Chicago and Boston

Gershwin

I know there was a thread on here about Chicago but I couldn't find it so apologies for going over old ground...

Heading to Chicago for a wedding in August and I'm looking for things to do. Got time to kill before the wedding in Park Ridge and I think we want (well the bird does) to head up to the Lake Michigan to chill oot. Any ideas? What else would folk recommend?

Same goes for Boston and the surrounding area as we're going to head there afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

Baws wrong place. Could you move this to the shed Mods?

I know there was a thread on here about Chicago but I couldn't find it so apologies for going over old ground...

Heading to Chicago for a wedding in August and I'm looking for things to do. Got time to kill before the wedding in Park Ridge and I think we want (well the bird does) to head up to the Lake Michigan to chill oot. Any ideas? What else would folk recommend?

Same goes for Boston and the surrounding area as we're going to head there afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

Is this Hearts related??

Baseball = rounders.

I'd rather watch ice melt!!!

I've to a baseball game before and it was pretty dull. 4 hours of not very much.

coppercrutch
I've to a baseball game before and it was pretty dull. 4 hours of not very much.

Aye but you just sit and get swallied. !! Cracking fun.

davemclaren
Aye but you just sit and get swallied. !! Cracking fun.

Just like cricket then? :)

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22188

Also, there are some great sandy beaches on Lake Michigan when you head out of Chicago - South Haven, for example, is a great wee town with good beaches, but it's about three hours drive from Chicago.

Cheers, I like the way it was my own thread you gave a link to :)

South Haven sounds like the kind of thing we're looking for.

Luived in chicago for over a year

Awesome

As CC says go to a sports game either cubbies or the Bears (outdoor ones)

Blackhawks and Bulls are indoor.

The Lakeshore during summer is amazing - always something going on

"mins form Wrigleyfield is a pub I used to work in. It has a Hearts trip hanging up. It's called then Hye Bar - check that out

Baseball = rounders.

I'd rather watch ice melt!!!

So wrong

It is a superb day out.

Games are exciting IMO and ther day out if fantastic

Just sit and get reeko anonid

alwaysthereinspirit

Thanks in advance.

Boston is a good take. Reminds me a lot of Edinburgh. Park the car and then walk everywhere. If you cant get tickets for a Sox game (standing room only) try and do the stadium tour of Fenway Park. Fanueil Hall is good at night for bars and restaurants. The aquarium is good for the kids during the day.

Heading north of the city towards New Hampshire and Maine there's lots of places to visit. Rockport or Gloucester in Mass. Portsmouth, Kittery (outlet stores) in NH or Portland in Maine are all pretty nice walking around places. Whale watching is a good time too as long as the weather is good. Most guarantee a whale sighting or you get half your money back.

South of Boston you have the Cape but thats more for sun lovers although if its off season it can be fun doing the antique stores. Or thats what my "boss" tells me. Tons of good stuff in the New England area but depends on when you're here. Have fun.

Chester™

If I see my mate who goes has been to Boston every summer for the last 6 years, i'll get some info for you Gershwin. He raves about it and I think if he could have his way he would emigrate there! I suspect something will revolve around going to Fenway but im sure I can get sites to go to that dont involve the Red Sox!

The Wicker Man

Boston is not bad - if you are staying in the centre, then you can get around fairly easily on the subway or on foot. Hotels in the city centre are fairly expensive though.

As mentioned there is a a big outlet complex at Kittery up in Maine - there is a smaller one at Wrentham which you can get shuttle buses from.

Cape Cod is very 'seasidy' area but you really need a car - though it is a lot easier to find parking than Boston !

Archived