents do, they link their player with much bigger clubs knowing these club will always look at them but not sign and so another club who are not as big but with a lot of money come in. Like when Neil Lennon said Wanyama was worth over ?20m, he is not an idiot, he knows Wanyama was no where near worth that much, but they put a mental valuation out to scare away potential buyers if he wants the player to stay or for another club to come in with a big bid that is not near that but is serious.

Tommy Wiseau

Ridiculous money for a good player. Standard premiership signing, then.

Signs for Southampton for ?12.5m.

Unbelievable, even though he is an absolutely fantastic player.

Celtic signed him for ?900k.

You have got to be joking.

Vastly over rated player......living off one headed goal against Barcelona.

Notice none of the big boys went in for him once they had checked out fact from fiction.

Well done to Celtic though............its good to know there are still idiots out there willing to pay over inflated fees.

PS 20% goes to the former club

Its what agents do, they link their player with much bigger clubs knowing these club will always look at them but not sign and so another club who are not as big but with a lot of money come in. Like when Neil Lennon said Wanyama was worth over ?20m, he is not an idiot, he knows Wanyama was no where near worth that much, but they put a mental valuation out to scare away potential buyers if he wants the player to stay or for another club to come in with a big bid that is not near that but is serious.

Mate, my post was far from serious!

jamboinglasgow

Mate, my post was far from serious!

Was not really aimed at you, just you mentioned the other clubs so latched onto it to make a general point, sorry. Basically amazed by people who seem to think its crazy he hasn't gone to clubs like Arsenal.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Fair play Celtic. That's a great piece of business; Wanyama's worth nowhere near ?12.5m.

Was not really aimed at you, just you mentioned the other clubs so latched onto it to make a general point, sorry. Basically amazed by people who seem to think its crazy he hasn't gone to clubs like Arsenal.

No worries!

I reckon he's been pushed out. It's taken a while to settle this - think Wanyama fancied a bigger club but Celtic wanted the cash so probably sweetened the deal so he'd go now. Would have made just as much sense from his point of view to see out his contract and get a bigger deal for himself next year. Still, the Tims will have made a tidy profit.

rossthejambo

Good player, doubt he'll be staying there for long tbh.

Good to see Celtic weakening.

He played a major part in getting an average side into the last 16 of the champions league. That alone is why he is worth the money paid.

When gordon was sold, most his value would of been based on his international performances rather than his spl outings. European and international success boosts a players value ten fold.

rudi must stay

Decent player, but there are times in games when he gets out of position and gets confused. That never hurt Celtic, but it could hurt Southampton

Will always be remembered for his basketball skills in the Semi-Final.

Thanks big man :thumbsup:

He played a major part in getting an average side into the last 16 of the champions league. That alone is why he is worth the money paid.

When gordon was sold, most his value would of been based on his international performances rather than his spl outings. European and international success boosts a players value ten fold.

Then scouts are idiots.

Most of Gordons best saves came in a Hearts jersey.

alwaysthereinspirit

Great business by Celtic, is he worth 12.5 million though?

He was today and thats all that matters to Celtic. A team we are 15 points behind pre-season start up.

More big signings to come for them. They'll walk the league again.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Wanyama is a seriously good player who dominated the midfield in just about every SPL match I seen him play in, and was excellent in Europe.

Has all the tools to do well in the Premiership. Would not surprise me if he gets a bigger club quickly.

Ridiculous money for a good player. Standard premiership signing, then.

This. Far worse players than him have been bought by Premiership clubs for more money.

Then scouts are idiots.

Most of Gordons best saves came in a Hearts jersey.

I agree. But if a player doesn't perform on the perceived bigger stage big bucks are not paid.

Celtic have done well with that one but ridiculous price for Southampton to pay.

Said it before and I'll say it again. No player in the SPL is worth more than ?5 million.

Remind me why I buy a season ticket for a Scottish club which isn't Celtic again?

How long have you got...? :)

Kirky Jambo

I think if he was a couple of years older Celtic would only be getting half that amount. He's undoubtedly a decent player but the price will reflect the fact he is only 22 and may develop into a 25million player in a couple of years. I wonder if celtic have a sell-on clause?

Cardiac Rucksack

Prob about 5million with 7.5 in add ons etc. the price looks good for both clubs.

Fair play Celtic. That's a great piece of business; Wanyama's worth nowhere near ?12.5m.

Whilst I agree with you the saying goes that something (in this case someone) is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

In this case VW is worth ?12,500,000 of your English pounds

Mental

The gulf between clubs in the spl for attracting players and what they get sold for is sickening.

The Treasurer

Never worth that, great business by Celtic ...that would buy hearts twice over....

Are you suggesting a possible late bid. We are all Neil Lennon after all !!!!!!

Liewell quoted they paid 2m for defender Van Dijk from Holland. Confirmed source Dutch FA said 5m. Its the celtic way

jamboinglasgow

Celtic may have some fun with Wanyamas former clubs demanding money in a cut of the fee.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/victor-wanyama-five-clubs-fight-for-share-of-sale-1-3001187?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Thought the chairman of Nairobi All Stars had a bit of cheek about him, as far as I can see Wanyama was at the club for less than a year at the age of 15 and now they want between 5-10% of the transfer fee saying they were crucial to his development.

Celtic may have some fun with Wanyamas former clubs demanding money in a cut of the fee.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/victor-wanyama-five-clubs-fight-for-share-of-sale-1-3001187?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Thought the chairman of Nairobi All Stars had a bit of cheek about him, as far as I can see Wanyama was at the club for less than a year at the age of 15 and now they want between 5-10% of the transfer fee saying they were crucial to his development.

That was some great negotiating by the Belguim club(not) 1% of profit.

Archived