Ubuntu

N User

I've just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a dual boot with windows 8.

Anybody else got it and any hints/tips?

Delete the Windows 8 partition, and never touch it ever again. That is my only tip :thumbsup:

Delete the Windows 8 partition, and never touch it ever again. That is my only tip :thumbsup:

If Ubuntu was useful enough for that then I would.

Too many games on my PC and MS office is still the daddy..

JamboInSouthsea

Firstly you are about a year out, Ubuntu is now at 13.04 so you're 2 upgrades out. To get this you have to upgrade via 12.10 then 13.04 or just simply re-install with latest version.

If you want to totally get rid of Windows you can still run the a lot of applications with this... http://www.winehq.org/ tho' there are others that will do the same thing. Have heard that some games/applications will actually run faster than just through Windows alone but don't quote me on that.

LibreOffice / OpenOffice will do much the same as MS Office and you can open/create/save files into MS formats...no need for above link to use this.

Been using Ubuntu for years now so any questions just ask.

I thought this was a thread about a new version of my favourite drink Um Bungo that had been launched and I got excited.

:(

Instead I now feel depressed as its not about Um Bungo and I have no idea what any of you are talking about. :(

Firstly you are about a year out, Ubuntu is now at 13.04 so you're 2 upgrades out. To get this you have to upgrade via 12.10 then 13.04 or just simply re-install with latest version.

If you want to totally get rid of Windows you can still run the a lot of applications with this... http://www.winehq.org/ tho' there are others that will do the same thing. Have heard that some games/applications will actually run faster than just through Windows alone but don't quote me on that.

LibreOffice / OpenOffice will do much the same as MS Office and you can open/create/save files into MS formats...no need for above link to use this.

Been using Ubuntu for years now so any questions just ask.

When I went on Ubuntu website, it said that 12.04 was the current supported version and that 13.04 wouldn't be supported after 9 months, so I just went with 12.04

I've got open office, ms office 03, ms office 13 and now libre office and tbh, office 03 and 13 are the better imo so i've be sticking with them for now.

Right now, i'm just using it as a "playtoy", but I really like it and would love any excuse to use it permanently.

It's very much got a feel of the best things from iOS, android and windows.

Any good software repositories would be welcome

I thought this was a thread about a new version of my favourite drink Um Bungo that had been launched and I got excited.

Instead I now feel depressed as its not about Um Bungo and I have no idea what any of you are talking about. :(

I'm with Floyd, not got a scoobie what this is all about, yet I consider myself semi-literate in IT. TBH I thought the thread was about a city in sub-Saharan Africa....

Is Ubuntu better than Windows 7?

Entirely depends on what you're using it for.

I use Ubuntu for doing any coding or programming, as you can compile code directly without needing any software. It's a nightmare for compatibility for programs, although it has been getting better. You used to have to "emulate" a Windows environment using Wine in order to get anything to run, but a lot of things have a Linux equivalent.

It also uses less system resources. If all you're doing on the PC is browsing the internet and typing documents, Ubuntu (Or Linux Mint :jjyay: ) is just as good as Windows. If you want to do anything like play games, you're stuck with Windows for now.

JamboInSouthsea

Is Ubuntu better than Windows 7?

In my opinion it is. Been on a course recently and had to use Windows 7 and have been finding it very annoying to use in general in comparison.

JamboInSouthsea

I use Ubuntu for doing any coding or programming, as you can compile code directly without needing any software. It's a nightmare for compatibility for programs, although it has been getting better. You used to have to "emulate" a Windows environment using Wine in order to get anything to run, but a lot of things have a Linux equivalent.

It also uses less system resources. If all you're doing on the PC is browsing the internet and typing documents, Ubuntu (Or Linux Mint :jjyay: ) is just as good as Windows. If you want to do anything like play games, you're stuck with Windows for now.

This I have read on BBC could change fairly soon as a new console, can't remember who is making it, are going to be using a linux variation to power their machine. From what I remember they are a pretty decent sized company who already write games for other machines.

I'm with Floyd, not got a scoobie what this is all about, yet I consider myself semi-literate in IT. TBH I thought the thread was about a city in sub-Saharan Africa....

Don't worry chaps it's not that complex or out there. Ubuntu is a variant of Linux (an operating system developed from a mainframe operating system called Unix). It is a friendlier version as it runs in a windowed/desktop environment (which means you spend less time battering obscure text commands into the terminal) which is not a massive jump for anyone who has used mac os or Windows. It's also free and can be run direct from an image burned to CD without installing, if you want to have a play with it.

You've probably used linux without knowing it - it runs the majority of the servers on the internet and is also the kernel on which android devices run (I think iOS runs on a Unix kernel).

It's not a total loss for gaming now that Steam has been released for linux (it will run on Ubuntu). I also think the steambox console Valve are planning will also run linux, they think Windows 8 is a disaster!

Steam have come out in support of Linux so ubuntu can only get better for gaming.

I'm playing Team Fortress 2 right now on it.

PS... if you don't have TF2 then .... for shame

In my opinion it is. Been on a course recently and had to use Windows 7 and have been finding it very annoying to use in general in comparison.

What? Windows 7 is piss easy to use.

I got Vista as soon as it came out, and didn't mind it. It was a big change from XP, but not too difficult to grasp (i.e. took like 5 minutes). I never had a problem with Vista, and when Windows 7 came out I jumped straight on it too. It was supposed to be like Vista but better, so how could it be bad? P.S - People that moan about Vista are people that read about problems and decided it was bad stuff and evil, and I can guarantee 99% of them never had an actual issue with it, it was just stuff they read about. I still use Vista on a laptop and it's still fine. Windows 7 is so simple, how could you possibly find it annoying to use in general?

Also - Windows XP is dull and old, Windows 7 is (relatively) new and shiny.

Let's not talk about 8 though... :vrface:

I actually like Win 8.

The boot up times are fantastic.

Searching is great and metro is actually quite nice.

The whole corners thing takes some getting used to and isn't great but it's not as bad as vista was (Vista was ok, but just wanted too much attention).

I find Windows 8 pretty stable. I go straight to the desktop though and have installed a start menu replacement. Vista was a pain in the butt.

Cheers dude. I'm pretty competent on Windows, but no expert. I don't do any programming or delve too deeply without good cause and a step-by-step guide, just mostly downloading, surfing and the odd game.

The reason I ask is I'm getting a bit sick of 7. It just seems clunky and unresponsive to me. My laptop is fine and I've got loads of free space etc, so it isn't that, but I'd best stick with it on the advice you've given.

Tried 8 btw and was in a rage after about 45 seconds. Hated it.

JamboInSouthsea

Your average linux user

hippy.gif

I'm definitely not average then what with being a bald git.

Cheers Lionel...tis Steam that I was trying to remember who'll be making games.

I'm definitely not average then what with being a bald git.

Cheers Lionel...tis Steam that I was trying to remember who'll be making games.

Yeah, Valve really do not like WIndows 8.

The Steambox looks awesome but I suspect it's going to cost...

This is the Piston version, based on the same tiny chassis:

94%7C000025e82%7C4884_orh616w616_Steam-Box.jpg

/drools

Archived