Isle of Man 1986

Bootboy100

I seem to recall a thread about the above tournament with pics on it. Had a chat with my mate and was convinced there was one of Willie Irvine scoring and Hearts fans on the pitch. I had a wee look with no joy. Can anyone help?

Still looking but found this post.

yes Steve Sherwood testimonial

I have a vivid recollection of the goal

Great Hearts support (Elton Elton give us a wave)

They had two huge balck guys up front. The younger one whizzed down the wing Wattie Kidd tried his usual tactic of a diving maiming slide tackle and the winger just vaulted over him leaving wattie to slid into the gravel and hit the side wall. The winger whipped it across and the centre forward belted it into the top corner on the volley from abotu 20 yeards. Other than Wattie's kamikaze tackle Hearts hadn't moved.

Barnes and Blissett I think though I had only a vague awareness of them at the time

"Stevie Stevie give us a wave". Waves

"Stevie Stevie give us a goal". Waves two fingers - good man.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

I didnt have to dream !!!

In 1986 (87 ?) Hearts were in the Isle of Man tournament playing against the likes of Stoke City /cant remember the 2nd team & Bohemians of Dublin.

It was during the last game, on a lovely balmy evening against Bohemians, when I took the opportunity to fulfil a dream.

By chance (I was only 18 at the time) I had turned up in the same kit that Hearts wore that night (silver kit - yes I know - bought b4 May !!!).

Anyway, as the teams re-appeared for the 2nd half, I took my chance and trotted out with them as their 12th man. The 2nd half started with me playing alongside Roger and Crabbe (I think) on the left. Anyway, despite the torrent of abuse from Kenny Black etc, I continued on for a few minutes making lungbursting runs down the flank. Needless, to say I was totally ignored, although I did have a Bohemians defender chase me down to the corner flage with a quizzed look on his face !!!! My movement and positional sense was ceratinly eyecatching and years ahead !!!!

I left to re-join my mates on the touchline, but we were soon on again, when Willie Irvine (yes him) scored, and we all run on and jumped on him !!

Great Days

:)

hoof.hearted

I was there, think other team we played was Wigan Athletic....not 100% but they were one of the teams and I'm pretty sure.

Newcastle Utd , Portsmouth & Isle of Man select made up the 6 teams.

It was a crazy tourney with fans standing around touchline & 1 local bobby in attendance.

Think around 500 fans travelled over so there was some fun and games.

Do remember when Willie Irvine scored and he was mobbed by fans, capturing him in the net.

Also remember Body Watson having a shot that was just going wide, only for the ball to be elbowed back into play by a supporter leaning against the goalpost.........that's how unorganized the whole thing was......but it was enjoyable.

Standing beside Willie Irvine on penalty spot as he had rounded keeper on edge of box, all fans jumped on Willie, dragging him into the net.To much drink that day

Doctor FinnBarr

It was Wigan, we drew 1-1 with them at St George's Park (I think). Only watched the 1st half then sat in the clubhouse with George Cowie cos it was pissing down.

It was Wigan, we drew 1-1 with them at St George's Park (I think). Only watched the 1st half then sat in the clubhouse with George Cowie cos it was pissing down.

I remember taking a huge Hearts flag to the Stoke game - it was pissing down, my hair went pink thanks to the flag!!!!

Talk-o-the-North

We must have went there a couple of times as I recall the teams including Newcastle Utd (Gascoigne, Beardsley etc)and Darlington. Played the Darlington fans at 20 a side on the beach at Douglas. The Lido club at night - plenty of horse and carts. There's the story of Robbo leaving the Lido and getting his cash stolen - when he came back the rest of the players asked him how much they had gotten away with and he said ?75.49p - he had it down to the penny! :-) Met some great fellow jambos including Derek Heaney (younger bro of the late Tom Heaney who was a regualr poster on JKB). Great days.

We must have went there a couple of times as I recall the teams including Newcastle Utd (Gascoigne, Beardsley etc)and Darlington. Played the Darlington fans at 20 a side on the beach at Douglas. The Lido club at night - plenty of horse and carts. There's the story of Robbo leaving the Lido and getting his cash stolen - when he came back the rest of the players asked him how much they had gotten away with and he said ?75.49p - he had it down to the penny! :-) Met some great fellow jambos including Derek Heaney (younger bro of the late Tom Heaney who was a regualr poster on JKB). Great days.

I remember the Geordie fans having a square go with the Blackburn subs after a friendly kick about got nasty....quality!!!

hoof.hearted

We definitely only went the once as Hearts stated after they would never attend again although I wished we had. Think Motherwell attended the following year.

The Robbo incident happened in 86 but don't know where Darlington came from as they definitely weren't in tourney. Maybe some teams go there to train pre season.

sick.of.romanov

Still looking but found this post.

yes Steve Sherwood testimonial

I have a vivid recollection of the goal

Great Hearts support (Elton Elton give us a wave)

They had two huge balck guys up front. The younger one whizzed down the wing Wattie Kidd tried his usual tactic of a diving maiming slide tackle and the winger just vaulted over him leaving wattie to slid into the gravel and hit the side wall. The winger whipped it across and the centre forward belted it into the top corner on the volley from abotu 20 yeards. Other than Wattie's kamikaze tackle Hearts hadn't moved.

Barnes and Blissett I think though I had only a vague awareness of them at the time

"Stevie Stevie give us a wave". Waves

"Stevie Stevie give us a goal". Waves two fingers - good man.

That game was played at vicarage road iv got the programme

I've got pics from the bohemians game somewhere, Irvine walking the ball in with fans on the park, Andy Watson from the same game. feck knows where they are, but if I find them I'll scan and post them. from memory it rained the whole week and we came home a day early.

I've got pics from the bohemians game somewhere, Irvine walking the ball in with fans on the park, Andy Watson from the same game. feck knows where they are, but if I find them I'll scan and post them. from memory it rained the whole week and we came home a day early.

That would be great John

Sorry, but we only went the once, playing Stoke, Wigan and Bohemians. It was a six team tournament, so perhaps Newcastle, Darlington and Isle of Man were in the other group?

and Hearts!!!

Sorry, but we only went the once, playing Stoke, Wigan and Bohemians. It was a six team tournament, so perhaps Newcastle, Darlington and Isle of Man were in the other group?

i was there when clubs were hearts newcastle wigan portsmouth isle of man cant remember other team thou . travelled on same ferry as newcastle and portsmouth paul mariner had just signed for pompey alan ball was manager. played bingo nightly in johnnys amusements with gazza peter beardsley and billy whitehurst, gazza was a laugh often taking over the calling and once wrote down numbers peter beardsley had and shouted them out making beardo shout house everyone in place knew he was set up apart from him. great times.

Hackney Hearts

I went with Nick Hancock - this was the first (and last, to date) chance to see our teams (Stoke & Hearts) play each other and it meant a lot to both of us - it went way beyond the lowly stature of Isle of Man Tournament . He was so skint I paid for his ferry fare - largely because I was so confident we'd beat them (it was 1986, remember). Tragically we lost 1-0. The goal was scored by Graham Shaw (not our cup final scorer from 10 years earlier!). For years Nick carried a newspaper cutting of the match report in his wallet - "Shaw Stoops To Conquer". We didn't see each other during the game as we stood with our own fans, but it was a nightmare journey back.

Archived