The **Official** US Open Tournament Thread

Homme

Looking forward to another weekend of top golf. Planning to pop down the bookies at lunch today to have a look at some early prices.

Does anyone have thoughts on who this years winner will be?

As an aside, i see the top three in the world (Woods, McIlroy and Scott) have all been paired together for the opening two rounds. I think the winner may come from one of this group as a top round from one or two will make the others raise their game.

For the purpose of this thread i'll call Scott as the winner, and i will have a look at some each way bets to stick on as well.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rossthejambo

Can't see Scott winning back to back majors tbh.

My guess is it'll be someone like Dufner or Dustin Johnson that end up winning it. I'll have a proper look later on today.

Optimus Prime

I think this could be the one were Tiger breaks through. He's had a great season so far but if he can control it off the tee he'll be hard to beat as Merion is a little shorter than regular US Open courses, which should play into his hands.

Away from Woods I think Matt Kucher & Jim Furyk won't be far away and G-Mac may well lead the European assault.

Very difficult one to call. Not the longest course out there but very tight. (You can play it on WGT). Don't think we will see many drivers being hit so would suit Woods with irons of the tee. However, I just can't back him so it will be Jason Day and one other for me.

Sergio Garcia

If the US Open was played here over last two years I would be betting heavily on Luke Donald, the course seems set up for him but his form this year isn't as good as previous years so it'll be a smaller each way bet on him for me.

My usual each way on Sergio will be bet (Its got to happen one major), would be much more confident of him if the incident didn't happen, no idea how he or the American crowds will respond so its a bit of a gamble.

Fancy Manassero to go well this week at a big price, been playing well and after the win at Wentworth full of confidence for the bigger events.

Snedeker will be the last of my betting quartet, this course will suit him I feel so an each way on him as well.

Of the big 3 got a feeling Rory will go the best, however the odds are quite short so just a watching brief on him.

rossthejambo

Jason Day

Dustin Johnson

Brandt Snedeker

Rory McIlroy (20/1 is a hard price to turn down)

There's my 4 E/W punts, hopefully I'll have backed another winner.

Maroon Sailor

Rory McIlroy (20/1 is a hard price to turn down)

Took Phil Mick @ 25/1 for exactly the same reason.

Sergio Garcia

Rorys as high as 20s? I thought I seen him at 8s. May have to consider betting him as well at that price.

rossthejambo

Rorys as high as 20s? I thought I seen him at 8s. May have to consider betting him as well at that price.

I got him at 20s with Sky Bet. They seem to have everyone except Tiger at 20/1+

Jeremy beagle

Can't see Rory challenging based on recent form. Luke the choke will have his usual top 10 finish but not win. It's truly wide open in my opinion...

Say What Again

After Googling "US Open tips" and copying the first one I read conducting in-depth research, my interests for this year are Mickelson and Mannesero.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I think I'll be going with a manassero e/w and either Rory or Phil to win. Both are over 20s.

Have gone for 5 selections, all each way shouts. Backed them on the Paddy Power App as they are paying 1/4 odds for top 7 places.

Matt Kuchar @ 22/1

Adam Scott & 25/1

Brandt Snedeker @ 35/1

Dustin Johnson @ 45/1

Rickie Fowler @ 66/1

Should make for a good bit of entertainment this weekend. :D

Sergio Garcia

Decided to back 5 this week the 4 above and Rory, all each way. Backed them on the Paddy Power but just on normal site as I dont have the app paying 1/4 odds for top 6 places.

Rory @ 22/1

Snedeker @ 35/1

Luke @ 40/1

Sergio @ 40/1

Manassero @ 70/1

Hopefully some (If not all) of them will be there or thereabouts on Sunday evening.

For those of you who pay any attention to what I have to say (so that'll be nobody :9: ), you'll know that I've tipped and backed the last three major winners on here pre-tournament - the Big Easy at 45/1, Rory at 16/1 and Adam Scott at 28/1. That run surely can't continue so your golfers to avoid this weekend - and apologies to anyone already on any of these - are:

Graeme McDowell to win 22/1

Matt Kuchar to win 22/1

Matteo Manassero e/w 70/1

Bill Haas e/w 80/1

Angel Cabrera e/w 100/1

Michael Thompson e/w 125/1

All each way paying top 7.

Maroon Sailor

Phil Mickelson @ 25/1

Rickie Fowler @ 66/1

Kevin Streelman @ 125/1

Kyle Stanley @ 150/1

All E/W

Carl Spackler

By the way, Paddy Power paying 7 places if you bet via mobile.

They would do better using the money to build a mobile site as good as bet365's if they want more market share!

My bet for the week:

Woods to win the Open 6/1

Murray to win Queens 13/8

Brazil to beat Japan on Sat 2/7

?25 treble.

