Travelling "Gap Year"

Private Womble

Private Womble

Now that I have a job I was thinking about saving up and pissing off for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences in the planning stages, I have never done anything like this before, was thinking SE Asia but open to going anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Guest C00l K1d

My mate recently done russia-china then vietnam and all around that way.

He done it with a company so they had an itinerary all set out and stuff.

It's a good way to do it if you're not to sure what you're doing, although if i was to travel i'd like to do it on my own terms.

He said vietnam was one of the most beautiful places he's ever been.

Never. Ever. Ever do it all organised through a tour. Ever.

Leaves you extremely restricted in where you can go and you will miss out on chance adventures - The best thing about travelling. Play it all by ear.

Oh and go yourself.

Tyrion Lannister

STA travel do some great "round the world"/multi stop flights.

Doing Home - Dubai- Sri Lanka - Singapore - Melbourne - Auckland - Los Angeles overland to NYC - Home all for just over ?1000 for flights.

All on my own terms, as long as I am on the flight home within 12 months. They do tours and planned itineraries to, but for places like Sri Lanka you could easily make your own itinerary for significantly cheaper and as mentioned above you are severely restricted, half the fun is the adventure surely.

Private Womble

My mate recently done russia-china then vietnam and all around that way.

He done it with a company so they had an itinerary all set out and stuff.

It's a good way to do it if you're not to sure what you're doing, although if i was to travel i'd like to do it on my own terms.

He said vietnam was one of the most beautiful places he's ever been.

Had a look at STA travel and there's a lot of good program ideas, but as you said I would also like to do it on my own terms.

Plenty time to plan so I'll see what I can come up with.

TheMaganator

Just make sure you actually do it.

Dont talk about doing it - then dont do it - and end up regretting it.

Go to Thailand.

Go to Uruguay ::troll:::'>

Seriously though - South America and Uruguay are/were bonkersly brilliant.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Never. Ever. Ever do it all organised through a tour. Ever.

Leaves you extremely restricted in where you can go and you will miss out on chance adventures - The best thing about travelling. Play it all by ear.

Oh and go yourself.

Taking Knoxy's advice on a gap year

:cornette:

What happened when you went to Italy? :stuart:

Disclaimer: I know the poster isn't actually Amanda Knox, so save your breath before you start.

Taking Knoxy's advice on a gap year

:cornette:

What happened when you went to Italy? :stuart:

Rakes of kinky sexy shit. :verysmug:

Jell?

Private Womble

Go to Uruguay ::troll:::'>

Seriously though - South America and Uruguay are/were bonkersly brilliant.

:rofl: I'll look into that.

As others have said booking an STA 'round the world' ticket is a good way to form the core of a trip like this. Myself and a couple of mates did this in 2010 when we all graduated from uni, we were only away for three months, but it was still an amazing time.

We ended up with the following from STA and then filled in the rest ourselves with budget flights/trains/boats :

Glasgow - Seoul, Tokyo - Hong Kong, Singapore-Perth, Sydney - LA, New York - London.

Spend as much time in SE Asia as you can. We only managed Malaysia and Singapore which were both fantastic(we had originally booked for Thailand but this was around the time of mass riots so had to make last minute changes) but I've heard great things about Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos so if you have time travel down through those three countries.

www.seat61.com is a fantastic resource for planning train journeys abroad so check that out as well.

I did a bit of a grown up gap year when I got made redundant aged 29. Went to Singapore, Adelaide (lived and worked there as my sister is there), Melbourne, Auckland, Cook Islands, LA and San Francisco. As others have said just get your flights booked and you'll decide on the rest as you go along.

Tyrion Lannister

As others have said booking an STA 'round the world' ticket is a good way to form the core of a trip like this. Myself and a couple of mates did this in 2010 when we all graduated from uni, we were only away for three months, but it was still an amazing time.

We ended up with the following from STA and then filled in the rest ourselves with budget flights/trains/boats :

Glasgow - Seoul, Tokyo - Hong Kong, Singapore-Perth, Sydney - LA, New York - London.

Spend as much time in SE Asia as you can. We only managed Malaysia and Singapore which were both fantastic(we had originally booked for Thailand but this was around the time of mass riots so had to make last minute changes) but I've heard great things about Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos so if you have time travel down through those three countries.

www.seat61.com is a fantastic resource for planning train journeys abroad so check that out as well.

Take it you just did LA - NYC by bus or rail? Want to do something more adventurous but doing it via car or campervan is apparently bankrupting and not nearly as good as you'd think it would be.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Rakes of kinky sexy shit. :verysmug:

Jell?

Yep :(

Take it you just did LA - NYC by bus or rail? Want to do something more adventurous but doing it via car or campervan is apparently bankrupting and not nearly as good as you'd think it would be.

Part of it. We drove up the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to San Francisco which was incredible and then got a train from Emeryville (just outside SF) through desert and the Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains to Denver before flying to Chicago and then flying again to NYC. We did look into the campervan thing but you're right, it's hideously expensive and we just didn't have enough time. Depending on the route I think it would be worth it though.

