We Need 7 new players.....

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

We only imo have 4 players worthy of starting next season, the worrying thing is though who would want to A - play for Hearts. B- Play for Frail and C - play for the Romanovs???? I fear there will not be many changes and the majority that started last night will be in the first 11 of the 1st game of next season.

Banks

????

Berra

Karapidis

?????

????

Jonnson

????

????

????

????

H J Simpson

Worringly I wouldn't even include Berra or Jonson.

I'd have said, Banks, Karipidas, Aguiar & Ruben (with an attacking-midfielder alongside him)

Geoff Kilpatrick

Can't believe people rate Karipidis so highly.

BTW, add Driver to that list.

John Findlay

We may need new players but more than anything we need players to have a change of attitude/mindset and that being from turning up and going through the motions to that of being WINNERS. Sometimes it really is just as simple as that.

John

Clerry Jambo
We may need new players but more than anything we need players to have a change of attitude/mindset and that being from turning up and going through the motions to that of being WINNERS. Sometimes it really is just as simple as that.

John

Correct John.

The attitude of most these prima donnas this season has been a disgrace allied to the fact they are just not good enough - what a mix eh!:evilno:

We_are_the_Hearts

We need experience, pace and a captain. Only Cesney was prepared to do anything at pace, the other creative players looked jaded. Berra is NEVER a captain. Blames others for his mistakes, shrugs his shoulders when things go pear shaped and provides no motivation.

I would build a team round Tall, Jonsson, Larry and Pinilla but getting them all fit and some of them free of Vlad flu is not easy!!

Ray Winstone

Regarding Karapidis - I think it is the old lesser of two evils.

We had Zaliukas who was woefull - and now we have Karapidis, who although is not brilliant, he is significantly better than Zaliukas!

Karapidis is a good defender.

I like him.

rossi_1983

Karipidis isn't strong enough to be a top class SPL centre half imo

Who do I think is good enough to start next season?

???????

???????

Berra

???????

???????

???????

Kingston

Ruben/Jonsson

Driver

Pinilla

???????

I think Rapnik could be good enough, but he really should have been given a run out in these meaningless games

Glen has looked good, and I would be happy for him to start as one of our main strikers next season, but I don't want to put too much pressure on him this early, so we need someone else as another option. If nade can lose about 4 stone, he may also prove an excellent option

Ryan Gosling

?????

?????

Berra

Rapnik

Wallace

Kingston

McGowan

Jonsson

Driver

Pinilla

??????

JamboGraham

I really do believe that we have enough players on our books at the moment capable of delivering third place in the SPL. However, they are not all in the first team at the moment (though some are...)

We need a strong manager getting the best out of the players on a regular basis.

We have seen glimpses and flashes from many of them. They will not be 100% consistent as that is the X Factor between a good player and a star and there are few of them in Scotland right now. That is the where a decent manager will make the changes and keep the overall performance level up.

hearts_crazy
We only imo have 4 players worthy of starting next season, the worrying thing is though who would want to A - play for Hearts. B- Play for Frail and C - play for the Romanovs???? I fear there will not be many changes and the majority that started last night will be in the first 11 of the 1st game of next season.

Banks

????

Berra

Karapidis

?????

????

Jonnson

????

????

????

????

There are quite a few more who are 'salvageable', can I also point out that we have not been able to play what most would consider to be our best 11 all season. Add to your list Tall, Aguiar, Miko, Wallace, Kingston (if we can get him interested again) and Glen jury still out on Beslija, Screpis, Chesny, Nade (if we can get him fit/interested again) and Pinilla (if he ever plays for us)

There are others but I can't be bothered to think about it any more. Bottom line is we need a proper Manager, most of our players would flourish under someone who has more of a clue what the hell he's on than Shaggy.

JamboGraham
?????

?????

Berra

Rapnik

Wallace

Kingston

McGowan

Jonsson

Driver

Pinilla

??????

Can't argue too much there....

A fit Nade would be great and Glen to give another option as a team of three...

Wallace is decent at LB bt I prefer him in LM. However, Driver is better so maybe a Takis / Rudi type arrangement could work for them both?

Right Back....yes, the one position on the field that I feel we are very, very weak in the club.

Aguair and Ruben give rotation options in that midfield.

Goalkeeper...??? I hear much of of MacDonald. However, my only sighting of him was the semi versus Aberdeen and that wasn't really a match for keepers (trying to be fair!)

JamboGraham
There are others but I can't be bothered to think about it any more. Bottom line is we need a proper Manager, most of our players would flourish under someone who has more of a clue what the hell he's on than Shaggy.

Indeed...some need to go, some need a good kick....

They all need managed!

