Weakest team in the SPL ?

Jambo-Chappy

Jambo-Chappy

Must be St Mirren. If we can take max points from our league games with them then we'll be well on the way to survival.

Caspian Primrose

Max points from St Mirren, Partick Thistle and Hibs for a chance of staying up. Cant see it myself.

Weakest team in the SPL............sorry to say, it's us. Stands back abruptly.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

We need to hit the ground running and go on a winning run right from the off. We need to find the most effective way for our team to play in pre season and not wait until the season starts. Once we have figured out the most effective personnel and formation/tactics, we need to use it to win the first three games at least, before other teams cotton on and try and find the best way to counter it. It'll no be easy, but it's very doable too.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Weakest squad... definitely. Weakest team... debatable.

Chad Sexington

We may be pretty weak now but who's to say new owners wont beef the squad up a fair bit come January? :)

Kirky Jambo

The standard is so low that everyone will take points off each other. Ross County may struggle losing Vigurs and Lawson. Partick, hibs, hearts, Killie and st mirren all have poor squads. As do Dundee United although Goodwillie is a major boost for them. It will be a big ask but I am confident we can pull it off

Hibs.

Not replaced thumb, they are by far the weakest and we are going to overtake them by Christmas.

First 6- 12 games usually give a good clear indication. I'm not sure we can judge before then. We might hit good form with the youngsters coming in or...

Plus if lots of players unemployed expect to see signings across the season depending on clubs' cashflow plus any signing bans !

oh ah grantona

we must go out to win every game, we must at home keep the fans behind the team that comes from going out for the win right from the off

Dr. Bapswent

Judge for yourself, According to STV - our likely starting 11.

Jamie MacDonald

Jamie Hamill

Dylan McGowan

Danny Wilson

Kevin McHattie

Callum Tapping

Scott Robinson

Jason Holt

Callum Paterson

Jamie Walker

Ryan Stevenson

Agreed. Our depth is our biggest issue. Suspension on injury would be disastrous.

Reckon it will be a four team fight for relegation - us,Partick,hubs and st midden. If we finish 2nd bottom and get livi or raith rovers in the play-offs it will be really exciting.

Partick, Killie, St Mirren and Ross County all have first 11's that are no more than equal to ours, when we get hit with injuries and suspensions we will feel it more than the rest! Although saying that, haven't Killie lost more players this summer than we have (15)?

tartofmidlothian

Very much this.

We have four recent graduates in our team who are probably a season or two's experience away from being among the best in the SPL, and probably at least a couple more behind them. If they can grow up fast the same way one of their number (McHattie) did last season, we'll give quite a few teams a fright.

Our biggest problem is that behind a starting XI who could give most teams a game, we've got next to nothing.

loveofthegame

Partick, Killie, St Mirren and Ross County all have first 11's that are no more than equal to ours, when we get hit with injuries and suspensions we will feel it more than the rest! Although saying that, haven't Killie lost more players this summer than we have (15)?

Killie have appointed an excellent young manager - I don't expect them to struggle.

Jamie MacDonald

Jamie Hamill

Dylan McGowan

Danny Wilson

Kevin McHattie

Callum Tapping

Scott Robinson

Jason Holt

Callum Paterson

Jamie Walker

Ryan Stevenson

That's the 11 I thought of last night but to be honest, it didn't take much thinking.

The real issue will be the formation we set up with. That 11 should be 4 -2-3-1 but well probably go 4-4-2

Jamie MacDonald

Jamie Hamill

Dylan McGowan

Danny Wilson

Kevin McHattie

Callum Tapping

Scott Robinson

Jason Holt

Callum Paterson

Jamie Walker

Ryan Stevenson

First 11 is ok although lacking in goal threat and physical presence. The bench is extremely lightweight.

Hopefully we can bring in some loan players from England if we come out of admin before end August.

We are with out doubt potentially the weakest team this Season, we were not far off relegation last Season and were definitely weaker now we've lost Zal and Webster. Were also playing without a recognised Striker this season!

wheatfield to sheffield

We may be pretty weak now but who's to say new owners wont beef the squad up a fair bit come January? :)

let's hope so, as long as SPFL haven't found an excuse justified reason to keep a transfer ban on us then :sad3::(

loveofthegame

As others have hinted at - without some youngsters showing up and becoming superstars, we are by far the weakest side in the league.