Doing Home - Dubai- Sri Lanka - Singapore - Melbourne - Auckland - Los Angeles overland to NYC - Home all for just over ?1000 for flights.

All on my own terms, as long as I am on the flight home within 12 months. They do tours and planned itineraries to, but for places like Sri Lanka you could easily make your own itinerary for significantly cheaper and as mentioned above you are severely restricted, half the fun is the adventure surely.

THIS

I booked my flights through STA, you used to get them cheaper there if you were under 26, not sure if this is still the case.

We went London-Bangkok, Singapore-Sydney, Brisbane-Auckland-Nadi-LA-New York-London. Travelled by bus and train around Thailand for a couple of months and a bus down to Singapore, trains are easy enough to book in Thailand. Were not originally meant to be going to Singapore but due to political protests that closed the airport we had to change our flight to Sydney from Bangkok to Singapore, was easy to arrange buses (trains were full).

Also was really easy to change flights through STA I think they charged an admin fee but wasn't alot (this was 2008/09 though)

SE is cheap and it's beautiful.

You can actually get all the way from Chicago to LA on the same train. I only took it from Chicago to St Louis and then drove to NOLA via Memphis, Clarksdale and Vicksburg. If you travel in the states I'd highly recommend traveling up/down the Mississippi Delta.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

How much did that cost all in?

Wouldn't mind doing something like this but don't have a year or that to get it done. Did you feel 3 months was enough?

[quote name=Vallance82' time

tamp='1372696241' post='3680638]

Now that I have a job I was thinking about saving up and pissing off for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences in the planning stages, I have never done anything like this before, was thinking SE Asia but open to going anywhere. Thanks in advance.

I hired a van from these guys :

www.escapecampervans.com

And drove round the west coast of america for two months, LA > San Fran > Yosemite > Seattle > Yellowstone > Utah > Grand Canyon > Zion > Vegas > LA

Not as expensive as you might think, was by far thr best part of a 8 month trip that took in 26 states and then on to South America. Highly recomend doing something similar!

Private Womble

You seen this aye?

:lol: It was just a matter of time. Thankfully I don't chunder as much as him.

Vietnam is a great place to visit. I have lived in Da nang (central Vietnam) for about 3 years if you want any info about Vietnam drop me a pm.

I work in Asia most of the time, so I am biased towards it, but honestly, if you have the option, get there and spend most/all of your time there.

Good places to visit:

Singapore (not as boring as "travellers" say, great bars, clubs, etc and an easy entry in Asia)

Malaysia

Melaka

Penang - best food in the World.

KL (it's not that interesting though)

Kuching / Sarawak

Langkawi

Cameron Highlands

Thailand

Bangkok

Death Railway

Chang Mai + hills

Islands - most of them are great

China

Beijing (easy to hate, but easy to love it too)

Hong Kong - one of the greatest cities in the world if you have money

Shanghai - unbelievable skyline

Western China - visit the mountains in Guizhou and the hill tribe people

Philippines

Palawan

Manila is a hole

Mindanao - NO NO NO

There's a volcano with a lake in the middle and an islanf in the middle of the lake that's a good day out

Boracay (for beach lounging)

India

Delhi

Taj Mahal n that

Goa - beaches and lounging

City near Bangalore with a palace - cant remember its name, but the British fought a big battle there against the Tipu Sultan

Indonesia

Borobudur

Yogyakarta

Bali

Cambodia/Vietnam - I've only ever seen concrete hotels and offices.

Just get yourself there, enjoy the differences and the chaos, and the roads, dont moan and winge, make friends with locals wherever you go, try and learn to speak some local languages (although in Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines you'll get by with english), try new foods, and have a great time.

Whatever you do, dont talk about it and then not do it. You'll regret it.

I'm working in KL at moment, love the place, love SEA. Defo worth a visit.

Langkawi in Malaysia is nice, very tranquill.

Tbh defo recommend most of the places Sydney mentioned.

My favourite city has been Phnom Penh, Cambodia, people are amazing considering what went on there, good food and so much history, plus you can blow up a cow with a rocket launcher for 400USD.

Heard great things about Siem Reap and Sihanoukville also which I?ll hopefully get to by the end of the year.

Travelling Thailand is amazing, Phi Phi unreal scenery. No roads on the island at all.

Absolutely love Koh Pha Ngan. Such a chilled out island, gets a bit wild during FMP aswell.

Best advice I?d give is don?t plan much, just go with the flow. Problem with planning is it will get you stuck at times when you?d rather go other places with people you just met.

Also there?s a place in Philippines called Angeles City, I?ve never been but all the guys here say it?s the dirtiest place in the world. You should try it out!!

plus you can blow up a cow with a rocket launcher for 400USD.

If that's not a reason to visit, I don't know what is!

loveofthegame

Like so many others, cant recommend STA highly enough.

For ?1,500, we got Edinburgh-Bangkok-Overland to Singapore-Singapore-Cairns-Overland to Melbourne-Melbourne-Christchurch-Overland to Auckland-Auckland-Edinburgh.

