David Llyod

christhejambo

christhejambo

Needing to join a gym ASAP, having become a fat turd the the last few months. There's a David Llyod down the road, so its looking like that's gonna be the one. Their website is crap however, and doesnt give you any prices. Anyone reccommend them or have any idea how much id be looking at per month?

Needing to join a gym ASAP, having become a fat turd the the last few months. There's a David Llyod down the road, so its looking like that's gonna be the one. Their website is crap however, and doesnt give you any prices. Anyone reccommend them or have any idea how much id be looking at per month?

Better getting a dual membership with a mate/partner and it'll be about ?50 each per month. Joining fee is about ?100 I think. Well worth it but. Hearts have a corporate deal with them too and you'll catch up with Miko and Cesny regularly as they are never out there.

christhejambo
Better getting a dual membership with a mate/partner and it'll be about ?50 each per month. Joining fee is about ?100 I think. Well worth it but. Hearts have a corporate deal with them too and you'll catch up with Miko and Cesny regularly as they are never out there.

Unfortunatley it's the one in Aberdeen though, rather than Edinburgh!

I have recently given up on the gym as the ?55 per month I was paying was too much! Now got out the old bike (not the GF!) and started cycling to work instead. In 4 weeks it has had more benefits than the gym!

Ray Winstone
Unfortunatley it's the one in Aberdeen though, rather than Edinburgh!

JJB down at the beach is far superior!

christhejambo

I live in Garthdee though- so i sure as hell won't have the motivation to get down there of a morning! Gym at RGU is another option, but im at Abdn Uni, so would have to think long and hard about turning to the dark side!

Denny Crane
I live in Garthdee though- so i sure as hell won't have the motivation to get down there of a morning! Gym at RGU is another option, but im at Abdn Uni, so would have to think long and hard about turning to the dark side!

I graduated from there in 99 so things may have changed since then, but from what I remember, between King's College and the tennis courts, there's a building which houses both a swimming pool (ground floor) with a gym on the top overlooking the cricket pitch.

Don't tell me the Vice-Chancellor has flogged it off?

*Garthdee eh? Has Hillhead gotten that bad!!?*

Ray Winstone
I graduated from there in 99 so things may have changed since then, but from what I remember, between King's College and the tennis courts, there's a building which houses both a swimming pool (ground floor) with a gym on the top overlooking the cricket pitch.

Don't tell me the Vice-Chancellor has flogged it off?

*Garthdee eh? Has Hillhead gotten that bad!!?*

Garthdee - thats near me I think - I live near Rosemount just behind the Grammar playing fields!

The building is part of Butchart (but seperate) It is still a gym and pool but it is absolutely abismal - lack of machines etc.

christhejambo
Garthdee - thats near me I think - I live near Rosemount just behind the Grammar playing fields!

The building is part of Butchart (but seperate) It is still a gym and pool but it is absolutely abismal - lack of machines etc.

Aye, not too far away. Your right about Butchart though- total crap. Just rang up DL- took me about 10 mins to get a price from them- they were keen for me to come along for a look- eventually had to say to the bird, look- just tell me how much the bloody membership is. For 61 bucks a month though, i think ill be going elewhere/taking up jogging/remaining a fat turd. :(

Here's a few general tips when you are checking out gyms:

Before Joining

Always find out if there is a 12 month contract. (If there is, make sure you're absolutely sure you want to join).

Ask if you can "freeze" your membership.

Find out how much contact you will get with your fitness instructor (and will you be assigned to one person).

Check how much it costs if you lose your membership card etc.

Make sure they don't charge for anything you wouldn't expect to pay for, eg. parking, extra classes, gym appointments.

Don't sign up on the spot unless you are 100% sure. (Or I'm touring you round my gym) :-)

Ask for free passes to try the club out before joining. Or to bring a friend after you have joined. (If you say your friend is also thinking about joining you'll get passes nae bother).

Find out what promotions were on when other people you know joined. They might give you the same deal if you ask for it.

Remember: Gyms have sales targets like any other business. And like any other business they have scope to give away free stuff if they think it'll close the deal.

After Joining

If you decide to join, ask if you can sort out the paperwork, then get your gym induction at the same time. It saves you faffing about like an eejit on your first visit. You can just join, then get shown what to do straight away.

Check your instructor is registered with REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals). A lot of gyms use underqualified staff to save money. If your instructor is well qualified, they should be on the REPS website.

Read the notice board.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you are unsure about anything. I work for a smaller independent gym in the North of Edinburgh (Like any other gym we're always looking for members, anyone can PM me if keen), and I'm happy to give general advice even if you're not looking at my gym.

Aye, not too far away. Your right about Butchart though- total crap. Just rang up DL- took me about 10 mins to get a price from them- they were keen for me to come along for a look- eventually had to say to the bird, look- just tell me how much the bloody membership is. For 61 bucks a month though, i think ill be going elewhere/taking up jogging/remaining a fat turd. :(

All gyms will try and avoid giving out prices over the phone (unless they are the cheapest gym in town).

It's because they want you to see what you are paying for. If people call round 4 gyms and get 4 quotes, they'll always go for a look round the cheapest one first, then join if it suits them, even although they have nothing to compare it with.

Around 60% of people join the first gym they tour.

Gyms know this, so they try and make sure you are the first one you visit, but if they tell you the price, and their rival down the road can undercut them, it's game over.

Archived