I remain unconvinced that the way forward is for a line up of new players to walk in the door...

colinzeal

?????

?????

Berra

Karapidis

?????

?????

Ruben

Kingston

?????

Pinilla

?????/Bednar

Until a new manager comes in, has a look at the players in training and decides for himself who he thinks he can motivate and work with, there's not point in us signing or releasing anyone.

While we can all debate the merits of individual players and agree to a greater or lesser extent on the quality we have/need, it will all be pointless unless the management of the team is sorted out first.

I agree that some on teh books will never be good enough regardless of who's in charge but twe do have players who, given the appropriate coaching could do much better.

Sort the manager out, then let him sort the squad.

Not going to happen tho is it..??

Malcolm Tucker

????

????

Berra

Rapnik

????

????

Jonsson

Kingston

Driver

Pinilla

Glen

peebles jambo
?????

?????

Berra

Rapnik

Wallace

Kingston

McGowan

Jonsson

Driver

Pinilla

??????

like the sound of that team, but i'd have glen and pally

???

??? ??? Berra Wallace

Kingston Jonnson ??? Driver

Pinilla ???

Subs:

Palazuelos

Glen

Rapnik

Karapidis

MacDonald (GK)

It's the manager being unable to motivate the players that's been our downfall.

Nade, Pinilla, Kingston should all be a class above the league if they had the right attitude instilled in them.

Miko, Ruben, Driver, Goncalves should all be performing better as well.

We need a motivator in as our manager. Someone like Souness who wouldn't stand for the way some of our players coast through games atm

- look at Nade's willingness to get the ball there. Power to hold off Toure before slotting it past the keeper.

HMFCjamieHMFC
It's the manager being unable to motivate the players that's been our downfall.

Nade, Pinilla, Kingston should all be a class above the league if they had the right attitude instilled in them.

Miko, Ruben, Driver, Goncalves should all be performing better as well.

We need a motivator in as our manager. Someone like Souness who wouldn't stand for the way some of our players coast through games atm

thats a bit unfair on miko and ruben they have been playing well recently

Dave Bus is leaving Aberdeen in the summer, I reckon he would be a fantastic buy for us. Possibly the ideal parter for Berra or maybe a replacement for Neilson at right back. He could even be the goal threat from midfield we have been lacking if put there.

Dave Bus is leaving Aberdeen in the summer, I reckon he would be a fantastic buy for us. Possibly the ideal parter for Berra or maybe a replacement for Neilson at right back. He could even be the goal threat from midfield we have been lacking if put there.

He would be worth buying if only to have a midfield of Bus Driver

Drylaw Hearts

We need 17 new players not 7.

We have a worse squad now than the one Burley inherited.

I like Berra. I think he was one of our better players on Monday, even if that is damning with faint praise. Karapidis is decent, but I don't think he won a single header against Falkirk, that doesn't bode well for his ability to compete long-term in the Scottish game.

We completely lack a player who the other sides fear. This was the value of a player like Julian Brellier. A thug like Aafjes doesn't take the liberties he did in that match with a hard man in our side.

I also agree with Torres' post.

Through thick and thin

A pretty fair assessment. Would keep very few indeed. Possibly likes of driver, and wallace.

stevie1874

Agree with Driver, he's no pace, canny beat a man and takes a nose bleed every time he's one on one with the goalie. Also i can't see what Eggert adds to the team if he was older or lithuanian he'd be getting pelters every week .It just shows how bad we are that a large part of our support pins our hope for the future on two VERY ORDINARY players

Through thick and thin
Agree with Driver, he's no pace, canny beat a man and takes a nose bleed every time he's one on one with the goalie. Also i can't see what Eggert adds to the team if he was older or lithuanian he'd be getting pelters every week .It just shows how bad we are that a large part of our support pins our hope for the future on two VERY ORDINARY players

Have to agree re EJ. He adds very little to the team. Well over rated.

stevie1874

Bunny Munro

Basso (vastly underrated on here - given a run in the team could prove hes half the keeper gordon was - which is actully a good thing)

Neilson (better than thomson just now)

?????? (is it too late to get kanchelskis back - top class whenever i seen him)

Berra (just 'cause hes captain)

????? (Gonclaves should be sold for as much as possible (?20 would do me) and wallace's defending isnt great.

?????? (miko as backup)

Palazeulos

?????? (Attacking player)

Driver/Wallace (fighting for it)

Pinnilla

Glen

That team is perfectly capable of getting 3rd without much problem. We do however need consisitancy and a decent gaffer.

