News Quiz v Now Show

GlasgoJambo

GlasgoJambo

Always a wee bit gutting when you tune in (or do the podcasts as I do) and it's the Now Show.

Not that it's awful, just ain't no News Quiz.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A contest between Jeremy Hardy and Jon Holmes to see who is less funny? Difficult question.

Always a wee bit gutting when you tune in (or do the podcasts as I do) and it's the Now Show.

Not that it's awful, just ain't no News Quiz.

Exactly how I feel. I like Hardy and Susan Calman is pretty good on it too. Hugh Dennis on the Now Show gets right on my manchebs though.

I haven't heard of In Our Time but I'll give it a go. Anybody got any other recommendations for decent podcasts?

I P Knightley

I'll happily listen to both or either of them. Each has nuggets of mirth to go with the bits they could do without.

The one bit that I could properly do without is the quote, "It's called topical for a reason!" If that's supposed to be humorous (a pun or something), I'm afraid it passes me by.

Thankfully, Marcus Brigstock doesn't appear too often these days. A corduroyed Ben Elton and no more.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Non-BBC, I listen to the News from Lake Wobegone, but that's a guilty pleasure that'll probably be mocked by most!

Lake Wobegone. Where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average. What's not to like?

Staying on an NPR theme, I'd most definitely recommend Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me as a very funny news quiz type show from the US of A, available on podcast.

Lake Wobegone. Where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking and all the children are above average. What's not to like?

Staying on an NPR theme, I'd most definitely recommend Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me as a very funny news quiz type show from the US of A, available on podcast.

wait wait.. is superb, well worth downloading, even if like me, you dont have anyting to do with the USA.

as for NQ and Now show, i too have a surge of dissapointment when i see the its switched, however the NQ has definitly lost an edge since Alan Coren passed.

GlasgoJambo

I haven't heard of In Our Time but I'll give it a go. Anybody got any other recommendations for decent podcasts?

My only totally regular one is the Guardian Football Weekly podcast (and Football Weekly Etraaaaaa) - sporadically I'll do Radio 4 Comedy of the Week, Documentary of the Week, Kermode and Mayo's film review and This American Life.

I have a load of philosophy and history podcasts on my iPod which I'll listen to when I've exhausted anything current.

Comedy-wise Richard Herring's As It Occurs To Me (AIOTM) was sensationally good - three series of poorly scripted, hastily written live podcasts - I think all available on iTunes. like a good sitcom it took a bit of time to get going but once you get the gist the in-jokes, self parody and middle-aged male immature observations and gripes are superb. Listen right from the start though as the funniest bits are referential and on-going jokes

Also Daniel Kitson - a couple of his tour shows recorded at Edinburgh Stand are on his website and available as free downloads.

Yes AIOTM was class. Miss it and the Collins and Herring podcasts.

Archived