Having said that, I am hoping for a miracle! Walker/Holt/McHattie/Wilson/Tapping/Paterson will all have to be huge players if we are going to stay up. A big, big ask.

Still... we welcome the chase!

Thunderstruck

The "Twelfth Man" - the crowd - will be very important. We need support, noise and an absence of negativity in the stands.

The lads are a year older, all now have good experience and should show improvement this year; they will have to.

As has been said elsewhere, a good start is vital. To use an F1 analogy: races have been won from the back of the grid.

Absolutely, Dr Bapswent has posted probably our strongest starting 11 and I would say its good enough to stay up. Our problem is if/when injuries and suspensions kick in. Just hope to **** we don't get the same shan list of injuries we got last season.

Hibs.

Not replaced thumb, they are by far the weakest and we are going to overtake them by Christmas.

Must say I agree with that mate!

First 11 is ok although lacking in goal threat and physical presence. The bench is extremely lightweight.

Hopefully we can bring in some loan players from England if we come out of admin before end August.

That sums it up nicely. We were atrocious last season and we've been getting weaker year on year for quite a long time.That trend has continued with a vengeance this close season. And we're starting on -15. The miracle may happen, but that's what it'll be.

tartofmidlothian

That's the 11 I thought of last night but to be honest, it didn't take much thinking.

The real issue will be the formation we set up with. That 11 should be 4 -2-3-1 but well probably go 4-4-2

I very much expect Walker to move into the middle, playing just off our striker (Stevenson or Carrick).

I actually like the look of our starting 11, fairly optimistic we will stay up next year. Will just be happy to have a team on the park playing at Tynecastle!

All depends if we are able to make any signing or not, when we officially come out of administration will the signing embargo be lifted straight away or will it have restrictions (under 21's), if so our new owners will be looking to bring in a couple of players before the season starts. if its not lifted until January I honestly think we will have 6 or 7 new players in, which will see our survival in the SPL.

Don't think anyone knows for sure what decision the SPL/SFA will make regarding our signing embargo but I have the sneaky feeling they will look at our situation favourable and will be looking to have a better relationship with our new owners than they did with our last one. This is a new era for the SFA who will want to start of on the right foot.

Also just to add I would go with -

MacDonald

Hamill Wilson McGowan McHattie

Tapping Robinson

Paterson holt walker

Stevenson

Also just to add I would go with -

MacDonald

Hamill Wilson McGowan McHattie

Tapping Robinson

Paterson holt walker

Stevenson

very young team but you know what, there isn't many stronger line ups in the SPL outside sellick. The only problem we could have is with injuries.

Correct.

vegas-voss
Hibs.

Filling there team with tough hard *******s in midfield though.They will kick us off the park in the derby and get away with it and we will still be the team branded big and physical.

Russian Hats

Timing is key for this discussion.

Based on today St Mirren, ourselves , thistle and Hibs are weak or weaker than last season.

However if we have discussion on 1st Sept and we CAN'T bring anyone else in. It will be us by some distance as others will improve squads and we won't and start with -15 points. If we can get a few in, even good u21 then position will look different. And don't kid yourself Hibs will be poorer for Thumb loss but they will bring in strikers and the likes of Kevin Thomson. They will be stronger than us next season and won't have our handicap start. Doesn't mean it's a certainty we can't catch them but its a big ask. Again IF we can't improve squad.

The vital criteria this season is US The Fans.. We cannot afford to start getting on the teams back as any pressure like that could see the young lads crumble, we need to try and inspire them and lets not forget that the handful of experienced players have an almighty load on their shoulders trying to help the kids be nurtured and taking pressure off them, we as a team need to fight as one, any link broken and we are ****ed..

This could get exciting to say the least.

Reckon it will be a four team fight for relegation - us,Partick,hubs and st midden. If we finish 2nd bottom and get livi or raith rovers in the play-offs it will be really exciting.

Do the play offs start this season?

I thought it was from next year.

This is by far the weakest squad I've ever seen at Hearts ... and I would expect it to be by far the weakest squad in the league. And starting from a substantially handicapped position.

However, I am looking forward to the season. Massive chance for the young players to shine (and in some ways I'm glad about the end to the period of stifling the young players by continually bringing in journeymen). But being honest I suspect that we will be detached from the rest of the league very quickly. Hopefully the fans will recognise how tough the situation will be for the young players.

Gregory House M.D.

I very much expect Walker to move into the middle, playing just off our striker (Stevenson or Carrick).