In SE Asia we did Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia then Singapore. In Oz we did the entire east coast, Cairns to Melbourne, and in NZ we travellled round for another month.

All I can say is book. Book now if you can... Memories and friendships that will last you a lifetime.

I love my life, but nothing will ever, ever beat those days.... which is ever so slightly depressing!!

Jambo-Chappy

Is this flight only for students ?

I don't know if that particular deal is just for students, but there are plenty of options available for everyone.

The most important thing with something like this is just to sack up and do it. Think of the places that you really want to go to, and look for a route that allows you to take in as many of them as possible, because it's something that you probably will never get a second chance to do.

The main things to think about in planning are:

Flights - Where do you want to stop and for how long? How easy is it to change flights and routes if you need to?

Budget - you can stay for a long time in Asia for the money you'd get through in a couple of weeks in Australia or the US. Other places are usually in between - South/Central America and Africa.

Visas - Do you need to get them in advance - where can you get them, and what do you need to get them. This is less of an issue if you are going to SE Asia but a load of countries ask for advance visas.

Border Crossings - Are they all open?

Safety stuff - Foreign office produce some decent, if slightly over-cautious guidance.

South East Asia is a good option, but I'd also suggest South or Central America. It's easier to pick up a bit of Spanish to communicate with the locals, people are generally very friendly, there are a bunch of interesting places - Macchu Picchu, the Amazon, Mayan sites in Mexico and Guatemala, and some of the best cities in the world - Rio, Buenos Aires and so on.

As others have said, don't plan it too much, and make sure you have the freedom to change your plans. I wouldn't book a tour thing with a prebooked itinerary, although some people find them quite good if they're completely new to this sort of thing. You can book a shortish tour for a few weeks and then take off on your own. The other thing I'd say is that getting off the beaten track is almost always a good idea. Not to say that you don't go to the big sights and so on, but some countries, there's almost a trail that people follow, and they end up meeting more backpackers than locals, which is fine, if that's what you want, but there is more out there.

I'd recommend that, if you've not done anything like this before, you buy a round the world guidebook. Pretty sure Lonely Planet/Rough Guide etc all produce one aimed at relative beginners. It's not so much that there's anything earth-shattering in them, but more that you don't miss anything obvious, and it's kind of reassuring to make sure that you're on the right track.

I work in Asia most of the time, so I am biased towards it, but honestly, if you have the option, get there and spend most/all of your time there.

Good places to visit:

Singapore (not as boring as "travellers" say, great bars, clubs, etc and an easy entry in Asia)

Malaysia

Melaka

Penang - best food in the World.

KL (it's not that interesting though)

Kuching / Sarawak

Langkawi

Cameron Highlands

Thailand

Bangkok

Death Railway

Chang Mai + hills

Islands - most of them are great

China

Beijing (easy to hate, but easy to love it too)

Hong Kong - one of the greatest cities in the world if you have money

Shanghai - unbelievable skyline

Western China - visit the mountains in Guizhou and the hill tribe people

Philippines

Palawan

Manila is a hole

Mindanao - NO NO NO

There's a volcano with a lake in the middle and an islanf in the middle of the lake that's a good day out

Boracay (for beach lounging)

India

Delhi

Taj Mahal n that

Goa - beaches and lounging

City near Bangalore with a palace - cant remember its name, but the British fought a big battle there against the Tipu Sultan

Indonesia

Borobudur

Yogyakarta

Bali

Cambodia/Vietnam - I've only ever seen concrete hotels and offices.

Just get yourself there, enjoy the differences and the chaos, and the roads, dont moan and winge, make friends with locals wherever you go, try and learn to speak some local languages (although in Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines you'll get by with english), try new foods, and have a great time.

Whatever you do, dont talk about it and then not do it. You'll regret it.

Would add on to this that Tibet and Xinjiang (sp?) in China are well worth going to. Very different from the rest of China. Also, if you want to be adventurous, I really enjoyed Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan) and Iran (although I don't know how easy it is to get in as a tourist these days).

In SE Asia, I like Laos and Cambodia more than Vietnam. Laos more just because it's very chilled out although Luang Phabang is worth a visit. In Cambodia, Phnom Penh and Angkor are the main things. Well. that and blowing up the cow. (Although $400. Inflation must be an issue. I think it was only $100 when I was there)

Private Womble

There is some fantastic advice on here, kickback comes through once again. :rofl: won't be blowing up cows but good to know I have the option.

How much did that cost all in?

Wouldn't mind doing something like this but don't have a year or that to get it done. Did you feel 3 months was enough?

The entire thing probably cost somewhere between ?4-5k, I kind of lost track eventually, but we could easily have done it cheaper as we were generally going for private rooms in good hostels and in a couple of places even booked into hotels so I think you could easily knock ?1,000 off that without too much scrimping.

Personally I found we tried to fit in too many places in the three months. I could have spent the whole three months in Japan or the States alone and still not seen everything I wanted to. Three months is generally a nice length of time to go away for but only if you are quite targeted in where you are going so restrict yourself to a few countries rather than trying to fit in as many as possible as we did.

Archived