Ads on BBC website?!?

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

Everytime I watch a news report on the BBC website I have to watch an advert for the likes of Hyundai first. Are they allowed to advertise due to the fact that I am overseas?

Seems a bit strange.

Sheriff Fatman

If it's because you are abroad it's not strange at all, it's quite sensible if you ask me.

Legend Claws
If it's because you are abroad it's not strange at all, it's quite sensible if you ask me.

Thanks for the informative answer.

So they can advertise outwith the UK then?

Sheriff Fatman
Thanks for the informative answer.

So they can advertise outwith the UK then?

I don't see why not. Those abroad don't pay the license fee so advertising would give the BBC a revenue stream. I think there are adverts on BBC America, so I can't see any problem with adverts on BBC products shown abroad over the internet.

Legend Claws

It is fair enough but maybe they should use some of the money to enable us overseas to use iplayer etc.

Guest juvehearts

The quicker the scrap the tv Licensing the better.

i dont see why in this day & age the BBC dont have adverts on their stations.

p.s i'd like to see how much the 1st advert on the channel would cost :P

The quicker the scrap the tv Licensing the better.

i dont see why in this day & age the BBC dont have adverts on their stations.

p.s i'd like to see how much the 1st advert on the channel would cost :P

The whole point of the BBC is that it is publically funded. As soon as you open it up to advertising then there is the risk that programming becomes secondary to securing advertising revenue.

Can't imagine The Late Show being inundated with advertisers but it is important to the cultural well being of the nation.

Also, it's nice watching films without ad breaks at the most inappropriate moments.

The whole point of the BBC is that it is publically funded. As soon as you open it up to advertising then there is the risk that programming becomes secondary to securing advertising revenue.

Can't imagine The Late Show being inundated with advertisers but it is important to the cultural well being of the nation.

Also, it's nice watching films without ad breaks at the most inappropriate moments.

I'd prefer scrapping it. Rarely watch BBC stuff now, especially as Neighbours is on Five ;) Would prefer to save my ?120+ tbh. Most stuff on the Beeb is pish and not worth the money. The licence fee is only going to rise, didn't they want it above inflation too?

John Findlay

No need for adverts during programmes. Have adverts between programmes.

John

You don't appreciate the value of the BBC until you don't have it any more. Seriously, BBC news or dramas - and most comedies now that I think about it - pish all over anything any of the US networks come out with.

Also, the website is tremendous, far and away the best news site on the web.

BB - the ads are indeed because you're abroad. Personally, I'm totally fine with it, but I agree I wish there was a way they could offer the iPlayer.

Stewart MacD

One of our publicly owned channels (SBS) started having adverts between programs a few years ago. A slippery slope - now they have them during the shows as well. Now they're addicted to the revenue and the previous government loved it as they could happily knock back requests for funds.

I avoid the commercial stations as their stuff is either American ****** or local gameshows, but I will miss the top world films and other class progs if I give this one up.

I'd prefer scrapping it. Rarely watch BBC stuff now, especially as Neighbours is on Five ;) Would prefer to save my ?120+ tbh. Most stuff on the Beeb is pish and not worth the money. The licence fee is only going to rise, didn't they want it above inflation too?

Well I do still watch it, as a lot of others do.

With respect, if Neighbours is the high point of your televisual treats then...:sad:

BBC4 is really good, as is BBC2.

Not so sure about BBC1 as I do think that has gone downhill.

But the sum of the whole is of greater value than the individual parts.

Era Macaroons

John

this would appear a decent solution

What was acceptable just even 10 years ago, is no longer.

telly time in my house has dwindled significantly ...so should this bill

with the huge choice of media available, i resent paying 120 just to keep some ads off some of the channels that i barley watch

It is fair enough but maybe they should use some of the money to enable us overseas to use iplayer etc.

They arent allowed to mate, some of the programmes could be licensed out to over seas channels by the production companies behind the shows....

Era Macaroons

With respect, if Neighbours is the high point of your televisual treats then...:sad:

the BBC would still make all the stuff u watch.

seems unfair to charge EVERYBODY so that YOU can enjoy undisturbed 'quality' telly

the BBC would still make all the stuff u watch.

seems unfair to charge EVERYBODY so that YOU can enjoy undisturbed 'quality' telly

I can't help being intellectual! :rolleyes::P

Not everything on the BBC is to my taste either, but I respect the fact that it is there.

The Doctor

The BBC is tremendous value for money, 8 digital channels, 11 national radio stations, countless local radio stations, one of the best websites on the planet.

They produce some of the best TV shows in the world, sold all over the world. Recent favourites of mine; Doctor Who (obviously), Ashes to Ashes, QI, HIGNFY, Gavin and Stacey, Coast, The Apprentice, The Invisibles, MotD, Top Gear, Waking the Dead.

