Wasting/Throwing away food

TheMaganator

TheMaganator

I waste so much food. It is almost criminal.

I don't mean to but every couple of weeks I bin loads of the stuff.

A complete waste of money.

Last night I binned 3 standard sized supermarket bags of the stuff (mostly vegetables).

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding this? I've seen it mentioned on the news so I know it's not a problem unique to me.

I guess better planning would help but I work quite long hours as does my bird so sometimes we just go to the supermarket on the way home. Meaning we buy stuff we dont need and forget about it. This can happen every night.

Does anyone have any tips?

If I turned it around I reckon I'd be saving ?20 per week at a minimum.

Cheers

Gorgiewave

I have the same problem. The only thing that's worked is deliberately delaying the shopping until what is left is used up. It sometimes means improvised meals, but better than throwing it out.

Also, just stop and think every three days or so. What is going to go off soon? That will need to be in tonight's dinner / today's lunch, etc.

I think a lot of the problem (with me) is not just not planning, but not reviewing how much has been consumed.

Does anyone have any tips?

Stop buying stuff you don't need and forgetting about it.

A Boy Named Crow

I found the best way to get round this is to use everything at once. So if I'm making a stir fry I'll use all my veg etc. It means I end up with about six times what I need. I then split the other five portions into freezer bags and bung it in the freezer - hey presto, a tasty meal and five healthy ready meals - no waste!

I think you answered your own question when you said better planning might help. We are guilty of chucking away food in my household too, mainly because our first instinct is to shop rather than to have a look in the fridge and try to put a meal together using what's there and might soon go off. Enormously wasteful and a very expensive bad habit to get into.

I found the best way to get round this is to use everything at once. So if I'm making a stir fry I'll use all my veg etc. It means I end up with about six times what I need. I then split the other five portions into freezer bags and bung it in the freezer - hey presto, a tasty meal and five healthy ready meals - no waste!

Yip. Curries, stews, chilli etc are a great way of using everything up and giving you a quick meal in the future.

TheMaganator

I definately need to review what there is in the fridge more. I need to get more militant about things.

A Boy Named Crow - that is a good option but wouldn't work for me as I only have one of those tiny preezer boxes at the top of my fridge.

TheMaganator

Yip. Curries, stews, chilli etc are a great way of using everything up and giving you a quick meal in the future.

I did make 'sausage surprise' last night with varous bits and bobs left over. It wasn't my finest culinary hour.

I think I might start shopping online (I've done it a copule of times before and if you can wangle free delivery makes sense). That way you are only selecting what you want and things dont just magically make their way into your shopping basket as you go round the shop.

Carl Spackler

Aside from the obvious a better fridge can help.

My old fridge packed up and I got a decent new one. It turns out the old one was doing a shocking job as veg lasts much longer in the new one. Surprised me anyway.

Tommy Wiseau

I don't waste a lot of food aside from maybe half a bag of salad every so often, but what has been doing my head in is bread going off quickly. Moulding 3 days after I buy it, absolutely ridiculous - can they not get vile preservatives that actually work? :dry:

I don't waste a lot of food aside from maybe half a bag of salad every so often, but what has been doing my head in is bread going off quickly. Moulding 3 days after I buy it, absolutely ridiculous - can they not get vile preservatives that actually work? :dry:

Bread is the one that gets me the most. :(

I work shifts so its tricky to plan ahead with meals when I'm working at weird times.

jack D and coke

People will argue here with me here I'm sure, but kept sealed bread stays fresh in the fridge but it must be kept properly sealed or it goes hard.

Sheiky Baby

People will argue here with me here I'm sure, but kept sealed bread stays fresh in the fridge but it must be kept properly sealed or it goes hard.

:spoton:

I think I might start shopping online (I've done it a copule of times before and if you can wangle free delivery makes sense). That way you are only selecting what you want and things dont just magically make their way into your shopping basket as you go round the shop.

The BBC Food website now has a new function where it links from a recipe directly into the online shopping for Tesco, Asda, Waitrose or Sainsburys and populates your basket with what you need!

PortyJambo

I guess better planning would help but I work quite long hours as does my bird so sometimes we just go to the supermarket on the way home. Meaning we buy stuff we dont need and forget about it. This can happen every night.

Shopping every night was the biggest cause of waste, of money and food, in our house. It's a pain, but try to plan and limit the shopping to once or twice a week and you'll save money as well as not waste as much.

Jambof3tornado

I work shifts so its tricky to plan ahead with meals when I'm working at weird times.

Split the loaf into 3 and freeze 2/3's. We do it thus way as I was sick of binning mouldy half loaves.

As for veg a look online will give you tips like storing peppers in a plastic tub in the fridge with the stalk attached and a sheet of kitchen roll in the bottom of the tub. They last 3 times as long.

It is a sin to be so wasteful. Meal planning before you shop and not shopping when your hungry all help.

jambo4_0matty

I did make 'sausage surprise' last night with varous bits and bobs left over. It wasn't my finest culinary hour.

:oohmatron:

Tommy Wiseau

I've not had a problem with it before, strangely. Just in the last month or 2 the Warburton's seeded, which usually lasts easily for a week, has been moulding much sooner. I keep it sealed in a cool, dark cupboard, but maybe the rise in temperatures has done it. Bloody annoying anyway.

As others have said, planning is the key. We usually go for one large shop on a Sunday and plan most meals for the week, checking what we already have and maybe picking up some meat, fish or other fresher things later in the week. Maybe not the most spontaneous but it cuts down in waste significantly. Well I say we but I mean me - if I send the missus food shopping, she'll come back with two magazines, a bottle of wine, a packet of biscuits and a big foam hand.

Also, check out the Love Food, Hate Waste website which helps you create recipes with leftover food you have.

TheMaganator

Bread is the one thing I don't throw out too often.

I find keeping it sealed in a dark place keeps it the longest - rather than the fridge.

TheMaganator

As others have said, planning is the key. We usually go for one large shop on a Sunday and plan most meals for the week, checking what we already have and maybe picking up some meat, fish or other fresher things later in the week. Maybe not the most spontaneous but it cuts down in waste significantly. Well I say we but I mean me - if I send the missus food shopping, she'll come back with two magazines, a bottle of wine, a packet of biscuits and a big foam hand.

Also, check out the Love Food, Hate Waste website which helps you create recipes with leftover food you have.

Haha - my bird is quite similar. I will check out that website - cheers

I've not had a problem with it before, strangely. Just in the last month or 2 the Warburton's seeded, which usually lasts easily for a week, has been moulding much sooner. I keep it sealed in a cool, dark cupboard, but maybe the rise in temperatures has done it. Bloody annoying anyway.

Tesco finest seeded. Keeps for about ten days and is nicer than the warburtons i find.

a decent freezer is required.

bulb of garlic....only 2 cloves required for recipe

bunch of spring unions....only 2 used

pound of carrots....2 used

etc,etc

wash and chop it up, squeeze into freezer bags lasts for ages.

its so hard to buy single items without paying more than buying a bag of the likes of peppers.

making meals in batches and freezing is essential as well, saves on wasted ingredients and it takes just as long to make 2lb of chicken into a curry as it does 1lb, same with beef stew and you benefit from only cooking the meal once and letting the microwave take the strain the second time. freezing rice, noodles etc is easy as well once their cooked

Archived