Fan ownership - an idea for the future

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

I'll qualify this by saying I know it's not our first priority right now, but when we're in safe hands I thought this might be a good way to incorporate private and fan ownership.

First, am I right in thinking (business heads may confirm) that controlling interest in a company means much more than the percentage of shares owned? So whether you have 51% or 71% or 91% what you say still goes and that the value of your shareholding as a block is based on that. Also, would any new owner buying UBIG and Ukio's shares hold something like 70-80% of the club in total?

So here's what I think - when a new owner takes over they should retain 51% of the club and gift the rest of their shares to a reworked Foundation of Hearts, basically an umbrella title for all the fans organisations. This new FoH will have a board elected from amongst these various organisations and the current FoH and will be allowed to vote one of their members to the club's board on an annual basis.

In return the pledged donation system FoH have been setting up is kept active and the club is given the money to help with running costs throughout the year. Maybe even for a specified purpose, for example putting the money into the academy or the upkeep and repair of Tynecastle. If the 1200 hardcore pledgers who converted to DD right away were to still contribute just a tenner a month it would mean 150k into the club annually in return for a meaningful stake held by the fans and democratic representation on the board.

Pipe dream or common sense?

Archived