The BBC gives new comedy an opportunity, some of it works (The Office) some of it doesn't (Scallywagga), but I'm pleased that it gets a chance.

I feel for people who don't watch BBC or listen to national radio having to pay the licence fee, but you can't deny that it's value for money and that they make quality programmes.

you should be able to opt in or out of using the BBC services, much like sky.

Baring in mind, you will lose the bbc radio stations too mind

Era Macaroons
I can't help being intellectual! :rolleyes::P

Not everything on the BBC is to my taste either, but I respect the fact that it is there.

i dont think i insinuated that you were :confused:

as I said .....the BBC will still produce same stuff, just with ads.the fee is outdated.

they as good as have ads inbetween programmes anyway...ads advertising...the BBC!!

The BBC is tremendous value for money, 8 digital channels, 11 national radio stations, countless local radio stations, one of the best websites on the planet.

They produce some of the best TV shows in the world, sold all over the world. Recent favourites of mine; Doctor Who (obviously), Ashes to Ashes, QI, HIGNFY, Gavin and Stacey, Coast, The Apprentice, The Invisibles, MotD, Top Gear, Waking the Dead.

The BBC gives new comedy an opportunity, some of it works (The Office) some of it doesn't (Scallywagga), but I'm pleased that it gets a chance.

I feel for people who don't watch BBC or listen to national radio having to pay the licence fee, but you can't deny that it's value for money and that they make quality programmes.

They do make fantastic programmes, including most you list......but Dr Who, that worth paying 120 notes NOT to watch ;)

i dont think i insinuated that you were :confused:

as I said .....the BBC will still produce same stuff, just with ads.the fee is outdated.

they as good as have ads inbetween programmes anyway...ads advertising...the BBC!!

I refer you to my previous post regarding programming being based on advertising and not on the merits of the programme itself.

If you want to boil it down, to say "..and next on BBC2" is advertising!

jamboinglasgow

I would agree with you there, BBC2 has good comedy and shows, BBC4 though intellectual, I find it is very decent in its programing (keep catching good shows from it on iplayer.)

Dont watch BBC1 that much but when I do the programs are good, Doctor who, Friday night with Jonathon Ross etc. However they are too obsessed with soaps (and holby series.)

BBC3 is something I dont really watch, I am part of its target audience 17-25 and I think its too obsessed with "youf." The amount of shows they have tried and are awful are too often (lily Allens show is a perfect example.) And the classic blunder of BBC putting one of the most popular cartoons in the world (Family Guy) on BBC3 rather than BBC2.

As for the other channels, only watch one program on ITV and I feel it is a shadow of its former self.

Channel 4 is too obsessed with Iraq, Islam, food and propety that it misses out on alot of good programs. Friday night used to be a great night for comedy and now it is rubbish.

THink the BBC is a good network however it needs improvements. Though its iplayer has been a great addition and will improve the way people watch programs on BBC.

Commander Harris

what annoys me more is when the BBC actually advertises its programming elsewhere!

cinema ads/bus ads etc.

I'm paying a licences fee and they are spending part of that fee letting me know that Bianca is back in eastenders?! :confused:

Didn't the Late Show get punted about ten years ago?!

Sheriff Fatman

John

To give a decent revenue stream there would have to be regular 5 minute ad breaks during programs, or 15-30 minute ad breaks in between programs. Advertisers wouldn't pay as much for ads in a 30 minute slot as they know fine well that the viewers will just turn over or go and do something else during the ads so they wouldn't be seen as much.

Guest juvehearts

Also, it's nice watching films without ad breaks at the most inappropriate moments.[/quote]

Thats why sky movies were invented, I feel that i could live without the beeb well enough to surive.

the only thing that would affect my situation would be cbeebies, my daughter loves the damn thing but the bad thing is that it repeats its self 3 times a day :mad:. But everyone should be adaptable to change (even pinilla) and we would watch either nick JR or disney channel.

Sheriff Fatman

Also' date=' it's nice watching films without ad breaks at the most inappropriate moments.[/[/b']quote]

Thats why sky movies were invented, I feel that i could live without the beeb well enough to surive.

the only thing that would affect my situation would be cbeebies, my daughter loves the damn thing but the bad thing is that it repeats its self 3 times a day :mad:. But everyone should be adaptable to change (even pinilla) and we would watch either nick JR or disney channel.

Personally the only channel main terrestrial channel I could say that wouldn't affect me in the slightest if it was gone would be ITV. 99.9% of the output on that channel is undiluted garbage. Even Channel 5 has the occasional worthwhile program.

