Tramps with smartphones

Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

Im all seriousness, am I missing something? 3 beggars on the street I have seen in the last day or so, either texting or talking on a decent phone... Then they ask for change?!

Is this some kind of joke I'm not in on :lol:

Alan Johnson

Hopefully they're arranging a covert attack on that silver painted **** on the box on Princes Street.

I P Knightley

I saw a tramp with a smartphone tucked into her bra strap. Cwooaaar, I wish I was an iPhone.

Tommy Wiseau

I'm honestly turning more and more right wing the further up the bridges I go :lol:

Karl Marx at Leith Street, Oswald Mosely at Sputh Clerk Street :lol:

Fecking talking on an iPhone as he arranges his 2p pieces on his rug, that last one :lol:

The People's Chimp

The organised gangs (poor *******s get forced to sit in the street with no shoes on all day etc) of (probably) Romanian beggars in Glasgow are at it too. I've seen a few turf wars between them and the local begging population. Probably organised their scrap on smartphones over twitter.

Neilson's Shank

Big Issue sellers are the worst, mostly Roma gypsies from eastern europe, what happened to our Scottish sellers. I am led to believe if they do 24 hours a week on Big Issue selling that they qualify for Working Tax Credit :army:

hughesie27

These phones have probably been stolen or found originally and will have passed through numerous owners, being unlocked had about 5 different sim card in them. The further down the line they get the cheaper and more desperate a price it costs to buy one.

Either that or the beggars have a direct debit set up each month and pay off their contract like everybody else. Doubt it though.

hughesie27

Big Issue sellers are the worst, mostly Roma gypsies from eastern europe, what happened to our Scottish sellers. I am led to believe if they do 24 hours a week on Big Issue selling that they qualify for Working Tax Credit :army:

:lol:

Franklin Delano Bluth

Gypsies stealing jobs from guid, hoanest Scottish laddies homeless people.

Tommy Wiseau

These phones have probably been stolen or found originally and will have passed through numerous owners, being unlocked had about 5 different sim card in them. The further down the line they get the cheaper and more desperate a price it costs to buy one.

Either that or the beggars have a direct debit set up each month and pay off their contract like everybody else. Doubt it though.

I do realise they're not on a 2 year contract from the Carphone Warehouse, Hughesie :lol: Still costs to make a text though.

My point is more re: the brass neck of sitting with the phone out and asking passers-by for their change so they can meet their basic needs :wiggo:

hughesie27

I do realise they're not on a 2 year contract from the Carphone Warehouse, Hughesie :lol: Still costs to make a text though.

My point is more re: the brass neck of sitting with the phone out and asking passers-by for their change so they can meet their basic needs :wiggo:

I'd argue that a mobile phone these days is a basic need.

Especially when your homeless and need to organised nights out or check your Facebook.

Tommy Wiseau

Would you indeed :lol:

Let's hear the argument then :lol:

I would agree with this statement, and feel that smartphones with mobile Internet can give homeless people to information they need. Such things as online medical help, help with any issues and addictions they have, and a way for the social services to keep in touch with them.

However, I sometimes wonder how homeless people, and young children can afford items like iPhones when I have one and struggle with the cost of it.

hughesie27

Would you indeed :lol:

Let's hear the argument then :lol:

Can be the one link with the outside world that they have. And I appreciate how daft that sounds. I don't have the time to go into detail right now but for a homeless person a phone can be used as a tool to remain organised and to contact people in times of need. Any help they do get from organisations they might stumble upon will most likely be wanting to give them a number to call. Sitting up town in the middle of Princes Street everyday can be a pretty lonely place.

Perhaps they use them to stay in contact with other member of the homeless community and it can be considered as a safety device, much like it is for 5 year old children. Like I said though these homeless folk probably only have these things for a month or so at most before it gets mugged off them or they have to try and flog it on to raise some cash.

Why a smartphone and not a ?10 piece of crap from Tesco? Probably leads back to the stolen/lost thing again. The number of smartphones far out number the amount of Nokia 3310's in the world so they are easier to come by.

You guys bash on though.

A sort of Nae Neighbourhood watch?

:lol:

This thread has cheered me up today!

peter_hmfc

Especially when your homeless and need to organised nights out or check your Facebook.

:lol: :lol:

How do they charge their phones up?

A lot of beggars aren't actually homeless.

