Vodafone 3G signal

jack D and coke

jack D and coke

I'm on Vodafone with an iPhone 5 and lately the 3G signal is pure pish. Not in any particular area just pretty much all over edinburgh. Even when I've got full bars it takes forever to update stuff and is just super slow. Anybody else noticed this or is my phone mibbe shagged?

PortyJambo

I'm on Vodafone with an iPhone 4 and the signal always been pretty pish tbh, often has times when it almost grinds to a halt when browsing the internet. Contract finishes in August and I'm heading to another provider asap.

jack D and coke

It's just lately for me, the last month or so but it used to quick. For some reason right now it's f***** awful to the point i cant be arsed using it.

I wondered if something was up with my phone but seems not then. Mibbe need to give them a call.

EE are terrible too. The problem is that the masts are oversubscribed around Edinburgh.

I'm sure Orange has just one mast for the whole of EH11 for instance.

The Great Khali

I changed to Vodafone 3 weeks ago and places I had full bars before (O2) now get either no service or if I'm lucky, one bar.

same here i cant remebmer the last time my s3 had 3g its usually g,and yes i have checked my internet settings.

jack D and coke
EE are terrible too. The problem is that the masts are oversubscribed around Edinburgh.

I'm sure Orange has just one mast for the whole of EH11 for instance.

I left Orange/EE for that reason mate they were shite as well. I was delighted with Vodafone until the last few weeks, good coverage but the 3G is gash the now. I'm glad it's not the phone that's playing up now ill be phoning them tomorrow.

I paid off the last five months of my Vodafone contract yesterday for a multitude of reasons : terrible coverage (I frequently could not get any meaningful data service on Princes St despite it showing full bars and H+), pitiful data allowance and my upgrade options being expensive compared to other networks, especially Three.

Got myself an HTC One on Three last night and have been getting great, fast service in all the places I was struggling to with Vodafone. It's also ?5 a month less than I was paying and unlimited data too so all in all a good move!

jack D and coke
I paid off the last five months of my Vodafone contract yesterday for a multitude of reasons : terrible coverage (I frequently could not get any meaningful data service on Princes St despite it showing full bars and H+), pitiful data allowance and my upgrade options being expensive compared to other networks, especially Three.

Got myself an HTC One on Three last night and have been getting great, fast service in all the places I was struggling to with Vodafone. It's also ?5 a month less than I was paying and unlimited data too so all in all a good move!

I was with 3 a couple of years ago and always thought they got a bad rap. I never really had any problems with them tbh. Vodafone right now are shite though and I'm not impressed with their upgrade options either as I've been trying to sort my daughter out with a new phone. Pretty expensive considering the problems I'm experiencing the now.

gashauskis9

Got an iPhone 5 on 3 and can't get a signal in the house. I reckon it's a fault with the phone.

Stewie Griffin

I was with 3 a couple of years ago and always thought they got a bad rap. I never really had any problems with them tbh. Vodafone right now are shite though and I'm not impressed with their upgrade options either as I've been trying to sort my daughter out with a new phone. Pretty expensive considering the problems I'm experiencing the now.

You don't have to upgrade direct with Vodafone you can go through car phone warehouse for example that's what I did . Go onto their website and there is a bit to do upgrades you just select the phone/plan you want and they take care of it for you

Jambos1983

Same problem with me. So slow or none at all even in the city centre. Not good enough

The Gasman

I'm on Vodafone with an iPhone 5 and lately the 3G signal is pure pish. Not in any particular area just pretty much all over edinburgh. Even when I've got full bars it takes forever to update stuff and is just super slow. Anybody else noticed this or is my phone mibbe shagged?

I'm on O2 for my phone, and have a 3 dongle for the laptop and both were always fine - the last couple of weeks the 3G signal just keeps dropping out. I'm sure I read that there was some change in mobile phone services happening in Edinburgh a few weeks back, as there were concerns about it affecting Freeview, and I'm wondering if the 3G issues were caused by this..? :unsure:

I've got another 15 months with these useless pricks. The service in town is terrible. I have a staff discount with my work for the contract with them and wish I'd never bothered. Pure Michael Fish.

Got an iPhone 5 on 3 and can't get a signal in the house. I reckon it's a fault with the phone.

