Who was there...?

Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer

I wasn't...!!!

'No,Luke. I, am your father.' (Cue Imperial March/ March of the Empire).

Quality.

I P Knightley
I wasn't...!!!

Quality.

I've tried http://www.confused.com and they couldn't help me.

Is this anything to do with Sunday gone having been Star Wars Day?

(May the Fourth...)

Commander Harris

I think he's asking who was there first time around to see that historic moment in cinema.

unfortunately I didn't see it first time around. :sad:

I P Knightley
I was there, Odeon cinema on Nicholson Street, I was aghast.

Me too.

Can't say I was aghast but I never really caught the sci-fi bug.

I was there, Odeon cinema on Nicholson Street, I was aghast.

Me too. The proper old Odeon before it was carved up into three cinemas. Used to be a live music venue too - saw Ozzy Osbourne, Ian Gillan and Motorhead there the same year. Nothing matched that moment!

I wasn't...!!!

Quality.

Didn't see The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema but did see Return of the Jedi at the Odeon on Nicholson St.

Jambojohnnyboy
I wasn't...!!!

Quality.

Was there, but can't remember where I saw it. Not sure if the Caley was away by then, probably at the Odeon too.

The Caley was still there, but tended to get "second run" films. It's amazing to even think of the concept these days.

The ABC/Odeon had the duopoly on the blockbuster new release first runs, but they were only ever at one or the other. The Odeon got the Star Wars films. (Oh, and for any youngsters reading this - you queued. Right round St Patrick's Square. No advance booking, no reserved seats.)

The reason I know that the Caley was still there is that I remembering going to see Return of the Jedi on second run there!

dodethejambo

Saw it at the Odeon in Newington.

Queued all the way round St Patricks Sq and into Causewayside, always thought that a being in a queue that big you would get a knock-back just before you were about to get in.

Say What Again
(Oh, and for any youngsters reading this - you queued. Right round St Patrick's Square.)

I remember queuing right round there with my Dad to see E.T.

Jambojohnnyboy
The Caley was still there, but tended to get "second run" films. It's amazing to even think of the concept these days.

The ABC/Odeon had the duopoly on the blockbuster new release first runs, but they were only ever at one or the other. The Odeon got the Star Wars films. (Oh, and for any youngsters reading this - you queued. Right round St Patrick's Square. No advance booking, no reserved seats.)

The reason I know that the Caley was still there is that I remembering going to see Return of the Jedi on second run there!

In that case it would have been the Odeon then, and then at the Caley. Remember seeing Star Wars there. I remember the queues on a Saturday night outside the odeon, it was practically like that until about 1990 or so.

Saw Star Wars at the Dominion on my birthday in 1978.

Queue to get in and ABBA: the movie was in the other screen. My Dad frivolously asked if I would prefer that instead to avoid the queue. My big sister seemed keen but was swiftly told to bog off.

Empire Strikes Back - Dundee Odeon (I lived in Arbroath at the time). Whole family trip again for my birthday. Litle sis old enough to attend and she blethered with my big sis all the way through.

Whined aboutit and my Dad took me to see it at Arbroath cinema (when it arrived).

RotJ - Arbroath and also the Odeon Edinburgh after we moved back.

Then in the summer of 84 (I think) I went to see all three back to back at the Odeon again. Genius.

Legend Claws

Not on a Star Wars theme but there is an old school cinema here in Melbourne called The Astor. It shows doubles for the equivalent of 7 GBP. It is a huge place with ornate design and is what cinemas used to be all about. It does not show the most up to date movies (gets them 4 weeks later) but the movies they do show are all classics and/or a wee bit different. So far I have seen Control followed by This Is England and last week I witnessed Predator followed by Die Hard (John McTiernan double) and it was superb! They are showing 2001: A Space Odissey soon, that would be pretty cool I think.

So if you ever find yourself in Melbourne be sure to check it out!

RUNNNNN GOOOOOOO GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

Dix Handley

Queued for Star Wars, 78 but never saw "Empire" or "ROTJ" until they

were on telly(never the same).Faither thought video recorders were the devils work(stupid bugger!).

Wish id kept those damned figures though!:cussing:

championsleaguefan

There is too many cinemas these days how they make money I will never no.

oh eye its the tenner each on drink and scran that make the money.

Archived