Hearts Museum Project

W45

Does anybody have a contact number or Email address for the people that look after the Hearts archive/Museum project. If so can you please PM it to me.

WorldChampions1902

What museum?

I think the original plans have been binned. The best we can hope for are a few glass presentation cases dotted here and there but no purpose-built facility.

Another opportunity missed :sad:

Buffalo Bill

Indeed, if Hearts don't build this, they'll have passed up a chance of getting fans and (maybe even) tourists through the door, seven days a week.

Anyone who has been through the Manchester Utd museum will tell you we could easily do the same using this model (minus all the silverware).

Man U had:

• History of the club (story wall, videos)
  • All the club strips
  • Legends area
  • Munich 58 area (we could do WW1)
  • Kids interactive zone
  • Wall of every player's name
  • Lots of old stuff like programmes, tat
  • Trophies

I hope someone from Hearts is reading this.

Buffalo Bill

davemclaren
Indeed, if Hearts don't build this, they'll have passed up a chance of getting fans and (maybe even) tourists through the door, seven days a week.

Anyone who has been through the Manchester Utd museum will tell you we could easily do the same using this model (minus all the silverware).

Man U had:

• History of the club (story wall, videos)
  • All the club strips
  • Legends area
  • Munich 58 area (we could do WW1)
  • Kids interactive zone
  • Wall of every player's name
  • Lots of old stuff like programmes, tat
  • Trophies

I hope someone from Hearts is reading this.

Buffalo Bill

Barcelona's is impressive as well. :)

Buffalo Bill
Barcelona's is impressive as well. :)

Real Madrid have a trophy the size of a wendy house!

What are your thought on the Hearts idea?

Buffalo Bill

davemclaren

Buffalo Bill

I think a museum would be great. Sadly a lot of our historical stuff seems to have gone missing over the years due to neglect. :mad:

davemclaren
Does anybody have a contact number or Email address for the people that look after the Hearts archive/Museum project. If so can you please PM it to me.

There's no museum but the official historian is Alex Knight I believe. Contact Tynecastle and I'm sure they will put you in touch.

You haven't found Bobby Walker's watch in you attic have you? :confused:

Buffalo Bill
I think a museum would be great. Sadly a lot of our historical stuff seems to have gone missing over the years due to neglect. :mad:

Yeah, and it's been speculated as to who might have lifted it.

It least we still have the ball from the 1896 cup final.

Buffalo Bill

Imeantasong

Did the '58 and '60 League flags ever get returned / found?

Did the '58 and '60 League flags ever get returned / found?

No.

They were still asking for return of the missing memorabilia in the last programme.

WorldChampions1902

Indeed, some important (H)artefacts have gone missing in recent times but from what I have heard, there is a wealth of material still available to make the museum project well-worthwhile.

1. The club have loaned imporant items to the Hampden museum, simply because they cannot display them.

2. There are a lot of club artefacts held in secure storage - doing what exactly?

3. There are some serious collectors who I'm sure would be willing to loan items long-term.

4. A proper museum would present a unique opportunity to 'commemorate' the tragic events of WWI and the impact on all the Scottish clubs and their supporters who enrolled in McCrae's Battalion and who suffered such terrible losses. How many school kids would take a real interest in History if a field trip involved a visit to a proper Hearts Museum where they could relate to their club and their Great Grandfathers sacrifices? How many tourists would want to visit such a museum? Look what has happened to the tourist traffic at Contalmaison since the cairn was erected. The potential is huge.

It is my firmly held belief that a carefully planned and tasteful project would be self-financing and provide a fantastic platform for celebrating our clubs rich history. Sadly, I do not believe that a museum will happen. We're spending the breath-taking sum of ?50 million on a new stand and are not going to invest in a proper facility. On what basis is such a decision being made?

Very, very sad :(

Indeed, some important (H)artefacts have gone missing in recent times but from what I have heard, there is a wealth of material still available to make the museum project well-worthwhile.

1. The club have loaned imporant items to the Hampden museum, simply because they cannot display them.

2. There are a lot of club artefacts held in secure storage - doing what exactly?

3. There are some serious collectors who I'm sure would be willing to loan items long-term.

4. A proper museum would present a unique opportunity to 'commemorate' the tragic events of WWI and the impact on all the Scottish clubs and their supporters who enrolled in McCrae's Battalion and who suffered such terrible losses. How many school kids would take a real interest in History if a field trip involved a visit to a proper Hearts Museum where they could relate to their club and their Great Grandfathers sacrifices? How many tourists would want to visit such a museum? Look what has happened to the tourist traffic at Contalmaison since the cairn was erected. The potential is huge.