As to kids TV, the vast majority of satalite and cable kids channels are awful. A non stop diet of poorly written cartoons and brain dead American or Australian youf dramas is exactly what kids don't need to see.

Guest juvehearts

Personally the only channel main terrestrial channel I could say that wouldn't affect me in the slightest if it was gone would be ITV. 99.9% of the output on that channel is undiluted garbage. Even Channel 5 has the occasional worthwhile program.

As to kids TV' date=' the vast majority of satalite and cable kids channels are awful. A non stop diet of poorly written cartoons and brain dead American or Australian youf dramas is exactly what kids don't need to see.[/quote']

i couldnt say how bad the kids channel's are on sky/cable, cbeebies is designed for 0-7 yr olds,

yoof as you say could watch anything with adverts on it & say...... mum can i get that lol

Sheriff Fatman

i couldnt say how bad the kids channel's are on sky/cable' date=' cbeebies is designed for 0-7 yr olds,

yoof as you say could watch anything with adverts on it & say...... mum can i get that lol[/quote']

It's not the adverts of yoof channels, it's the braindead programs. Nick Jnr and the like are just as bad for 0-7 year olds.

Surely erradication of the license fee would lead to better quality programmes.

In order to maximise income from advertising, programme quiality would have to be better - which can only be a good thing.

the beeb is pretty ****e just now. They do have good shows on now and again, but if I was to pick a TV schedule for all of the beebs services, I'd struggle to find something I'd want to watch (except the news etc).

Perhaps if they introduced advertising and lowered the lincense fee eg ?50 a year, plus adverts.

Commander Harris

indeed toggie, good to see you advocating free market capitalism. :)

Sheriff Fatman

In order to maximise income from advertising, programme quiality would have to be better - which can only be a good thing.

the beeb is pretty ****e just now. They do have good shows on now and again, but if I was to pick a TV schedule for all of the beebs services, I'd struggle to find something I'd want to watch (except the news etc).

Perhaps if they introduced advertising and lowered the lincense fee eg ?50 a year, plus adverts.

The home made programmes on ITV and Sky put paid to any arguement about quality improving with adverts. ITV and Sky programs are with a couple of exceptions the worst on UK television.

You should read "How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World" by Francis Wheen, especially the part about "the trickle down effect".

To increase revenue from advertising the programme only has to be popular, nothing to do with quality.

I give you X-Factor as an example.

Legend Claws
You don't appreciate the value of the BBC until you don't have it any more. Seriously, BBC news or dramas - and most comedies now that I think about it - pish all over anything any of the US networks come out with.

Also, the website is tremendous, far and away the best news site on the web.

BB - the ads are indeed because you're abroad. Personally, I'm totally fine with it, but I agree I wish there was a way they could offer the iPlayer.

Have to agree you don't know what youv'e got till it's gone as they say.

We have the best TV in the world in the UK and the BBC has a huge factor to play in that.

Legend Claws
They arent allowed to mate, some of the programmes could be licensed out to over seas channels by the production companies behind the shows....

Makes perfect sense thanks for that!

Surely quality is in the eye of the beholder?

Indeed. While I detest crap like X Factor, it is quite clear that people want to watch it. It could be argued that a quality television programme is one that people want to watch.

Indeed. While I detest crap like X Factor, it is quite clear that people want to watch it. It could be argued that a quality television programme is one that people want to watch.

I kinda agree.

Quality is what an individual person makes of the program.

Just because you deem it bad does not mean it lacks quality etc.

I kinda agree.

Yup, I think we totally agree!

I kinda agree.

To paraphrase Paul Weller, do the public get what the public want, or do the public want what the public get?

A show like x-factor will get more veiwers than say Dan Cruickshanks Around the World in 80 Treasures, but I know which is far more qualitative.

It isn't Mr Cowell's programme in case you were wondering.

Yes, I can see that taste is subjective and I suppose we all have varying standards but to churn stuff out at a lowest common denominator level simply because it has "mass appeal"...

Unfortunately that says more about the intellectual capacity of the "masses" than anything else.

Bread and circuses for the 21st Century.

Boaby Ewing

I believe in the beeb.

I believe in the principal of funding it via a licence fee to keep it non-commercial.

I can't say I agree with the fact that a mate I was out with tonight is going on a feckin' beeb workshop tomorrow to 'learn how to fill in the forms correctly after the programme's aired'.

Seriously, how feckin' hard can it be... definitely sounds like something you couldn't learn on the job right enough.

WTF is that all about? I hate the word 'workshop'.

WTF is that all about? I hate the word 'workshop'.

I agree. Unless, of course, it is preceeded by the words "BBC Radiophonic".

Archived