wireless router

superjack

was just wondering, if I swapped my netgear wireless router for 1 that I bought, how much would it improve the coverage around my house. my daughters bedroom only gets a little coverage if she sits in the right spot. if a decent 1 would improve that, how much would I be looking at spending?

Dr. Bapswent

Good question - how have routers 'improved' as i still use my old Netgear one that ive had for years, never any problem, but could it be better?

I couldn't get a wifi signal in my extension. Bought a wifi booster from PC world for ?25. Works a treat and piece of p:ss to set up

Stuart McNeill

Im sure they improve by being able to provide you with a higher speed per second!

Also, may give a stronger signal as well!

Later wireless technologies give higher speeds. Any decent sized house benefits from having more than one router. Easy to do if you can run an ethernet cable between the modem and a second router. Make sure you are on a device that uses 802.11g for the best speeds.

I have 2 wireless routers in different rooms - each has the same SSID (name) and same password. Walking through the house with the iPad it automatically switches to the one with the strongest signal.

I have been able to run ethernet cable under the floor. Sometimes the easiest way to run ethernet is to run it in the attic and put wireless routers at strategic locations in the roof space (if you have power up there).

Should have said 802.11n as the latest standard and fastest speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

If you are using the extenders that jambovambo suggested you will want to make sure that your primary router is 802.11n to get the best out of them.

Some cheap ones on EBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-Wireless-N-802-11-AP-Wifi-Range-Router-Repeater-Extender-Booster-UK-Plug-/300734843532?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item4605318a8c

Sky have just replaced my 3yo router with their new one,free of charge. Internet speed was rubbish and never got a signal in my conservatory. Now it even works in the back garden. :10900:

Sky have just replaced my 3yo router with their new one,free of charge. Internet speed was rubbish and never got a signal in my conservatory. Now it even works in the back garden. :10900:

What make and model of router is it? If its a freebie, I might be able to pick one up on the cheap from eBay.

mrmarkus1981

Don't buy anything made by Edimax. I 'upgraded' ps3 couldn't find it in same room

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Just make sure your equipment is utilising the WDS standard, then you can connect them together wirelessly to create a meshed network (ie position one top of house, other bottom of house and your network is strong all the way through). The methodology is different depending on the manufacturer but mainly...

1. Internet router set to MASTER, all others to SLAVE (or activate WDS on all and add each MAC address to the other)

2. Configure all with same SSID

3. Configure all with same encryption standard and pass phrase

4. Put all on same channel (that's usually set automatically though).

Got interference? Get Metageek's Insidder and test the networks around you then set your channel so it is separate to others. 1, 6 and 11 are all separate, those in between these numbers overlap. 13 is a UK only channel, some USA kit doesn't work with it (wireless cards specifically).

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

MIMO routers / those that use two channels tend to have the best coverage (multiple aerials / 20+40 bands).

I tend to use Draytek, cost more but plenty of options for configuration. They can be daunting for non-tech types but there are enough FAQs out there to assist.

Another option to check out is homeplug technology, pushes your connection around the house using your electrical ring power network. They can be fast and saves running cable but overall WDS is good enough and easier to use imo.

What make and model of router is it? If its a freebie, I might be able to pick one up on the cheap from eBay.

Its a Sagemcom, don't know model but will be the latest that Sky supply.

was just wondering, if I swapped my netgear wireless router for 1 that I bought, how much would it improve the coverage around my house. my daughters bedroom only gets a little coverage if she sits in the right spot. if a decent 1 would improve that, how much would I be looking at spending?

It could improve considerably depending on what you buy. I think you get N, N+ G and G+, from memory the G+ is the stronger and will go through thicker walls. I had a Belkin G+, got full strength signal everywhere in the house.

Archived