It is my firmly held belief that a carefully planned and tasteful project would be self-financing and provide a fantastic platform for celebrating our clubs rich history. Sadly, I do not believe that a museum will happen. We're spending the breath-taking sum of ?50 million on a new stand and are not going to invest in a proper facility. On what basis is such a decision being made?

I doubt that the club/UBIG can afford to rebuild the stand. If I am wrong and they do build the stand, all extraneous bells and whistles will surely be dumped and we will get a breeze block and steel stand like everywhere else?

Wee Jamboree

Buffalo Bill

DSC_3060Small.jpg

avhudtheteeshirt

Its always the same up comes an great idea and it gets binned or set aside.

Why should Hearts fans wait for the Club to do this, why not get around the table all the Hearts Supporters Clubs and formulate plans for helping to put a new museum of Hearts Traditions in the proposed plans for the main stand.

After all we the Hearts fans made the Club, WE should be apart of the structure of the museum. Anyone up for the task?

WorldChampions1902
Its always the same up comes an great idea and it gets binned or set aside.

Why should Hearts fans wait for the Club to do this, why not get around the table all the Hearts Supporters Clubs and formulate plans for helping to put a new museum of Hearts Traditions in the proposed plans for the main stand.

After all we the Hearts fans made the Club, WE should be apart of the structure of the museum. Anyone up for the task?

Great idea!! I believe the the fans are up for it - will the current owners engage in meaningful discussions then? :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but is there a case for the different fans organisations to get together to put a case to the club for a museum, and even help fundraise for such a project?

I can't see any negatives in having a museum and if done correctly, in assocciation with the club shop and stadium tours, it would generate revenue.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but is there a case for the different fans organisations to get together to put a case to the club for a museum, and even help fundraise for such a project?

I can't see any negatives in having a museum and if done correctly, in assocciation with the club shop and stadium tours, it would generate revenue.

Fantastic idea.

What a waste of an opportunity it would be if the club didn't pursue this.

And I'm sure loads of Hearts fans would be honoured to have their possessions put on display at Tynecastle.

Buffalo Bill

There's no museum but the official historian is Alex Knight I believe. Contact Tynecastle and I'm sure they will put you in touch.

Minor point, but might help your quest - I believe Alex Knight is the archivist and David Speed is the offical Club Historian.

Most of this stuff is held at a Len Lothian storage unit, who are refusing Hearts entry as they have not been paid.

The museum idea is superb though and it would be a real shame if we didnt have one with the history of our club.

Most of this stuff is held at a Len Lothian storage unit, who are refusing Hearts entry as they have not been paid.

Now there's a surprise :rolleyes:

Fantastic idea.

What a waste of an opportunity it would be if the club didn't pursue this.

And I'm sure loads of Hearts fans would be honoured to have their possessions put on display at Tynecastle.

There's a lot of stuff out there in private hands that would more than complement the clubs holdings (if they pay the bill to get them back).

The tourist aspect is potentially huge, with the amount of tourists that visit Edinburgh every year, there will be a big percentage of fitba fans who will be glad of a couple of hours away whilst the wife goes shopping!

Also, surely there would be grants out there to help the club set this up, given that it would be very much a project based on an Edinburgh institution, and a potential tourist attraction/educational facility?

Craig Herbertson

I just came back from the Manchester derby and took a wander down to Old Trafford. The place is a money making machine and its done with real style. We are the Scottish Club with more history than the rest put together. Its criminal to waste it

WorldChampions1902
There's a lot of stuff out there in private hands that would more than complement the clubs holdings (if they pay the bill to get them back).

The tourist aspect is potentially huge, with the amount of tourists that visit Edinburgh every year, there will be a big percentage of fitba fans who will be glad of a couple of hours away whilst the wife goes shopping!

Also, surely there would be grants out there to help the club set this up, given that it would be very much a project based on an Edinburgh institution, and a potential tourist attraction/educational facility?

In order to secure public funding, whether it be Lottery Grants or any other type of financial support, the applicant has to provide a degree of openess with regards to its finances. I guess that rules us out? :rolleyes:

Why not get Len Lothian Storage to host the Museum for a cut of the revenues?

Job done.

In order to secure public funding, whether it be Lottery Grants or any other type of financial support, the applicant has to provide a degree of openess with regards to its finances. I guess that rules us out? :rolleyes:

Ah, you have a point there......

Archived