Tommy Wiseau

Ex-****ing-actly :lol:

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

I saw one outside BHS on Saturday wearing a brand new looking G-Star jacket :lol:

They always seem to have flash trainers on as well.

hughesie27

Probably go to a friend of a friends or use a kind samaritans shop.

The People's Chimp

As with any of these issues, difficult to discuss without veering into rabid rightwing territory on account of the actions of the errant chancers who take advantage of the kindness or charity of strangers.

There is a Roma boy in Glasgow city centre who sits there all day with no shoes on, looking a picture of abject poverty and misery. Come 6pm he gets rounded up and given his shoes back by the gangmaster. The thing is, he's probably also selling the big issue, getting working tax credit and housing benefit, but he'll be seeing SFA as the profit is creamed off to the gang that is running him, and all the other poor *******s across the city. Easy to blame the cowering wee guy with no shoes, but there are bigger chancers out there.

peter_hmfc

Can be the one link with the outside world that they have. And I appreciate how daft that sounds.

You mean apart from living outside all the time :huh: ?

Matthew Le Tissier

Remember about 10 years ago giving some money to a beggar. Who certainly portrayed being homeless on his little card.

Anyway on way home on train I see the beggar with a holiday brochure on the phone booking a holiday.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sterling Archer

Tramp on byres road does his shopping at M&S food

:muggy:

Chaka Demus & pliers

I know for a fact that the guy who used to sit on the corner at shandwick place (maybe still does) has a council house and used to spend all the money he made begging on hash.

Granted not all beggars are like that but you really don't know who you're giving money to and what it will be used for.

Serj Tankian

How's long has the big issue seller been selling outside sainsburys on rose street doing it . I thought it was for a short term till they got a foot in a door then on there own accord .

Craig Gordons Gloves

Remember that the term "homeless" doesn't just encompass those that actually sleep on the streets, you also have those that are in emergency accomodation, or hostels or even council paid B&B, they may even be just kipping on the floor at a friends etc- most of which you have to be out of during the day. I'm not advocating that all those that beg on the streets should be equipped with smartphones btw, In the same way that not all beggars are actually beggars, not all those begging are scam artists too.

All that being said - i disagree with the statement that a mobile phone is a basic need. I've worked in the phone industry and consumer electronics industry for 15 years and there is nothing that we sell (aside from water at the checkout lanes) that is a basic need. They're differing degrees of 'luxury' items. Back in the 90s a phone was a high end luxury and only around 4m people in the UK had one. Then came pay as you go and every man and their dug had one - the level of 'luxury' dropped as they became more affordable and accessible. Same thing with TV's, computers, washing machines etc down the decades. Those of a younger generation are unaware of a world without mobile phones. In the same way that those of us in our 30s were mainly unaware of a world without color tv.

A Big Issue seller in Bath recognised my Hearts top, earlier this year. He was telling me that on a visit to Edinburgh 13 years ago, he got taken to ER and was subsequently chase up Easter Road after their roaster element heard his English accent. Decent bloke too, and I did buy a copy off him. The problem down here is that a lot of them use the money they earn on scag and/or crack.

GlasgoJambo

Tramp on byres road does his shopping at M&S food

That's the West End for you. Southside beggars shop in Farmies as a mark of respect to their benefactors.

GlasgoJambo

Incidentally, anyone else think this thread was going to be Tommy going off on one about Hibs fans and their mobiles?

Incidentally, anyone else think this thread was going to be Tommy going off on one about Hibs fans and their mobiles?

Hibs fans can't use phones.

I actually forgot about this thread. Seems Tommy has realised the use for phones amongst the beggars is actually quite real, which is great.

There seems to be an organised group of big issue sellers on Rose Street, they have phones, but their master plan seems to be to sell a few copies then jump into the Ladbrokes for a bet on the gee gee's...........genius !!

A good pitch would net you minimum ?10 an hour. More than a lot of people earn. For most it would be a good career move to have a badly written sign in the right location. I had the pleasure to witness a (reluctant to say homeless) beggars dispute over a pitch while waiting for a friend to get out his scratcher and answer his door on Lothian Road. It involved time slots and who should be sitting in the lucrative Lothian Road pitch for the next 2 hours. Get nowt off me now.