Walker ahead of Holt? No tah.

Our best and most experienced spl players have gone, we have the smallest / youngest squad in the spl... we struggled all last season to get a run of form with a bigger / experienced / better squad... even the most die hard Jambo must realise we are the weakest in the spl... bar hubs!

:-)

Seriously tho... It's us, and unless Locke can transform these kids a la SAF into champions, we'll do we'll to stay up. I somehow doubt that'll be the case... regardless it'll be one hell of a season for us.

LeylandJambo

Would love to be proved wrong but I think we're dead certs for relegation this season.

18Jambo_dave74

I'd say its a bit early to be comparing our team/squad to others as they have plenty time to make more signings. I'd be amazed if we are in a position to get anyone signed before the end of August or even in the January transfer window.

I still think some people are overly optimistic about the abilities of our team and management. What you can say is that the team spirit appears to be very good and that we have a group of players who want to play for the club. The backing of the fans is another advantage over other sides we'll be competing with at the bottom of the league.

Being optimistic, if one of the young players....holt or walker for example hits a bit of form we know they are capable of, then we could quite easily catch 11th, but this is a huge test for them all....imagine they do it.

This season could very well make or break any potential stars for the future.

TobyOfStMarys

I don't have as much faith in our young guys as some of the other posters do, but I find it hard to understand why people think we will finish below Kilmarnock...come on folks, they are surefire relegation fodder this season!

tartofmidlothian

Timing is key for this discussion.

Based on today St Mirren, ourselves , thistle and Hibs are weak or weaker than last season.

However if we have discussion on 1st Sept and we CAN'T bring anyone else in. It will be us by some distance as others will improve squads and we won't and start with -15 points. If we can get a few in, even good u21 then position will look different. And don't kid yourself Hibs will be poorer for Thumb loss but they will bring in strikers and the likes of Kevin Thomson. They will be stronger than us next season and won't have our handicap start. Doesn't mean it's a certainty we can't catch them but its a big ask. Again IF we can't improve squad.

Find it impossible to believe we won't be able to sign anyone at any point this season, if we have next to no chance of avoiding relegation before the season starts that'll kill competition - and attendances - for half the league.

As I've said before, I don't think we should get an embargo for entering admin that continues once we come out and I think the year's late payment embargo should be suspended under new owners provided wages aren't late again. Even that puts us at a disadvantage, as we'd only be in the market for late-window signings no-one else wants and out of window free transfers until January.

tartofmidlothian

Walker ahead of Holt? No tah.

:facepalm:

I meant Holt.

He was credited as "Hearts striker Jason Holt" on the SNS pics the other day IIRC.

Russian Hats

Find it impossible to believe we won't be able to sign anyone at any point this season, if we have next to no chance of avoiding relegation before the season starts that'll kill competition - and attendances - for half the league.

As I've said before, I don't think we should get an embargo for entering admin that continues once we come out and I think the year's late payment embargo should be suspended under new owners provided wages aren't late again. Even that puts us at a disadvantage, as we'd only be in the market for late-window signings no-one else wants and out of window free transfers until January.

The SFA and the SPFL are going to punish us for admin and not paying wages. Best case scenario we will get to sign U21s but no guarantee.

The Baldmans Comb

Jamie MacDonald

Jamie Hamill

Dylan McGowan

Danny Wilson

Kevin McHattie

Callum Tapping

Scott Robinson

Jason Holt

Callum Paterson

Jamie Walker

Ryan Stevenson

That's not a disaster of a line up but the problem is going to be somehow limping through to the January transfer window and picking up a few players when and if the ownership issue is settled as beyond these players there isn't much else.

tartofmidlothian

The SFA and the SPFL are going to punish us for admin and not paying wages. Best case scenario we will get to sign U21s but no guarantee.

For admin they've already done so with the 15 point fine. I'm really not sure about the not paying wages punishment. I don't believe most people outside of the Tache have an axe to grind with Hearts, it was Vlad they were intent on hounding.

Basically who knows, but them being surprisingly reasonable's as likely as them throwing every possible sanction at us IMO. Vlad leaving the building hasn't just changed the game for us, I suspect it's changed attitudes towards us too.

rudi must stay

we have one of the best squads IMO, good experience and a group of very good young players

Jambo-Chappy

If Rangers win promotion this season, division 1 will be a hard place to get out of for whoever gets relegated from the SPL.

Archived