Say What Again

After Googling "US Open tips" and copying the first one I read conducting in-depth research, my interests for this year are Mickelson and Mannesero.

Stuck Snedecker in there too.

Mickelson 22/1

Snedeker 35/1

Mannesero 75/1

All e/w

Say What Again

They would do better using the money to build a mobile site as good as bet365's if they want more market share!

I use all of them, just go where the best odds or MBS is being offered.

Paddy Power is honking when you're trying to bet in-play. Half the time it freezes and the rest of the time the odds you're looking for aren't there. It also seems to take until about 10 mins after the event has started, before you can place a bet.

The course layout is pretty baffling when it comes to choosing a "type " of player for my bets this week.

Six par 4's that have an average of less than 360 yards and where wedge play will be key to scoring birdies.

No need to hit driver but rough will be difficult.

So to make birdies the player ideally doesn't have to be long off the tee but needs to be straight and a good wedge player - sounds like Steve Stricker.

But, there are also six par 4's that average over 470 yards :o

For bogey avoidance i cant help but think the longer hitters will have an advantage of more lofted second shots at these holes. Therefore my pick would be Dustin Johnson.

The fact i can get to Stricker and Johnson as my picks when they are extreme opposite types of golfer really suggests i have no idea. :lol:

(As an outsider BIll Haas at 80-1 looks a good e/w)

EDIT. Haas 80-1 yesterday, 150-1 today. Not sure if i have missed something - crap practice rounds?)

DOUBLE EDIT. Didnt realise they had tee'd off, Haas +2 through 3 will be why the odds are so high!).

Maroon Sailor

(As an outsider BIll Haas at 80-1 looks a good e/w)

EDIT. Haas 80-1 yesterday, 150-1 today. Not sure if i have missed something - crap practice rounds?)

DOUBLE EDIT. Didnt realise they had tee'd off, Haas +2 through 3 will be why the odds are so high!).

TRIPLE EDIT - Make that +3 thru 4 !

My picks are:

Jason Day 40/1

Jason Dufner 50/1

Bubba Watson 80/1

Thorbjorn Oleson 100/1

Sergio Garcia

Garcia taking a double bogey after the restart and hitting it out of bounds on the next tee shot.

The old saying "You can't win a major on the first day but you can lose one" may apply here.

Maroon Sailor

Quite an unusual course this.

Garcia just gazumped one in to someone's back garden - already +2 for his round

Sergio Garcia

That out of bounds shot meant Garcia ended up taking an 8.

See you at the British Open Sergio this major chance has gone already.

rossthejambo

Thought the last 4/5 holes were meant to be shitters? Looks like folk are getting through them not too badly and getting absolutely rammed in the first 5/6.

Garcia and Stricker for me betting wise.

I'm going to rule Garcia out.

Might pick another couple in a few hours.

Say What Again

What's the story with the pins?

No flag

Saw this on BBC earlier.....

Merion is unique in US Open venues in that you won't find flags fluttering in the breeze atop the pins. Oh no. Merion has wicker baskets. The red ones are for the front nine and the more orangey ones are for the back nine. The reason?

Well nobody appears to be 100% sure. The best supported rumour appears to be that course designer Hugh Irvine Wilson, who hailed from Scotland, popped back to these shores for inspiration and saw similar baskets atop shepherd's staffs and adopted them - the shepherd's baskets were for storing lunch away from their livestock.

The woman who makes the baskets, has done so since 1980, but is kept out of the spotlight. They are taken into the clubhouse at the end of each day's play to stop naughty pilferers, although winners of USGA tournaments get to take one home as a souvenir.

So there you go, you can bore the shit out impress your mates in the pub at the weekend. :)

Sergio Garcia

A birdie followed by an eagle for Garcia, back to 4 over. If he can somehow finish up today at around 2 or 3 over he has got to think of it as a good day after a horror start.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

So there you go, you can bore the shit out impress your mates in the pub at the weekend. :)

I can do that without talking golf :lol:

Haas +5 thru 5

Wonder what his price is now ?!

He started badly, dipped in the middle and fell away at the end. :lol:

When i said "outsider" i obviously meant outside the cut :whistling:

Rudi Skacel

I do like the US Open, i love the fact its set up so that when you get a birdie, it really is a great shot to pick up and par golf is key.

Sergio Garcia

Garcia managed to get in at 3 over which from being 7 over earlier is a very good score in the end.

Snedeker in at 4 over and Manassero currently at 5 over with 2 to play means my afternoon players Luke and Rory need to have decent rounds.

Rudi Skacel

Although I hate the number of adverts there are, at least thats the best thing about the Open.

Maroon Sailor

Although I hate the number of adverts there are, at least thats the best thing about the Open.

Might be not so many adverts now.

Tiger is on the course - so that means Tigercam and David Livingstone mentioning his name at every opportunity

Archived