It's quite common for some networks not to get a signal in older buildings. My old flat O2 had no problems at all but Orange and others went blank. It's not the handset at fault here.

Jed The Jedi

Boy that sits next to me at work is pulling his hair out with the speed he's getting. Both of us using S4's, both getting 3-5 bars on H+ I'm on 3 and getting abot 12 to 15 Mb he's getting just over 2.

:verysmug:

CloustonHMFC

Im on o2 with an S4 and I consistently get roughly 11 mbps depending on the area im in! Had a iphone 4s on vodafone before hand though, consistent speeds of around 3-4mbps as well as vodafone trying to tell me I used 11gb of Internet per month, which was complete bull, around 65% of the time I was connected to wifi (and 2gb on o2 does me comfortably....) all in all vodafone are a horrible company

Are there actually any phone companies that aren't complete crooks? I've had problems with 3, Orange and now Vodafone all about different things. O2 have been the best I've had, but that was when I was using an old Nokia brick, unltd calls/texts, ?12 a month - I would've struggled to find a problem with that.

They just seem to be able to get away with shafting folk.

Vodafone are in the process of upgrading their masts for theor 4G service.

That seems to be a general problem with 3 mate. When I step out the house, my work or any building, I can have a great 3G signal. Once I go inside, I struggle for a decent signal. It's like this on my iPhone and was the same with my Nokia.

Heard others say the same thing.

Ah well, only 2 more months of 3 and then I'm free.

Jed The Jedi

Also, if you have a phone with 3, you're a mug.

Bad relationship in the past mate?

scottish_chicP

I'm on the Galaxy s4 and I have noticed in the last few weeks my 3g is shit :(

The Old Tolbooth

Vodafone are in the process of upgrading their masts for theor 4G service.

I'm saddled with the Iphone 4s for another 10 months or so mate, it's showing full signal and 3G, however it's awful (Vodafone too), once they upgrade to 4G, will these phones automatically take the upgrade or are they not compatible?

CloustonHMFC

I'm saddled with the Iphone 4s for another 10 months or so mate, it's showing full signal and 3G, however it's awful (Vodafone too), once they upgrade to 4G, will these phones automatically take the upgrade or are they not compatible?

The 4S isn't 4g compatible mate, only really any smartphone released after the iPhone 5 is compatible, and for anyone with a compatible device you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be a fee paying for 4g

Ive been having exactly the same problem on Vodafone for about a month now, used to be fine and now completely useless anywhere near the city center.

Going to change provider, not bothered about a new phone just going with a sim only contract and thinking about Virgin as being an existing customer they offer unlimited mins unlimited texts and unlimited data for ?15/month!! They say that their service shares the O2 network if no signal on theirs, anyone got experience of Virgin mobile ?

Bad relationship in the past mate?

Working in the business, you get to know how networks think of their customers.

3 are utterly contemptable.

As an aside, if you're thinking of getting 4G, go with EE.

They'll have nationwide 4G at least two years before anyone else.

My Vodafone 3G signal is fine through here in sunny Hamilton. No problems in Glasgow city centre either, mostly ok in the office as well, despite the building being one of the oldest traditional sandstone numbers around.

The Old Tolbooth

The 4S isn't 4g compatible mate, only really any smartphone released after the iPhone 5 is compatible, and for anyone with a compatible device you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be a fee paying for 4g

Thanks for that mate, guess I'm stuck for 10 months then :(

My Vodafone 3G signal is fine through here in sunny Hamilton. No problems in Glasgow city centre either, mostly ok in the office as well, despite the building being one of the oldest traditional sandstone numbers around.

I've always struggled in Glasgow city centre for 3G through Vodafone mate, it's not bad in Hamilton though as I'm on a 12 week training course through there and staying at the Holiday Inn at East Kilbride (not so great signal there)

PortyJambo

Ive been having exactly the same problem on Vodafone for about a month now, used to be fine and now completely useless anywhere near the city center.

Going to change provider, not bothered about a new phone just going with a sim only contract and thinking about Virgin as being an existing customer they offer unlimited mins unlimited texts and unlimited data for ?15/month!! They say that their service shares the O2 network if no signal on theirs, anyone got experience of Virgin mobile ?