Drylaw Hearts
Basso (vastly underrated on here - given a run in the team could prove hes half the keeper gordon was - which is actully a good thing)

Neilson (better than thomson just now)

?????? (is it too late to get kanchelskis back - top class whenever i seen him)

Berra (just 'cause hes captain)

????? (Gonclaves should be sold for as much as possible (?20 would do me) and wallace's defending isnt great.

?????? (miko as backup)

Palazeulos

?????? (Attacking player)

Driver/Wallace (fighting for it)

Pinnilla

Glen

That team is perfectly capable of getting 3rd without much problem. We do however need consisitancy and a decent gaffer.

3rd bottom ?

Karipidis isn't strong enough to be a top class SPL centre half imo

Who do I think is good enough to start next season?

???????

???????

Berra

???????

???????

???????

Kingston

Ruben/Jonsson

Driver

Pinilla

???????

I think Rapnik could be good enough, but he really should have been given a run out in these meaningless games

Glen has looked good, and I would be happy for him to start as one of our main strikers next season, but I don't want to put too much pressure on him this early, so we need someone else as another option. If nade can lose about 4 stone, he may also prove an excellent option

Agree entirely with this - Great post.

Thunderstruck

The thing that interests and even annoys me is that with a team of unfit and poorly motivated players, we are only two or three wins short of a European place. Most of the other teams in SPL are only marginally less gash than Hearts at present.

IMHO, the main area for improvement is midfield where we are too lightweight and inexperienced. The youngsters in there need guidance and a motivator. Get the midfield right and the rest will follow.

So, one or two experienced players in the middle plus a manager who understands tactics and team organisation and we could transform this mob into winners. By all means keep Frail as a coach but his strengths are not not in strategy and organisation.

J.T.F.Robertson
I like Berra. I think he was one of our better players on Monday, even if that is damning with faint praise. Karapidis is decent, but I don't think he won a single header against Falkirk, that doesn't bode well for his ability to compete long-term in the Scottish game.

We completely lack a player who the other sides fear. This was the value of a player like Julian Brellier. A thug like Aafjes doesn't take the liberties he did in that match with a hard man in our side.

I also agree with Torres' post.

Gary, we're not talking ice hockey here. :wink:

Spellczech

I cannot believe that we never blooded another youngster last night. Very disappointing.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

If by some miracle we get a real manager then I pray he is given carte blanche to surgically alter the whole squad and mould it to his OWN ideas.

If it meant clearing out fans favourites (if any are left) I don't care.

Ruben and Eggert cannot play in the same team.

Our wingers are not good enough

Our defence is dire. No full back worth the name and I will never be convinced by Karapidis.

Larry, Ruben/ Eggert and someone else brought in for midfield

Oh and as Cloughie used to do. A goalkeeper. First and foremost as Banks will not last forever.

(and a goalscorer).

jamboinglasgow
?????

?????

Berra

Rapnik

Wallace

Kingston

McGowan

Jonsson

Driver

Pinilla

??????

I would agree with that team. From what i have heard and seen of McGowan he could be the ideal midfield partner for Jonsson as they are not similar so there would be an attacking/defensive midfield partnership.

Up front I would think Pinilla and Glen would work well or if we get a manager who could get Nade fit and motivated than a partnership of Nade and Pinilla would be a force to be reckoned with.

Think Miko and Ruben should be retained in case Jonsson picks up and injury or Kingston.

Think Rapnik looks good but wonder if he is ready yet, so think we should have a back up for him.

Charlie-Brown

Pick any 7 Players from:

Bjornsson, Brown, Delands, Rapnik, McGowan, D.Thomson, McCallion, Husband, Woods, Robinson, Templeton, Visconte

Players we need next season;

Neilson - badly missing him just now, Thomson may be an alright player in the future but Robbie is much better than him just now.

Wallace - He can play anywhere on the left and offers something different to Jose.

Berra - great player and still very young, we'd be doing well to keep him for one more season.

Aguiar - I can't believe some people that say he should be punted because he's been injured for a season, it's not his fault he was injured, these things happen.

Kingston - what's all this I've been reading about Larry being the next to leave? He had a bad game against Falkirk by his standards BUT, Jason Thomson was booked after about 20 minutes, instead of concentrating on his own game, Larry tracked back for most of the game to keep young JT out of trouble, surely that shows he's willing to work for the team, he's one of only a few players in Scotland that can set a game alight, we must keep Kingston.

Driver - he's got a determination, he can run at players and has a great strike.

Banks - good competition for McDonald for the #1 top next season.

Nade - only if he has a full pre-season and the management staff are happy with his fitness levels, we aren't able to make that decision. Nade has a great touch, he's strong, quick and on the odd occasion has found the net.

Mikoliunas - provides great competition for the wide positions.

