Wine

ToadKiller Dog

ToadKiller Dog

Turing into a bit of a wino , never expected this but my crumby local spar has some good wines in stock currently ending a nice roman bottle of frascati .

ToadKiller Dog

I love a bottle of white.

Prefer white myself , bad memories of red wine and that gazza goal against Scotland took a good while to get the red out of the carpet .

Bored of beer and cider

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

All about the white.

I'll drink any old shite. 3 quid out of Asda. Lovely.

Can only drink good white, otherwise I get the worst headaches the next day. Red is like water off a ducks back, I need to put away ridiculous amounts to get a hangover. Nice South African Shiraz tonight.

All about the white.

I'll drink any old shite. 3 quid out of Asda. Lovely.

5052898000896_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg

Halfway through my 2nd bottle of this tonight :jjyay:

ToadKiller Dog

Can only drink good white, otherwise I get the worst headaches the next day. Red is like water off a ducks back, I need to put away ridiculous amounts to get a hangover. Nice South African Shiraz tonight.

The opposite red wine kills me but White I enjoy and can drink buckets of .

When I was an impressionable youth I was told the poets such as Shelly drunk hock so went on a hock phase for a while didn't see many sun rises .

Prefer white myself , bad memories of red wine and that gazza goal against Scotland took a good while to get the red out of the carpet .

Bored of beer and cider

I can't drink Red gives me terrible heartburn :(

Konrad von Carstein

Prefer red, although I chill it in the fridge, whether ?3 or ?6 it goes in the fridge.

GlasgoJambo

Can't drink pish wine anymore. Recent favourite is Picpoul - not ever going to be mass produced so generally a good bet for quality. In the 10 spot region mind but worth it.

Alan Johnson

Do love a good wine.

Bit of a funny one for me, I prefer a red to a white but any more than a bottle of red and I'll be feeling it the next day, whereas white's a lot easier to put back. Usually just results in me thinking it's safe to move onto white after a bottle of red though, mind.

:skitehound:

Ryan Jarman

Chilling red wine :cornette:

Room temperature for the perfect night and a brutal dull hangover

That said, I'm all about a chenin blanc at the moment, lovely stuff.

Chad Sexington

Love a glass of chardonnay.

You can get really high quality stuff here for next to nowt.

Guest C00l K1d

All tastes like vinegar to me, even red.

My birds dads right into his wine and he let me taste some of his nicer stuff, think it was around ?60 a bottle and it still tasted the same as the shite you'd get for a fiver. IMO anyway

hughesie27

Used to hate white and love red. Nowni am starting to shift in the opposite direction and Rose is my new favourite.

Blossom hill is particularly good. And cheap.

Guest C00l K1d

Used to hate white and love red. Nowni am starting to shift in the opposite direction and Rose is my new favourite.

Blossom hill is particularly good. And cheap.

Almost certain you can get that in the chanter for like 5er a bottle.

Gd 4 cheep birdz

hughesie27

Almost certain you can get that in the chanter for like 5er a bottle.

Gd 4 cheep birdz

Used to be able to. Now they have changed it to some rank gear called D'vine :facepalm:

Paulie Walnut

Common misconception about red wine is that it should be served at room temperature. It should be serve at 13-16C and allowed to breath.

Common misconception about red wine is that it should be served at room temperature. It should be serve at 13-16C and allowed to breath.

Agree, i think the phrase room temperature gets confused with cellar temperature

Rose for me. Although I barely drink anymore so I've still got the two bottles I got on my birthday chilling in the fridge. Will get rattled into them on graduation day :jjyay:

Alan Johnson

I think it's cause generally they serve it at room temperature in France/Spain etc. where it's made. Which is fine, but their room temperature tends to be a bit different to ours in Scotland...

It is not as unusual as you think, chilling red.

hughesie27

I reckon chilling red would make it taste better for me now.

Something about "warm" alcohol just isn't right.

Konrad von Carstein

Started chilling red after being served it chilled in a restaurant in Barcelona, prefer it chilled now - personal preference I'm not advocating it for everyone!

I can't drink Red gives me terrible heartburn :(

Funny that, I can't drink much white for the same reason!

Love my reds though, currently enjoying South American reds a lot, particularly Carmenere from Chile and the old favourite Argentinean Malbec :cheers:

I like a bit of fizz and prefer cava and prosecco to champagne. Don't like red and the way it feels on your teeth, seems to coat them and feels horrible.

Fermit the Krog

It's a seasonal thing for me. The thought of a cold glass of red wine on a winters night doesn't appeal. Each to their own though.

I do prefer white generally and have a Casa Roscoli Pinot Grigio in the fridge which will be served with Sea Bass fillets, chorizo and potatoes for dinner.

:silvio:

I do like a nice glass of red more something I drink with a meal as opposed to on its own.

Never tried it chilled and have to say sounds really bizzare to me I would imagine it kind of counteracts the warmth of the red.

Though as said haven't tried so dont know does it make taste different?

There are certainly light Italian reds that are supposed to be chilled.

Konrad von Carstein

I'm not in the slightest saying this why I do it but this guy explains why, if you are a wine buff, you may wish to at least try chilling red wine. Ironic his opening paragraph describes a scene in Barcelona, given that this is where I first tried chilled red.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jul/05/tim-atkin-chilled-red-wine

I'm not in the slightest saying this why I do it but this guy explains why, if you are a wine buff, you may wish to at least try chilling red wine. Ironic his opening paragraph describes a scene in Barcelona, given that this is where I first tried chilled red.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jul/05/tim-atkin-chilled-red-wine

I've always agreed with his theory that the room temperature thing was agreed when rooms were generally colder in houses. I know people who will open a bottle of red and then sit it next to the fire as they drink it. Warm wine isn't a good thing in any way.