My wife's with Virgin Mobile, and has a far superior service than I do with Vodafone, she never complains about loss of signal and always seems to get a signal in the places I can't. I'm changing to them when my Vodafone contract ends next month, and yes, their deals are pretty good, especially if you're already a Virgin Media customer.

Thanks for that mate, guess I'm stuck for 10 months then :(

I've always struggled in Glasgow city centre for 3G through Vodafone mate, it's not bad in Hamilton though as I'm on a 12 week training course through there and staying at the Holiday Inn at East Kilbride (not so great signal there)

A 12 week stay in the Holiday Inn??

You doing an Alan Partridge on us?? :lol:

My wife's with Virgin Mobile, and has a far superior service than I do with Vodafone, she never complains about loss of signal and always seems to get a signal in the places I can't. I'm changing to them when my Vodafone contract ends next month, and yes, their deals are pretty good, especially if you're already a Virgin Media customer.

Thanks for that :thumb:

jack D and coke

Where do you stand on breaking your contract on this? If they're not capable of providing the service your paying for surely there's grounds for getting out of your contract? I'm not suffering another 18 months of this shite!

Amazing that Orange have two masts in Tynecastle yet I can never get online to check the scores at half time.

Vodafone 3G used to be one of the best now it's shoite. I've been with Vodafone for about 12 years and just upgraded my phone every time as its been convenient to do so. I have decided that when my contract is up this round I will deffinatley be changing supplier.

Horatio Caine

yep. I'm on Vodafone with my Samsung Galaxy Ace and it's awful. Slow slow download speeds, sometimes just stops altogether and to cap it all, the phone itself keeps taking flakies for no reason. Shuts itself down, puts up a blank screen , disconnects randomly, aaarrrgggghhhh!

Went into the Vodafone shop to complain and they told me it needed to be updated and to just connect the phone to my PC and it would connect directly to the Samsung website. It didn't. Their alternative was to hand the phone in, and have it sent away for updating but I would lose all my info on the phone and would be without it for a few days. Guess where I'll NOT be going next time?

Christian Benteke

yep. I'm on Vodafone with my Samsung Galaxy Ace and it's awful. Slow slow download speeds, sometimes just stops altogether and to cap it all, the phone itself keeps taking flakies for no reason. Shuts itself down, puts up a blank screen , disconnects randomly, aaarrrgggghhhh!

Went into the Vodafone shop to complain and they told me it needed to be updated and to just connect the phone to my PC and it would connect directly to the Samsung website. It didn't. Their alternative was to hand the phone in, and have it sent away for updating but I would lose all my info on the phone and would be without it for a few days. Guess where I'll NOT be going next time?

You need to download Samsung Kies first and then connect your phone to your PC, then you will be able to back up all your content and do a software upgrade.

As for losing your information, that's standard procedure under the Data Protection Act, so none of your personal information can be accessed by anyone. Regardless of what network you go with this will always happen if you need to send your phone away for repair.

Your three year old phone taking a flaky isn't the networks fault tbf.

Horatio Caine

You need to download Samsung Kies first and then connect your phone to your PC, then you will be able to back up all your content and do a software upgrade.

As for losing your information, that's standard procedure under the Data Protection Act, so none of your personal information can be accessed by anyone. Regardless of what network you go with this will always happen if you need to send your phone away for repair.

yeah, did all the downloading Samsung Kies sh*t and it still doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

Chester™

I'm not vodafone and I cant say I've had much issues in Edinburgh at all. Only place I really struggle is at work, but that seems to be a common problem for all networks.

The worst my internet signal has been since moving to EE has been 15mb per second :smuggy:

Chester™

I'm not vodafone and I cant say I've had much issues in Edinburgh at all. Only place I really struggle is at work, but that seems to be a common problem for all networks.

That should say 'on' rather than 'not. Its one of those days so far! :lol:

The Gasman

Amazing that Orange have two masts in Tynecastle yet I can never get online to check the scores at half time.

People often confuse the strength of the signal, with the capacity.

You can have a full strength signal, but if 15,000 fans are all trying to get on line at once, its unlikely there'll be the capacity to go round.

Try sending a text right on the bells at New Year to see the same effect....

Archived