Hearts 70s - Ajax Style Strip

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Anybody have the Hearts styled Ajax strip worn in the 70s ?

What do you remember about it and why did they scrap it ?

To me it would be a record seller in todays market with it's classic retro look

it would be a great top for young and old Jambos .

I for one would like to see it brought back and can only hope it is next

seasons away strip .

Any thoughts ?

Charlie-Brown

Me & some mates got about 20 copies made by Toffs several years back with the centenary HMFC 1874 crest. It is a cool strip!

Goose Baxter

Think it would be an amazing top to bring back but when you look and see what the tops are made with today, material wise. I dont think that it would look as good.

The Marooney Meister

I have the Toffs one also, but it's still not like how I remember the actual 70's strip being. I also think this would be a great seller if brought back for next seasons away.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think the crest is accurate in that photo - I remember one of my pals had to template the correct badge from an old programme or centenary souvegnier or something like that....it was a big H & M letters intertwined with F.C. & 1874

We got Toffs to make 'proper' ones although they had copyright concerns. ;)

Csaba's Broon Shoes
I have a friend who is selling an original one of these. Please PM me if interested.

An original being match worn or bought in the 70's , what size ?

The Marooney Meister
I have a friend who is selling an original one of these. Please PM me if interested.

I'd imagine this would fetch a healthy price in the FOR SALE section or on e-bay. :P

It's an original players top and appeared in very good condition. I don't know the size unfortunately.

Charlie-Brown

I doubt there are many / any originals left as we carried out quite an exhaustive search about 15 years ago - we got a few spare copies made to meet Toffs minimum order quantity - we sold a few of these extras at a decent profit to reduce the price of our own copy strips - the crest was original - I don't think that crest appeared on anything but the players actual strips as the 70's replica & original Toff strips were plain white with maroon band. Some also had a 'Heart' badge which was clearly wrong.

Doctor FinnBarr
Anybody have the Hearts styled Ajax strip worn in the 70s ?

What do you remember about it and why did they scrap it ?

To me it would be a record seller in todays market with it's classic retro look

it would be a great top for young and old Jambos .

I for one would like to see it brought back and can only hope it is next

seasons away strip .

Any thoughts ?

It was a Bobby Seith idea, because Leeds had changed from yellow to all white to try and catch some of the success that Real Madrid had, he decided that we were going to look like Ajax!

;)

Imeantasong

Wasn't a copy availabale for years in the Hearts shop? And I mean to at least last year.

Along with a 50's maroon top and an older candy-striped one?

Charlie-Brown
Wasn't a copy availabale for years in the Hearts shop? And I mean to at least last year.

Along with a 50's maroon top and an older candy-striped one?

They were as the club tried to cash in on demand BUT they had a the 'heart' shaped club badge which was clearly not an authentic replica of the original style strip.

Instead of ordering from Toffs try Football Nation on Lothian Road.

I got the silver 86 top from there 2 weeks ago and they also do the 60`s top, 70/80`s umbro top, Ajax style and 50`s style and the candy strip.

They do sell pretty well so there may be sometimes certain ones aren`t in, but they do re-stock.;)

Chad Sexington

I got the Toffs one from the club shop a couple of years back. It set me back about ?40 IRC.

It's not bad but I'm not too keen on the cuffs for some reason. They look a bit crap.

The official reason why it was scrapped was that we wanted to wear our traditional strip during our centenary year. Many thought that it was because 1972-3 was a very bad season; we finished 10th, went out of the League Cup in the group stage & the Scottish Cup at the first attempt. We also lost 7-0 to Hibs, although we didn't wear the Ajax style strip in that game; as it clashed with their white sleeves they wore all green tops at Easter Road & we wore our traditional shirts at Tynecastle. At that time the home team changed in the event of a colour clash.

Those strips were of very poor quality.

I had one at the time but when I went to try it on a few years ago it had clearly shrunk :)

jamboian2006

We might yet get one for next season. Check out the new Birmingham away kit. As Birmingham are Umbro and from last season Umbro tend to use the same template but with just a few alterations for each individual club what would everyone think about this kit for us with the maroon band?

I'd buy one. Think it would be a great kit

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/08/09-kits/

Charlie-Brown
We might yet get one for next season. Check out the new Birmingham away kit. As Birmingham are Umbro and from last season Umbro tend to use the same template but with just a few alterations for each individual club what would everyone think about this kit for us with the maroon band?

That I like! :)

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Now we are talking , that is as smart as a bird in the bush

That would sell

inspector

I had one of the original '70's Ajax strips . The material, if I remember correctly, was a thin almost loosely woven cloth not quite knitted but not far from it. Very poor quality. It had the fancy HMFC embroidered in the centre of the chest as per the photo. After a couple of washes it lost its shape completely. That's what you get for boil-washing everything. Thank God for washing instructions.

Guest Tynie Bubbles
The official reason why it was scrapped was that we wanted to wear our traditional strip during our centenary year. Many thought that it was because 1972-3 was a very bad season; we finished 10th, went out of the League Cup in the group stage & the Scottish Cup at the first attempt. We also lost 7-0 to Hibs, although we didn't wear the Ajax style strip in that game; as it clashed with their white sleeves they wore all green tops at Easter Road & we wore our traditional shirts at Tynecastle. At that time the home team changed in the event of a colour clash.

You seem to be clued up on your Hearts history Gibbo. Did they ever wear short sleeved versions of this shirt or was it only long sleeves? The short sleeved version looks good, but I don't want to get one if they're not authentic.

I got a long sleeved version from the company I mentioned further up this thread and its good quality, washes well etc.

Doctor FinnBarr
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a silver 1986 away top?

I have seen replicas on http://www.scoredraw.com but I'd prefer one complete with the sponsor.

cheers

Don,t even go there!!!!!!!

:evilno:

Those strips were of very poor quality.

I had one at the time but when I went to try it on a few years ago it had clearly shrunk :)

are you sure its not you thats got BIGGER no being funny like

bigwull22
I had one of the original '70's Ajax strips . The material, if I remember correctly, was a thin almost loosely woven cloth not quite knitted but not far from it. Very poor quality. It had the fancy HMFC embroidered in the centre of the chest as per the photo. After a couple of washes it lost its shape completely. That's what you get for boil-washing everything. Thank God for washing instructions.

I think it was called airtex or something similar, no much good for a scottish winter, got one for my 7th birthday, had a hole ripped in it the next day.

Lovecraft

I have one of the Toff's ones. They are very heavy, kinda like wearing a jumper.

Not for use playing football.

Archived