Chilling reds slightly is the best idea. When England were in the huff with us many years ago, Edinburgh was the main market for Claret and Port. The sensible French and Portugese slightly changed the wyt they produced wine to suit the Scottish market. Room temperature was of course pre central heating so about 16c would be about right. But, what you should do with red is hold the glass so your hand warms the wine. The difference in complexity of the bouquet is wonderful. Hold the stem for whites though.

PortyJambo

What with all this chat of chilled red, has anyone ever tried sparkling red before? Served chilled, of course:

http://www.wine-sear...y sparkling red

Lovely stuff!

I used to have one a few years ago...very frequently, too frequently probably. Banrock Station sparkling Shiraz I think it was. Lovely stuff, and far too drinkable.

I am the opposite, it has to be a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand or Chile and 13% alcohol or above!

I am the opposite, it has to be a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand or Chile and 13% alcohol or above!

One of my problems is that the white that I really enjoy that also doesn't give me a bad head is Chablis, and that's an expensive habit to get into.

One of my problems is that the white that I really enjoy that also doesn't give me a bad head is Chablis, and that's an expensive habit to get into.

Pay a visit to Majestic Wine and try a good quality Sauv Blanc. Chablis is the French name for Chardonnay and although ok, does not have the same sharpness as Sauv Blanc. Majestic always have sample wines to taste. Dont take your car!!

Pay a visit to Majestic Wine and try a good quality Sauv Blanc. Chablis is the French name for Chardonnay and although ok, does not have the same sharpness as Sauv Blanc. Majestic always have sample wines to taste. Dont take your car!!

Yeah I know but the thing I like about Chablis is the lack of sharpness, probably because I normally drink red. The most I have ever spent on a bottle of booze in my life was $150 on a bottle of Chablis in Gordon Ramsey's place in New York as my wife who normally drank red fancied white that night. I went for the old 2nd cheapest on the wine list rule for Chablis. Though it may have been the bet wine I have ever tasted.

I've always agreed with his theory that the room temperature thing was agreed when rooms were generally colder in houses. I know people who will open a bottle of red and then sit it next to the fire as they drink it. Warm wine isn't a good thing in any way.

Love my reds warm. Always stick a bottle on the radiator. Cold red wine gives me a shiver

All roads lead to Gorgie

If anyone is looking for a good value red I find a Corbieres from the Languedoc in southern france is one to go for. Most Chilean reds fit the bill aswell.

Had a rather nice Romanian Pinot Noir last night.

Prefer red, but white is good too. Of the whites, a nice Sauvignon Blanc is possibly my favourite, but happy to drink whatever. Vina Sol Spanish white is nice. Not as dry as a Sauv B or a chardonnay.

Think I prefer old world reds to new world, although Chilean wine is tops.

BoJack Horseman

Only got into drinking wine in the last year or so. Dangerous stuff. Too easy to drink and catches up with you quickly. Many a lost night on the red. Can't really drink cheap whites as they taste like vinegar, cheap red is ok, and both ok in a pricier variant. Not at the point where I can differentiate between different types or qualities though. It's either good or bad.

Tommy Wiseau

Like an Australian Shiraz, me. The 2009 Redbank Fighting Flat is a good one, but very difficult to get a hold of if you're not buying in bulk off the internet. Usually go for a Mad Bay or something similar if buying out the supermarket. I know next to nothing about wine, but those have a nice taste without being too fruity - had a Wolf Blass one the other week and it was far too sweet and fruity. I only spend about a tenner on a bottle but definitely notice the difference between that and cheaper ones.

Just started getting into the Malbec off a recommendation as well, decent stuff.

The only thing I know about wine is it gives me horrendous hangovers...

:raging: as it'd be much cheaper

PortyJambo

Had a rather nice Romanian Pinot Noir last night.

Pinot Noir's a red that sometimes benefits from half an hour in the fridge before drinking, probably because it's one of the lighter reds.

I love a nice Argentinian Malbec, especially with a decent steak, a match that isn't surprising considering the Argie love of red meat. The only wine that I really can't drink is the New Zealand style of Sauvignon Blanc, it's the smell of it that puts me off for some reason.

Auld Reekin'

There are certainly light Italian reds that are supposed to be chilled.

Same goes for some Spanish and Portuguese ones too. Typically, in Spain in the summer, if you just ask for a glass of red wine it will be a young wine ("tinto joven") you will be served, and it will have been chilled. Thankfully, they don't do this to any of the crianzas or reservas, or not in my experience anyway!

I can take or leave chilled red wine and much prefer a ros? / rosado if I fancy a cold wine. There are some cracking rosados from Navarra in particular, but they also make very good ones in other regions, such as: Campo de Borja; Cari?ena; various of the regions in Catalu?a; and, of course, Rioja. There are some great ones from Languedoc-Roussillon and Provence too. It breaks your heart, that you can pick-up a pretty decent bottle in France or Spain for a couple of euros, whereas here they're asking ?6 or ?7 for some horrible "blush" (i.e. a sugary mixture of poor-quality red and white wine, not a ros? vinified in the proper way, from red grapes with only minimal skin contact or a mixture of red and white grapes) shite from California. :boak:

Archived