Adi Dassler

Can be the one link with the outside world that they have. And I appreciate how daft that sounds. I don't have the time to go into detail right now but for a homeless person a phone can be used as a tool to remain organised and to contact people in times of need. Any help they do get from organisations they might stumble upon will most likely be wanting to give them a number to call. Sitting up town in the middle of Princes Street everyday can be a pretty lonely place.

Perhaps they use them to stay in contact with other member of the homeless community and it can be considered as a safety device, much like it is for 5 year old children. Like I said though these homeless folk probably only have these things for a month or so at most before it gets mugged off them or they have to try and flog it on to raise some cash.

Why a smartphone and not a ?10 piece of crap from Tesco? Probably leads back to the stolen/lost thing again. The number of smartphones far out number the amount of Nokia 3310's in the world so they are easier to come by.

You guys bash on though.

You've been at Uni too long Zeke.

I pine for the days when a dossers money was spent on drink and drugs.

Tommy Wiseau

Hibs fans can't use phones.

I actually forgot about this thread. Seems Tommy has realised the use for phones amongst the beggars is actually quite real, which is great.

You talk some amount of pish, Hughesie :lol:

The "master troll" at work :cornette:

You talk some amount of pish, Hughesie :lol:

The "master troll" at work :cornette:

Constructive debate this.

Clamped.

Tommy Wiseau

Constructive debate this.

Clamped.

Aye, I'm clamped, Hughesie. A smartphone is a basic need, you cannot survive without one :lol:

Franklin Delano Bluth

Basic Human Needs:

1. Smartphone.

2. Water.

3. Food.

Educated at one of the best universities in the world, doing the course they are best at.

:cornette:

Aye, I'm clamped, Hughesie. A smartphone is a basic need, you cannot survive without one :lol:

Not specifically a smartphone. Just any old thing will do.

I also wouldn't narrow it down as a universal human need and never have. In terms of a homeless person though it would be pretty high on the list which is all I've ever said.

Lets not look at what has actually been said though, eh?

You guys bash on.

A smartphone feels better in your hand than a burger when you're starving.

Hughesie.

:facepalm:

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is being ammended as we speak to include an article on smartphones.

A smartphone feels better in your hand than a burger when you're starving.

Hughesie.

:facepalm:

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is being ammended as we speak to include an article on smartphones.

2/10

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What's the difference between a universal basic need and a basic need.

Honestly what a pile of shite. Charge their iphone in a friend of friends or a wee shop. Phone their pals to let them know they are safe. :rofl:

What's the difference between a universal basic need and a basic need.

Honestly what a pile of shite. Charge their iphone in a friend of friends or a wee shop. Phone their pals to let them know they are safe. :rofl:

Is that a Kickback Bingo?

Those 3 months working for a homlessness charity have clearly been a waste of time for me. :sob:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is that a Kickback Bingo?

Those 3 months working for a homlessness charity have clearly been a waste of time for me. :sob:

So you'll know one of, if not THE, main cause for homelessness in Edinburgh is young males who have had family fall outs and have nowhere else to turn.

You seriously think these guys are sitting on their iPhone geeing their other homeless pal a wee bell and then charging their phones at a 'friend of a friends'?

Come on now Hughesie. You have maybe seen one or two cases of this and tried to be smart in this thread but everyone is in agreement you are talking mince.

So you'll know one of, if not THE, main cause for homelessness in Edinburgh is young males who have had family fall outs and have nowhere else to turn.

You seriously think these guys are sitting on their iPhone geeing their other homeless pal a wee bell and then charging their phones at a 'friend of a friends'?

Come on now Hughesie. You have maybe seen one or two cases of this and tried to be smart in this thread but everyone is in agreement you are talking mince.

Those specific examples are just a few of the things I witnessed around mobiles phones. I am not trying to be smart, I am telling it how it was when I saw it. I'm telling you what I heard by speaking to these folk. You talk about the situation as if it is as balck and white as making sure that their firs tpriority is to make sure they get their phone charged. Ridiculous. I am not going to start discussing individual folk I have worked with but one guy was literally desperate to try and get in contact with folk and what use our meetings as a means of contacting friends ect to make essential plans for the following days.

You are spot on regarding the large cause for homelessness amongst young people in general often in tandem with the more predictable "symptoms". Not necessarily just boys either.

If folk want to jump on a trolling bandwagon, like your last post, then that is fair enough. I like to deal in facts and experience.

No cyber high 5's with that though :sob:

Pretty much said as much as I intend to on this. Troll on.

Archived