Thomson - even if he's not starting next season, he has potential to one day take over from Robbie.

Jonsson - he's added a "hard-man" quality to his game recently, he's not backing out of challenges, he's still got a bit of working out to do to get himself built up for next season. He's a good distributer of the ball.

Karipidis - Why some don't rate this guy, I don't know, he is solid at the back. Surely defenders' best games are the quiet ones?

Palazuelos - he is great at holding the ball up, great passer of the ball and good vision.

Glen - if he keeps up the determination, he will keep on the right side of everybody.

any player under 22 - give everyone time to fully develop their game and themselves.

And let's not jump the gun and get rid of players before we get a replacement, we don't want a Velicka type moment next season as well.

JamboGraham

Are you sure? The squad that went to Ireland in the first Burley days was threadbare....Burley had to build a squad very, very quickly.

I would expect a strong experienced coach to do wonders with many of our current squad.

Only a Game

Players who are good enough if they find their bollox, get some attitude, lose some weight, get fit, stop getting injured, get properly coached and motivated and start playing for the feckin jersey (all of these dont apply to all of them of course)

Banks

Wallace

Berra

Karapidis

Jonsson

Palazuelos

Aguiar

Kingston

Driver

Glen

Nade

Pinilla

There may another couple Ive forgotten about and another couple who might make it given proper management, but most of the rest can go.

That leaves us looking for at least one full back, one winger, one attacking midfield player and one striker (all of the highest quality we can afford and convince to come)

amadjambo

I think we still have a few quality players at the club but probably still need to sign 5 or 6 players to mount any kind of serious challenge.

Gk: Banks with Mcdonald coming back from loan.

RB: Robbie Nielson is one of the best in the league. I know many on here love to criticise him, but he does perform consistenly well every week without ever looking like a world beater.

LB: IMO neither Goncalves nor Wallace are good enough for a team with aspirations of challenging for trophies. Would like to see us sign a quality LB, but if not then Wallace is definately the better of the two we have.

CB: Berra, Kapipidis, Zaliukas are all decent players but we lack a dominant leader there a la Pressley. Would sell Berra in a heartbeat for the ?2m the media have been talking about. Zaliukas may have had a poor season, but I honestly think he could yet prove to be the best of the 3.

MIDFIELD:

We have many talented midfield players but there is an alarming lack of goals from this area which must be addressed.

Driver, Kingston, Miko, Stewart, Aguilar, Johnson are all good quality players but don't score enough goals. And, no I don't rate Palazualos too highly, certainly IMO not as good as those mentioned.

Driver is the only LM we have so another for this position is essential.

STRIKERS:

Glen looks an exciting prospect and I'm delighted Pinilla has signed a new contract. Pinilla is a class act and if he can stay fit could prove to be the spark we have been crying out for.

Would like to see 2 strikers signed, 1 big target man type player, and another with real pace.

So a LB, CB, LM, goalscoring CM, 2 strikers all required and then perhaps another RB to provide cover for Robbie as Thomson doesn't look SPL standard.

Perhaps some of the young guys coming through could fill some of these gaps though. Guys like Rapnik, Copil, Kostadinov, Mcgowan, Templeton could perhaps be ready to make the step up.

Gary, we're not talking ice hockey here. :wink:

Jim, I know you were joking, but indulge me here:

"Perhaps my practical education was enhanced more by the men I had the good fortune to play in front of, that is the combined might of John Cumming and Dave Mackay. They were two of the hardest men ever to have played the not-so-beautiful game ... I have tremendous admiration for football warriors of their type. Both Cumming and Mackay were exceptional competitors and genuine leaders. Physically they were tough, mentally they were tougher. Their presence raised everyone's game -- not through fear but through respect."

Alex Young, The Golden Vision (2008)

Jim, I know you were joking, but indulge me here:

"Perhaps my practical education was enhanced more by the men I had the good fortune to play in front of, that is the combined might of John Cumming and Dave Mackay. They were two of the hardest men ever to have played the not-so-beautiful game ... I have tremendous admiration for football warriors of their type. Both Cumming and Mackay were exceptional competitors and genuine leaders. Physically they were tough, mentally they were tougher. Their presence raised everyone's game -- not through fear but through respect."

Alex Young, The Golden Vision (2008)

Words that you certainly couldnt apply to Berra. I dont see the fascination with him. He is an appaling captain, the worst i have ever seen for us. Maybe the responsibility of the armband affects his game cos i dont think he's much of a player either, he seems to shrink when he jumps.

As for the squad as a whole, using this season as a barometer, we are in big trouble and need almost an entire team. If the side isnt improved dramatically we are in for more of the same, only worse.

Archived