Wifi / Bluetooth home Music System - recommendations.

Angry Haggis

Angry Haggis

Recently decided to start digitising my entire CD collection as my Home Stereo Cd player is busted. Now I also recently won an iPad mini so decided to use iTunes as the medium for digitising along with purchasing iTunes match for cloud based access to iTunes library (as I have an iPhone too).

On the home stereo front was thinking of purchasing a Wifi/Bluetooth system but not sure where to start. I have heard of 'Sonos' as a company/solution in this market space...

Do any KB'rs use Sonos kit/wifi/Bluetooth systems they can recommend?

jack D and coke

I've got a Sonos Play 5 and I love it. Everything streams wirelessly be it your phone, iPod, iPad or PC. Even other people can download the app and you can all queue tracks to play simultaneously. I was looking at the Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin but I didn't like the dock at the front although the sound was really good. The Sonos sound is also very good but the wireless capabilities sold it to me. You need to add the wireless bridge for another ?40 but its worth it IMO.

Having been burnt by a Bose Ipod dock which didn't support subsequent versions of the ipod I'm a bit wary of spending serious money on this kind of thing

That said I quite like the Jambox

It's a portable bluetooth speaker. It costs about a ?100, It charges from the same USB charger as a samsung phone and it's small but genuinely does delivers a big sound. You're not going to be able to use it to soundtrack a rowdy party but if you've got a few mates round for beer it's got more than enough clout, Even if you're getting something big and classy for the living room you might want one for the kitchen, bathroom, taking on picnics etc..

I've also just ordered the "Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter For Bluetooth Audio Devices Home Audio System" for ?25 which is basically a bluetooth receiver with RCA outputs so that it can go into your existing hifi. I'll report back on it once I've tried it.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Been lookingh this too as I saw the new bigger Jambox in PC World the other day

Every review Ive read says the Sonos Play blows it away (wee bit dearer though granted)

Jed The Jedi

Sonos for me. Have the 5 and its a brilliant piece of kit. Run Spotify premium through it :pleasing:

I don't have such a system (I just plug my laptop into my amp or use a docking station with iPhone when in another room) but to give you something different from Sonos - which, from what I've seen, looks very good - you might want to check the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. Ticks all your boxes and Canbridge have a long history of making quality audio products.

Recently decided to start digitising my entire CD collection as my Home Stereo Cd player is busted. Now I also recently won an iPad mini so decided to use iTunes as the medium for digitising along with purchasing iTunes match for cloud based access to iTunes library (as I have an iPhone too).

On the home stereo front was thinking of purchasing a Wifi/Bluetooth system but not sure where to start. I have heard of 'Sonos' as a company/solution in this market space...

Do any KB'rs use Sonos kit/wifi/Bluetooth systems they can recommend?

My neighbour has sonos 3 and it's a good price of kit.

I was unaware of iTunes Match but after a quick search it looks a cracking idea. How do you find it? Is it safe to use if their is illegal downloads on your iTunes?

Angry Haggis

My neighbour has sonos 3 and it's a good price of kit.

I was unaware of iTunes Match but after a quick search it looks a cracking idea. How do you find it? Is it safe to use if their is illegal downloads on your iTunes?

iTunes match is a function that should be available to turn on within your iTunes library assuming you are running the latest version of the software. In terms of your 'Illegal' downloads my under standing of this is that iTunes essentially does not care where the music came from when trying to match it to the iTunes store (older file conversions that included DRM may affect this but i'm no expert on that..).

I found the following helpful regarding iTunes match: http://musicunderfire.com/2012/12/itunes-match-review-pros-and-cons-a-year-later.html

Thanks for all the comments so far on Wireless music systems - just looking on John Lewis web site there are 90 listed so I suppose it comes down to cost...you get what you pay for.

If you have virgin media, login to their website and see if you can get spotify premium for free for a few months.

I got it for six months and really liked it.

That being said, there are big rumours that Google are going to get into online music properly. Their I/O is this week, so could be announced this week... or not

jack D and coke

What's spotify premium like. I'm using rhaposdy but they seem to constantly change there library so one minute song there next day not.

Was thinking of changing but wasn't sure if all the same so to speak.

Spotify use the highest frequency or whatever term they use for such things to stream music so for the likes of a Sonos system it gives the best quality of sound.

Jed The Jedi

What's spotify premium like. I'm using rhaposdy but they seem to constantly change there library so one minute song there next day not.

Was thinking of changing but wasn't sure if all the same so to speak.

I think it's top notch mate. The sound quality is fantastic when playing it through the Sonos, also use it through my SGS3 at work and again the sound quality and amount of available tracks is outstanding. Hollywood Nights, Bob Seger is the only one I have ever searched for that for some reason it's never found. Sure someone will enlighten us to the reason.

Angry Haggis

if you already have a standard hifi with an aux line in you could use this belkin receiver to do the job. Cheap alternative but great quality.

http://www.amazon.co... audio receiver

Thanks for that - old hifi separates are going to hifi heaven now I have decided to digitise entire music collection.....well apart from Vinyl...

If you have virgin media, login to their website and see if you can get spotify premium for free for a few months.

I got it for six months and really liked it.

That being said, there are big rumours that Google are going to get into online music properly. Their I/O is this week, so could be announced this week... or not

Yep bang on the money:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/05/google-play-music-all-access-is-a-subscription-like-spotify/

Archived