Hayfever

championsleaguefan

championsleaguefan

I feel crap the now off work on the sick either hayfever or a heavy flu.

Anyone got any tips for hayfever relief.

I have the tablets from the docs but they only take the edge of it I feel really tired .

hughesie27

double strength ibuprofen 2 hours later 2 paracetemol 2 hours later ibuprofen 2 hours later paracetemol etc etc.

Doctor FinnBarr
I feel crap the now off work on the sick either hayfever or a heavy flu.

Anyone got any tips for hayfever relief.

I have the tablets from the docs but they only take the edge of it I feel really tired .

I get it quite bad but find that the Boots own brand anti-histamine tablets work best.

:confused:

Absolute joke that so many people lose days to hayfever! I've had it since I was 10 and it gets me all year round, god knows how many things set it off. I reckon I lose 1 day out of 15 to it just now and doctors do absolutely nothing!

Yet to discover a cure for it sadly.......

chester copperpot

I find most anti-histamine's dont work for me, but the boots one's mentioned seem to work best for me too, and they're pretty cheap.

Never been off work with hayfever, but get it quite bad. It just gives me sleepless nights, as I get quite asthmatic with it, but tend to be ok in the morning. Itchy eye's and a runny nose really gets on ma naggins after a while though. Not had it so far this year, but am expecting it to come on strong pretty soon.

Chester™

I can get it really bad and two summers ago I was housebound for nearly the whole summer. Nothing worked until I found the nasal spray, Beconase. You can get it in most supermarkets and pharmacies (although the price gets bumped up now so prescription maybe the best way to go). Couple that with cold relief tablets and some ibuprofen and it worked 90% of the time but that was in a crappy summer last year.

I can get it really bad and two summers ago I was housebound for nearly the whole summer. Nothing worked until I found the nasal spray, Beconase. You can get it in most supermarkets and pharmacies (although the price gets bumped up now so prescription maybe the best way to go). Couple that with cold relief tablets and some ibuprofen and it worked 90% of the time but that was in a crappy summer last year.

I use Beconase as well, it is great. I get Hayfever every year but never had it so bad that I had to be off work.

coppercrutch

I use flixonase. It works a treat for me.

Also I snort water up my shnoz and splash my eyes when it gets bad. Works a treat. Although if doing this in a pub toilet beware people may think you have a SERIOUS drug problem..... :)

I used to get it really bad - sit in my office and get no work done... bad breathing, sneazin, eyes. 22 now and had it since i was a young pup, 2 years ago was really bad, last year nothing and so far this year nothing? dont know if it will come back but i hope not.

but to answer nothing i used really helped, plus it was costing me about ?25-30 for all the drugs at the pharmacy :(

double strength ibuprofen 2 hours later 2 paracetemol 2 hours later ibuprofen 2 hours later paracetemol etc etc.

Dont take pain relief as often as this it will damage your liver for one. Take up to eight paracetamol in 24 hours and up to three ibuprofen tablets depending on the strength. You can alternate them like Hughsie says but make sure you dont take too many, always best to read the leaflets advising of doses.

As for antihistamines, I have had hayfever for years and feel really crap some days, have used loads of different types and never really found one that makes me feel tons better. A cool shower after coming in from outside helps wash any pollen away from my hair etc!

brunstanejambo

This weekend has been pretty bad for me - haven't suffered this much for a good few years.

As well as the usual anti-histamines, I rub some vaseline up my nostrils, and that seems to dampen the sore eyes / runny nose feelings a bit.

who said that summer was happy days????

I haven't had any effects from hayfever yet, mine doesn't usually kick in until June.

japanjambo

The hay fever season has finished over here, thank goodness. I never actually got hay fever until 2 years ago! We have all kinds of stuff over here for it. Masks(very effective), nasal sprays, eye drops that stop the eyes itching(they're great!), and the usual tablets. I tried to avoid taking the tablets. They did a great job, but they made me soooooooooooooooo thirsty!

Hope you feel better soon champ!

Lynn

I'm on Loratadine pills, Beconase nasal spray and Opticrom eye drops. I get them on prescription from the doctor's, and they work brilliantly for me - which is good, because I get worse hayfever than anyone that I've ever met.

championsleaguefan

Thanks for all the tips I will try some of them today. not sure about the vasaline up the nose thing. nose would feel like Graham Nortons Kwik fit fitter.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I get Beclomesathone, a spray, on prescription.

I have never been of work at all with it, but it does feck up your summer.

However, whenever I go abroad for a holiday to Spain or France it disappears for the week. Which says something about the pollen count in the UK.

All in all it is a curse of an affliction.

My NHS doctor prescribed a homeopathic alternative to the usual anti-histimines about 15 years ago and I have been taking the tablets ever since during the hay fever season. The tablets are based on mixed grass seed. You take one every two weeks. They work for me with no side effects. I would recommend a visit to Glover's Pharmacy in William Street - they hopefully may be able to help.

My hay fever does not usually kick-off until June. Tree pollen levels are high at the moment and oil seed rape is about to flower.

rossthejambo

my hayfever hasnt quite kicked off yet. but when it does its awful. my eyes are itchy as anythin and my nose is completely blocked for days on end. my brother gets prescription tablets from the doctors. i usually take them and it cures the itchy eyes but my nose is still a pain. might have to try a nasal spray this year

Piriton allergy are the best for Hayfever. I get affected quite bad when there's high pollen but taking one of their one-a-day tablets helps me alot.

Father Tiresias

There is no one solution to hayfever. Something that works for one person will probably not work for the next.

I tried Piriton and all the other tablet remedies but I too use the nasal spray, Beconase. At the first sign of hayfever, usually at this time of year, I use it and after a few days the symptoms are almost gone - although I do carry on using it until the tree pollen (which seems to effect me) has died away.

coppercrutch
My NHS doctor prescribed a homeopathic alternative to the usual anti-histimines about 15 years ago and I have been taking the tablets ever since during the hay fever season. The tablets are based on mixed grass seed. You take one every two weeks. They work for me with no side effects. I would recommend a visit to Glover's Pharmacy in William Street - they hopefully may be able to help.

My hay fever does not usually kick-off until June. Tree pollen levels are high at the moment and oil seed rape is about to flower.

Done. :)

I will tell you how it goes. Although they do say it varies from person to person. Let's hope I am one of those who finds it a great help.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived