What on Earth was the game plan?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Narrow, long balls, players out of position, no wingers, Holt out wide, Sutton on the park, McHattie exposed every time they attacked...

What the **** was the plan?

Tommy Wiseau

Playing percentages. Low percentages at that.

Pathetic.

Narrow, long balls, players out of position, no wingers, Holt out wide, Sutton on the park, McHattie exposed every time they attacked...

get the ball to the front 2 and force mistakes from the debut guy and hanlon, when i saw the lineups i was more than happy with the team, just wasnt expecting that performance.

Two changes from the last game. Arguably adding better players to the team. To be fair to Locke I think he put what he believed to be strong side out.

Too slow to change it though. David Smith and Carrick should've been on quicker. Walker should be tried on the right to cross balls in rather than constantly cutting in (its far too predictable). And taking Taouil off sooner would've helped (really dont see what he adds).

We need a signing policy. We need a few left footed players, especially a left footed wideman (Vigurs?) and someone with a spark and winning attitude (Skacel/McFadden?). An experienced striker wouldnt go a miss and a good ball playing holding midfielder. That'll get us playing much much better. We need to understand you can pass on the ground and be direct (do we teach through passes in trainning these days?) and the tempo needs picked up.

If Motherwell can get Faddy, Higginbottom and Higdon, County Wolfrahm, St Mirren Thompson and Killie Boyd how cant we?!? We got Beattie last year, a crock who got us through to our greatest day since 98 or even since we won a league, but we have this haze of "we're broke". We are cutting back. Bit clubs with less cash have far better balance and quality. Thats what really annoys me. If we are to appoint a new gaffer if Locke goes (I will give him time as the team we have is certainly the worst in my lifetime) then John Murray shouldnt have anything to do with signings for the senior side. Let the manager run that. The clubs who do that in the SPL are doing much better than us.

Can I ask, do we have a scouting network anymore? We dont seem to.

ToadKiller Dog

Hoof up the field for Ngoo to chase to nowhere or hoof for Suttonto knockdown to a nonexistent midfield bursting a gut to get forward .

Hearts best Midfielder came out at halftime to make the draw . Not a single midfielder in our squad is fit to luck Colin Cameron's boots .

Not sure how it would have panned out but we didn't have to change a winning team imo. Ngoo isn't fit and our defence is unsettled when Websters in there. Too many poor performances today, very disappointed :(

Nookie Bear

HOOF.FAIL.HOOF.FAIL.HOOF.FAIL...

Repeat ad infinitum.

MIS-CONTROL.....FOUL.....DIVE..........FALL OVER....

We are the Keystone Cops of the SPL.

Gordon Zola

what other team (in world football) plays 2 big (immobile) guys up front. strange

Russian Hats

On paper I thought it was a strong side when I got sight of teams. Mix of experience and youth an in my mind I thought we were certainties to win and win comfortably given last week and inexperience they had.

Lesson leant. As Locke said afterwards you HAVE to win your battles in derbies and we failed. However the manager did nothing absolutely nothing to change it when after say 30 mins we could all see it wasn't working and we were losing the midfield. Even the subs and lack of re-jigging astonished me. Really poor.

Russian Hats

what other team (in world football) plays 2 big (immobile) guys up front. strange

It is a really good point. Plan A - destroy Hibs defence with big physical strikers. If Plan A doesn't work? We have no Plan B so revert to Plan A.

vegas-voss

Said on thtead i started it lokked to me that they game plan was to smash the ball into Hibs players heads and also to get rid of it as soon as we git it.All except Medhi who has to play roundabouts with it first

Given how well we played last week it was a disappointment to play so direct. Sutton and Ngoo clearly don't work as s partnership, mainly because it encourages everyone else to be lazy with the ball.

Another problem was, as was the case in the other derbies the fullbacks never made any effort to get forward in support of the wide players. This narrow set up is obviously to try and nullify Griffiths and reduce the space for him to run into but it does us more damage than them as it makes it easy to defend against us

GuitarJambo

There couldnt have been a plan. Lockie has played in derby games and knows the game from on the grass. But playing in a derby and managing the squad in the derby are 2 different things.

Should never have played sutton for a start

The players weren't focused. So disjointed it was unreal....whipping boy Webster was the only one who played with balls, we had panic stations in possession all over the park, full backs having no outball with the nearest man 50 yards away, guys jumping out of tackles.....a disgrace of a derby performance in the name of HMFC.

ToadKiller Dog

I know I go on about German football at times but if Schalke or Dortmound had played so shiftless in their derby a good few thousand fans would be turning up at the players training today letting them know exactly the score .

I imagine fans of the Uglies from the west may do the same .

Think the game plan was to have Hamill win a series of throw-ins by waiting until he was closed down and hitting the ball off the first available Hibs forward. That way we would slowly edge our way up the pitch into an attacking position. So novel and cunning it nearly worked.

Alan Johnson

You need a experienced manager to have a game plan!

Not true. You do need one who knows what he's doing though.

One of the worst, if not the worst, derby performance I have ever seen from Hearts. To get bullied by that lot in the middle of the park was shameful.

If you play Taouil, we need to have players supporting him, otherwise he gets himself tied up in knots, but when we have Wlaker and Holt wide on both wings, there is only Stevenson in the middle. Reminded me of when we had Miko and Chesney wide and teams used to steamroller us through the middle.

Formation apart though, the players showed so little fight or desire yesterday. That is inexcusable.

Personally, would have brought on McGowan for Taouil (or Stevenson) and then switched Barr into the middle of the park.

Think the game plan was to have Hamill win a series of throw-ins by waiting until he was closed down and hitting the ball off the first available Hibs forward. That way we would slowly edge our way up the pitch into an attacking position. So novel and cunning it nearly worked.

:lol:

Sounds about right.

Ally Alexander

One of the worst, if not the worst, derby performance I have ever seen from Hearts. To get bullied by that lot in the middle of the park was shameful.

If you play Taouil, we need to have players supporting him, otherwise he gets himself tied up in knots, but when we have Wlaker and Holt wide on both wings, there is only Stevenson in the middle. Reminded me of when we had Miko and Chesney wide and teams used to steamroller us through the middle.

Formation apart though, the players showed so little fight or desire yesterday. That is inexcusable.

Personally, would have brought on McGowan for Taouil (or Stevenson) and then switched Barr into the middle of the park.

Agree.

No physical presence in Midfield. Or even take Ngoo off first and play 4-5-1. Taouill had very little support and basically got out-muscled.

There must have been a game plan - but only Locke can explain what the game plan because as someone who thinks he has a basic grasp of footballing tactics I couldnt even begin to tell you what it was. Apart from hoof the ball upfield to the big man.

Terrible, terrible team performance.

I am not someone who calls for a manager's head at the first opportunity and I know the argument that the most successful clubs tend to have a manager who has been there for a while and has been allowed to build and shape his squad. But at the same time, when you see something is wrong and not that confident that things are going to change...

I want Locke to succeed because I want the team to succeed but I am concerned. I agree with others who said we need a fresh start - someone who has no previous links with the club but plenty of experience.

See the bit about Mchattie exposed?

That brings up a topic discussed on here at length before namely why do our full backs tuck in so far?

The number of times the ball was down the hobos left and the transfered it to Harris who was hugging their right touchline was unbelievable.

This was allowed to happen as McHattie was being dragged in and standing halway across leaving Harris totally alone and in a position to recieve a pass. If Mchattie had been closer to him there is no doubt in my mind they wouldnt attempt these cross field passes.

Not neccessarily having a pop at McHattie as its obvious he is obeying orders, why is the continuing question? I fear Lockie is a firm JJ convert and follows the methods and tactics of his mentor which in many instances are outdated.

In saying that many recent Heartsmanagers seem to do this with full backs I just cant fathom why

Prince Buaben

Last week Ngoo didnt play and we played a bit football and looked pretty good.

This week Ngoo is in the team and we look to lump it into the channels for him.

heartsfc_fan

Simple.

Hibs watched how we played last weekend. Taouil had a stormer last weekend, most of our play went through him.

Hibs hurried Taouil and caused him to have a poor game. That was that.

We had to answer to that.

We need to understand you can pass on the ground and be direct (do we teach through passes in trainning these days?) and the tempo needs picked up.

There's a point, when was the last time we scored with a ball played on the deck, in behind the defence to put someone clean through on goal?

There's a point, when was the last time we scored with a ball played on the deck, in behind the defence to put someone clean through on goal?

You're lucky if it's been happening once a season in the last few years.

Chronic lack of creativity.

Trying to think myself, maybe last season with Beattie v Hibs at Tynie. Last League Derby of the season?

Its a sign to me the coaching isnt up to scratch.

Dale Carrick in my opinion is not a good striker but what he does give us is movement and a bit of pace. He drags defenders into positions they don't want to be in which in turn creates space for other players. Sutton and Ngoo don't give you any of that and if the defenders are up for a battle we lose. Simple.

PapaShango

Ngoo being on the pitch didn't help, the boy is an absolute haddy. Surely we have players in our youth teams that are better than him. I realise he is young but everytime the ball come near him is is falling on his erse and for such a big guy he is as soft as sheeeite. Yesterday was one of the worse Hearts performances I can remember in a derby for a very long time. No heart or fight in the team which is never acceptable, but even more so in a derby. We struggled to string 2 passes together and it baffled me why our best ball player in Holt was shoved out wide on the right. You want to have your best players to get on the ball, having him out there was a complete waste. And Hammil? Geezo, did he fall out with someone in the Wheatfield, all he done was blooter it in there all second half when there was no one near him. Pretty cheesed off a piss poor Hibs team managed to beat us like that, they wanted it more and it showed in the end.

Gene Parmesan

Too 'attacking'. I use inverted commas, because playing attack-minded players does not equate to playing an attacking game.

Fenlon played Locke like a fiddle. He knew we'd stick roughly with the side from the St Mirren game so put his most destructive midfielders in the middle to bully them. When you come out a game having been dominated by Claros and Taiwo, you should really have a good look at yourself.

When it became abundantly clear that Walker was not getting a sniff, we should have completely changed it up, but we didn't. Ngoo had a 'Hampden' day, and so our joker in the pack was gone too.

That brings up a topic discussed on here at length before namely why do our full backs tuck in so far?

The theory, at least, is sound. We believe our centre halves are good enough to deal with crosses, so we give teams the ball wide, then close the angle.

To see it done well, watch Wigan's performance against Man City on Saturday - they worked the narrow line perfectly because City did not have a striker to get himself on the end of crosses. They ended up meandering inside when Wigan congested the play and worked it away from goal.

The problem with it being blindly implemented is that different teams bring different challenges. When McHattie was marking Harris' first touch, we generally had the better of him. But if Harris had the chance to hit the byline, he was pulling out low crosses between the keeper and the defenders. Suicidal stuff.

You're lucky if it's been happening once a season in the last few years.

Chronic lack of creativity.

That and a lack of forwards making the right runs at the right time! Saying that even if Sutton did make the run at the right time I suspect he would get caught before he could get his shot away anyway!

While I take a lot of the points made here and also realise the manager has to respond if its not going well, the players also need to show a bit constitution and stand up to being hurried or physically questioned by rivals.....someone hit the nail on the head that there is no tempo or urgency at times with Hearts.....a manager shouldn't have to change the side after one half because we are being harried....the players had to cone together, think quicker, put themselves into the game and react to their opponent.....but it just highlights our problems really and I've been saying all season we lack character right across the team .....far too many individuals with no needle in their game, not enough of our players get angry when things aren't going well and do enough to turn a game.....I was in the gorgie suite yesterday and Crabbo said that Fenlon went up the tunnel shouting at our players that we "battered you in the first half".....feck me, Hearts teams of old wouldn't have took shite like that.

That and a lack of forwards making the right runs at the right time! Saying that even if Sutton did make the run at the right time I suspect he would get caught before he could get his shot away anyway!

True.

It seems we are only ever interested in signing back to the goals type of strikers rather than strikers who like to run in behind.

It's been the same for years.

See the bit about Mchattie exposed?

The number of times the ball was down the hobos left and the transfered it to Harris who was hugging their right touchline was unbelievable.

This was allowed to happen as McHattie was being dragged in and standing halway across leaving Harris totally alone and in a position to recieve a pass. If Mchattie had been closer to him there is no doubt in my mind they wouldnt attempt these cross field passes.

Not neccessarily having a pop at McHattie as its obvious he is obeying orders, why is the continuing question? I fear Lockie is a firm JJ convert and follows the methods and tactics of his mentor which in many instances are outdated.

In saying that many recent Heartsmanagers seem to do this with full backs I just cant fathom why

Every full back at every level does this.

rudi must stay

Who are the new trialists? Wrong thread, but I may catch an ITKer off guard by posting in this thread

Archived